Little League World Series

11,554 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Carlo4
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bassmaster said:

I'm not suggesting it does, but you already know that. What I'm saying is that playing open bases, and then moving on to 50/70 fields after 10u, and then reverting back to 46/60 at 12u is pretty ridiculous and doesn't meaningfully contribute to a kid's development on the field. It has nothing to do with the MLB or select baseball, but it has everything to do with ridiculous LL rules and field dimensions.

Flipping channels this morning and the Needville game is on. My oldest comes by and asks what age is playing so I tell him and explain about Little League vs. select and other youth baseball governing bodies.

He was completely ignorant of the LLWS and his first thoughts in 12-year olds playing 46/60 with 200-225' fences was "that's stupid for 12-year olds to be playing on those tiny fields." He even said he wouldn't want to play baseball with these weird rules (ie- no leads, steals, etc) and that it wasn't real baseball.

The point of all this is that kids know what their parents expose them to and to an extent what their friends and community do as well. My kid and his buddies don't know or care about Little League or the LLWS- it's adults that do. So you can pretty well surmise that the kids care because the parents do and not some traditional goal of boys all over.
TarponChaser
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

My son made it to a regional tournament this year, and even that experience was worth the effort and was a once in a lifetime event that he'll remember forever.
This is what the "won't help make MLB" and "not worth it" types are missing. It's more than just the on-the-field stuff. It's an experience that most never get to have and I guarantee the kids don't think it's not worth it.

Maybe it's why there are 937 different "World Series" for select ball but I think the boys remember playing at the beach or the pool or whatever with their buddies more than the games.
MooreTrucker
AG
TarponChaser said:

MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

My son made it to a regional tournament this year, and even that experience was worth the effort and was a once in a lifetime event that he'll remember forever.
This is what the "won't help make MLB" and "not worth it" types are missing. It's more than just the on-the-field stuff. It's an experience that most never get to have and I guarantee the kids don't think it's not worth it.

Maybe it's why there are 937 different "World Series" for select ball but I think the boys remember playing at the beach or the pool or whatever with their buddies more than the games.
Exactly my point.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
TarponChaser said:

Bassmaster said:

I'm not suggesting it does, but you already know that. What I'm saying is that playing open bases, and then moving on to 50/70 fields after 10u, and then reverting back to 46/60 at 12u is pretty ridiculous and doesn't meaningfully contribute to a kid's development on the field. It has nothing to do with the MLB or select baseball, but it has everything to do with ridiculous LL rules and field dimensions.

Flipping channels this morning and the Needville game is on. My oldest comes by and asks what age is playing so I tell him and explain about Little League vs. select and other youth baseball governing bodies.

He was completely ignorant of the LLWS and his first thoughts in 12-year olds playing 46/60 with 200-225' fences was "that's stupid for 12-year olds to be playing on those tiny fields." He even said he wouldn't want to play baseball with these weird rules (ie- no leads, steals, etc) and that it wasn't real baseball.

The point of all this is that kids know what their parents expose them to and to an extent what their friends and community do as well. My kid and his buddies don't know or care about Little League or the LLWS- it's adults that do. So you can pretty well surmise that the kids care because the parents do and not some traditional goal of boys all over.

Great teaching moment to explain how 50/70 is not real baseball either.

Just wait til y'all find out about this thing called 7v7 football.

Four Seasons Landscaping
Quote:

doesn't meaningfully contribute to a kid's development on the field.
Correct, it just contributes to a rich childhood and a deeper connection to the community they grew up in.

....but we all know that's not what the "development" obsessed parents spending tens of thousands to get a partial scholarship at a low-academic D-II are living their lives for.
JBAG064
AG
I have a Richmond address and my kids are zoned to Needville for school and and LL.

I don't want to get into a debate on select vs. LL, we all know which has better talent. My 8 year old boys play select and LL.

I do want to say that LL allows kids and families to play baseball/softball that simply the kids may not be competitive enough to compete in select and or no way the families could afford select ball and practice schedules. Point being, I want as many youth to learn the game of baseball and love the game of baseball as we can get. Any kid playing LL while they may not be the next Jose Altuve or JV, they are socializing with other kids and being active while learning new skills vs being on phones or watching stupid youtube videos.

Needville is not as small as of town as it used to be and certainly will be greatly different even 5 years from now but right now in my opinion its a small town, some may disagree and that's fine.

This is a great group of young men on and off the field and families as well. While i'm a bit biased I'm very proud and these young men and the community surrounding them.

Go Needville!

