*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,386,787 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dang Heim just missed it
Water Boy
AG
This team prefers quality. Sounds like a good formula in a playoff.
gigem1223
Welp. Another one lost by the frickin bull*****
PatriotAg02
AG
1 game lead
gigem1223
PatriotAg02 said:

1 game lead

It's May….. just keep winning series. That Astros lineup strikes fear in no one.
Water Boy
AG
Considering how absolutely horrendous our bullpen is while technically still in the process of rebuilding it's really impressive to be where we are right now. Front office is building for the future and once we get a pen that's at least average then this team will be pretty scary.
PatriotAg02
AG
Yep, long season
Grapesoda2525
PatriotAg02 said:

1 game lead
Gone 8-4 since May 10th and lost ground everytime we do lose a game. Totally ridiculous.

If the Astros win streak makes it thru Milwaukee, it's never going to end because they play Oakland next. I can't believe they never have a starter who has a bad game, a day where the hitters don't hit, or the bullpen blows up.

Some kind of tiger woods effect where the other team just chokes and isn't comfortable playing them. Pretty weird.

Our lead should probably be 3-4 games. I think we're just getting unlucky with opponents having bad days or off series against the Astros.
BCSWguru
Ortiz threw the game of his life. Pirates' bullpen is as bad as the Rangers.
Tksymm7
AG
Their pitching staff really doesn't have many off days. Just as an example, Framber is quite literally the most consistent pitcher in baseball. His streak of something like 25+ consecutive quality starts is a great example of their whole staff. Their lineup doesn't strike tons of fear, but they still have elite individuals like Yordan and KT, who have been very very clutch this year.
Grapesoda2525
Tksymm7 said:

Their pitching staff really doesn't have many off days. Just as an example, Framber is quite literally the most consistent pitcher in baseball. His streak of something like 25+ consecutive quality starts is a great example of their whole staff. Their lineup doesn't strike tons of fear, but they still have elite individuals like Yordan and KT, who have been very very clutch this year.
What the hell is wrong with the rest of the league? With the exception of tonight, the Astros aren't blowing people out. Why are teams electing to pitch to Yordan with the game on the line? I'd just walk him and pitch to Abreu / Tucker or whatever. I know tucker is really good too, but Yordan is just lethal.
gigem1223
Good news. Garver and Jankowski are starting their rehab assignments tomorrow. More depth on the way.
Tksymm7
AG
Yeah I don't get it either. It's asinine to pitch to him with runners on base and a free bag open on first.
fullback44
AG
[There is a warning in the OP. -Astros fan Staff]
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Yeah I don't get it either. It's asinine to pitch to him with runners on base and a free bag open on first.

The Cubs did just that last week and gave up a 2 run double to lose the game and get swept.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Grapesoda2525
We need a win tomorrow badly. 1-6 record against the NL central. Pretty ugly.
ChoppinDs40
AG
We keep losing dumb games and the Astros are on an 8 game win streak. Division lead will be gone by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, we're still a few years away from those Jack wagons.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Tksymm7 said:

The Cubs did just that last week and gave up a 2 run double to lose the game and get swept.
Yordan pretty much teabagged the Braves in Atlanta the whole series by pitching to him and getting rocked in late game situations as well.
South Platte
gigem1223 said:

PatriotAg02 said:

1 game lead

It's May….. just keep winning series. That Astros lineup strikes fear in no one.
Well let's not poo poo a lineup that has obliterated pitching for 6 seasons in a row. But who cares what the Astros are doing right now. We are still playing unbelievable baseball. This road trip may be an early gut check with a tough loss in game 1, Baltimore is playing very well, and Detroit has improved.
Adam87inSA
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

We keep losing dumb games and the Astros are on an 8 game win streak. Division lead will be gone by the end of the week.

The Rangers are a bullpen away from being a World Series team.

Perhaps DeGrom returning to the rotation will help.

We aren't years away.
Grapesoda2525
Adam87inSA said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

The Rangers are a bullpen away from being a World Series team.

Perhaps DeGrom returning to the rotation will help.

We aren't years away.
Months away.

As in when we acquire a reliever or 2 in late june / July who aren't ******ed.
gigem1223
ChoppinDs40 said:

How are we years away?

Bats - great
Rotation - good (great with a healthy deGrom)
Defense - good
Depth - great
Coaching- great
Bullpen - garbage

As it stands today, this team is a few bullpen arms away from being a title contender.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I think we're overstating some of those "greats".

