*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,378,946 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Flounder Dorfman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So speaking of next year, what does LF look like? Would the plan be for Evan Carter to take it, FA signing or continue with what they have?
DallasAg 94
Mark today as one that "Prop Joe" and I agree.

I know it is still early, but just putting that out there.
DallasAg 94
Flounder Dorfman said:

So speaking of next year, what does LF look like? Would the plan be for Evan Carter to take it, FA signing or continue with what they have?
I think we still have a ways to go this season to know.

Jankowski and Grossman are both FAs.

Grant is likely a mid-season call-up.
JP Martinez is probably more of a true CF.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes, i think all eyes will be on the BP. I agree as mentioned above that it is a roll-of-the-dice, but expectations will be super high for 2024 and that will be the area of concern to address.
DallasAg 94
Regarding the BP the rest of the way.

The fact our record is as good as it is with the number of blown saves and terrible BP, is actually encouraging.

One thing to also remember about the BP is the requirement to face a minimum of 3 batters. Historically, if you walk a guy on 4 straight pitches, you are likely yanked in critical games.

I think Bochy will spend the rest of the season to get guys in roles. Heaney has become a long reliever avg 3IP/GS in his last 3 GS. That is more a reflection of his poor outings, but Bochy has shortened his leash. He'll still likely get 27.2 IP and achieve 150IP.

I think the SP will have the justification to remain in games in the Postseason. I think Scherzer, Montgomery, and Dunning will all get the benefit of the doubt to work longer.

Both Maddux and Montgomery have used SPs as RPs on their BP days. I wouldn't expect a SP to be inserted as a RP to get no more than 1 or 2 outs. I could see a scenario where a RP has a couple guys on base with 2 outs and bringing in Montgomery to get the final out.

Hopefully Eovaldi makes a return.

<edits in bold>
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

The fact our record is as good as it is with the number of blown saves and terrible BP, is actually encouraging.

One thing to also remember about the BP is the requirement to face a minimum of 3 batters. Historically, if you walk a guy on 4 straight pitches, you are likely yanked in critical games.

I think Bochy will spend the rest of the season to get guys in roles. Heaney has become a long reliever avg 3IP/GS in his last 3 GS. That is more a reflection of his poor outings, but Bochy has shortened his leash. He'll still likely get 27.2 IP and achieve 150IP.

I think the SP will have the justification to remain in games in the Postseason. I think Scherzer, Montgomery, and Dunning will all get the benefit of the doubt to work longer.

Both Maddux and Montgomery have used SPs are RPs on their BP days. I wouldn't expect a SP to be inserted as a RP to get more than 1 or 2 outs. I could see a scenario where a RP has a couple guys on base with 2 outs and bringing in Montgomery to get the final out.

I did read something this morning from Facebook or X, it was a quote from Nate saying he feels like he's ready to go and is expecting to be activated in the next couple of days.
Jimtim1216
S
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Both Maddux and Montgomery have used SPs are RPs on their BP days. I wouldn't expect a SP to be inserted as a RP to get more than 1 or 2 outs. I could see a scenario where a RP has a couple guys on base with 2 outs and bringing in Montgomery to get the final out.

I did read something this morning from Facebook or X, it was a quote from Nate saying he feels like he's ready to go and is expecting to be activated in the next couple of days.

No way. Too many people on here keep saying he's done.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Jimtim1216 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

CampingAg
AG
South Platte said:

CampingAg said:

I just don't see a path to winning in the playoffs with this bullpen. A good bullpen is THE most important piece of winning in the playoffs. You can get by with average SP or average offense. But non-elite, much less terrible bullpens don't make deep runs.
2011 Cardinals beat us with no closer. LaRussa said as much during the playoffs. Motte, Octavio Dotel, Arthur Rhodes, Repcynski. Those guys were all no better than LeClerq, Sborz, etc.

The AL has no dominant team. It's a complete toss-up to see who gets hot, who hangs on late in games. The NL has Atlanta and LA, both are huge trouble.
Correct. And at no point this year have we proven we can do that. Even after adding two bullpen arms.
Baby Billy
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

I would hope our plan is for Carter to take that spot at some point next year. I was hoping he was gonna take the Jung path but that doesn't seem likely
Tksymm7
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

I would hope our plan is for Carter to take that spot at some point next year. I was hoping he was gonna take the Jung path but that doesn't seem likely
He'll probably get the chance to take an outfield spot, but I'm not sure he's ready. He's still only 20 years old; and even after his ridiculous start to the season he's had a pretty up and down year where he's gone stretches of not hitting the ball hard. I think he really needs to physically mature more.
Proposition Joe
Jimtim1216 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I don't think anyone has posted that Eovaldi was definitely done, only opining that there's a chance we don't see him again this season.

