*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,385,984 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Mr Gigem said:

Alright I'm headed downtown! See y'all at the ballpark!

Surely you can't be serious.
Double Talkin' Jive...
MrCoachEricTaylor
One more time fellas, jam that Creed and we don't have to listen to it again until next postseason!!
beagle2009
AG
Roger Kint said:

Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Mr Gigem said:

For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.

Yep. 2011 broke me. I followed the Rangers religiously through some bad years for a long time before that. In 2012, we had our first kid and then Johnny happened. I just couldn't get back into the grind of baseball after that monumental letdown and my attention being pulled to something that didn't sting so bad. Over the last decade or so, I've kept up with standings here and there and watched the playoffs and such, but I didn't start following again in earnest until I made a point to do so last fall after stumbling onto the offseason thread. You guys helped bring the joy of baseball back for me. Thank you for that. I've missed it so much.

Oh, and like so many others, I'm not getting my hopes up until that last out is in the glove. This team needs to exercise that 2011 demon.

Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. And would really emphasize the impact this thread has had on my overall enjoyment and knowledge of our little Rangers. Now I can't imagine consuming Ranger baseball without this group.
caleblyn
My history of, "My Team," winning is not good! I am still cautiously optimistic for this year.

I did enjoy the Cowboys and Bulls in the 90's, but would not have kept me up at night if they lost.

Dallas Mavs losing to the Heat was a punch!

Dallas Mavs beating the Heat was amazing

Since living in BR for 20+ years, I became a Saints fan. The Saints winning in 2010 was special.

The Mavs winning and Saints winning, again, wold not have effected me much if they had lost.

There are several sports teams that mess with my sleep when they stink it up in big games...

A&M Football
A&M Basketball
A&M Baseball
Rangers

My son and I have a comment for A&M sports. Even when things are going well, "Don't get too excited, we are about to sprinkle a little Aggie on this!"

Please Rangers...make me lose sleep for a good reason!!!
KT 90
AG
shack009 said:

Would love to have him back next year also at the right price. He would be the 5th outfielder behind Carter, Leody, El Bombi, and Langford.

Right, that's what I meant by "if it works out". Wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere if someone offered him a multiyear deal for more than we are willing to go. I can see the Rangers offering him a one year deal for decent money for a journeyman type outfielder. Unless we need the cap room and give the 5th outfielder job to someone like JP Martinez and then it would only be a low-budget deal ("serf" as DallasAg likes to say).

I would assume Lankford starts the season in the minors, then hopefully gets called up a few months into the season. In that scenario, we could keep both Jankowski and Martinez on the opening roster.
Scotty Flamingo
Just unable to get any work done today!!
TexasAggiesWin
S
shack009
AG
KT 90 said:

shack009 said:

Would love to have him back next year also at the right price. He would be the 5th outfielder behind Carter, Leody, El Bombi, and Langford.

Right, that's what I meant by "if it works out". Wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere if someone offered him a multiyear deal for more than we are willing to go. I can see the Rangers offering him a one year deal for decent money for a journeyman type outfielder. Unless we need the cap room and give the 5th outfielder job to someone like JP Martinez and then it would only be a low-budget deal ("serf" as DallasAg likes to say).

I would assume Lankford starts the season in the minors, then hopefully gets called up a few months into the season. In that scenario, we could keep both Jankowski and Martinez on the opening roster.

You know what they say about assuming. Guy mashed his way through the minors in 2 months and he will mash in spring training and it will be impossible to keep him off the opening day roster. He's about to turn 22, so he's older than Carter.

At that point it would be good to have Jankowski, because you wouldn't want 3 rookie outfielders in the OF in Carter, Langford, and Martinez.
GrapevineAg
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Mr Gigem said:

For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.

Seems similar to some points in my sports existence.

All my life I've been a rabid rabid Cowboys and Aggies fan. Emotionally invested, completely devoted. The Rangers were always my favorite team in mlb and I'd go to 3-4 games a year from College Station and I was dedicated but they took a backseat to the Cowboys and Aggies.

My worst Cowboys moment was the 94 NFC championship loss at SF. I was beyond devastated by that loss but was back full force by the next season. However the 2016 Cowboys season did something to me. I was so so hopeful and that loss to GB which I attended was so painful, a part of my emotional investment in the Cowboys died that day forever. Still love em, just not like I was before (some here might remember how active I was on Cowboys threads in football other ). Now I watch em but don't get too attached at all.

The 2011 Rangers disappointment drove me from being a pretty dedicated Rangers fan to more of a casual one. Still love em, but not like it used to be.

The Aggies these days have my heart and soul. I so badly wanna see a championship here . I'd trade 10 Super Bowls and 10 World Series for one Aggie national championship.
AgEng06
AG
GrapevineAg said:

perfect
PatriotAg02
AG
GrapevineAg said:

.....on this mother****ing field!
Ervin Burrell
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

As a team the Rangers hit for the cycle within the same inning. Last time that was done in the World Series was the 1991 Braves
It was a natural cycle too, if memory serves.
Daveintx
Lowe should have the series winner.... With everything he's gone through with his mom, what an ending that'd make
Daveintx
Early to mid 90's Rangers, loved Johnny Oate's and the teams he fielded.... just to watch the bats always go dormant against the Yankees (thank you John Charcoal Burkett for the one win)

Then, we had Wash and a team that felt like it'd run through a wall for him, just to come up short....