Once we give up the lead, we're technically no longer in the playoffs. I get it… it's May but until we can consistently beat those asshats in Houston (record wise) we're at the mercy of wildcard.

Eovaldi is on a 2 year deal… Perez has struggled the last few starts. deGrom will never be healthy for lengthy parts of a season… and the bullpen needs multiple arms.

We do have depth at position players and appear to be pretty good but the pitching staff is still very suspect.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think we are "years" away either, but, I still have some questions about the starting rotation. DeGrom and Eovaldi are really the only ones with any significant playoff experience, and even though those two are a really good one/two, the rest are essentially unproven in a significant way.

To Choppin D's point, the health of deGrom is such a huge point of emphasis for this team. It's hard to think he'll be available for long stretches this season until it happens, let alone for the playoffs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Astros are hot, but no need to freak out. Rangers are 6-4 in their last 10 which is still a 97 win pace. They's also be 2nd out of 3 in the wild card race right now, about 3 games ahead of 4th/out of it.
gigem1223
South Platte said:

gigem1223 said:

PatriotAg02 said:

1 game lead

Well let's not poo poo a lineup that has obliterated pitching for 6 seasons in a row. But who cares what the Astros are doing right now. We are still playing unbelievable baseball. This road trip may be an early gut check with a tough loss in game 1, Baltimore is playing very well, and Detroit has improved.

Well this ain't even close to the same Astros line up as the last 6 years. There are several holes in that lineup currently. As another poster stated, Alvarez's greatness is carrying them. They also don't have near the rotation as they've had in the past. It's only a matter of time before guys like France and Bielak come back down to earth.
gigem1223
BRS is real. Listening to some of you guys, you'd think the rangers weren't still in first place.
gigem1223
ChoppinDs40 said:

I think we're overstating some of those "greats".

Once we give up the lead, we're technically no longer in the playoffs. I get it… it's May but until we can consistently beat those asshats in Houston (record wise) we're at the mercy of wildcard.

Eovaldi is on a 2 year deal… Perez has struggled the last few starts. deGrom will never be healthy for lengthy parts of a season… and the bullpen needs multiple arms.

We do have depth at position players and appear to be pretty good but the pitching staff is still very suspect.

Well technically we are still in first place and if we weren't we're a wild card so not sure where you're going here. Also did you miss Perez's last start and what does Eovaldi's contract have to do with anything?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Window with Eovaldi is short. This year and next.

We are still there, yes. I'm just snake bitten from the last 7 years of pure suckage.
Water Boy
AG
My expectations this season was to compete for a playoff spot. Right now the team is exceeding my expectations. Baseball is a tough sport to succeed in. We are only a bullpen away from being one of the best teams in the league but who's to say by the time we figure out the bullpen that the other parts of our game will be firing at the same rate they are now. It's so tough to get all components of the game competing well all at the same time. Taking it one season at a time and as far as the 2023 season goes we are far exceeding my expectations and I'm happy with how things are looking.
Eliminatus
AG
gigem1223 said:

BRS is real. Listening to some of you guys, you'd think the rangers weren't still in first place.

Yes. Yes it is real
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think it's BRS for me. Sure we've been bad the last seven+ years, but we were trying to be bad for a handful of those. It's more of the fact that we are in the same division as what has been the best team in baseball the last six years. Until someone knocks them off or they truly implode, they are the team to beat.
Water Boy
AG
Never seen so much trolling from a team we are ahead of and won a series against in their house. This thread may be unbearable if they do end up taking the lead.
KT 90
AG
Water Boy said:

Never seen so much trolling from a team we are ahead of and won a series against in their house. This thread may be unbearable if they do end up taking the lead.

that last one was a new userid just set up today; was trolling more boards than this one. Looks like they are already taking out the trash (post just disappeared) .
KT 90
AG
Water Boy said:

My expectations this season was to compete for a playoff spot. Right now the team is exceeding my expectations. Baseball is a tough sport to succeed in. We are only a bullpen away from being one of the best teams in the league but who's to say by the time we figure out the bullpen that the other parts of our game will be firing at the same rate they are now. It's so tough to get all components of the game competing well all at the same time. Taking it one season at a time and as far as the 2023 season goes we are far exceeding my expectations and I'm happy with how things are looking.

Good post. Sticking with my 85 win projection here as well, and hoping things continue to go better than expected.
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.