*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,387,736 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also don't know what all can be done until we get into at least mid June. The one position that would definitely help would be closer. I think we need more than just a closer (probably a closer and at least another high leverage pitcher or two), but if we were to get a really solid one, it would allow everyone to get pushed down in the pen. Will Smith would get pushed to the 7th and 8th, and that would keep Hernandez/LeClerc from having to pitch in any big moments. Then you are relying on Smith, Burke, Sborz to pitch bigger moments (still not great imo).
Water Boy
AG
Yeah it's not easy to do but should not be this difficult when other teams are not nearly as bad. We've been walked off 4 times now with many more blown saves. And we have 1 walkoff this season. Not an easy fix but this is ridiculous. I think it's fair to expect an average pen and not be sweating over a 2-3 run lead in the last 2 innings.
Water Boy
AG
Just did some research and the last time we had a bullpen in the upper half of ERA was a decade ago. For 10 years our guys have been in the bottom half of the league. Yeah it's great we have hot bats and great starting pitching but what's the point of the pen blows it in the end?
rbtexan
S
I suspect that very thing is a frequent subject of conversation with Bochy and upper management. Going forward I expect more emphasis to be placed on it, but for the time being we're pretty much stuck.

As I've said on here before, now that CY is the GM, I expect a lot of things to be done differently - but it takes time, and he can't do it all at once.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
Jake Diekman

I remember he and Dyson were great 8th and 9th inning guys for us one year, then the next year they were both dog ****
rbtexan
S
That's the guy I was thinking of.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
Same thing with Tolleson. He was considered one of the best closers in the game in 2015 (I think?) then the next year he became one of the worst BP pieces we had. He was gone shortly thereafter.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Jake Diekman

I remember he and Dyson were great 8th and 9th inning guys for us one year, then the next year they were both dog ****

Up until that god awful Toronto playoff series in 2015, it felt like a virtual lock handing the game off to Dyson/Diekman. I don't recall if it's correct, but it felt like Dyson was never really right again after Bautista hit that bomb.
KT 90
AG
The good news is that we have a good starting rotation, and SP's are harder to come by than bullpen arms. Rotation will be even better once deGrom returns. Give it a little time, they will make a move or two at some point to upgrade the bullpen.

Biggest help for the bullpen would be for one of (or both) LeClerc/Hernandez to get their mojo back. They were both coming off of arm surgery, and the velo seems to be there. Maybe it's more mental than anything at this point LeClerc has hardly pitched in the past 7 to 10 days it seems, so maybe they are working with him.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Mr Gigem said:

Jake Diekman

Up until that god awful Toronto playoff series in 2015, it felt like a virtual lock handing the game off to Dyson/Diekman. I don't recall if it's correct, but it felt like Dyson was never really right again after Bautista hit that bomb.
Correct. His sinker started staying in one plane. Was never the same after that. I think he had some success with the Giants after that but was short lived.

I can count on one hand the number of closers that have been consistent for a number of years.
Tksymm7
AG
I am still really confused with what we're doing with Cole Ragans. I know he's not some lock down, bona fide stud, but if he's going to pitch once every 7-10 days, why have in on the roster?
fc2112
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

oopf... that tweet alone just made the cost of any available closer go up....

KC is going to cash in when they move Chapman.
rbtexan
S
.....which is pretty much what I've been saying. If you want bullpen help you're going to have to pay through the nose to get it.
Jimbo Franchione
rocky_ag
AG
A lot of bullpens are struggling, but none quite like ours since the start of the Cincinnati series. Ranks in the following categories since then:

• ERA: 30th
  • WAR: 30th
  • FIP: 30th
  • xFIP: 30th

In the bottom 5-7 of virtually every other stat as well, including blown saves. This has been the worst bullpen in the league for the last month and it is not particularly close. That is saying something given Oakland's situation. Even their bullpen has been better.
Water Boy
AG
If only Atlanta was having that issue against us!
PatriotAg02
AG
We caught the Braves at a bad time. They were coming off getting swept and we were coming off a long road trip plus started a rookie call-up for game 1. Just set a bad tone. I think we'll regroup after the off day and pitch better.
Proposition Joe
If guys are able to consistently be great over large sample sizes, they become starters.