You on the other hand have proclaimed his return "next week" for a month+ now

07/23: "He's just having one start skipped"

07/26: "It was smart giving Eovaldi extra rest" after a skipped start.

07/29: "If being skipped again I expect him to pitch Wednesday (08/02)".

07/30: "By all accounts Nate Eovaldi will be back at the end of next week (08/08)."

08/02: "Good news on Eovaldi is that CY said last night he appears to be ready about the time his DL stint ends"

08/12: "From CY time table might be starting next weekend (08/19)"

08/19: "Eovaldi has another BP this weekend. He is close"

08/19: "Will not be shocked to see him start next week (08/25)"

But this time you're sure and it's everyone else who has no clue.

None of us know better than Eovaldi and the staff - but many of us have watched baseball long enough to know what the coach/player say in a public facing interview isn't necessarily the whole story.
fc2112
Damn Tucker just robbed Cabrera of a HR
Jimtim1216
S
Proposition Joe said:

Jimtim1216 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I don't think anyone has posted that Eovaldi was definitely done, only opining that there's a chance we don't see him again this season.

You on the other hand have proclaimed his return "next week" for a month+ now

07/23: "He's just having one start skipped"

07/26: "It was smart giving Eovaldi extra rest" after a skipped start.

07/29: "If being skipped again I expect him to pitch Wednesday (08/02)".

07/30: "By all accounts Nate Eovaldi will be back at the end of next week (08/08)."

08/02: "Good news on Eovaldi is that CY said last night he appears to be ready about the time his DL stint ends"

08/12: "From CY time table might be starting next weekend (08/19)"

08/19: "Eovaldi has another BP this weekend. He is close"

08/19: "Will not be shocked to see him start next week (08/25)"

But this time you're sure and it's everyone else who has no clue.

None of us know better than Eovaldi and the staff - but many of us have watched baseball long enough to know what the coach/player say in a public facing interview isn't necessarily the whole story.

You are right. Completely right
bmac_aggie18
AG
I see Adolis showed up, watches a fastball down the middle for strike 2 then swings at a ball in the dirt
aggietony2010
AG
Man, Adolis watched two decent fastballs right down Broadway to start that AB.
bmac_aggie18
AG
I see Raymond talking up that Correa double play lol
TexasAggiesWin
S
Great "start"
aggietony2010
AG
Time to get Perez warming up.
aggiefan09
AG
Dunning probably roomed with Will Smith and took some pitching notes from him last night.
Coppell97
AG
Not good at all.
CampingAg
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

I see Adolis showed up, watches a fastball down the middle for strike 2 then swings at a ball in the dirt

Also watched one in the same spot for strike one.
Coppell97
AG
Let's come back and win this. Time to flip the script. Win the one where it looks like we don't have a chance. Let's go.
aggietony2010
AG
Mitch showing Adolis what you do with a middle middle fastball.
gcracker13
AG
Has anyone mentioned that Framber is THROWING A NO HITTER? Just wanted to make sure that it was out there
aggietony2010
AG
gcracker13 said:

Has anyone mentioned that Framber is THROWING A NO HITTER? Just wanted to make sure that it was out there

He isn't going to get to finish his NO-HITTER, because of pitch count.
gcracker13
AG
Then maybe the tigers can finally get a hit. Or a run. Or show some life to make me feel better
Coppell97
AG
Hedges!
gcracker13
AG
Hey it worked, the tigers got a hit
aggietony2010
AG
Hedges gets to second with no outs...

...and the top of the order can't even move him to third.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Wow Gallo got screwed there
KT 90
AG
gcracker13 said:

Hey it worked, the tigers got a hit

Box score shows a combined two hits in that game. 9th inning.
kyledr04
AG
Yeah at that point count should have been 2-1 but oh well, that's what happens when you talk crap to the ump on 0-2
vette
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

That was bad
KT 90
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Yep, ump show there worked in our favor this time.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Adolis should have beat that
First Page Last Page
Page 489 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.