Little League World Series

11,528 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Carlo4
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Needville wins their 1st game 2-1

They play North Dakota Friday at 6pm
evestor1
Go Needville!

When are they going to show speed on pitches?
TAM85
OutdoorAg
AG
While I do watch the LLWS, I also find it funny how everyone talks about hard the pitchers are throwing. They are 12 year olds pitching from 46'. That's what 9u pitches from! It makes no sense to me why they have such a short distance.
Bassmaster
AG
Hate to break it to you, but that doesn't change the speed.
Bassmaster
AG
As a select guy, I know you'll want to see their page.

https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/Team/default.aspx?orgid=29335&orgteamid=147877&team=582932&Year=2023
TarponChaser
Bassmaster said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/Team/default.aspx?orgid=29335&orgteamid=147877&team=582932&Year=2023

Was talking about that with some folks yesterday. Evidently other nearby LL folks were in a twist because like 11 of the 12 kids on the all star team played on that one Hooks team.
PhatMack19
AG
evestor1 said:

Go Needville!

They are showing it now. Chinese Tapei kid is throwing 80. Needville kid is 64
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

evestor1 said:

Go Needville!

80 at 46' is absurd. My son saw 82 at 50' last summer and that was basically unhittable. I think the conversion I saw was that 82 at 50' was equivalent to 105 from 60'6" when it comes to relative reaction time.
MAROON
AG
The only LL all star teams that are not populated by select players are the crappy ones that go 0-2 BBQ.
Bassmaster
AG
I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. All of these leagues do this and it has been going on for a while. Pearland does it too. We are zoned to ORWALL and a couple of years ago they were trying to get their program going, but it never happened to my knowledge. They invite select teams to play in a Sunday league against each other at their parks for the sole reason of getting a team to Williamsport when they are 12. My son's team played the Needville team at 11u. We beat them. They are a solid upper level AAA team, but there are far better teams out there. It would be comical for some of the Houston area major teams to play in Williamsport. I don't know how it works in other states, but it is definitely like this in Texas and specifically, the Houston area.
TarponChaser
MAROON said:

The only LL all star teams that are not populated by select players are the crappy ones that go 0-2 BBQ.

Yeah, I don't know why anybody is surprised by it. It's been going on a long time. First time I heard of it was when the Post Oak LL team made Williamsport maybe 10 years ago.

The thing is that most select teams draw kids from distances that would be outside a LL boundaries. But what if a team like this from a couple years ago did it- where like 9 of the 13 kids are all from Kingwood and if there were a LL here would have been in the same league boundaries.

This was Dynasty Black 11U from 2021. Things got wonky a bit when Dynasty was bought by Wildcatters but a number of these kids are still with the same coach that's now Wildcatters - Farr in 14U.

https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/Team/default.aspx?orgid=5747&orgteamid=77117&Year=2021
The Anchor
AG
Bassmaster said:

Their roster shows one kid is 7'2" and 900 lbs.
PhatMack19
AG
TarponChaser said:

PhatMack19 said:

evestor1 said:

Go Needville!

80 at 46' is absurd. My son saw 82 at 50' last summer and that was basically unhittable. I think the conversion I saw was that 82 at 50' was equivalent to 105 from 60'6" when it comes to relative reaction time.

The kid looks to be 19. They threw a combined Perfect Game today.

Hi, Im Brett
AG
Bassmaster said:

I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. All of these leagues do this and it has been going on for a while. Pearland does it too. We are zoned to ORWALL and a couple of years ago they were trying to get their program going, but it never happened to my knowledge. They invite select teams to play in a Sunday league against each other at their parks for the sole reason of getting a team to Williamsport when they are 12. My son's team played the Needville team at 11u. We beat them. They are a solid upper level AAA team, but there are far better teams out there. It would be comical for some of the Houston area major teams to play in Williamsport. I don't know how it works in other states, but it is definitely like this in Texas and specifically, the Houston area.

I would hope so. There's a difference between stacking a team with talent from the greater Houston area, etc vs a group of boys from one small town / LL that happen to also play on a select team together.
Bassmaster
AG
Do we really consider Needville some small town? Richmond/Rosenberg are growing pretty rapidly. That aside, there are plenty of select teams in Houston that have kids all zoned to the same little league. Its not like Needville is some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Bassmaster said:

Do we really consider Needville some small town? Richmond/Rosenberg are growing pretty rapidly. That aside, there are plenty of select teams in Houston that have kids all zoned to the same little league. It's not like Needville is some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.

Rose/Rich is Lamar LL (Randal Grichuk). I would consider 10k population or whatever Needville's surrounding area is a small pool compared to what most of the better Houston area select teams are pulling from.

I can't speak to some of those teams being from the same LL other than it sounds like they missed out on a chance to go Williamsport, all the free gear, and living on ESPN for a few weeks.
AgBanker
I don't know anything about the Needville team. However from their PG team site, it appears about half their team is from Richmond and Rosenberg.
Anyone know if that is true?
Fat Black Swan
AG
Nm
Hi, Im Brett
AG
AgBanker said:

I don't know anything about the Needville team. However from their PG team site, it appears about half their team is from Richmond and Rosenberg.
Anyone know if that is true?

