*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,386,253 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Radio was talking about Smoltz despair with the Rangers and they even played his "sigh" after we won.

I think it was Bacsik who speculated the only thing he could figure out is Smoltz is bitter about teams "buying" a Championship, instead of building it. After winning the WS in '95, they lost to the NYY in'96. That was the year the NYY really started signing FAs.

Here was some of the supporting info I put together for the tl dr crowd:
1995 Payroll Braves: $45.2M went to $47.4M in 1996
1995 Payroll NYY: $46.6M went to $52.2M in 1996.

In 1997, the Braves lost to a payroll inflated Marlins in the NLCS (WS Champs):
1996 Marlins: $30.0M to $47.7M in 1997
1996 Braves: $47.4M to $50.4M in 1997
Marlins would sell everything in what many called a "rent-a-team."

In 1998, the Braves lost to a Bochy led SDP team that went from $34.7M to $45M... who ultimately lost in the WS to the NYY.

In 1999, it was back to the NYY
Yanks in 1998: $63M to $88M in 1999
Braves in 1998: $59.5M to $75M in 1999

Smoltz pitched for Atlanta for 20 years (1988 to 2008)
Glavine pitched for Altanta for 17 years (1987 to 2002, 2008)
Maddux pitched for Atlanta for 11 years (1993-2003)

Additional Smoltz Post-Season info:

1991: Lost WS to Minn
1992: Lost WS to Toronto
1993: Lost NLCS to Philly
1994: -
1995: Won WS against Cle
1996: Lost WS to NYY
1997: Lost NLCS to Florida
1998: Lost NLCS to SDP - Bochy
1999: Lost WS to NYY
2000: -
2001: Lost NLCS to Ari
2002-2005: Lost NLDS to SFG, ChC, Hou, Hou

Smoltz teams went 1-5 in the WS and would play against a variety of payroll inflated "bought" teams built solely to win a Championship. He probably doesn't like the idea that we brought in a ton of high-prized FAs.

To which I say, "Tough *****"

He is probably upset his Braves bounced early, as well.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Timmy was one of those guys from another team that I liked. But yea it sucked to have to face him. Got to see him throw a game against Arizona of all teams back in the day at the AZ stadium.
ElephantRider
AG
Big Time Timmy Jim
South Platte
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.
I hope I find out soon. I've been really fortunate that my teams, college and pro, have been really good over the last 15 years. This is the final piece of the puzzle. In some ways the underdog role the Rangers have assumed is pretty similar to the 2011 Mavericks that refused to bow down to Kobe, Westbrook/Harden/Durant, and the Heat.
shack009
AG
Has to be GrapeSoda's favorite player right?
ElephantRider
AG
2011 was devastating for me. Definitely the worst sports moment of my life.
AgEng06
AG
Tksymm7
AG
It's an all-timer sports moment unfortunately. We're going to get it though. I believe.
Infection_Ag11
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

I forgot how much I hated Lincecum

For a brief period of time though he was as good as any pitcher in the history of the game. There was a period of about 25 or so starts from 2008 into 2009 where he had a sub-2.0 ERA and a WHIP around 0.8. Basically his best career stretch was surpassed the modern era only by prime Pedro Martinez.

And then less than 3 years later he wasn't even a serviceable starter anymore with an ERA above 5. Odd career.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ElephantRider
AG
His delivery caught up to him
Infection_Ag11
AG
ElephantRider said:

I think for me it's still the 2006 NBA Finals, only because nobody will ever convince me that series wasn't crooked. You can literally pinpoint the exact moment in time when the entire officiating in that series changed.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

ElephantRider said:

I think for me it's still the 2006 NBA Finals, only because nobody will ever convince me that series was crooked. You can literally pinpoint the exact moment in time when the entire officiating in that series changed.
Yeah they were painful in different ways. In 2011, we were 1 strike away and had thought we won Game 6 off Freese's bat. Instantly soul crushing. Mavs-Heat was just more a demoralizing 2 week slog and slow-cooker beatdown as D-Wade got every call and shot 18 FTs per game.
Infection_Ag11
AG
shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

ElephantRider said:

I think for me it's still the 2006 NBA Finals, only because nobody will ever convince me that series was crooked. You can literally pinpoint the exact moment in time when the entire officiating in that series changed.
Yeah they were painful in different ways. In 2011, we were 1 strike away and had thought we won Game 6 off Freese's bat. Instantly soul crushing. Mavs-Heat was just more a demoralizing 2 week slog and slow-cooker beatdown as D-Wade got every call and shot 18 FTs per game.

