*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,392,432 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rocky_ag said:

Nope. Magic number is three because a three-way tie is still possible for the division and we would be the odd man out on that three way tie.

Only in a 3 way tie where Seattle wins the division by tiebreaker. Once the 3 way tie is resolved, it goes to a two way tiebreaker between the other two teams, which we'd win over Seattle.
Legal Custodian
AG
aggietony2010 said:

rocky_ag said:

Nope. Magic number is three because a three-way tie is still possible for the division and we would be the odd man out on that three way tie.

Only in a 3 way tie where Seattle wins the division by tiebreaker. Once the 3 way tie is resolved, it goes to a two way tiebreaker between the other two teams, which we'd win over Seattle.
In the one and only scenario where it finishes in a 3 way tie for the division, Seattle wins the tiebreak due to Divisional record. Then it goes to a Head-to-Head record between us and Houston which Houston would win. Rocky_ag is correct.
Carlo4
AG
Proposition Joe
And all of this is why it's not really a magic number.
J.P. 03
AG
caleblyn said:

Hoping for two wins by Seattle over Houston and Rangers to win the next two verses Angels. We win 1 verses Seattle to win the Division outright, and throw the final 3 to eliminate Houston!

I hope it comes down to the final game, with Houston needing us to beat Seattle so they can get the WC.

We take a 3-run lead into the bottom of the 9th, then take advantage of the new rule to signal for 7 consecutive free passes and become the first team in MLB history to lose a game via a walk-off intentional walk.
Proposition Joe
J.P. 03 said:

caleblyn said:

Hoping for two wins by Seattle over Houston and Rangers to win the next two verses Angels. We win 1 verses Seattle to win the Division outright, and throw the final 3 to eliminate Houston!

I hope it comes down to the final game, with Houston needing us to beat Seattle so they can get the WC.

We take a 3-run lead into the bottom of the 9th, then take advantage of the new rule to signal for 7 consecutive free passes and become the first team in MLB history to lose a game via a walk-off intentional walk.

You aren't being creative enough.

7 consecutive free passes?

How about 12 straight balls, each with an enormous smile. Then a pitching change. Repeat. Then bring on our closer. To throw 4 more balls.
J.P. 03
AG
Yeah but with our bullpen it might be tough to convince Houston they were doing it on purpose.
ClassOf17
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-playoff-picture-clinching-scenarios-whats-at-stake-tuesday-as-phillies-rangers-eye-postseason-berths/amp/

Says we clinch tonight if we win and M's lose
DeangeloVickers
AG
Me reading all these

KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Me reading all these

This. Just win the next several games and don't worry about it.
Legal Custodian
AG
ClassOf17 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-playoff-picture-clinching-scenarios-whats-at-stake-tuesday-as-phillies-rangers-eye-postseason-berths/amp/

Says we clinch tonight if we win and M's lose
Not necessarily due to what rocky_ag brought up in that the possibility still exists of a 3 way tie for the division. In which case, Seattle would win the division based on record vs AL West and we would be eliminated due to head-to-head vs Houston.

If we win tonight and Houston wins tonight that requires Seattle to win out the remaining 5 games and us to lose the remaining 5 games.

In that scenario if Houston sweeps Arizona they win the division, and we get the last WC because of finishing tied with SEA and us having the tiebreaker. If instead Houston goes 2-1 vs Arizona in this scenario then everyone finishes with an 89-73 record. Tie break goes to SEA, last WC goes to HOU on h2h vs us. Or we could backdoor our way into the last WC if TOR goes 1-5 or worse over their last six.
fc2112
Seen on r/texasrangers - these last few days

Chipotlemonger
AG
Carlo4 said:

Mr Gigem said:

That sweep over Seattle was MASSIVE
That diving play by Lowe to end the game.
Anyone got a video link? I don't get a lot of Rangers games.
aggietony2010
AG
https://www.mlb.com/video/dominic-canzone-grounds-out-first-baseman-nathaniel-lowe-to-pitcher-jose?affiliateId=mlbapp-android_video-share
caleblyn
Sidebar, fun question...

How long will it take for Langford to be called up next year?
fc2112
Opening Day
rbtexan
S
caleblyn said:

Sidebar, fun question...

How long will it take for Langford to be called up next year?
Interesting question. A lot will depend on what moves the Rangers make during the off-season, and how Langford does in spring training (I'm assuming he'll get an invite).

If the roster stays basically the same, I think he starts at AAA. If Garver doesn't come back, and I'm expecting he's gone, then it opens a spot for Langford. DH could be rotated between the outfielders. I would suspect this early in his career they'd rather Langford play defense as much as possible. As good as Garcia is, it might not be the worst thing in the world if he gets quite a few games as DH. The Rangers could also trade somebody (Tavares or Garcia most likely I would think) and open up a spot that way.

It'll be an interesting offseason for sure.
Jimbo Franchione
DeangeloVickers
AG
LeagueCityAg
AG
Just take care of business and the guys won't have to worry about magic numbers.
DeangeloVickers
AG
94chem
DeangeloVickers said:

In a 3-way tie, SEA would be the division champion? Please explain. I guess that assumes a SEA 4 game sweep of Texas which would give them the best record among the 3 against the other 2.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
DeangeloVickers said:

To oversimplify, the Rangers have been trying to get to the finish line, while the Astros are trying to get to the start line. When Max is working like this, it has to help the team realize that there are really big goals out there, and now can be their time. Young players don't fully comprehend urgency. I always remember Marino talking about going to the SB his rookie year, and thinking that's just how it would be.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Coppell97
AG
Who is pitching today? Rotowire says probable starter is Jake Latz. MLB says Bradford. Probably Bradford.
Mr Gigem
AG
PatriotAg02
AG
Think Bradford will be.
Grapesoda2525
Tonight could be fun…… rangers on Bally ( of course), but Astros / mariners are the national game on tbs. Can give you guys the Opportunity to flip channels and watch the mariners fight to stay in this thing.
KT 90
AG
Grossman gets the start again, we are facing another lefty:

alvtimes
this may have been covered here already, if so I apologize, but has Carter taken Jankowsi's spot for the most part???
Also probably best suited for off season thread….. But Im all for loading Gray up as part of a package for Corbin Burnes in the off season, make the deal spicey…. Max, Burnes, Eovaldi, Montogomery, Dunning….. then DeGrom back in august/sept makes me happy…… dont spit on my dream!!!! lol
Grapesoda2525
Jays and yanks are tied in 8th

Orioles won

Rays currently winning

Diamondbacks rained out
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Jays and yanks are tied in 8th

Orioles won

Rays currently winning

Diamondbacks rained out

Marlins are rained out. Dbacks are up on ChiSox.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Getting a bull pen game from the Rangers tonight according to Rangers pregame. Bradford probably won't get to see the order twice tonight.

Hold on to your butts!
Double Talkin' Jive...
DeangeloVickers
AG
Yikes. 2 ropes already on Bradford
gigem1223
Bradford seems to hit a bit of a wall. Bats are gonna have to score some runs tonight
Mozart Paintings
AG
Oh my
gigem1223
Dumb idea to start Bradford. He's been terrible the past two months.
First Page Last Page
Page 613 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.