*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,360,116 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
fatherof4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
100 million? So something like 20-25 million a year? Thank you.
shack009
AG
twilly said:

Bet money that Mondays game is early afternoon as not to compete with Cowboys game that night.
On the flip side, the other series will either be in Atlanta or Philly on the east coast. They have consistently started east coast games earlier. Then that series will go back to Phoenix for at least two games, and those games will probably be the late games and our games on those days will be the early games.
FTAco07
AG
shack009 said:

twilly said:

Bet money that Mondays game is early afternoon as not to compete with Cowboys game that night.
On the flip side, the other series will either be in Atlanta or Philly on the east coast. They have consistently started east coast games earlier. Then that series will go back to Phoenix for at least two games, and those games will probably be the late games and our games on those days will be the early games.
This is what i expect. Games in eastern time zone will be early and Arizona will be late. We fall on the opposite side purely based on that.
bmac_aggie18
AG
AverageJones said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Any of y'all live around Houston and are interested in meeting up for one of the games this week? Know the times suck but worth a shot

I'm in League City but have appointments for my daughter tomorrow and Wednesday. I'd be down for something if we advance.

Quincey P,

You still up to meet for something? Surely there's a Ranger friendly bar or something around.

Anyone else around Houston feel free to chime in, be cool to get something put together.

I'm in, live out by city center

PM sent
Daveintx
Just get one of these first 2 and get home.....
BassCowboy33
Gonna be a super-tough series for Texas to pull off. Honestly, I thought they'd get wiped in the previous two series, so no clue what to expect anymore.
BassCowboy33
shack009 said:

twilly said:

I get the not wanting compete for American eyeballs with the Cowboys, but can someone honestly say that putting it in the middle of the workday would get better ratings?

My guess is they plant it at 5-6 pm CST to try to get a jump on it. The Cowboys are going to crush the ratings either way.
Water Boy
AG
I'm a big cowboy fan but rather watch Ranger playoff baseball than cowboys vs chargers in a regular season matchup early in the season.
fc2112
I don't think of a Cowboys midseason game as "big". In fact, I didn't watch a minute of the 49ers game and apparently missed nothing of value.
Grapesoda2525
First concern is to avoid getting embarrassed. We can't let what happened in Arlington the last 3 games happen again.

I think this series will be a struggle. The Astros will be focused on getting to our bullpen then punishing it. They could try to play the Oakland A / Minnesota Twinkie style game where they try to draw walks, fill up the bases, drive up the pitch counts, and hit the long ball for 3-4 runs after guys got on base mainly by walking.

I hate losing like that. It's exactly what the Twinkies did when they averaged nearly 10 runs a game against us.

We need to be ready and be better.

Hopefully the offense stays hot or at the very least doesn't go ice cold.
GigEmRangers75455
I went to game 3 Tuesday. What a freaking environment. Nate threw the most percentage strikes for a starter in a playoff game since 2001. Starters stay in the zone and limit free passes it helps avoid more innings for the bullpen. Sherzer and Gray being back is huge if it's the case. Either they're in the pen and can help or they're in the rotation and Heaney and Dunning are in the pen. Helps stay away from certain relievers.
shack009
AG
Trying to read some tea leaves it seems like odds would favor Scherzer pitching in this series while Gray is much more up in the air. If they want Scherzer to start, they could hold him until Wednesday or Thursday. so still a good amount of time for him to heal.
Disco Stu
AG
ALCS schedule (Fox/FS1)
At Houston
Game 1 Sunday, 7:15 p.m.
Game 2 Monday, 3:37 p.m.
At Texas
Game 3 Wednesday, 7:03 p.m.
Game 4 Thursday, 7:03 p.m.
Game 5 Oct. 20, 4:07 p.m.
At Houston
Game 6 Oct. 22, 7:03 p.m.
Game 7 Oct. 23, 7:03 p.m.
Disco Stu
AG
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Need to find a way to get Scott Stapp in the house for game three.
BCSWguru
Do it. Make us proud, Rangers.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Pass out bibles and cocaine.
fc2112
fc2112 said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

"HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!"

Too Soon?

Hope to be saying that plenty, this season... maybe 105+ times?!
If they win 105+ I will give you a pair of my personal tickets for a game in the postseason
Quoted for posterity.

Bumped to remember Opening Day.
Proposition Joe
3:30 Monday Game 2 in Houston -- if I were a fan I wouldn't be thrilled about that.

If we can steal a win Sunday night, Minute Maid is going to be pretty quiet on a Monday afternoon.
zgolfz85
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

yep, need to make it even more dramatic than his cowboys debut too....go t swift status production
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

3:30 Monday Game 2 in Houston -- if I were a fan I wouldn't be thrilled about that.

If we can steal a win Sunday night, Minute Maid is going to be pretty quiet on a Monday afternoon.
Did they schedule it because of football?

I bet the Astro fans on the other thread are pissed.
AgEng06
AG
I'm sure it's because the NLCS doesn't start until Monday, so the night game is the primetime slot for Sunday since there is only 1 game.
jkag89
AgEng06 said:

I'm sure it's because the NLCS doesn't start until Monday, so the night game is the primetime slot for Sunday since there is only 1 game.
MNF might have been a slight consideration. FOX may have requested the afternoon time slot since baseball ratings tend to be local. If you can avoid splitting one of the markets TV ratings, it is not a bad idea.

As for Astros fans being pissed about an afternoon game time, they are pretty much used to it.
CoppellAg93
AG
So TWICE in the ALCS, they will be playing 2 games in less than 24 hours.

In both NLDS series, they had a day off between Games 1 and 2.

