*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,386,980 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

FDXAg said:

94chem said:

Right now, which 3 man rotation would you exchange Montgomery/Eovaldi/Dunning for?

And I know it's stupid to say, but let's all remember that these are essentially our #3,#4 and #5 starters. A healthy DeGrom (#1) and Scherzer (#2) would make this an incredible starting 5.
Dunning was a question mark to make the team out of ST. Don't forget Odorizzi. Dunning was a bullpen hopeful.

These are the FA guys that need to be replaced for 2024:

Quote:

SP: Perez, Montgomery, Odorizzi
RP: Chapman, Stratton, Smith, Kennedy

Ut: Hedges, BMiller, Grossman, Jankowski
C: Garver

EC reasily replaces Grossman & Jankowski.

Montgomery is the one sentimentally that I'd like to get.
But you've got : eGrom, Scherzer, Dunning, Eovaldi, Gray, Heaney

Garver & Hedges would be nice.

Heaney has a player option for 24, so he isn't a definite for 24 yet. It's for $13M, so depends on if he things he can get a better offer than that, or a multi year deal.

Yes, but as we've discussed another 2.2 IP and it vests to $20M. That's kinda "who knows" land, IMO.

He'll still be 32 in the offseason, It will be interesting to see what his agent finds out there.

I'm guessing his agent will be looking for 3-4 yrs. Maybe $15-20 per?!

Not 100% positive, but I think that incentive is based on regular season stats.
Coppell97
AG
kyledr04 said:

Interesting that all 4 wild card series looking like they'll be done in two games
yes, and we are the only road team to win.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Arizona was on the road
agent-maroon
AG
Coppell97 said:

kyledr04 said:

Interesting that all 4 wild card series looking like they'll be done in two games
Diamondbacks were the road team with the Brewers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

FDXAg said:

94chem said:

Right now, which 3 man rotation would you exchange Montgomery/Eovaldi/Dunning for?

And I know it's stupid to say, but let's all remember that these are essentially our #3,#4 and #5 starters. A healthy DeGrom (#1) and Scherzer (#2) would make this an incredible starting 5.
Dunning was a question mark to make the team out of ST. Don't forget Odorizzi. Dunning was a bullpen hopeful.

These are the FA guys that need to be replaced for 2024:

Quote:

SP: Perez, Montgomery, Odorizzi
RP: Chapman, Stratton, Smith, Kennedy

Ut: Hedges, BMiller, Grossman, Jankowski
C: Garver

EC reasily replaces Grossman & Jankowski.

Montgomery is the one sentimentally that I'd like to get.
But you've got : eGrom, Scherzer, Dunning, Eovaldi, Gray, Heaney

Garver & Hedges would be nice.

Heaney has a player option for 24, so he isn't a definite for 24 yet. It's for $13M, so depends on if he things he can get a better offer than that, or a multi year deal.

Yes, but as we've discussed another 2.2 IP and it vests to $20M. That's kinda "who knows" land, IMO.

He'll still be 32 in the offseason, It will be interesting to see what his agent finds out there.

I'm guessing his agent will be looking for 3-4 yrs. Maybe $15-20 per?!

Not 100% positive, but I think that incentive is based on regular season stats.

Article is from a couple weeks ago, but doesn't mention anything about counting for Heaney :
"Then there is Andrew Heaney. Andrew Heaney has a $13 million player option for 2024, with a $500,000 buyout. The $13 million option increases to $20 million if Heaney reaches 150 innings pitches on the season. With 13 games to go and 12 innings needed, it would seem unlikely Heaney reaches that benchmark."

https://www.lonestarball.com/platform/amp/2023/9/18/23878811/the-state-of-texas-rangers-payroll-for-2024

Coppell97
AG
Aha. Forgot about the DBacks.
Grapesoda2525
agent-maroon said:

Coppell97 said:

kyledr04 said:

Diamondbacks were the road team with the Brewers
Diamondbacks hid like snakes from the Astros and emerged to get a critical bite on the brewers. They died before anti venom could be administered.
alvtimes
DeangeloVickers said:

this has been discussed here already, but I'll gladly hold my hand up as one that lol'd at the Carter draft pick…..I'll take any heat, glad to be majorly wrong!!!
gigem1223
Should be more Carter this next series, with Bradish and Rodriguez both being righties.
alvtimes
ok yall help an old man out.
Josh Jung 2.4 War 478ab 127 hits 23Hr .266 avg
Gunnar Henderson 6.3war 560ab 143 hits 28hrs .255 ba

In this world of analytics 6.3war seems a lot better than 2.4
these 2 guys seem to pretty comparable except for war and at bats….. why the big advantage in war?
fc2112
Big part of WAR is runs scored.

Henderson - 100
Jung - 75

Frankly, the better a team the guy is on, the higher his team brings up his WAR.
fc2112
The best thing about this series win, imho, is one walk over 18 innings pitched. And that was LeClerc walking Josh Lowe in the 9th of Game 1 with a 4 run lead in order to get to Taylor Walls and his .201 BA.
gigem1223
fc2112 said:

Big part of WAR is runs scored.

Henderson - 100
Jung - 75

Frankly, the better a team the guy is on, the higher his team brings up his WAR.

Henderson also played in 38 more games than Jung which is another major contributing factor with WAR.
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

The best thing about this series win, imho, is one walk over 18 innings pitched. And that was LeClerc walking Josh Lowe in the 9th of Game 1 with a 4 run lead in order to get to Taylor Walls and his .201 BA.
While I think this is great. I have to disagree.

