*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,379,324 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is Giolito 0-3 in starts since being qualified? Incredible how that organization turns every pitcher into mush
DallasAg 94
ChipFTAC01 said:

Man, I'd forgotten a our that Milton Bradley great season (and Milton Bradley foe that matter).

Did Gary Matthew's Jr have an incredible season and then never come close to repeating it again?
Tell me if you've heard this before... GMJ had an All-Star season in Texas and then signed a 3yr deal with Anaheim for like $26M and hit .248 and average 10HRs/yr.

Not to be outdone, the Mets sign him for 2yrs for a total of $33M and he'd play 36G for them batting .190 and 0 HRs.
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

Is Giolito 0-3 in starts since being qualified? Incredible how that organization turns every pitcher into mush
He is 1-2 with a 9.0 ERA in 15.0 IP.
bmac_aggie18
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

He is 1-2 with a 9.0 ERA in 15.0 IP.

Real shame isn't it?
Schall 02
AG
What's up with the poopoo attendance tonight? I figured Ohtani would draw fans.
Coppell97
AG
First day and week of school for lots of families. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Schall 02
AG
Coppell97 said:

First day and week of school for lots of families. Maybe that had something to do with it.

@MrGigEm: tell the brass to make the first night of school game next year a singles night or some such.
bearkatag15
AG

Incredible season.. cheers
Grapesoda2525
The dusty / maldy complaints happen even when they win. I can't believe how miserable the other board is.
Grapesoda2525

Racking up those K's
Grapesoda2525

Never would've guessed number 1. Would've guessed Josh Hamilton 2010 or one of the A-rod years. Hopefully Seager stays healthy the rest of the way.
fc2112
Even Japanese TV was onto Section 133.

Grapesoda2525

Pretty good after all the trades we just made.
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Pretty good after all the trades we just made.
I like that we stayed in the top third. That is what is important to me. Imagine if we could develop pitching? We'd probably be top 5 easily.
Proposition Joe
Bizarro Jerry said:

Also important to keep in mind Hamilton did it over 500+ AB's, was a plus defender, and plus baserunner.

Seager is crushing this year, but he's an average defender and a below average baserunner that still needs to keep it up for another month and a half to match Josh.

2010 Josh Hamilton was a unicorn.
MrCoachEricTaylor
We know nowadays that offense rules.. so do we think that seager can over take Ohtani in the MVP race? I know Ohtani's pitching numbers have dipped precipitously, and Seags has missed quite a bit of time but is still producing pretty historic numbers. I'm not holding out too much hope, but he definitely deserves a silver slugger award.
Tksymm7
AG
I see absolutely no way that Seager could pass Ohtani. Primarily because of how much time Seager has missed, but also because Ohtani is having a super special season at the plate as well. He's putting up career numbers in basically every category at the plate (as is Seager, but Ohtani has almost 200 more plate appearances). He's definitely not pitching to the level he did last year, but he's still got an ERA+ of 140, which is on track for matching his 2021 numbers when he also won the MVP with worse offensive stats. Seager would have to go nuclear the rest of the season and not miss a single game imo.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Tksymm7 said:

I see absolutely no way that Seager could pass Ohtani. Primarily because of how much time Seager has missed, but also because Ohtani is having a super special season at the plate as well. He's putting up career numbers in basically every category at the plate (as is Seager, but Ohtani has almost 200 more plate appearances). He's definitely not pitching to the level he did last year, but he's still got an ERA+ of 140, which is on track for matching his 2021 numbers when he also won the MVP with worse offensive stats. Seager would have to go nuclear the rest of the season and not miss a single game imo.

Ohh Geeze, I didn't realize that was his ERA+, I knew he was doing pretty good early on, but I thought he had been pitching below average to average for a while.
DallasAg 94
FYI for Ohtani:

1st H / 2nd H
.302, 89G, 32 HR, 11 SB, .387 OBP, 1.050 OPS
.304, 30G, 9 HR, 6 SB, .458 OBP, 1.095 OPS

1st H / 2nd H
17 GS, 3.32 ERA, 100.1 IP, 132 SO
5 GS, 2.67 ERA, 30.1 IP, 33 SO

They've slowed his pitching, but he is at 130.2 IP and among the leaders in IP... he'll likely Qualify.
Tksymm7
AG
His hitting statistics are unbelievable across the board.
Carlo4
AG
shack009
AG
Kiley McDaniel's 2023 Midseason Top 50 MLB Prospects

6. Wyatt Langford
14. Evan Carter
38. Sebastian Walcott
fc2112
Hungry Ojos
Interesting who they didn't include in that graphic.

So is no one else even the slightest bit concerned about Will Smith as our closer the rest of the way out? I have zero confidence in him, but maybe it's just me.

ETA: ok, prolly didn't include him because we didn't get him at the deadline, but my question remains.
Tksymm7
AG
I think this is about right for our guys. Walcott feels a little underrated overall by most outlets, and I think Langford is slightly ahead of Evan Carter.
Proposition Joe
I don't really think a 2 week sample size necessarily means the issue is "addressed", but it certainly bodes well early. I felt like even if the guys we got (Scherzer and Montgomery) pitched like legit #4's I'd be happy. With our offense a rotation of #3's and #4's is fine, especially if Eovaldi returns.