It was the foul call on Wade at around the six minute mark with Dallas up I think 12. Six minutes away from being up 3-0 and the series being over, to losing 4 straight.
DeangeloVickers
AG
KT 90
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

For a brief period of time though he was as good as any pitcher in the history of the game. There was a period of about 25 or so starts from 2008 into 2009 where he had a sub-2.0 ERA and a WHIP around 0.8. Basically his best career stretch was surpassed the modern era only by prime Pedro Martinez.

And then less than 3 years later he wasn't even a serviceable starter anymore with an ERA above 5. Odd career.

If I am remembering correctly, he signed with the Rangers late in his career when he was attempting a comeback. Not sure if he ever played in a game with the Rangers though, I think he was pretty much done at that point but still trying to catch on with somebody.

Roger Kint
AG
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Mr Gigem said:

For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.

Yep. 2011 broke me. I followed the Rangers religiously through some bad years for a long time before that. In 2012, we had our first kid and then Johnny happened. I just couldn't get back into the grind of baseball after that monumental letdown and my attention being pulled to something that didn't sting so bad. Over the last decade or so, I've kept up with standings here and there and watched the playoffs and such, but I didn't start following again in earnest until I made a point to do so last fall after stumbling onto the offseason thread. You guys helped bring the joy of baseball back for me. Thank you for that. I've missed it so much.

Oh, and like so many others, I'm not getting my hopes up until that last out is in the glove. This team needs to exercise that 2011 demon.
ElephantRider
AG
KT 90 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

If I am remembering correctly, he signed with the Rangers late in his career when he was attempting a comeback. Not sure if he ever played in a game with the Rangers though, I think he was pretty much done at that point but still trying to catch on with somebody.

If I'm remembering correctly, he got hurt before he every played for the Rangers. Pitched some for Round Rock once he came back but never for the Rangers.
Old School Brother
AG
What's going on in here, you boys ready to see how baseball go tonight?

shack009
AG
Another Dallas sports-palooza tonight. Last time that happened was... Monday.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
ElephantRider said:

All the demons are vanquished tonight
Daveintx
Don't f'in care if the nation is watching, tonight, Rangers fans get a chance to do something we've never done....

Also, Astro fans should love this... If the Rangers pull this off, it will have taken them LESS years than it took Houston in the history of their franchise to win their first (thanks Sandler for that little tidbit).
AgsWin2011
AG
Roger Kint said:

Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Mr Gigem said:

For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.

Yep. 2011 broke me. I followed the Rangers religiously through some bad years for a long time before that. In 2012, we had our first kid and then Johnny happened. I just couldn't get back into the grind of baseball after that monumental letdown and my attention being pulled to something that didn't sting so bad. Over the last decade or so, I've kept up with standings here and there and watched the playoffs and such, but I didn't start following again in earnest until I made a point to do so last fall after stumbling onto the offseason thread. You guys helped bring the joy of baseball back for me. Thank you for that. I've missed it so much.

Oh, and like so many others, I'm not getting my hopes up until that last out is in the glove. This team needs to exercise that 2011 demon.

I feel like I wrote this myself. Same thing here, even having my first kid in 2012. Now I get to experience this with my two boys who are now 8 and 11. In the past 5-6 years I've just hoped the Rangers would give me the sports fix I needed until college football. I've hardly thought about football this month thanks to the Rangers and Jimbo.
Nagler
AG
2011 was so hard because it happened twice.

One strike away from a world series TWICE.

First time, Nellie forgets to how to play outfield. Hamilton saves the day. Boom again.

Gut wrenching.

To this day my heart still hurts when I think about it.

If they can close this one out, I might just have me a sports cry.
Carlo4
AG
No one from 2011 is on this team. Why I'm not concerned
KT 90
AG
Jankowski will be a free agent. Wouldn't mind him coming back next year if it works out:

Danny Vermin
I've been in a daze all day. It's literally all I can think about. Growing up in south Arlington, and my dad selling Insurance to Billy Martin and Several players, I was born a Ranger fan.
Mr Gigem
AG
Love this team

Aggies2009
AG
Weird. I have it on good authority that Garcia cares nothing about the team and only about himself.
Mr Gigem
AG
Especially with his blatant steroid use
DeangeloVickers
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
Alright I'm headed downtown! See y'all at the ballpark!
justnobody79
I am still hungover from last night, I need a nap bad, but at the same time I'm so wound up I can't sleep
DeangeloVickers
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Alright I'm headed downtown! See y'all at the ballpark!

shack009
AG
Would love to have him back next year also at the right price. He would be the 5th outfielder behind Carter, Leody, El Bombi, and Langford.
GrapevineAg
AG
Wife and I are going to GLF for the watch party. Can't make it to PHX, so this'll have to do. BTHO D-Backs!
First Page Last Page
Page 1094 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.