It's time....
GigEmRangers75455
Roll the Bones
AG
Really cool article about a senior sports management major who has been working with the Rangers this year. What a great opportunity for her!

Link

Quote:

Among her coworkers in the Texas Rangers front office, there are two things that make Paige Zizka stand out: the bright pink blazer she wears on the field, and her copious use of the word "howdy."

An intern in the promotions department at Arlington's Globe Life Field, Zizka is one of a handful of Aggies helping manage the World Series-bound team and she wants everyone to know it.

After a chance interaction on social media with a senior member of the Rangers' management, Zizka ended up sending over her resume, landing a gig with the team soon after. Since then, she's been traveling back and forth from College Station to Arlington, making the most of the unexpected opportunity.

Gig'Em Paige!!

PatAg
AG
Whether it leads to a win or loss I dont know, but Im expecting Eovaldi to have a great start today.
topoftexasag
AG
I am not saying we have to end it tonight, but I do NOT want to face Kelly again. Let's get it done boys!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
If we can jump on Gallen early we'll see a pen that is depleted past Ginkel, Thompson, and Sewald. So, we have to get to Gallen early. The game is ours if we do that. Otherwise, it will be a low scoring affair and we'll have to grind out a win. Not our best strategy but it can be done.

#Go and Take it!!
Double Talkin' Jive...
Daveintx
By 9:45 tonight let's have Smoltz talking about Arizona's spring training schedule
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm at some rooftop bar
91AggieLawyer
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

fc2112 said:

double aught said:

Teslag said:

If the Rangers win one of the next three Dallas will become only the 8th city to win a Super Bowl, NBA Finals, World Series, and Stanley Cup.
How many cities have teams in all four sports? Nine?

Sixteen

Phoenix
Atlanta
Chicago
DFW
Detroit
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
New York
Philly
Washington
Cleveland
Denver
Las vegas (soon)
Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh
Atlanta's NHL team is gone, yes?
Phoenix hasn't won an NBA
Rangers miss the WS
Detroit missed a SB
LA who? franchises have come and gone but the Kings have won one.
Have the Flyers won a cup?
Washington Bullets ever won a title?
Miami lacks a SB and Stanley cup (I think)
Have the Pirates ever won a WS? maybe way back when there were like 6 teams?

Have the Flyers won a cup? Yes, 2.

Washington Bullets ever won a title? Yep. 1978.

Have the Pirates ever won a WS? 5. Most recent in 1979.
GrapevineAg
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Have the Pirates ever won a WS? 5. Most recent in 1979.
That was the "We Are Family" team, right? Willie Stargell, Kent Tekulve. IIRC, they beat the Os.
The Brazos Kid
Danny Vermin said:

I've been in a daze all day. It's literally all I can think about. Growing up in south Arlington, and my dad selling Insurance to Billy Martin and Several players, I was born a Ranger fan.

Parallel lives: I grew up in North Arlington and my dad sold insurance during that time as well. I believe a couple of the late 70's thru mid-80's players were policyholders.

That's wild.
birdman
Chicago
Los Angeles
New York
Philly
Washington
Boston

Six cities have won a championship in all four leagues since 1967. That's when Super Bowl started, and all of the leagues expanded.

DFW can join them tonight.
EllisCoAg
AG
In my early days right out of college and running construction crews, my boss would say to always flap.

so, let's Finnish Like A Pro!!! and get to flapping boys.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Txhuntr
AG
birdman said:

Chicago
Los Angeles
New York
Philly
Washington
Boston

Six cities have won a championship in all four leagues since 1967. That's when Super Bowl started, and all of the leagues expanded.

DFW can join them tonight.

What is Miami missing? Was playing this game with a coworker earlier, and we came up with Miami in our list
birdman
Florida Panthers never won a title
NukeAg10
AG
I watched the game last night on mute, and followed the thread, but didn't post. The only game I've posted on is game 2, so I will continue with the winning formula, hopefully. Need to take care of this tonight, and finally bring a World Series title to Arlington.

If this goes back to Arlington, I just hope that ridiculous banana suits aren't back bc both game they were there the rangers got lit up.
NukeAg10
AG
birdman said:

Glad you posted this bc I almost said something real dumb. Tampa and Miami are not the same cities.
bmac_aggie18
AG
birdman said:

Arlington Peagles can
AgEng06
AG
NukeAg10 said:

I watched the game last night on mute, and followed the thread, but didn't post. The only game I've posted on is game 2, so I will continue with the winning formula, hopefully. Need to take care of this tonight, and finally bring a World Series title to Arlington.

If this goes back to Arlington, I just hope that ridiculous banana suits aren't back bc both game they were there the rangers got lit up.
I'm so torn tonight. Due to trick-or-treating last night, I saw the Rangers score 0 runs. But I saw all 7 of the DBacks runs scored...

I'm tempted to watch regardless. As my buddy says about the Aggies, "If I can't watch them win, then nobody can".
jkag89
Quote:

Have the Pirates ever won a WS? maybe way back when there were like 6 teams?
MLB isn't the NHL.

The last time the National League had as few as six teams was 1878.

When the World Series was first played (1903) both the National League and the American League had eight teams each.

The Pirates World Series Championships are rather scarce and scattered but they have won five tittles; 1909, 1925, 1960, 1971 & 1979.
Mr Gigem
AG
Huge group of rangers at this rooftop bar!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1095 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.