*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,832 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Water Boy said:

Yordan needs to fire his agent. Dude is at least worth 40 million a year for what he brings to that team. He has put the team on his back for most the season. Not sure why he agreed to the contract he did.
It's pretty obvious isn't it?

Guy is a hell of a hitter. Probably better than any hitter on our team except for maybe Seager, but he's probably not too bright or intelligent. He should be able to know his worth and what he can get. Lebron James or Seager for that matter make sure to maximize how much they earn when they get the opportunity and Yordan willingly took way less.

This isn't a Tom Brady situation either where the dude just really wants to win. The mlb salary cap isn't nearly as restrictive or difficult to maneuver around as the NFL. Brady's ex wife made more money then he did, that's another reason why he was able to do it.
Grapesoda2525

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Seems like they think we are cheating

Quote:

Also...is this legit? I hate to be that guy, but when a team is performing at "never been done before" status, its a fair question to ask. We were doing that in '17 when we had the fewest strikeouts and most home runs.

Man, that is good stuff.
Water Boy
AG
People forget we lost like every game by 1 run last season. We were always very close to being a great team.
fc2112
81% called strike accuracy from Andy Fletcher yesterday. He's a one man walking advertisement for robots.

94chem
Water Boy said:

People forget we lost like every game by 1 run last season. We were always very close to being a great team.

Yep. The fact that almost nobody even picked Texas as a wild card team shows how little attention was being paid. This was a 90 win team on paper before the season began. Kind of reminds me of the first WS team. You could tell the year before that they were close, but nobody noticed.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
The Rangers just need to keep winning.

If they and Tampa can make it seem inevitable by the ASB, it will ensure more teams decide to sell, which will give us some bargains.

AL as a Starter:
TB: 3.08 ERA
Texas: 3.20
Houston: 3.20
Minn: 3.37
Tor: 3.85
---
NYY: 4.32

Rs/Game:
Texas: 6.48
TB: 5.82
Houston: 4.50
Minn: 4.45
Tor: 4.67
NYY: 4.70

Rotation ERA Rank:
TB: 1,
Texas: 5, 6, 21, 27
Houston: 4, 11, 16
Minn: 3, 9, 29
NYY: 10, 18

I think when you look at what teams likely need... I think LAAA, NYY, Bos, and Minn are on the bubble and I'd like to see their FOs decide to not become buyers.
fc2112
Have you seen that closer for Minnesota who throws like 104 mph? If they shop that dude - damn.
Dwb22
AG
Hernandez optioned, Spencer Howard is back. Howard has looked good so far this year in RR
fc2112
Just saw this. Not surprised at all.
investorAg83
AG
fc2112 said:

Have you seen that closer for Minnesota who throws like 104 mph? If they shop that dude - damn.

I seriously doubt they'd shop him and would want a kings ransom. Minus scouring the minor leagues for guys that could grow into that (seeing Clase do what he's doing will always piss me off), the 2 guys I'd kick the tires on are Daniel Bard and Alexis Diaz. Both have fantastic stuff and have shown success but they're with teams that have no shot of making the playoffs and would love to bolster a rebuild with some prospects.
Tksymm7
AG
Bard is the guy I am all in on, personally. Diaz is a stud, but everyone knows that and he's having a BANGER season, so he's going to cost a ton. Bard has been a really good reliever for a few years in Colorado, but he's buried in Colorado and kinda forgotten.
fc2112
Haha Adam Wainwright is still pitching. Last year of a $17.5 MM contract I'm sure the Cards are looking forward to dropping.
fc2112
Tonight's nightmare for Wainwright.

Grapesoda2525
Glad to see leody back in there after the play at the end of the game the other day.
Grapesoda2525
Games still on Bally?

I guess the next date to watch is June 15.
Carlo4
AG
fc2112 said:

vette
AG
fc2112 said:

Garcia with the lowest average... that's a nightmare lineup, right there.
94chem
Water Boy said:

Also, one run games are the baseball equivalent of 3rd down conversions. Everyone focuses on the percentage instead of on the number. One run games are a 50/50 proposition. Play 50 of them, you'll lose 25. But if you pummel people, you may only play 30 of them and lose 15. If you go 13-7 in the other 20 games, you're now 28-22. The best way to get good in close games is to play fewer of them. The second best way is to shore up the pen.

Same analogy for football. Would you rather be 16/25 on 3rd down conversions, or 4/8? The 64% conversion rate looks pretty good until you realize that 9 drives ended. The best way to convert 3rd downs is to stay out of them.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

Haha Adam Wainwright is still pitching. Last year of a $17.5 MM contract I'm sure the Cards are looking forward to dropping.
My boss lives in St. Louis and he has been calling the demise of Wainwright for over 7 years.
Dwb22
AG
deGrom to 60 day IL. Not a huge shock but disappointing for sure. Just need him healthy for the second half
Proposition Joe
94chem said:

Water Boy said:

Also, one run games are the baseball equivalent of 3rd down conversions. Everyone focuses on the percentage instead of on the number. One run games are a 50/50 proposition.

Common misconception.

While Rangers pythag last year showed we should have been a much better team (~9 wins better), and we were certainly way under a normal 1-run game win distribution typically is, that doesn't mean that 1-run games are a coin-flip.

Good teams win more 1 run games, bad teams lose more. There are anomalies, but it's not as if we kept coming up with the wrong side of a coin flip causing us to go from a mediocre team to a bad one.
Water Boy
AG
Honestly if we keep playing like this we should just let him rest until the last month of the season. Let him get a few starts before the playoffs and call it a day.
shack009
AG
Dwb22 said:

deGrom to 60 day IL. Not a huge shock but disappointing for sure. Just need him healthy for the second half

Not surprising since Bochy said he wasn't close to returning yet. He can be activated on June 28th.
Carlo4
AG
Dwb22 said:

Source? None of this is on the internet when I did a google search. Just wanted to read about it. Thanks!
Grapesoda2525
Dwb22 said:

Not a big deal with the way this team is playing. Just let him come back after the all star break.
shack009
AG
Carlo4 said:

Dwb22 said:

Source? None of this is on the internet when I did a google search. Just wanted to read about it. Thanks!

Grapesoda2525
Hearing Howard and funk houser have looked good in the minors
MrCoachEricTaylor
Hernandez and DeGrom make two spots, right? I wonder what the second move would be?
KT 90
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Hernandez and DeGrom make two spots, right? I wonder what the second move would be?

deGrom was already on the injured list.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Ohh yeah, that's right.. kinda confusing how EG worded his tweet, but I think I've seen somewhere else too that was trying to say the DG move was for Howard.
94chem
Not at all the point I was trying to make. If you have a positive run differential, of course you should win more than 50% of one run games.
94chem,
Tksymm7
AG
Pretty much a worst case scenario start for deGrom with the Rangers (outside of TJ). Incredibly disappointing too. I don't know what he needs to do, but this can't happen every single year. He's got to find a way to stay healthy and get 20-25 starts a year.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Degrom was already expected to come back at the end of June IIRC. This is just a retroactive move to open up a 40 man spot. Insiders are saying this isn't a setback or anything like that.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Also, friendly reminder to the armpit fans that are crying about our schedule. The Rangers have played the 4th hardest schedule so far, while the trashtros' schedule ranks 18th.

That's all for now. **** the Cards, let's go Rangers!

Edit: ooof, read it completely wrong, flame away lol
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.