*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,381,201 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright y'all have convinced me, gonna start my free trial for Fubo tonight and see how it goes.

Looks like they don't have a contract with Turner so no TNT, TBS, TruTV, Cartoon Network, or CNN (hooray!). Might have to jump subscriptions for March Madness but that's a future problem.
cmiller00
AG
You can get an MLB subscription that is audio only that isn't blacked out to listen. That's what use to listen on my computer while at work.
aggietony2010
AG
cmiller00 said:

You can get an MLB subscription that is audio only that isn't blacked out to listen. That's what use to listen on my computer while at work.

Free for T-Mobile customers too. It's useless for video because of the blackouts, but I love having the audio available.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
The dumb part of the mlb blackouts is that I'm in Southern Oregon but get blacked out for the Giants, Oakland, AND Seattle. Seattle is like 8 hours away from me.

Sucks to have 2 division teams blacked out.
ryanhnc10
AG
Yeah same, I live in Utah and for hockey I get blackouts for Vegas and Colorado which is frustrating
Legal Custodian
AG
Looking over the next 7 series, we have a good chance to rack up a decent W/L record. Even if we end up being considered a below average team, the schedule still looks pretty winnable.

We have:
3 games vs BAL - Betting odds to finish tied for last in AL East
6 games @/vs KC - Picked 5th in AL Central
3 games vs A's - Picked 5th in AL West
3 games @ Cubs - Picked 3rd in NL Central
3 games @ Reds - Picked 4th in NL Central
3 games @ Astros - Picked 1st in AL West

Outside of the Astros, that's not that tough of a schedule according to betting odds at least. Hoping we can continue this run and get a decent head start to the season in the win column.
Tksymm7
AG
Just keep winning series!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Looking over the next 7 series, we have a good chance to rack up a decent W/L record. Even if we end up being considered a below average team, the schedule still looks pretty winnable.

We have:

Outside of the Astros, that's not that tough of a schedule according to betting odds at least. Hoping we can continue this run and get a decent head start to the season in the win column.

I was looking through the upcoming schedule during lunch today and thinking we should win all of these series except the Houston series and that one is winnable given some luck.

That being said, I want to be cautious in my expectations for this season. We played a seriously short-handed Phillies offense this weekend with Harper and Hoskins being out. Also, Garver and Grossman were on fire offensively. They'll likely revert to the mean in the coming weeks. Hopefully not but the law of averages says they will. The bullpen and rotation looked good most of the time with a few rough innings here and there.

Again, I could see about 88 wins this season and contention for the playoffs. But it could go the other way fast if we have some injuries.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Tksymm7
AG
I agree with your assessment. The pitching will continue to get better and more comfortable with the pitch clock, but the bottom of the order still concerns me. Until they do it and do it consistently I'll likely remain luke warm on them at best.
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Legal Custodian said:

We have:

I was looking through the upcoming schedule during lunch today and thinking we should win all of these series except the Houston series and that one is winnable given some luck.

That being said, I want to be cautious in my expectations for this season. We played a seriously short-handed Phillies offense this weekend with Harper and Hoskins being out. Also, Garver and Grossman were on fire offensively. They'll likely revert to the mean in the coming weeks. Hopefully not but the law of averages says they will. The bullpen and rotation looked good most of the time with a few rough innings here and there.

Again, I could see about 88 wins this season and contention for the playoffs. But it could go the other way fast if we have some injuries.

That schedule does present an interesting opportunity, but I am sticking with my 85 win prediction for now. If we are still rolling along and healthy in mid-June to July, then we can re-evaluate.

But "IF" that schedule does help us to get off to a good start, it makes it more likely that management might be willing to take on an expiring contract/salary dump from somebody to help bolster the lineup and/or add to the bullpen. If we get off to a slow start, that probably doesn't happen.
Tksymm7
AG
Interesting that you think they would acquire a salary dump/expiring contract type of guy. I could see this at some spots, but I also believe that they want guys who will be here for the long haul, so they would acquire guys who are already under contract or someone who has some years left on their initial deal and are a known quantity.
vette
AG
Why is our thread the only one with a staff warning on the title?
gigem1223
vette said:

Because Astro ******rs can't control themselves. The Rangers have the slightest bit of success and their heads explode. They already obsessed enough about the Rangers when we were in the cellar. Can't imagine how ugly it gets if we stay competitive for the division.
Proposition Joe
Can't win a division in April/May, but you can lose it.
AgsWin2011
AG
gigem1223 said:

vette said:

Because Astro ******rs can't control themselves. The Rangers have the slightest bit of success and their heads explode. They already obsessed enough about the Rangers when we were in the cellar. Can't imagine how ugly it gets if we stay competitive for the division.

And the funny part is, they say Rangers fans act like t-sips.
twilly
AG
Wouldn't the Bally bankruptcy affect the Rangers taking on additional salary knowing there might be a potential/likely revenue shortfall from Bally?

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
KT 90
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Interesting that you think they would acquire a salary dump/expiring contract type of guy. I could see this at some spots, but I also believe that they want guys who will be here for the long haul, so they would acquire guys who are already under contract or someone who has some years left on their initial deal and are a known quantity.

That's just one possibility. The other is to package up some prospects and bring in somebody under contract/control for 3 to 4 years or so. It would be good to have both options available to Chris Young, so that he can survey the market and determine the best overall deal.

Just saying if we get off to a good start and are winning, management might be more willing to take on additional salary. Otherwise, they might push Young to only make trades for younger, controlable players already under contract.

KT 90
AG
twilly said:

Wouldn't the Bally bankruptcy affect the Rangers taking on additional salary knowing there might be a potential/likely revenue shortfall from Bally?

It could. MLB did put out some vague messages a few weeks back with the RSN started really bubbling up, basically saying they (MLB) could step in if need be (basically if things blow up and the RSN just pull the plug or something, and don't air the games??). But no telling what that really meant. Is MLB going to step in and get the games aired? are the going to step in and pickup and financial shortfall the teams suffer during the current season due to RSN collapse?

Nobody really knows. HOpefully whatever the next key date is in the proceedings gets here soon, so everyone can just move on. It's definitely a mess with the RSN stuff seemingly in limbo.

AgBQ-00
AG
Ready to get this game started
fc2112
Gray was probably our best starter in SP. Starts off embarrassing Mullins.
AgBQ-00
AG
Good start
Mr Gigem
AG
First inning took just 13 minutes. Wow
Tksymm7
AG
Rough start on the offensive side
fc2112
Wow, Gray fielded his position well there.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yikes. That looked like it hurt.
AgBQ-00
AG
Our pitcher gets hit it goes for a double. This pitcher gets hit it goes for an out. Cue Ron Washington
Tksymm7
AG
Horrendous at bat by Miller
fc2112
Tksymm7 said:

Horrendous at bat by Miller
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I didn't think Garcia was gonna get there. Hell of a play.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Yeah that was a heck of a play, thought for sure it was a gapper
AgBQ-00
AG
Oh man that's gonna hurt
ryanhnc10
AG
Broken jaw?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Jesus. That looked really flush.
Tksymm7
AG
It's nice to see him walk that off, but I'd be shocked if he didn't have some sort of fracture. That was flush.
Tksymm7
AG
Mateo can really pick it at short
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.