*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,383,816 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's going on paternity leave for a few days, then they are evaluating him and the situation when he gets back. I personally don't have great feeling about this whole situation but that's just me.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm almost of the mind to just say screw it and shut him down until the All Star Break.
Job314
AG
I say bring him back for 2 good starts before all star break then he gets long rest between starts due to the break. He seems like the type that needs to be treated like minor leaguer or college starter. Just one day per week instead of every 5th day.
rbtexan
S
I believe what is going on is there is a debate/conversation about whether or not to send him on a rehab assignment. DeGrom doesn't want to, but that will mean a piggyback deal until he can get his pitch count up. I suspect the Rangers would prefer Dunning to continue to start & let degrom do his rehab at AAA. If Dunning piggybacks you effectively lose one of your bullpen arms.
Jimbo Franchione
shack009
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I'm almost of the mind to just say screw it and shut him down until the All Star Break.

I would agree. We are playing with house money right now, so be cautious. With Dunning pitching so well, there is no need to hurry.

Who would he even replace in the rotation right now? Perez? Don't think you would do that, and it would be silly to move Dunning to the pen with the way he has been pitching.
fc2112
Elier Hernandez is crushing it in Round Rock

fc2112
Watching Chris Martin pitch the 8th inning for the Red Sox as their set up man. Would love to have gotten him back.

As a reminder, we traded him for Kolby Allard (who we traded for Odorizzi) and he's been released three times since then. Both Odorizzi and Allard will miss all of 2023.
Water Boy
AG
That's why I liked the idea of degrom as a closer. Yes I know that you do not pay a closer that kind of money but if my two options were 15 starts a year and available every night to close I'm going with closing. That ls just me. And again I know that's not how it works but rather him available than not.
rbtexan
S
Moot point because deGrom would absolutely never agree to it.

When you're a former ROTY and a 2 time Cy Young Award winner you have that kind of leverage.
Jimbo Franchione
aggietony2010
AG
Managed to escape (mostly) playing with fire in the 1st. Whew.
Mr Gigem
AG
Welcome to the bigs Woo
beagle2009
AG
I get the thought process of sitting DeGrom until the AS break to ensure he's as healthy as possible, but if he's ready sooner then I don't see how you keep him out of the rotation. The Astros certainly do not look like they will be slipping any time soon and we need every advantage possible.
Mr Gigem
AG
And Lowe still can't hit a fastball. Let alone one right down the middle
Tksymm7
AG
This is the worst against fastballs I think I've ever seen him. He's never been great against them, but he's almost an auto out right now with fastballs middle-up in the zone.
beagle2009
AG
Heim time!!
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

And Lowe still can't hit a fastball. Let alone one right down the middle
Lowe is not the long term answer at first base. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but your first baseman needs to really hit for power. He's the 15th ranked first baseman in OPS among MLB qualifiers.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree with this statement. He needs to find the power swing playing his position and where he hits in the lineup.
fc2112
Can position players pitch in the 3rd?
ryanhnc10
AG
Semien and Seager
fc2112
Lowe cannot get turned around on fast balls down the middle. Keeps fouling off heaters to left.

EDIT- then strokes a single to left. FML
KT 90
AG
Maybe the bullpen thing will work out for Howard?

Mr Gigem
AG
Might need the bullpen early today. Heaney not too accurate early on. Doesn't help he's getting squeezed on some pitches

Is there any accountability for bad umpiring? Don't think I've ever heard of any being suspended or fined
Mr Gigem
AG
Already in the Seattle bullpen
Water Boy
AG
Since it's been established on here that degrom will never be a closer I think the best thought process is to just assume he is not playing and any starts we get from him is just an awesome bonus!
rbtexan
S
If we get 15-25 starts a year from deGrom it's money well spent IMO.
Jimbo Franchione
Water Boy
AG
25 would be very good and 20 and I'm still pretty happy.
Tksymm7
AG
Water Boy said:

Since it's been established on here that degrom will never be a closer I think the best thought process is to just assume he is not playing and any starts we get from him is just an awesome bonus!
This is so sad, but I am right there with you unfortunately. As rbtexan said, I'd take 20 starts a year from him, yesterday.
Water Boy
AG
Well fortunately our starting pitching has been awesome so far so not having degrom out there hasn't hurt us much. Could be much worse. Pretty impressive what we have been able to do without the best pitcher in baseball out there.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
At this point the money is a sunk cost. I wonder at some point if they start doing the Clemons thing and starting him up later in the year.
fc2112
They want to make sure he's 100% healthy, because deGrom is the guy you really want starting Game 1 of your playoff series.
Mr Gigem
AG
Come on ump!!!
Mr Gigem
AG
Someone is getting tossed this game
Mr Gigem
AG
That was…amazing
ryanhnc10
AG
Weirdest play ever. I'll take it
aggietony2010
AG
That was the stupidest out #3. I'll take it.
First Page Last Page
Page 140 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.