*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,389,451 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Dwb22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luisangel is looking like a guy that'll be ready for the big leagues by end of next year. I really like him.

Are we assuming he'll be dealt either at the deadline or this offseason? I would be interested to see what Jung to 1st + Seager to 3rd or even just Seager to 1st would look like to make room for him. I'm sure eventually Seager will be a full time DH but it feels a little early in his career for that, and I'm sure he wouldn't like it either. Jung has been great at third so I wouldn't want to move him even though that's the most natural spot for Seager. Really interesting spot we're in.
rbtexan
S
this is from the MLB site, specifically the Rangers' top 30 prospects list, re: Luisangel Acuna ....

Quote:

Acuña attacks pitches with an explosive right-handed stroke and an aggressive approach. He'll draw his share of walks and doesn't strike out excessively, but he chases and swings and misses too frequently against non-fastballs and doesn't always make quality contact. If he can settle down a bit and drive the ball in the air on a more regular basis, he could be a .270 hitter with 20 or more homers per season.

Combining solid speed with savvy on the bases, Acuña has swiped 84 bags in 104 attempts during the past two seasons. Earlier in his career, he faced some questions about his ability to remain at shortstop, but he has shown that he has the solid range and arm to do so. Corey Seager's arrival in Texas in 2022 may mean an eventual move for Acuña, who has the tools and athleticism to play all over the diamond and would fit especially well at second base or in center field.
Oddly, I've heard some talk that he profiles as a super utility guy. Seems to me his ceiling would be higher than that, but I'm not a scout.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
Dwb22 said:

Luisangel is looking like a guy that'll be ready for the big leagues by end of next year. I really like him.

Are we assuming he'll be dealt either at the deadline or this offseason? I would be interested to see what Jung to 1st + Seager to 3rd or even just Seager to 1st would look like to make room for him. I'm sure eventually Seager will be a full time DH but it feels a little early in his career for that, and I'm sure he wouldn't like it either. Jung has been great at third so I wouldn't want to move him even though that's the most natural spot for Seager. Really interesting spot we're in.

Seager likely doesn't go for it but you could work on Seager at 1st, leave Duran/ Jung alone and Lowe becomes your DH.
hawk1689
AG
Seager is a better defender than Acuna.
Carlo4
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

If I could have more kids, I'd name the next one Jonah Heim. Boy or girl.
When we were playing the Angels, the TV crew said that under Jonah Heim's bio for random facts that he missed out on the chance to name his daughter Anna...

Tksymm7
AG
I think they are selling him a little short with "solid speed" and "solid" defensive play. He's not Bubba Thompson fast, but he has great speed and is a plus SS. He's probably our best pure defender in the infield above Single A outside of Ornelas. However, they are spot on with him as a hitter. He has huge swing and miss in his game against basically any breaking ball. I think he needs to calm that aspect of his game down before he makes it to the show.

That being said I think there's a 75% chance or more that he's traded for help in other areas. For starters, you can't pay Seager as much as we're paying him and shift him to another position less than two years after you acquired him. As average a defender as he is, I just don't see that as an option. I support the Jung to first movement as well, mainly because Lowe is poor, but also because he is a really thick dude who I think will morph into a first baseman as his career unfolds. But that won't happen either during his first year or two in the show, so we're logged jammed in the infield with no openings. Second, I think guys like Max Acosta, Sebastian Walcott and Danyer Cueva make Acuna much more expendable. They are no doubt earlier in their development, but we have time to let it play out, with those guys offering very similar upside.
Dwb22
AG
Good point re: lower-level prospects. They would fit the Seager timeline better anyways.

Another tricky point down the road: I wonder how long Heim will be at catcher. Definitely not there yet but assuming automatic strike zone gets implemented he quickly becomes a relatively average defender imo, and his height might make his aging a risk. 1B/DH would be the natural fit for him as well.

Regardless, it feels awesome to have to worry about logjams instead of a complete lack of options.
KT 90
AG
Maybe things are starting come around for him:

Tksymm7
AG
This is great to see. He's really working on commanding his fastball better and I think it's showing. He still misses high and arm side some, but he's also putting it low in the zone and getting swings and misses now. Just keep progressing.
Mr Gigem
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsFQmzBt7O6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Schall 02
AG
Carlo4 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

If I could have more kids, I'd name the next one Jonah Heim. Boy or girl.
When we were playing the Angels, the TV crew said that under Jonah Heim's bio for random facts that he missed out on the chance to name his daughter Anna...

This was posted on the jumbotron apparently.
dave94
AG
Good bit.
AgBQ-00
AG
Martin scuffling a bit this 1st inning
Mr Gigem
AG
Anybody ever tried out this 3D view in the MLB app? Pretty cool

gigem1223
Something is not right with Perez. His last two starts he's been absolute dog *****
gigem1223
Limiting the damage so far
AgBQ-00
AG
Need a base hit
AgBQ-00
AG
Strawberry blonde directly behind home has serious resting "b" face
gigem1223
Haven't seen that. Pretty neat
gigem1223
Why….
AgBQ-00
AG
That one was on Beasley. Marcus had already stopped and he tried to get him going again with the bobble not getting far away
gigem1223
Beasley just gifted Oakland a free out and possible big inning. Gonna need some big innings tonight from the looks of it.
WestTexasAg
AG
Man, that inning should have been so much better. Beasley F'd that up.
gigem1223
Helluva frame there by Jonah to get that 3rd strike call
Mr Gigem
AG
Sam Huff. Woof
gigem1223
Afraid Mr Huff is just a decent AAA player and nothing else. Really would like to see it click for him.
WestTexasAg
AG
Couple of thoughts:

Duran hits baseballs hard.....frequently!

Huff gives me Gallo vibes.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I was really high on Huff. Thought he had great potential. Not so much anymore. I think he'll be packaged at the trade deadline if we're still in it.
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Man…really hope this is just a bump in the road and him not returning back to the old Perez.
Dwb22
AG
Thought this would be a good start for Martin to shake things off. Hope he's ready for the Braves
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are hitting some balls hard
PatriotAg02
AG
Man
Tksymm7
AG
Martin needs to make some adjustments. He's too fastball heavy and teams are sitting on it. He needs to use a sharper breaking ball to keep people off his fastball imo.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Jonah Dirt!
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Both teams leaving a ton on base
First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.