*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,386,818 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_lefraud_ said:

South Platte said:

What's the problem with the lineup? Am I on the Astros thread?
The problem is that if the rookies and/or guys hitting way above their career average come back to Earth, Robbie Grossman hitting 3rd is going to be a problem.

Evan Carter will be a leadoff man one day, but man I really like him at the bottom of this current lineup.

Cartier will get moved up in the lineup in 2024, but for 2023 I think he is staying where he is. Bochy is old school, not moving him now. And it may be best anyway, he's only been in the MLB for a month or so, just let him keep doing his thing in the nine hole and don't mess with what's working.

Hopefully Garver gets some ab's this series. Grossman isn't getting it done. Grossman was pretty hot for 2 to 3 weeks back in Aug/Sept, but he's cooled considerably since then.

But at the end of the day, I am good with whatever we roll out there. I already consider this season a success. My pre-season goal was 85 wins, and maybe make the playoffs. We did both, and won the first series to advance. Just going to enjoy it for what it is and see how far we can go.
KT 90
AG
South Platte said:

I wonder if Garver had a small nagging injury. He was 0-for in the Seattle series.

I love him though. This guy played 4 years of college baseball at UNM. Check out his bio - - really impressive.

https://golobos.com/roster/mitch-garver-3/

I forget which one, but one of the beat writer types on Twitter said that Garver was healthy. I was pretty surprised we didn't at least pinch hit him that last game in the 9th inning with the big lead. Pretty sure Grossman got an AB in the ninth and was thinking maybe Garver (or somebody) would at least get an AB there, just to get in the game.

_lefraud_
AG
South Platte said:

I wonder if Garver had a small nagging injury. He was 0-for in the Seattle series.

I love him though. This guy played 4 years of college baseball at UNM. Check out his bio - - really impressive.

https://golobos.com/roster/mitch-garver-3/
Wow, had no idea. I had a cousin play for the Lobos at the same time, definitely wasn't aware this was the same guy.
aggietony2010
AG
South Platte said:

Really the baffling part is Grossman over Garver against RHP. If Garver is fighting a minor injury, fine.
Mr Gigem
AG
Garver is healthy. Not sure why he hasn't been in the lineup
94chem
My goal is to win the WS. 3 hot SP, 2nd best offense in all of MLB, best defense in MLB, and 5 bullpen arms throwing pretty well. We've got 3 SP injured, and are still able to use Heaney and Perez in the pen. Every team has weaknesses.

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
aggietony2010 said:

South Platte said:

Really the baffling part is Grossman over Garver against RHP. If Garver is fighting a minor injury, fine.

Jankowski would even be a better choice than RG.

If you're not gonna DH Garver, you certainly don't need a 3rd catcher. And this lineup is set defensively. There's no option at this point to play Garver at 1st against a lefty, for example. These Rangers don't have a problem with having to hide Young/Guerrero/Mazara somewhere (Mazara was so frustrating - cannon arm but looked like C3P0 going after the ball).
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Proposition Joe
It's not really a big mystery. We won with Grossman in the lineup G1, so Bochy rolled the same lineup for G2 -- splits be damned.

If you follow his career that's simply the manager he is. He's not a big analytics guy. He's cut from the same cloth as say an Art Howe. It's the reason why you saw us continually pull starters after 6 innings to roll the dice on the bullpen even though it was clear the bullpen was not up to the task.

The best case you can make is that this approach keeps the clubhouse loose, everyone knows their roles, gives guys confidence, blah blah blah. And I'm not saying those things aren't important, but just pointing out looking for some brilliant strategic reason why Robbie Grossman batted in the 3 hold vs a righty is going to be fruitless endeavor.
AgBQ-00
AG
Can you imagine what this team can do if we get an actual productive bullpen?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Says a lot about Max that he doesn't want to miss this. You gotta love the competitive nature.
94chem
DeangeloVickers said:

Hard to imagine why you wouldn't replace Matt Bush, Grant Anderson, or Will Smith with a first ballot HoF who only might be ready. What's the downside here?
94chem,
KT 90
AG
Yep, it's a 5 game series with some off days built in if it goes to 5; i.e. plenty of rest time for the main pitchers. Unless today doesn't go well for Scherzer and he says he's not ready, I'd make a spot for him on the roster.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Also, let's say we put him on the roster for ALDS and he re-injures himself/tweaks something. You put him back on the IL and replace him with whomever he replaced.

Easy.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Carlo4
AG
94chem said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Hard to imagine why you wouldn't replace Matt Bush, Grant Anderson, or Will Smith with a first ballot HoF who only might be ready. What's the downside here?
Little Big League announcer:

Will Smith has a 0.75 ERA against RH hitters with long last names in away games in odd years when the weather is 70-75 degrees... so yeah we have to go with him over a HOF.

94chem
Ideal scenario would be a 2-1 series lead and send him out there for game 4. As long as we're submitting our wish lists...
94chem,
94chem
One curious thing about divisional series is that your game 1 and game 2 starters are interchangeable if the series goes 5.
94chem,
DallasAg 94
Growing up, I lived in SoCal and was a Dodgers fan during the '70s.

The lineup we're putting together very much reminds me of the Dodgers'.