Bassmaster
AG
Two of my sons play league ball (not little league). You really got me there. It isn't about select vs. little league, but nice try.
TarponChaser
Hi, Im Brett said:

Great teaching moment to explain how 50/70 is not real baseball either.

Just wait til y'all find out about this thing called 7v7 football.

It's youth baseball but it's a lot closer
PhatMack19
AG

Scotty Appleton
Taiwan looks like will whip everyone's butts with that 80 mph pitcher throwing.
Aggies2009
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Pfft. Don't matter. I have it on good authority that if you get a southern Texas select team in there against that guy on a 50-foot mound, they'd beat him like he stole something.
TarponChaser
Scotty Appleton said:

He can't pitch every game but they're probably going to win every game he pitches unless the other team can run out a stud pitcher of their own.
PhatMack19
AG
Needville wins again to move to 3-0. They play Washington in the king seat game on Wednesday
El Chupacabra
So the West and SE teams that lost yesterday have to play M (lost), T, W, Th for a shot at the US title on Sat. The other 2 teams in the Losers bracket at least had Monday off, but still have a tough road...

I know the bracket 'is what it is' and winning helps, but the Mountain team is playing their 4th game today, whereas the NW team plays their 3rd game tomorrow.
Hi, Im Brett
AG

4 teams on each side of bracket had an extra round (including TX). Determined by a random draw. Apparently they expanded a couple years ago to 10/10 from 8/8
PhatMack19
AG
Needville Washington still 0-0 bot 5

Needville hosed the go ahead run at the plate from center field for the 2nd out

One of our local umps is behind the plate today.
PhatMack19
AG
Free baseball. Needville headed to extras still 0-0

Needville had chances Top 6. Washington made some nice plays
PhatMack19
AG
Bases juiced, no out for Needville
PhatMack19
AG
KKK. Needville leaves them loaded. Ouch
gambochaman
AG
Terrible strike zone from the ump
AggieDub25
Tough called strike on the first K. Ump hasn't been calling that low of a pitch, but at the same time, I don't mind it. As good of a game this has been, it would be a crime to walk in the winning first run of the game in the 7th.
PhatMack19
AG
Headed to the 8th still 0-0

Runner starts at 2nd base to start the inning
AggieDub25
If they get through the bottom of the 8th, they win
PhatMack19
AG
Needville gets a run

1-0 Needville headed to bottom of 9
AggieDub25
What a play. What a game.
gambochaman
AG
What a freaking game
Phrasing
AG
That batted ball was going to end the game one way or the other - what a game and what a play!
MAROON
AG
what a great play by the SS.
Scotty Appleton
Will be interesting to see if Taiwan pitches Nolan Ryan Lee Saturday or saves him for the US team.
aggiebrother33
That SS is just a highlight machine!!! Great pitching and D
chico
AG
high-level kid baseball there. TX kid made a terrific throw from centerfield to catcher (who made a textbook tag) to save a run. WA kid in center made a fantastic running catch with the bases loaded and 2 outs to save multiple runs. Then the kid from TX with the 360 spin throw to end the game. Plus earlier in that last inning, WA hit a come-backer to the pitcher who properly looked the runner back to 3rd before getting the out at 1st. Well-coached by both sides.
aggiebrother33
I am still amazed every year how good these kids can be at 12 years old.
Aggies2009
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Will be interesting to see if Taiwan pitches Nolan Ryan Lee Saturday or saves him for the US team.
He COULD do both, right? If he only threw 20 pitches or something?
TarponChaser
aggiebrother33 said:

I am still amazed every year how good these kids can be at 12 years old.

They would destroy LLWS teams from 20 years ago. I wonder why though? #sarcasm
MAROON
AG
chico said:

high-level kid baseball there. TX kid made a terrific throw from centerfield to catcher (who made a textbook tag) to save a run. WA kid in center made a fantastic running catch with the bases loaded and 2 outs to save multiple runs. Then the kid from TX with the 360 spin throw to end the game. Plus earlier in that last inning, WA hit a come-backer to the pitcher who properly looked the runner back to 3rd before getting the out at 1st. Well-coached by both sides.
And I hate to mention this because I damn sure don't want to kick a hornet's nest. But he made that play with a kid running down a short 60 ft base path. There are a lot of bang bang plays needed because a 12-year-old kid can get down that base path pretty darn quickly.

I had the pleasure of coaching little league all stars with my son, coaching some and then watching him play travel ball, then high school ball, and small D3 college ball. At every level baseball is just a freaking great game!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.