*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,079,582 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
alvtimes said:

Probably not the right spot for this but here goes…..
What the heck happened with Jon Daniels and actually having a competitive roster? I know he was heavily criticized for crappy rosters but Chris Young comes in and ownership is willing to spend again. I cant believe Daniels had ownership blessing to spend but he just didnt.

IMO they lost faith in his decision making
aggietony2010
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Random point, but how dumb is it that there was 1 stupid game on a main channel today? MLB should treat first weekend like March madness where you can hop around and view all these games before they lock everything down. Seems totally archaic to me

Literally everything about the MLB television policy is archaic.

The MLB is on a mission to speed up games for the sake of growing the game, while ignoring the low hanging fruit. Imagine if they got rid of blackouts, encouraged social media sharing of exciting clips instead of copyright striking them, and building functionality into their app for the Zoomer generation attention span. I'm talking serve a notification that a critical at bat is coming up, click to watch it live with no blackouts, and then clip it into your TikTok or whatever the flavor of the month is.

But nah, let's do a pitch clock and make it nearly impossible for fans to watch their local team without a cable subscription in the era of cord cutting.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

ryanhnc10 said:

Random point, but how dumb is it that there was 1 stupid game on a main channel today? MLB should treat first weekend like March madness where you can hop around and view all these games before they lock everything down. Seems totally archaic to me

Literally everything about the MLB television policy is archaic.

The MLB is on a mission to speed up games for the sake of growing the game, while ignoring the low hanging fruit. Imagine if they got rid of blackouts, encouraged social media sharing of exciting clips instead of copyright striking them, and building functionality into their app for the Zoomer generation attention span. I'm talking serve a notification that a critical at bat is coming up, click to watch it live with no blackouts, and then clip it into your TikTok or whatever the flavor of the month is.

But nah, let's do a pitch clock and make it nearly impossible for fans to watch their local team without a cable subscription in the era of cord cutting.

And then let's have the commissioner go spend a half inning annoying fans of every team patting himself on the back during games.
ryanhnc10
AG
And the one game we get they turn into an interview fest. Multiple booth guests, both coaches, players - show the game! They literally interviewed Bregman while he was playing defense. WTF. ESPN also decided they needed another ahole to employ so they added Roger Clemens to their broadcast. Insert Barkley Turrible gif
DallasAg 94
alvtimes said:

Probably not the right spot for this but here goes…..
What the heck happened with Jon Daniels and actually having a competitive roster? I know he was heavily criticized for crappy rosters but Chris Young comes in and ownership is willing to spend again. I cant believe Daniels had ownership blessing to spend but he just didnt.
IMO, there is a lot of that which I find conflicting. At the end, I think it was just the law of averages against him and he ran out of juice.

Daniels always claimed the team was willing to spend and it was his choice to rein in the spending.

He took a Jimmy Johnson approach to talent. Every player in the system had a value and building up... collecting talent was key.

After the 2 WS losses, he seemed very jaded. He always seemed like spending money was his money, and I appreciated that. He also got too clever and thought he'd find that "Money Ball" angle ahead of others.

He toyed with several different gimmick. Not sure if he was too obsessed with analytics, or what.

He went heavy on pitching in the draft. He tried to delay SP from throwing in order to build their core strength. He felt that would help prevent TJ. That didn't work.

He felt burned by signing free agent SP. He once said he'd rather spend $10M/yr for 3 SP than $30M on 1 SP. He explained that almost every SP would end up having lost seasons. TJ, or some injury. He felt if you signed someone like Darvish to a 4yr/$30M deal and he had to have TJ, you lost $30M in payroll. Even at $10M... you'd get *some* production.

He also liked signing retreads (SP). He figured he could sign 3 $10M retread SPs and only 1 needed to land. Whether it was Colby Lewis in 2010 or Tyson Ross. He became very gun-shy about long-term contracts (Prince Fielder).

He toyed with the idea of a 6-Man rotation and an Opener.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Mr Gigem said:

Back in the cellar where they belong!
fc2112
Was going to post here but got caught up in festivities and forgot about y'all.

Tidbits from yesterday.

• Seriously Rangers, more port-a-potties were needed for the tailgaters on Opening Day. Nature seems to - ahhhhh - find a way if you don't.
  • Interesting to close the roof DURING play. I thought it only was supposed to be done between innings.
  • What happened in the 2nd inning (I think) when the umps all got together with deGrom and then seemed like they got on the headphones and then eventually just started play?
  • Concession lines were long, but all seemed to be open which was good. Had to coach one cashier through how to accept Payment Wallet transactions.
  • Seems like game lasted right at 3 hours? If it was after 6 when the game ended, it wasn't by much. The pitch clock really works.

All in all, just a great day for baseball. Here's how it looked pregame.

KT 90
AG
Probably not the best proposal idea overall... but maybe we can get that security guard to play LB for the Aggies??

TDub
AG
fc2112 said:

Was going to post here but got caught up in festivities and forgot about y'all.

Tidbits from yesterday.

