*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,383,970 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per the judge's ruling yesterday, DSG is in default right now. Rangers seem free to demand reclaiming rights at any time if DSG doesn't pay up.

So I take it as ominous they have said Bally will broadcast "this weekend". Stay tuned this weekend to see if the Rangers pull the plug for Monday's game against STL. If they do, I will drop Direct TV Stream same day.

I already have MTL.tv through my season ticket package with the Rangers, so I'd be A-OK with that. I doubt the Rangers will go with free TV - they need the money DSG was supposed to pay. I think they likely go with MLB.tv and charge some prorated fee for the rest of the season like the Padres did ($75).
Water Boy
AG
Yup my prediction was right. you enter into a contract and you can't hold up your side then it's your problem. Unless some crazy unforeseeable even not mentioned in the contract happens then maybe.
AggieEP
Mlb.tv and totally getting rid of blackouts needs to be the future.

Teams likely aren't going to get these lucrative payouts going forward, but it will guarantee fans access to what they want which is watching baseball.

If MLB could get 10 million subscribers, at 150 dollars each that is 1.5 billion dollars to distribute. That comes out to 50 million per team. Then you can add in whatever ad revenue you can make off the games and distribute that as well. Seems likely that you could guarantee teams something in the neighborhood of 60 million each. Less than the idiotic 111 million Bally agreed to pay the Rangers annually for sure, but the rights are never going to net that kind of money again.

I would for sure pay 150 dollars a year to guarantee I could see every Rangers game plus all other games.

(For the sake of data, MLB.tv has around 3.5 million subscribers now, tripling that number by allowing you to get in market games seems like a conservative estimate)
ClassOf17
Garver activated. Bubba sent down.
rbtexan
S
Probably for the best, he needs ABs.
Jimbo Franchione
AggieEP
rbtexan said:

Probably for the best, he needs ABs.

Better get the ABs fast before Garver goes back on the IL again
fc2112
BAD LUCK ALERT - JONAH CUT HIS HAIR

TexAg1822
AG
Anyone see why Evan Carter was placed on the Development List?
Tksymm7
AG
He's been battling a wrist injury for over a month. His play has shown it as well, so they are going to rest him for at least two weeks, maybe more.
Water Boy
AG
In Tampa right now and was looking at the rays schedule and I'm leaving 2 days before the rangers come in town. Just missed it!
fc2112
Laz Diaz and his massive strike zone are behind the plate tonight.
Mr Gigem
AG
Why on earth do people still test Garcia???
AgBQ-00
AG
Nailed two baserunners
AgBQ-00
AG
Lowe with a good at bat and rbi
AgBQ-00
AG
Smashed ball turns into a dp. That was a heck of a play
Mr Gigem
AG
Gray out after 82 pitches?
aggietony2010
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Gray out after 82 pitches?

Yeah, puzzling decision. I hope it works out.
TexAg1822
AG
Appreciate it. Always view a trip to the DL as a negative so hopefully he can get healthy soon and get back on track. Was really optimistic about him this year
beagle2009
AG
Seager. Clutch.
Mr Gigem
AG
What's going on with Lowe vs fastballs??
AgBQ-00
AG
Hello win column!!
rbtexan
S
TexAg1822 said:

Appreciate it. Always view a trip to the DL as a negative so hopefully he can get healthy soon and get back on track. Was really optimistic about him this year

The Rangers are using an abundance of caution now with player injuries. I didn't view it as a negative at all.
Jimbo Franchione
TexAg1822
AG
Good point. I tend to overreact to guys going on any type of "list". But I agree with you in this sense

Hopefully all goes well. He'll be a great player when he eventually comes up
fc2112
Development List is not necessarily injuries. Could be player needing a break, tweaking his delivery or swing - all sorts of things.

That being said - this seems to be some wrist soreness lingering from a HBP and the Rangers just want to rest him.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2023/6/2/23747366/evan-carter-deactivated-from-frisco-roster

Quote:

Carter, the Rangers' top prospect and a consensus top 20 prospect in MLB, put up a .343/.500/.543 slash line in April that had us talking about the possibility of him being in the majors before the All Star Break. He slashed just .236/.333/.281 in May, however, and after an 0 for 4 day yesterday, the Rangers are wanting to get him a bit of rest, per Kennedi Landry. Landry notes that Carter has had some issues since getting hit in the hand with a pitch in late April, and so he's getting a short break and is expected to return to the roster next week.
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Development List is not necessarily injuries. Could be player needing a break, tweaking his delivery or swing - all sorts of things.

That being said - this seems to be some wrist soreness lingering from a HBP and the Rangers just want to rest him.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2023/6/2/23747366/evan-carter-deactivated-from-frisco-roster

Quote:

Carter, the Rangers' top prospect and a consensus top 20 prospect in MLB, put up a .343/.500/.543 slash line in April that had us talking about the possibility of him being in the majors before the All Star Break. He slashed just .236/.333/.281 in May, however, and after an 0 for 4 day yesterday, the Rangers are wanting to get him a bit of rest, per Kennedi Landry. Landry notes that Carter has had some issues since getting hit in the hand with a pitch in late April, and so he's getting a short break and is expected to return to the roster next week.

Good thing the major league team and lineup is so good. Gives these kids time to develop without being called up too early.
thegoodolag15
AG
I do love see that even in a month where he struggled his OBP is 100 points higher than his average. Kid has a fantastic eye.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Good thing the major league team and lineup is so good. Gives these kids time to develop without being called up too early.
It is part of the benefit of signing/keeping FAs.

We could have gone into this season with the following:
Jon Gray (30): 24GS, 3.96
Dane Dunning (27): 29GS, 4.46
Odorizzi (32): 22GS, 4.40
Otto (26): 27 GS, 4.64
Ragans (24): 9GS, 4.95

Lots of pressure on Leiter (23), Rocker, Winn (23), White (23), and others to make the next step.

Then Dunning becomes your 6th man/long reliever... injuries/health happen... Now it is no longer inevitable that Leiter makes it in 2023. As Bochy has said recently, "If you can help the club win, you'll get a chance."

Same with the lineup. You've gotta earn your ABs.
rbtexan
S
Carter's injured wrist has probably affected his numbers quite a bit. Obv tried to play through it's butter a little breather is the smart thing to do.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Imagine:

C Heim
1B Lowe
2B Josh Smith
3B Jung
SS Duran
LF Bubba/Other
CF Taveras
RF Garcia
DH Brad Miller

Without adding Seager and Semien... I don't think Jung (25), Taveras (24) and Duran (24) are doing as well as they are.

The whole Offense is performing at a higher level because Semien and Seager are setting the tone from the 1/2. Even though Seager has been injured much of the season, he has elevated the lineup.
Grapesoda2525
Speaking of the lineup

Just got some of its edge / aggressiveness back.
awrollins
World Series caliber lineup right here
shack009
AG
Garver/Duran/Leody at 7-9 is a deeeeep lineup.
Grapesoda2525
Bochy wants a damn series win today.
fc2112
awrollins said:

World Series caliber lineup right here

In Game 7 of the 2011 World Series, the Rangers rolled out this.

1. Ian Kinsler (R) 2B
2. Elvis Andrus (R) SS
3. Josh Hamilton (L) CF
4. Michael Young (R) 1B
5. Adrian Beltre (R) 3B
6. Nelson Cruz (R) RF
7. Mike Napoli (R) C
8. David Murphy (L) LF
9. Matt Harrison (L) P

Not gonna lie - this line up in 2023 - I like it a lot.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Any updates on Degrom?
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.