*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,394,624 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
beagle2009 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

South Platte said:

I love hosting Seattle for our last home series and not having a clue who our Saturday starter will be. I guess Bradford starts, then hopefully get 2 innings from Perez and Heaney. Bring in Will Smith to slam the door shut in the 8th.

Do you go that route, or do you let Martn get a start and see what he's got potentially for the post season?

Sounds like Martin is going to get another chance in the rotation.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rangers-likely-to-put-martin-perez-back-in-rotation-in-push-for-playoffs-with-al-west-wild-card-spots-open/

Man, our bullpen is so bad we kinda need Perez there, no? Either way, at least he is throwing well and providing quality innings. We've got to quit giving away so many winnable games, so maybe leave Perez in the pen and start giving him more late inning opportunities.

Here is the weekend rotation from Evan:

Grapesoda2525
Mr Gigem said:

Wouldn't be shocked if he bailed. Wouldn't be the first time.

Can someone elaborate on his disdain for the club?
I think he's extremely shy or has social anxiety issues. Could be wrong tho.
South Platte
I'd feel much better about life if Toronto lost tonight.
bmac_aggie18
AG
South Platte said:

I'd feel much better about life if Toronto lost tonight.

The Mariners have the toughest schedule out of all of us with 7 against TEX and 3 against HOU so if anything that's making me feel a little better
DeangeloVickers
AG
Mr Gigem said:

My understanding is upset the Rangers traded him to Tigers
WestTexasAg
AG
Yankees with an early 3-0 lead and Cole on the mound.
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers said:

Mr Gigem said:

My understanding is upset the Rangers traded him to Tigers
It was bigger than that.

Hicks accused him of using PEDs, and then chastised him for not earning his contract.

I'll see what I can dig up in case I'm not remembering correctly. When all that went down, Juan-Do believed the Org itself abandoned him and repeatedly disrespected him.

I think he wanted the type of adoration that Pudge gets but has always seemed to have animosity.

I'd really like to see them mend the ways, but when the team tries and reaches their hand out, he does things to alienate them and bite their hand.
DallasAg 94
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=2910627&src=desktop

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, and that came out of his 2nd stint with the Rangers after having been traded. Resigned him to a sizable seal in 2002 but he missed half of both seasons, the team crashed and burned, and Hicks was bitter.
Legal Custodian
AG
*whistle*come here you moron dog! *whistle* *whistle*
DannyDuberstein
AG
They tried to induct him with Pudge 10 years ago but he turned it down. Couldnt even get him on the phone.
cmiller00
AG
Didn't he also turn down a huge extension from Detroit?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, 8 for $140. Turned it down, had an underwhelming year, then signed for 1 year with Cle with the hope of rebuilding his value. Didn't really happen. Rangers signed him 2 for $24 which fizzled, then played a couple more years before retiring

He was inducted in 2015 with Jeff Russell but didnt show up
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=2910627&src=desktop

Quote:

Sidelined by a torn ligament in right thumb and a right calf injury, he played
in only 152 of 324 games, hitting .288 with 32 homers and 105 RBIs

I mean those aren't terrible numbers for 152 games.
rbtexan
S
Gonzales was always a bit petulant. Threw tantrums, pouted, etc. Denied using steroids and I think his perception was that the Rangers didn't back him up.
Jimbo Franchione
WestTexasAg
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/1999/1102/147969.html

"The trade hurts my feelings, because it's after 13 consecutive years with one organization, giving them my best," Gonzalez told Puerto Rico television station Teleonce.

Nonetheless, he commended the Rangers organization for the way he was treated.

"I thank the Rangers organization for giving me the opportunity to be a professional," Gonzalez said. "It's a great organization, and they treated me like a king."
agent-maroon
AG
My ex-SIL had an Asian take out restaurant that used to deliver food to JG. Said he never made eye contact or spoke, just took the food and dropped more than enough cash to cover it at the delivery guy's feet as he shut the door.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, overall an awkward introvert and I think the contrast with Pudge only made it worse. Pudge learned english, was always smiling, and was a huge fan favorite. To some extent I think Juando thought "i'm never gonna be able to do that; it just isn't me" and just withdrew further. Why even try, basically
Quincey P. Morris
AG
rbtexan said:

Gonzales was always a bit petulant. Threw tantrums, pouted, etc. Denied using steroids and I think his perception was that the Rangers didn't back him up.

