*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,375,825 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
The Brazos Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just imagining here how the space cowboy thread would implode if we ended up with Ohtani…
Grapesoda2525
Those Astro prognosticators in the other thread who said we would be down 1 or 2 games in the west or at worst tied by the time we roll into Houston need to keep their day jobs because they don't know jack **** about baseball.
Mr Gigem
AG
The Astros aren't getting Cease or Robert Jr. I'll put money on that. There other teams that could offer a better package to a team that has said they still want to compete next season.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Houston has used 8 SPs this season.

Valdez (29): 15GS, 2.27, 99.0 IP.
I'll give this one as a workhorse. His career 3.20 ERA may suggest drifting to his norm, which is a concern made about Rangers SP, but I'll give this one.

Brown (24): 15GS, 3.62, 87.0 IP
20.1 IP in MLB coming into this season. His IP will likely be an issue. 108 IP in college and A-, in 2019. Didn't pitch in 2020. Combined 100.1 IP in 2021. Combined 126.1 IP in 2022. Mid-July, look for rumblings of a dead arm... or him needing a break.

Javier (26): 15GS, 3.25, 83.0 IP
Break out season for him in 2022. We'll see how he continues. He started 2023 with a 2.97 ERA, but his June ERA of 4.19 should be sounding alarms to Astros fans.

France (28): 9GS, 3.54, 53.1 IP <- 1st MLB season at 28. A career with a mix of RP and SP. Never more than 114.0 IP ('21)

Bielak (27): 8GS, 4.36, 43.1 IP <- Demoted to minors. Mostly a RP
Garcia (26): 6GS, 4.00, 27.0 IP <- 60IL TJ

Urquidy (28): 6GS, 5.20, 27.2 IP <- 60IL. Shoulder issue
Blanco: 4GS, 4.70, 23.0 IP

McCullers (29): 60IL

Astros need SP to get through the season. When you consider the loss of Alvarez, et al... the Astros need lots of help and they'll have to decide what holes to fill.

Too Soon?!
DallasAg 94
Some comments about tonight's game.

Eovaldi pitched like a Championship pitcher.
The team played like a Championship team.

Putting some distance helps. Playing like we are is pretty exciting. Literally everyone else at the top of the AL lost tonight:

TB, L3
Balt 1GB, L2
Texas, 2GB, W5
Toronto, 5.5 GB, L1
Houston, 6.5 GB, L1
Boston, 8 GB, L1
NYY, 9GB, L3

We need to keep winning.
gigem1223
I'm not sure what's more delusional. The Astro fan that thinks a "90% healthy" Astro squad is "much better" than this Rangers team or the fact they believe they have the prospects/ players to trade for Cease and / or Roberts.
gigem1223
From Sandler:

MLB leaders in OPS Against (min. 30 IP)

1Josh Hader, .427
2Felix Bautista, .433
3AROLDIS CHAPMAN, .441
4WILL SMITH, .475
5Devin Williams, .493
fc2112
Ah, I remember 2013/2014 so well....

"Gee, we just have so many injuries...."

That is the first sign of your team getting old. Yes, after a couple of WS runs and big contracts for big producers, the downhill slide begins.

As was pointed out, laughable they think they're in the running for a TOTR pitcher. Frankly, I hope they try and burn that farm system all the way to the ground. Then they can be terrible for a decade again, like they were around 2010.
fc2112
Surfing stats this morning.

While we all know Garcia leads MLB in RBIs, Jonah Heim is 11th - IN MLB - IN RBIS at 60. This is a guy we thought would hold us over until Huff was ready. A guy who was an extra thrown in to the Elvis Andrus / Khris Davis trade.

He is earning $745,660 and we have him under control until the 2027 season.

Someone with more time than me should figure out $/RBI and I'm guessing Heim is wildly in the lead.
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

While we all know Garcia leads MLB in RBIs, Jonah Heim is 11th - IN MLB - IN RBIS at 60. This is a guy we thought would hold us over until Huff was ready. A guy who was an extra thrown in to the Elvis Andrus / Khris Davis trade.

Someone with more time than me should figure out $/RBI and I'm guessing Heim is wildly in the lead.
Huff and Foscue seem like no brainer trade chips.
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Heim wasn't an extra tho. To the JD or the rangers scouts at the time credit, they always liked heim and tried to acquire him several different times but the Elvis deal is when Oakland finally gave in.
TefIon Don
AG
Astro fans are carbon copies of baylor fans.
Carlo4
AG
ESPN thinks we have what it takes to land Ohtani.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: RHP Brock Porter, RHP Jack Leiter, UT Ezequiel Duran, 2B Justin Foscue, OF Yeison Morrobel

Roger Kint
AG
Seems like a lot to give up unless you can sign him after the season.
rbtexan
S
Hard pass for me on that trade
Jimbo Franchione
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I'd hope we would not giving up Duran, Porter, AND Leiter for a rental.
Water Boy
AG
Been seeing a lot of Ohtani talk in here. My main question is even if we did get him and signed him to a long term deal how would we afford him? About a week ago I asked a few questions about the luxury tax and if we could afford to go over it and the basic answer I got from everyone was no or it would not be smart to do that yet all I see is Ohtani talk every day in here? Do we magically free up a massive amount of cash next season or are we suddenly able to go way beyond the luxury tax cap?
KT 90
AG
Water Boy said:

Been seeing a lot of Ohtani talk in here. My main question is even if we did get him and signed him to a long term deal how would we afford him? About a week ago I asked a few questions about the luxury tax and if we could afford to go over it and the basic answer I got from everyone was no or it would not be smart to do that yet all I see is Ohtani talk every day in here? Do we magically free up a massive amount of cash next season or are we suddenly able to go way beyond the luxury tax cap?