1977 Dodgers (yrs with Dodgers): Draft info
2B: Davey Lopes ('72-81): LAD '68 2ndRd (2ndaryPhase)
SS: Bill Russell ('69-86): LAD '66 9thRd
RF: Reggie Smith ('76-81)
3B: Ron Cey ('71-82): LAD '68 3rdRd
1B: Steve Garvey ('69-82): LAD '68 1stRd
CF: Rick Monday ('77-84): KC, 1st overall '65
LF: Dusty Baker ('76-83): Braves
C: Steve Yeager ('72-85): LAD '67 4thRd

You knew for the better part of a decade the lineup and everyday team. By and large, the team was home grown talent who played a decade+ at the MLB for the Dodgers. '66-68 were fantastic drafts. They drafted and developed their entire INF. OF was plug-n-play. Different era, I know, but interesting, none-the-less.

2023-24 Rangers:
CF: Carter (Serf1) 6 more years: Tex '20 2ndRd
2B: Semien ('22-28)
SS: Seager ('22-31)
RF/DH: Adolis (Serf3) ('20-26, 3Arbs)
3B: Jung (Serf2) ('22-28, 2Serf, 3Arbs, FA): Tex '19 1.8
1B: Lowe ('21-26, Arb, FA)
LF/RF: Taveras ('20-'27, Serf, 3Arbs): Tex '15 Intl
C: Heim ('21-26, 3Arbs)
DH/LF: Langford?: Tex '23 1.4

For the Rangers, it could be the entire OF+3B.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

One curious thing about divisional series is that your game 1 and game 2 starters are interchangeable if the series goes 5.
It ends up being like College, where you've gotta decide which one you want to start if you advance.
DallasAg 94
Organize this better:

1977 Dodgers (yrs with Dodgers): Draft info
C: Steve Yeager ('72-85): LAD '67 4thRd
1B: Steve Garvey ('69-82): LAD '68 1stRd
2B: Davey Lopes ('72-81): LAD '68 2ndRd (2ndaryPhase)
SS: Bill Russell ('69-86): LAD '66 9thRd
3B: Ron Cey ('71-82): LAD '68 3rdRd

LF: Dusty Baker ('76-83): Braves
CF: Rick Monday ('77-84): KC, 1st overall '65
RF: Reggie Smith ('76-81)

'72-81 the entire IF was the same and all homegrown.
beagle2009
AG
94chem said:

Ideal scenario would be a 2-1 series lead and send him out there for game 4. As long as we're submitting our wish lists...

Ideal scenario would be a 3-0 sweep.
Mr Gigem
AG
Prime time for Wednesday!
94chem
beagle2009 said:

94chem said:

Ideal scenario would be a 3-0 sweep.

Yes, but stay on topic.
94chem,
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm guessing the roof will be open Tuesday and Wednesday
Proposition Joe
Mr Gigem said:

I'm guessing the roof will be open Tuesday and Wednesday

I'd be shocked if it's open for a playoff game.
Mr Gigem
AG
Why?
FTAco07
AG
Same reason Houston always keeps their roof closed in the playoffs, it's a lot louder closed than open.
Proposition Joe
It will be in the upper 80's.

While that's a reprieve for most Texans, that's still not a comfortable temp.

And looks like Wednesday has a chance of rain.

Most teams want to remove as many variables as possible when it comes to a big event like this. Weather is the biggest variable.
dallasiteinsa02
FTAco07 said:

Same reason Houston always keeps their roof closed in the playoffs, it's a lot louder closed than open.
Didn't this come up last year? MLB dictated it the opposite of the way Houston wanted it.
jkag89
dallasiteinsa02 said:

FTAco07 said:

Didn't this come up last year? MLB dictated it the opposite of the way Houston wanted it.
Yes, MLB mandated that the roof be open for the second game against the Damn Yankees in the ALCS. Of course when a Judge blast was knocked down by the wind, Yankee fans claimed the Astros were cheating pointing out how few times the roof was open during the season.
KT 90
AG
I think we all figured Dunning was a done deal, but maybe Bochy is just playing games with the O's:

KT 90
AG
jkag89 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

FTAco07 said:

Yes, MLB mandated that the roof be open for the second game against the Damn Yankees in the ALCS. Of course when a Judge blast was knocked down by the wind, Yankee fans claimed the Astros were cheating pointing out how few times the roof was open during the season.

So MLB decides? or is there some set criteria based on weather forecast and actual temps?
Tksymm7
AG
They're just trying to figure out what sets them up best for the entirety of the series.
jkag89
KT 90 said:

jkag89 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

FTAco07 said:

So MLB decides? or is there some set criteria based on weather forecast and actual temps?
I think each team that has a retractable roof has a set a criteria in which the roof will either be open or closed. Although the Astros would have preferred the roof to be closed for playoff contests because it helps trap the roar of the crowd, MLB has required the Minute Maid roof be open if the weather met the criteria in which the Astros would normally have it open during the regular season. It was less a point of contention recently but it was a huge deal when MLB required the roof to be open for the '05 World Series. I for one love the rare occasions that the roof has been been open but also understand why many Astros fans want it closed.
Proposition Joe
Rangers criteria at least opening season was above 80 = closed. I think some of you forget that 88 outside isn't exactly pleasant for most.
First Page Last Page
Page 691 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.