• Seriously Rangers, more port-a-potties were needed for the tailgaters on Opening Day. Nature seems to - ahhhhh - find a way if you don't.
  • Interesting to close the roof DURING play. I thought it only was supposed to be done between innings.
  • What happened in the 2nd inning (I think) when the umps all got together with deGrom and then seemed like they got on the headphones and then eventually just started play?
  • Concession lines were long, but all seemed to be open which was good. Had to coach one cashier through how to accept Payment Wallet transactions.
  • Seems like game lasted right at 3 hours? If it was after 6 when the game ended, it wasn't by much. The pitch clock really works.

All in all, just a great day for baseball. Here's how it looked pregame.

PitchCom went out for deGrom and they had to get him a new one.

Official game time was 3 hours and 4 minutes.
Tksymm7
AG
Imagine if deGrom was normal deGrom…you're looking at 2:45-2:50. Pretty cool.
beagle2009
AG
So are the Rangers not playing tonight because of the Taylor Swift concert at AT&T? Very weird one-day break in the series.
AgBQ-00
AG
It is not that unusual for teams to schedule a day off in the opening series. It used to be done to build in an oops day for a rain out etc. But with a retractable roof it seems silly now.
DallasAg 94
beagle2009 said:

So are the Rangers not playing tonight because of the Taylor Swift concert at AT&T? Very weird one-day break in the series.
No. I think Swift has a show F, Sa, and Sun.

I think there is an XFL game, as well. I heard there were 3 events happening in that area (Swift, Rangers, XFL).
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

It is not that unusual for teams to schedule a day off in the opening series. It used to be done to build in an oops day for a rain out etc. But with a retractable roof it seems silly now.

Only 5 MLB games on the schedule today. I think in the Rangers case, of they played today, the series would end tomorrow because it is a three game series and then they would have Sunday off.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

beagle2009 said:

No. I think Swift has a show F, Sa, and Sun.

I think there is an XFL game, as well. I heard there were 3 events happening in that area (Swift, Rangers, XFL).
The Renegades game was moved to tonight.

On Saturday, the Rangers play at 3 PM and the concert starts at 6:30 PM. So leaving the Rangers game will be a mess.

However, Sunday is Armageddon. Rangers at 6:00 PM on ESPN, Taylor Swift at 6:30 PM.

MrCoachEricTaylor
When you have higher scoring games, it's going to last longer
dave94
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

When you have higher scoring games, it's going to last longer
Ya don't say?
MrCoachEricTaylor
Lol I've heard a lot of people complaining about the average game times for yesterday still being really close to three hours.
Mr Gigem
AG
dave94
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Lol I've heard a lot of people complaining about the average game times for yesterday still being really close to three hours.
I was blown away when I heard the fastest game was 2:14. That's wild!
dave94
rbtexan
S
I heard a couple of Rangers beat writers say there was one game in spring training that was 1:54. I believe it was the 2-0 game against the White Sox
Jimbo Franchione
MrCoachEricTaylor
At first I was dead set against it just because I hated the idea of changing the game to make someone more interested in watching it. But I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed it so far.
KT 90
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

There were 4 or 5 shutouts yesterday in MLB. What were the times on those? They had to be under 3 hours I'd assume.
aggietony2010
AG
Yankees 5 Giants 0 ,2:33*
Cubs 4 Brewers 0, 2:21*
Rays 4 tigers 0, 2:14*
Twins 2 royals 0, 2:32
Mariners 3 Indians 0, 2:14*

*Home team won, so no bottom 9
AgBQ-00
AG
It is not so much the length of the games I've been impressed with (although it is nice to have games be 3 hrs or under) it is the pace of action. Seeing the pitcher get the ball and pitch and not stand there swaying or picking his butt and seeing batters get in the box without going through a Nomar routine every pitch is awesome!
Yellerjacket
AgBQ-00 said:

It is not so much the length of the games I've been impressed with (although it is nice to have games be 3 hrs or under) it is the pace of action. Seeing the pitcher get the ball and pitch and not stand there swaying or picking his butt and seeing batters get in the box without going through a Nomar routine every pitch is awesome!
It's going to take me a while to get used to it, but I think once the players get used to it and it trickles down to college/high school/ little league, it will be no different than the shot clock in basketball. It will just be there and the game will be better for it.
fc2112
To those who said the effects of the pitch clock on spring training games wouldn't translate to the regular season because of commercials and other stuff....

You were wrong

vander54
S
That's a significant drop
World's worst proofreader
FTAco07
AG
MLB has taken its fair share of well deserved criticism over the years, but it sure feels like they've absolutely nailed the new rule changes. Not only are games shorter, but the action is so much more fast paced and frequent. Now I'm hoping these changes speed things up enough they will consider doing away with the stupid ghost runner in extra innings.
AgBQ-00
AG
Let's get it going
KT 90
AG
Game is on Fox today, so for all the Bally-challenged out there, you can actually watch today

Super Aggie 64
AG
At the game. Let's go Rangers!
Mr Gigem
AG
cdowsk said:

At the game. Let's go Rangers!

Same. Let's go! Beautiful day with the roof open
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Didn't realize Eovaldi had that kind of heat. Dude is out there throwing with confidence.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.