Remember him waving a towel in the dugout over the scorer scoring an error instead of a hit and cost him some RBIs?
ryanhnc10
AG
IGOR

Not sure how often this happens, but thought it was crazy in one of his MVP years he wasn't even an all-star. Goes to show how dumb that nomination is
Danny Vermin
Juando was an ass to the media but he was really nice to fans. I saw him a few times at a certain grocery store in North Arlington. I didnt bother him much but always said" hey juando " and he would always say hello. He could speak English well enough later in his career but just chose not to the media very often.
Grapesoda2525
Off day going as well as it could.

Rays won and orioles losing. Need those teams fighting for the AL east as long as possible.

Blow Jays losing to Yankees 5-1 with 1 inning to go.
WestTexasAg
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

rbtexan said:

Remember him waving a towel in the dugout over the scorer scoring an error instead of a hit and cost him some RBIs?
I remember that. He was also gesturing at the score keeper while standing on first base.
WestTexasAg
AG
Toronto goes down.
beagle2009
AG
Taking my 7 year old and one of his friends to the game on Sunday. Can't remember the last time I was this excited about Rangers baseball during this time of the year! A rare weekend where the Aggies & Cowboys will take the backseat.

Edit: My oldest son turns 7 on Sunday. We gave him the choice to either have a birthday party with many of his friends or he could take one friend to the game. He didn't even think twice about choosing the Rangers. Proud Dad moment for sure!
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Rays won and orioles losing. Need those teams fighting for the AL east as long as possible.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38455782/blue-jays-star-vladimir-guerrero-jr-right-knee-inflammation
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38455782/blue-jays-star-vladimir-guerrero-jr-right-knee-inflammation

Did see where he made a pinch hit appearance in the game today.
94chem
And just for the sake of diversions, the Padres have now won 7 in a row to climb within 4 of the WC spot currently held by CHI and MIA. Yeah, it's still virtually impossible odds, but if they won their last 9, they would perhaps enter the playoffs on a 16 game winning streak.

What year did the Rangers win their last 10 games to get the WC? I remember Joe Nathan in a nail-biter in cold rain...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Legal Custodian
AG
So looking at our schedule this is our chances at the playoffs:

10-0 - Wildcard secured, Division title unless Hou goes 9-0

9-1 - Wildcard secured, division title unless Hou goes 8-1

8-2 - Wildcard secured, division title unless Hou goes 7-2

7-3 - Wildcard secured, division title unless Hou goes 6-3

6-4 - If 4 wins are against SEA wildcard is secured as best SEA could do is tie us and we'd have the tiebreaker. Division title unless HOU goes 5-4 in above scenario. The only way we miss the playoffs if we go 6-4 are if 3 of the wins are vs SEA and then SEA sweeps HOU and then HOU goes 5-1 vs KC & AZ and then TOR goes 6-3 or better

5-5 - Wildcard secured if the 5 wins are against SEA. If not it gets complicated as there's lots of scenarios

4-6 - Division still technically possible if HOU goes 2-7 and SEA goes 4-6 (or 3-7 depending on where our 4 wins come from regarding tiebreaker). Wildcard possible depending on the HOU/SEA series, or if TOR goes 3-6

3-7 - Division title not possible, Wildcard only possible if Houston goes 1-8 or TOR goes 2-7

2-8 - Division title not possible, Wildcard only possible if Houston goes 0-9 or TOR goes 1-8

1-9 - Division title not possible, Wildcard only possible if TOR goes 0-9

0-10 - Eliminated

Do I have any of that wrong?
Grapesoda2525
Legal Custodian said:

6-4 - If 4 wins are against SEA wildcard is secured as best SEA could do is tie us and we'd have the tiebreaker. Division title unless HOU goes 5-4 in above scenario. The only way we miss the playoffs if we go 6-4 are if 3 of the wins are vs SEA and then SEA sweeps HOU and then HOU goes 5-1 vs KC & AZ and then TOR goes 6-3 or better

5-5 - Wildcard secured if the 5 wins are against SEA. If not it gets complicated as there's lots of scenarios

4-6 - Division still technically possible if HOU goes 2-7 and SEA goes 4-6 (or 3-7 depending on where our 4 wins come from regarding tiebreaker). Wildcard possible depending on the HOU/SEA series, or if TOR goes 3-6

3-7 - Division title not possible, Wildcard only possible if Houston goes 1-8 or TOR goes 2-7

2-8 - Division title not possible, Wildcard only possible if Houston goes 0-9 or TOR goes 1-8

0-10 - Eliminated

Not going to double check you, but if this is accurate, looks like the easiest somewhat likely path to the playoffs is 2/3 against Seattle at home, sweep angels, then get 1 out of 4 in Seattle.

OR

Win 2 vs Seattle and 2 @ angels and we would need 2 in Seattle.

Angels series we really need to go 2/3 or better.
WestTexasAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Legal Custodian said:

0-10 - Eliminated

Not going to double check you, but if this is accurate, looks like the easiest somewhat likely path to the playoffs is 2/3 against Seattle at home, sweep angels, then get 1 out of 4 in Seattle.

OR

Also, the Astros will be playing the Mariners while we are playing the Angels.
Grapesoda2525
WestTexasAg said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Legal Custodian said:

0-10 - Eliminated

OR

Also, the Astros will be playing the Mariners while we are playing the Angels.
Even more reason to play our best 3 games of the damn season
rbtexan
S
On this day in 1911, 44 year old Cy Young recorded his final career win, a 1-0 shutout giving him a career total of 511. He debuted in the majors at age 23, posting a rather mundane 9-7 3.47 season with the Cleveland Spiders in 1890. He went on to have 5 seasons of 30 or more wins, as well as 10 seasons of 20 or more wins.

My favorite Cy Young season was 1892. At age 25, he went 36-12 1.93 ERA with Cleveland, but check out these numbers. That season he pitched 53 games (49 starts) compiling 48 complete games with 453 IP and 9 shutouts. His WAR was 13.0 Obviously a different era, dead ball etc., but still that's pretty amazing stuff.

In his career he threw 749 complete games and 76 shutouts.

Just a bit of baseball history to start your morning.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

On this day in 1911, 44 year old Cy Young recorded his final career win, a 1-0 shutout giving him a career total of 511. He debuted in the majors at age 23, posting a rather mundane 9-7 3.47 season with the Cleveland Spiders in 1890. He went on to have 5 seasons of 30 or more wins, as well as 10 seasons of 20 or more wins.

My favorite Cy Young season was 1892. At age 25, he went 36-12 1.93 ERA with Cleveland, but check out these numbers. That season he pitched 53 games (49 starts) compiling 48 complete games with 453 IP and 9 shutouts. His WAR was 13.0 Obviously a different era, dead ball etc., but still that's pretty amazing stuff.

In his career he threw 749 complete games and 76 shutouts.

Just a bit of baseball history to start your morning.

Those are insane IP and CG stats compared to today's game. But of course he also likely wasn't trying to max out his velo like today's pitchers do either, probably some correlation there.
rbtexan
S
Absolutely. It was such a different game back then - they played fewer games, travelled less (there were no west coast teams back then), the dead ball, etc. In the 1892 season I mentioned, Bug Holliday of the Reds was the MLB home run leader - with 13. Doubles and triples were much more common - Ed Delahanty of Philly lead the league in 3B's with 21 that year. They played more of a base-to-base game, with a lot of bunting and stolen bases.

Still, the stats Young put up are pretty amazing, and he holds probably the one record in baseball that will never, ever be broken.
Jimbo Franchione
First Page Last Page
Page 591 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.