Most of the rural areas heading out to Needville from Rosenberg have Richmond/Rosenberg addresses but some are part of Needville's district and considered Needville. I'm guessing they live in that area.
AggieJ2002
AG
Bassmaster
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

Bassmaster said:

Do we really consider Needville some small town? Richmond/Rosenberg are growing pretty rapidly. That aside, there are plenty of select teams in Houston that have kids all zoned to the same little league. It's not like Needville is some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.

Rose/Rich is Lamar LL (Randal Grichuk). I would consider 10k population or whatever Needville's surrounding area is a small pool compared to what most of the better Houston area select teams are pulling from.

I can't speak to some of those teams being from the same LL other than it sounds like they missed out on a chance to go Williamsport, all the free gear, and living on ESPN for a few weeks.
I wouldn't say "missed out on a chance to go to Williamsport" as much as I'd say "didn't care enough to take a chance." I enjoy watching it and no doubt it would be a cool experience, but these kids have all been playing open bases since 9u, 50/70 fields since 11u, using USSSA bats, etc., so to subject the kids to the ridiculous little league rules for a chance to make a run just doesn't do it for most of the teams who have been playing high level select for years. My son's team is all zoned to ORWALL in The Woodlands and when the league tried to put together a double header league for select teams so that one of their teams could make a run, there was zero interest from the parents.
El Chupacabra
Bassmaster said:

Hi, Im Brett said:

Bassmaster said:

I wouldn't say "missed out on a chance to go to Williamsport" as much as I'd say "didn't care enough to take a chance." I enjoy watching it and no doubt it would be a cool experience, but these kids have all been playing open bases since 9u, 50/70 fields since 11u, using USSSA bats, etc., so to subject the kids to the ridiculous little league rules for a chance to make a run just doesn't do it for most of the teams who have been playing high level select for years. My son's team is all zoned to ORWALL in The Woodlands and when the league tried to put together a double header league for select teams so that one of their teams could make a run, there was zero interest from the parents.
Major disservice for the kids. I bet you every kid that ever went to Williamsport remembers their time there fondly. It's not an experience that they'll ever get at yet another high level select tournament that they'll forget about by Monday morning.
Four Seasons Landscaping
LLWS MVP should always be the dad that was able to convince the parents of the talented select ball kids to play LL
TAM85
Agreed, it is a great experience. They get to play on a national/world stage infront of thousands of fans vs. select where they play infront of their family.

Plus they get to live in dorms for a week or so with kids from all over the country and many parts of the world. A fantastic experience!
Bassmaster
AG
If the only two options were going to Williamsport or not trying, then yeah, I agree. But obviously it isn't a foregone conclusion that any specific team makes it. A 12 year old who has been playing select since 9u isn't getting much of anything (from a baseball standpoint) out of a failed run to Williamsport.
MooreTrucker
AG
Watching Venezuela v Panama right now, and you can hear the Vandy Whistler guy.
_lefraud_
AG
Playing select gets you no closer to MLB than playing LL or whatever local league available, especially at age 12.
El Chupacabra
Bassmaster said:

If the only two options were going to Williamsport or not trying, then yeah, I agree. But obviously it isn't a foregone conclusion that any specific team makes it. A 12 year old who has been playing select since 9u isn't getting much of anything (from a baseball standpoint) out of a failed run to Williamsport.
This is a bit of a snarky comment, but if they're such high level select studs that have been balling together since 9 then they should have a very good shot at making it...a shot worth taking.

My son made it to a regional tournament this year, and even that experience was worth the effort and was a once in a lifetime event that he'll remember forever.
Hi, Im Brett
AG

Tennessee coach just huddled his team up after their 1st pitch to spread some his dad's ashes on the mound so that "he'll be part of this field forever now"
PhatMack19
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

Tennessee coach just huddled his team up after their 1st pitch to spread some his dad's ashes on the mound so that "he'll be part of this field forever now"

It wouldn't the same ring to it, if I spread my Dad's ashes on a random turf mound at Baseball USA.
Bassmaster
AG
I'm not suggesting it does, but you already know that. What I'm saying is that playing open bases, and then moving on to 50/70 fields after 10u, and then reverting back to 46/60 at 12u is pretty ridiculous and doesn't meaningfully contribute to a kid's development on the field. It has nothing to do with the MLB or select baseball, but it has everything to do with ridiculous LL rules and field dimensions.
PhatMack19
AG
Needville wins 6-2
TarponChaser
_lefraud_ said:

Playing select gets you no closer to MLB than playing LL or whatever local league available, especially at age 12.

Perhaps I missed it but I don't see where anybody claimed that either one did.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

My son made it to a regional tournament this year, and even that experience was worth the effort and was a once in a lifetime event that he'll remember forever.
This is what the "won't help make MLB" and "not worth it" types are missing. It's more than just the on-the-field stuff. It's an experience that most never get to have and I guarantee the kids don't think it's not worth it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.