Best part of the series win is : first playoff series win since 2011 and snapped 7 or 8 game playoff losing streak.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

While I think this is great. I have to disagree.

Best part of the series win is : first playoff series win since 2011 and snapped 7 or 8 game playoff losing streak.

Also the production from Eovaldi. If this is him hitting his stride again, look out! I'd happily take a starting rotation of Dunning, Monty, and Evo for the ALDS.
Mr Gigem
AG
Prime time game for Tuesday!
AgBQ-00
AG
Very happy we have a couple day's rest to get our rotation set up pretty well and get our bullpen reset.
jteagle
AG
Hey yall! I'm a Rangers fan but haven't really kept up with the rest of the league. About all I know about the Orioles is their record. Somebody help me out with a scouting report for them. What should I expect in this series?

Thanks in advance!
Tksymm7
AG
They have taken one of the biggest body blows in the AL, outside of losing deGrom for the full season, in that they also lost their all-world closer Felix Bautista. They are, for the most part, incredibly young and talented with absolutely zero playoff experience.
Water Boy
AG
To be fair and objective, that injury does not really effect us. If the rangers are losing in the 8th or 9th inning then its pretty much game over for us no matter who the closer is. Hopefully something changes in the post season but I don't remember winning much games late in the ball game when we are trailing.
gigem1223
Gotta think game 1 is critical for Baltimore. If Dunning can manage to lead us to a W in game 1, we have to become the heavy favorites to win the series with Monty and Evo ready to go in game 2 and 3.
DallasAg 94
Scherzer:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38569137/scherzer-encouraged-throwing-pain-free-bullpen-session

Quote:

"Last week was a light bullpen, this one was for real," he said Wednesday, per the Morning News. "I was able to step on it more. And it was pain free."
It wouldn't surprise me if they activated him for the ALDS as an option. Go Dunning, Montgomery, Eovaldi and see where we are. If we win at least 2 of those, you don't need to pitch him.
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

Scherzer:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38569137/scherzer-encouraged-throwing-pain-free-bullpen-session

Quote:

"Last week was a light bullpen, this one was for real," he said Wednesday, per the Morning News. "I was able to step on it more. And it was pain free."
It wouldn't surprise me if they activated him for the ALDS as an option. Go Dunning, Montgomery, Eovaldi and see where we are. If we win at least 2 of those, you don't need to pitch him.

I think at least for this series, if he's able to go, put him in the BP. Need some quality RH pitching. If he pitches any with no setbacks and we do make it to the CS, then I'd entertain the thought of him pitching as a 4th starter, depending on how Dunning, Monty, and Evo continue performing.
Proposition Joe
They aren't going to waste a roster spot on a guy that isn't ready -- especially with Bochy insists on having 3 catchers on the roster.

ALCS will be the soonest you see Scherzer.
shack009
AG
I tend to agree. Use him as a guy who can take an inning against a right-handed dominant lineup. He probably would have the lowest heart rate of anybody out of the pen in late innings.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Proposition Joe said:

They aren't going to waste a roster spot on a guy that isn't ready -- especially with Bochy insists on having 3 catchers on the roster.

I honestly think there's a chance he could be available. The most important thing in that regards is how he's feeling today after the Bullpen session. If he's feeling good and especially pain free, they would have to break his legs to keep him off the field.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I don't disagree with this point at all, but we may as well leave Will Smith off the ALDS roster. He ain't pitching unless we have a huge lead or deficit. In that case, Hedges can pitch. Scherzer could take Smith's spot.
Double Talkin' Jive...
PatAg
AG
We won the regular season series vs Baltimore right?
gigem1223
PatAg said:

We won the regular season series vs Baltimore right?

3-3
Proposition Joe
I think you guys are forgetting who our manager is.

We're carrying 3 catchers.

We're batting Robbie Grossman in the 3 hole against righties because "he doesn't want to mess with the lineup".

He's not going to add a pitcher to the limited ALDS roster that hasn't pitched in a month to have him come in as a reliever... something he hasn't done since his rookie season 15 years ago.
DallasAg 94
Scherzer came out of the BP in the Postseason in '17 (WSN), '19 (WSN), and '21 (LAD)

Grossman had 10BB in his last 7 appearances when he hit #3 and had a .400+ OBP.
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

Scherzer came out of the BP in the Postseason in '17 (WSN), '19 (WSN), and '21 (LAD)

Grossman had 10BB in his last 7 appearances when he hit #3 and had a .400+ OBP.

That's been my thing about Grossman batting there, I don't love it, but it's not like he's Jankowski batting in the 3 hole.
shack009
AG
It wouldn't be absolutely insane against a lefty pitcher. It just makes absolutely no sense against a right hander.

We saw them IBB Seager in the 3rd inning yesterday because they're completely unafraid of Grossman. Maybe they would walk Seager with Lowe hitting third, but at least we would then feel better about getting a hit after that.
MrCoachEricTaylor
So true.. definitely need to get Garver in the game this series. The guy was about as hot as anyone in the league, don't want him cooling off.
Proposition Joe
shack009 said:

It wouldn't be absolutely insane against a lefty pitcher. It just makes absolutely no sense against a right hander.

We saw them IBB Seager in the 3rd inning yesterday because they're completely unafraid of Grossman. Maybe they would walk Seager with Lowe hitting third, but at least we would then feel better about getting a hit after that.

This.

Grossman against lefties is fine. Prolly shouldn't be that high in the lineup but not that big a deal.

Grossman against righties at all makes no sense. Batting #3 is just buffoonery.
First Page Last Page
Page 689 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.