All because of what - Week 4 and 5 football? I'd tell the NFL to suck it - October is a baseball playoff month.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

fatherof4 said:

What is Montgomery salary range going to be and what are the chances he stays with the Rangers after the season?

DallasAg is pretty good at finding comparable pitchers and getting a general range. Montgomery has been solid since the trade, so his price is likely increasing. His last start wasn't as good, but still not terrible.

I appreciate the confidence. Montgomery will be interesting.

He shows to be on a 1yr/$10M deal with StLouis, which appears to be an Arb4. I think that generally relates to service time and team control. Regardless, he'll be a UFA after this season.

I think I had suggesting weeks ago that he could be in the 3-4yr, $15-20M range. I think those may be pretty low. The $100M referenced might be a better guess.

Here is what he has done:
'17 (24): 29GS, 3.88, 155.1 IP
'18-19 throw-away years (TJ in June 2018)
'20 (27): 10GS, 5.11, 44.0 IP - Covid
'21 (28): 30GS, 3.83, 157.1 IP
'22 (29): 32GS, 3.48, 178.1 IP
'23 (30): 32GS, 3.20, 188.2 IP
Career: 1.209 WHIP, 8.4 SO9, 2.5 BB9

Looking at those IP and the dude is a horse. Increasing his IP and dropping his ERA each year. More impressive is the fact in 2022 he was traded at the deadline and his ERA after the trade was lower than before the trade. More impressive is the fact in 2023 he was traded at the deadline and his ERA after the trade was lower than before the trade.

Postseason: 3GS, 4G, 2.55 ERA, 17.2 IP, 1.528 ERA
He's pitched in the post-season for NYY, St.L, and Texas.

Some notes on that... The only stinker of a Post-Season game was G2 in Baltimore 4.0 IP, 4ER. Rangers were up 9-2. He left with 88PC in the 5th giving up a HR, single and getting pulled at 9-5. Bradford was the real story in this game.

2023 Base Salary
$43.3M: Scherzer and Verlander are probably the highest paid

$36M: Gerrit Cole
$35M: Strasburg
$30M: deGrom
$27.5: Sale
$25.0: Stroman
$25-20M: There are 9 in this range (Wheeler (Phi), Darvish (SD), Corbin (WSH), Rodon, Gausman, Ray (Sea), Ryu (Tor)

Texas:
$19.65 Perez was on a 1yr
$19.60 Eovaldi

With what he has shown for the Rangers and in the post-season, he is probably sitting at between $25-30M for 4yrs+2vesting years. That could improve in the coming weeks.

At 30, as a Boras client, Boras is usually looking at a SP at 33 getting one last contract. So, I think a team will want to sign him for 4 ($25M would align with above comments) and Boras will drop it to 3 (raising the ACV to $30). They'll be looking at 4yr/$100M (Team) vs 3yr/$90M (Boras).

Boras will come back with a 6yr/$180M (4yrs @ $27.5M, plus 2 players options vesting @ $35M per)

Those are my thoughts.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

fc2112 said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

"HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!"

Too Soon?

If they win 105+ I will give you a pair of my personal tickets for a game in the postseason
Quoted for posterity.

Hmmm..

90+2+3 = 95
4 ALCS
4 WS

That'd put us at 103 Ws. There is nothing that says "regular season."

Thanks for the Bump.
DallasAg 94
zgolfz85 said:

Jimmy McNulty said:

yep, need to make it even more dramatic than his cowboys debut too....go t swift status production
Instead of "God Bless America?!"

Maybe he can sing before/after the National Anthem.
BassCowboy33
DallasAg 94 said:

fc2112 said:

fc2112 said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

"HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!"

Too Soon?

Quoted for posterity.

Hmmm..

90+2+3 = 95
4 ALCS
4 WS

That'd put us at 103 Ws. There is nothing that says "regular season."

Thanks for the Bump.
Oh, snap.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wait what's going on here? The deal was 105 wins and you get tickets for one of the postseason games. Seeing as how that number is no longer attainable, even including PS wins, the deal is null and void. Better luck next season!
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Makes sense for Fox to do the afternoon game there. They would do the same thing if the Giants were playing on the same day as the 49'ers.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Wait what's going on here? The deal was 105 wins and you get tickets for one of the postseason games. Seeing as how that number is no longer attainable, even including PS wins, the deal is null and void. Better luck next season!
I knew you'd say that.

My affirmation was more about how close I could actually get.

Mathematically, you are off the hook at our 90Ws. I don't think anybody would have included the Post-Season.

Having said that... we're a good solid Closer away from me going to the WS on your dime. 105Ws was far more achievable I think than many could have imagined, even with my WAG.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Here's what I think both teams will do on their sides of the plate this series…

Rangers: Be aggressive and jump on the starters early and as fast as possible. Last thing we want to do is get in a hole to where the starter hands the ball of to 7 (Neris) 8 (Abreu) and 9 (Presley) which is about as mean of a combo you can find. Would be hard to mount a comeback against those guys.

Astros: I bet they go up there with a lot guys taking first pitch with our starters to try and get their PC up. Starters luckily went far in Baltimore but they know as well as we do our pen is shaky and they want us to get there quick.
bdp514am
as it was I saw one analysis that said the Rangers, even with their shaky pen, underperformed their metrics by 8 games. So, I'd say you were very close.
CampingAg
AG
ChoppinDs40
AG
This is an advantage for us. Game 5 on Friday at 4pm will have no issue whatsoever being packed. Friday afternoon is a lot easier to dip out than Monday.
First Page Last Page
Page 740 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.