Bullpen arms are for the most part small-sample-size "matchup" pitchers, or excess arms from deep pitching systems.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Remember when we had Mike Adams / Joe Nathan as the Set Up Man Closer role? Those guys were fun
MrCoachEricTaylor
Diekman? Or Alex Claudio?
Carlo4
AG

New rules seem to make sense why so many blown saves are happening. I think MLB wanted this to happen more to make end of games more exciting after speeding up the pace. Seems to be working.

- Can't hold the runner much.
-Timer to throw, which their part is usually a slow game
-No shift. Can't play to tendencies as much.
-three batter minimum rule. Managers can better adjust on offensive end.
-runner on second to start extra innings from prior years adds fuel to it.

rbtexan
S
On a positive note...

Don't look now, but Jack Leiter may have turned a corner. He's been pitching much much better lately....last night he had a quality start (6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K). His record is now 2-2 and his ERA is down to 4.38
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Idk what change he's made, but it's allowing him to control the fastball more, so his strikeout numbers have gone back up and his walks have gone down.
rbtexan
S
What I read was that it was a change in attitude. I think he said something to the effect of he quit thinking about "developing" and started focusing on "competing/winning". I think it has led to him being more aggressive in the strike zone with all his pitches, in particular the fastball.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
That's what was written. Hopefully part of it was the Rangers telling Dad to back the **** off.
rbtexan
S
I've consistently heard that the biggest problem with Jack Leiter is Al Leiter.
Jimbo Franchione
bmac_aggie18
AG
That's kind of surprising, you'd think at this level they'd be independent. Shows the Kevin Murray's of the world are still out there
gigem1223
rbtexan said:

On a positive note...

Don't look now, but Jack Leiter may have turned a corner. He's been pitching much much better lately....last night he had a quality start (6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K). His record is now 2-2 and his ERA is down to 4.38

Had a shut out through 5 as well. Then got into a little trouble in the 6th. Definitely encouraging.
Grapesoda2525
Carlo4 said:

New rules seem to make sense why so many blown saves are happening. I think MLB wanted this to happen more to make end of games more exciting after speeding up the pace. Seems to be working.

- Can't hold the runner much.
-Timer to throw, which their part is usually a slow game
-No shift. Can't play to tendencies as much.
-three batter minimum rule. Managers can better adjust on offensive end.
-runner on second to start extra innings from prior years adds fuel to it.

The rule changes make for a much better watching experience so I'm ok with it. I still remember when the classic Yankees vs Red Sox grudge matches in the early 2000's with A rod, schilling, Pedro Martinez, and Derek jeter took 4-5 hours long on Espn because everyone would always play mind games with stepping out of the box, off the mound, or excessive throws to first.

The shift's definitely needed to go. That putting second baseman into right field crap was ridiculous.
AgsWin2011
AG
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I'm happy the shift was banned. More hits, more entertainment.

I'm also glad the national league has the DH as well. Nobody likes watching pitchers bat unless it's Bartolo Colon or Shohei Ohtani.
rbtexan
S
I like the rule changes. I was skeptical of some of them at first, but I think overall they have improved the flow and quality of the game, and the fan experience as well.
Jimbo Franchione
Water Boy
AG
I think the shift ban isn't that big of an impact. Teams now know how to do a legal shift that accomplishes almost the same thing. Plenty of times where our guys hit a perfect shot up the middle for a guy to be playing right at that spot.
Grapesoda2525
Water Boy said:

I think the shift ban isn't that big of an impact. Teams now know how to do a legal shift that accomplishes almost the same thing. Plenty of times where our guys hit a perfect shot up the middle for a guy to be playing right at that spot.
The 2nd baseman in right field **** can't be replicated tho unless you want to gamble and leave a big hole in deep right field.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly. I think the most defeating out as a fan was the ripped low liner to RF that ended up caught by a 2B essentially playing as a 4th OF. That has been taken away
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

Exactly. I think the most defeating out as a fan was the ripped low liner to RF that ended up caught by a 2B essentially playing as a 4th OF. That has been taken away
Made me yell " ****ing bull****" at the tv everytime an out was recorded that way. Unbelievably stoked that it's gone.
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.