I think most Ranger fans know he is going to sign with a West cost/East cost team (likely the Dodgers). So looking at him as a rental only.
Tksymm7
AG
I am likely out on giving up Duran AND Porter, although that trade isn't far off. Porter is the guy I think you would really like to hold on to because he not only looks like he could be a pretty good SP, but he and Owen White are really the only two minor league pitchers pitching at a half decent clip right now (or at least it feels like that). Maybe if you threw in Rocker or Roby in place of Porter I could do it. I'd like to hold on to Duran as well, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't legitimately concerned about his strikeout numbers and swing and miss. Not saying you trade him on that alone, but I think it's a real problem that isn't going away in the near future and worth keeping an eye on. I also don't see him being much other than a DH while he's here.

I really like Morrobel too, but our OF got very crowded when we signed Wyatt Langford.
fc2112
Carlo4 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: RHP Brock Porter, RHP Jack Leiter, UT Ezequiel Duran, 2B Justin Foscue, OF Yeison Morrobel

Won't take all that. I bet Duran and Foscue would be good enough.
aggietony2010
AG
fc2112 said:

Carlo4 said:

Won't take all that. I bet Duran and Foscue would be good enough.

Looking at things like the Darvish trade, it sure seems like a lot, but on the flip side, I bet someone will pay at least that much.
Tksymm7
AG
Jomboy was talking about recent trades that are a comp, and he could really only think of the Scherzer/Turner trade to the Dodgers a few years ago in terms of blockbuster or the quality of players involved. The Nationals got 2/3 of the Dodgers best prospects in terms of Gray and Ruiz, who I believe were both top 50 prospects (probably even higher level prospects than that tbh) and then a few lower level guys. The kicker here is that Turner went with Scherzer AND had 1.5 years of control left. So how much extra did getting Turner cost on top of Scherzer?
Water Boy
AG
I say no to the Ohtani rental. Unless we just magically get lucky and only have to give up a bag of peanuts like the trastros did for yordan. Ohtani right now is red hot. He's human and is due for a slump at any moment. Would hate to give up valuable prospects for him to come in here not perform like he has been and us getting bounced in the playoffs quickly. If degrom was healthy I would say yes since I don't think the rangers have ever had a better rotation than 1) degrom 2) Ohtani 3) Eovaldi. Man if we couldn't win it all with that rotation and with Ohtani in the lineup then maybe we never will.
Grapesoda2525
Water Boy said:

I say no to the Ohtani rental. Unless we just magically get lucky and only have to give up a bag of peanuts like the trastros did for yordan. Ohtani right now is red hot. He's human and is due for a slump at any moment. Would hate to give up valuable prospects for him to come in here not perform like he has been and us getting bounced in the playoffs quickly. If degrom was healthy I would say yes since I don't think the rangers have ever had a better rotation than 1) degrom 2) Ohtani 3) Eovaldi. Man if we couldn't win it all with that rotation and with Ohtani in the lineup then maybe we never will.
That's a great point. I never thought of that, but I agree with you that I'd be more on board with the Ohtani deal if Degrom was currently doing his thing. I guess we can all look forward to seeing Degrom in the second half of next year tho.
Tksymm7
AG
We hope. I am going to be in the I believe it when I see it camp with deGrom, especially when it comes to his level of pitching before the injury.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Im gonna be interested to see where our revenue #s are for this year.

We were #11 last year (based on some random internet searches)

House has been full this year
Bally's is still paying ....even if they default I think we will be okay doing what the Padres are doing

Future looks bright

Mr Gigem
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Bally's is still paying ....even if they default I think we will be okay doing what the Padres are doing

Future looks bright

We are averaging 30k fans per game this year vs about 24k last year. That is significant
Tksymm7
AG
Mr Gigem said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Future looks bright

We are averaging 30k fans per game this year vs about 24k last year. That is significant
I know we're beating a dead horse with this, but could you imagine what the end of the season would look like with Ohtani in the building every night?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Those $500 dollar lower level seats will be filled

Go online and try to buy a Dodger ticket for this weekend!
TX_Aggie37
AG
Carlo4 said:

I would hate that so much.
_lefraud_
AG
Ohtani isn't some guy on a heater. He's the greatest ball player the game has ever had. His performance at the WBC only solidified that Ohtani is worth it.

And prospects are just that, prospects. They should be seen as assets at this point, and nothing more. Jurickson Profar was the top prospect at one time, and the Rangers got essentially nothing for him in terms of a trade or production.
South Platte
Trade or no trade, I'm just happy that our boys got things settled out over the all star break. 5-0 is simply incredible. We got into a phase of only scoring via the home run ball the last month prior to the break. We're still doing it a little, but we're scoring in other ways too. Hopefully Semien is back to normal now.

Maybe one of you knows more, but giving Sborz a short rest on the DL seems like a great move. Hope he comes back with his good stuff again.
TexAg1822
AG
Alex Speas is getting called up
Grapesoda2525
TX_Aggie37 said:

Carlo4 said:

I would hate that so much.
I love how when the Rangers are buyers, the National media ask for all of our best prospects, yet when we are sellers, they are like...."You will take Willie Calhoun and YOU WILL LIKE IT".

TexAg1822
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 301 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.