But 3 times through the rotation they've pitched like #1's and #2's.

I'm no more confident in Smith than I am any closer that doesn't have high strikeout stuff. Again, if you are in the bullpen it's because you don't have good enough stuff or secondary pitches. If you do, it's because you aren't consistent enough and your good numbers may simply be benefiting from SSS and exposure.

Remember, Shawn Tolleson saved 35 games for Texas in 2015. Yeah injuries played a role in his career, but it's still an example of how the nature of the "closer" can lead to a lot of guys that can put up gaudy numbers in a single season... Tough to do it long-term.
Carlo4
AG
Scherzer Montgomery Dunning and Eovaldi are a great playoff rotation if things continue to progress. Dunning has found a new gear since the All Star break.

Perez is throwing mad and simultaneously motivated. He will be great out of the bullpen.

Heaney is a mixed bag but you know we will need him and he will contribute.
PatriotAg02
AG
I just think Perez likes the non-pressure situations. He usually does well when he isn't thinking too much and just throwing. I think long-relief out of the pen is a good spot for him.
shack009
AG
You forget Jon Gray? But I could Gray's fastball/slider combo playing well out of the pen, if you wanted to use Dunning for more longevity.
Dwb22
AG
Dunning vs Gray for the 4th spot will get interesting down the stretch. Great problem to have, but there are compelling arguments for both of them.
Carlo4
AG
shack009 said:

You forget Jon Gray? But I could Gray's fastball/slider combo playing well out of the pen, if you wanted to use Dunning for more longevity.
forgot about him wow
DallasAg 94
My only concern in the BP is if you are looking for weaknesses.

I don't know that I'm greatly concerned:

Balt: FelBautista - 32 Svs, 1.57 ERA, 57.1 IP, 108 SO
Toro: JoRomano - 29 Svs, 2.72 ERA, 43.0 IP, 53 SO
Hous: RyPressly - 28 Svs, 2.92 ERA, 52.1 IP, 56 SO
Minn: JhoDuran - 22 Svs, 2.89 ERA, 46.2 IP, 63 SO
Texa: Will Smith - 22 Svs, 3.27 ERA, 44.0 IP, 44 SO
Tamp: Fairbanks - 15 Svs, 2.93 ERA, 27.2 IP, 34 SO

Smith has given up some Runs. The must face 3 batters is the concern with any RP that can't SO hitters. The key is blow out other teams and not worry about Saves. amirite?!

Scherzer: 6.2 IP/GS
Eovaldi: 6.1 IP/GS
Montgomery: 6.0 IP/GS
Dunning: 6.0 IP/GS
Gray: 5.2 IP/GS
Heaney: 5.0 IP/GS

You are looking at a Rotation that will likely be at or around 6.0 IP/GS and consistent enough that we'll be in games.
DallasAg 94
Carlo4 said:

Scherzer Montgomery Dunning and Eovaldi are a great playoff rotation if things continue to progress. Dunning has found a new gear since the All Star break.

Perez is throwing mad and simultaneously motivated. He will be great out of the bullpen.

I'm not sure Perez makes the Playoff roster.

RH SP: Scherzer, Eovaldi, Dunning/Gray
LH SP: Montgomery, Heaney

RH RP: Stratton, Leclerc, Sborz
LH RP: Burke, Chapman, Smith

You have Anderson (RHP) and Perez (LHP) OR a position player like JP Martinez?!

I have more doubts on the RH RP set than on the LH RP set and think Anderson would get the nod if we went P, but even that I wonder if Boch would go position player.

Playoff format:
3 - WC Round
5 (2-2-1) LDS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1)
7 (2-3-2) LCS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3)
7 (2-3-2) WS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3)

At most, you have a #4 SP that at most gets 3 GS... 1 in each series. IF you end up going lots of innings, you could be in trouble, I suppose.

Matchups are the other thing. Perez (L) will NOT be in the lineup if we face TB.
fc2112
Reminder that tonight's game is the Free Game of the Day on MLB.tv
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

Carlo4 said:

I'm not sure Perez makes the Playoff roster.

RH SP: Scherzer, Eovaldi, Dunning/Gray
LH SP: Montgomery, Heaney

RH RP: Stratton, Leclerc, Sborz
LH RP: Burke, Chapman, Smith

You have Anderson (RHP) and Perez (LHP) OR a position player like JP Martinez?!

I have more doubts on the RH RP set than on the LH RP set and think Anderson would get the nod if we went P, but even that I wonder if Boch would go position player.

Playoff format:
3 - WC Round
5 (2-2-1) LDS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1)
7 (2-3-2) LCS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3)
7 (2-3-2) WS - (1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3)

At most, you have a #4 SP that at most gets 3 GS... 1 in each series. IF you end up going lots of innings, you could be in trouble, I suppose.

Matchups are the other thing. Perez (L) will NOT be in the lineup if we face TB.

Speaking of Anderson, what a freaking weapon he is! He would be pretty invaluable in the post season just to come in and induce a double play to get us out of a jam.
First Page Last Page
Page 453 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.