*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,395,281 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Maybe it has to do with attendance.
Attendance = $$$ so this is likely the reason. Or maybe they're just being *******s as they're wont to do...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

I don't know why Toronto and LAAA don't do it. Maybe it has to do with attendance.
This would be the case for just about every franchise during the work week. A Thursday afternoon game will almost always have worse attendance than a night game. I don't know why Toronto or LAA would be special.
mosdefn14
AG
Toronto plays downtown. A few minute walk from the subway and major streetcar lines. If anyone could pull Thursday afternoon, they have the set up.

The problem is Toronto is a hockey town, not a baseball town. Most of the baseball fans come from outside of the city, a lot from upstate New York. Weekend day games are a big deal.

I lived in Toronto for a season and went to many games. $10 would get you as close to the field as you wanted during the week.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Y'all think maybe since Shohei has been hurt the last 10 days, cleared out his locker so will basically be missing all of September, this could be enough to bump Seager to the front runner in MVP Race?
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Y'all think maybe since Shohei has been hurt the last 10 days, cleared out his locker so will basically be missing all of September, this could be enough to bump Seager to the front runner in MVP Race?
I've been hoping Seager gets the votes assuming the Rangers make the playoffs. However, Ohtani is a shoo-in for the award given his two-way status in my opinion. Unfortunately, I think it is too much for Seager to overcome.
Double Talkin' Jive...
bmac_aggie18
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

I've been hoping Seager gets the votes assuming the Rangers make the playoffs. However, Ohtani is a shoo-in for the award given his two-way status in my opinion. Unfortunately, I think it is too much for Seager to overcome.

Sounds right but obviously hope you're wrong. Either way, one of the best seasons in Ranger history even with his injuries. Can't believe he's now the only SS in his FA Class worth anything and we got it all.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
And to be fair, when he was out earlier in the season, we played our best baseball. How can you not call that MVP worthy?
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
By two-way.... Ohtani is a DH.

I'm hoping what Seager adds playing SS every day adds to what voters see.

Did Ohtani really clean out his locker or did the team do it?!

While his numbers, like Trout's for many years, are among the best performers... their teams have never amounted to much.

MVP, IMO, isn't just about putting up gawdy numbers, but the intangibles that help your team win.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

By two-way.... Ohtani is a DH.

I'm hoping what Seager adds playing SS every day adds to what voters see.

Did Ohtani really clean out his locker or did the team do it?!

While his numbers, like Trout's for many years, are among the best performers... their teams have never amounted to much.

MVP, IMO, isn't just about putting up gawdy numbers, but the intangibles that help your team win.

Ohtani is a media darling and the media votes for MVP. Seager should get it, but he won't.

ETA: I think Seags should win it. I'm an optimistic person by nature. I don't see him winning MVP.
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
I agree Ohtani is a media darling.

Seager just goes about his business. I don't know that his locker room presence provides that motivation to elevate the other players, but what he does on the field, in terms of effort, commitment, and rising to the occasion has value. As mentioned, the Rangers played some of their best baseball without Seager. That kinda works against him.

The Rangers were a better team without A-Rod. He did everything on the field and certainly got media attention. But him turning in Ryan Braun and Manny for using PEDs, because he himself got caught, demonstrates why the Rangers were a better team without A-Rod.

I don't know how Ohtani is in the locker room or perceived by his teammates, but the media attention he and Trout got, IMO, seemed like a distraction. The fact the Angels would shift the rotation to accommodate Ohtani, could be perceived by the other guys in the rotation as an issue.

The Angels screwed themselves at the trade deadline. They were likely out, but at the urgency of Ohtani and a hope by the team they could turn it around to keep Ohtani was a failure. Now, they gave up prospects. They increased their Payroll Tax costing them 2 Rds in draft compensation for Ohtani.

I'm hopeful.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Just got a notification that Ohtani is out the rest of the season with an oblique strain. I think we all knew he wouldn't play again this season but it is now confirmed. Not sure it helps Seags but maybe.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I agree Ohtani is a media darling.

Seager just goes about his business. I don't know that his locker room presence provides that motivation to elevate the other players, but what he does on the field, in terms of effort, commitment, and rising to the occasion has value. As mentioned, the Rangers played some of their best baseball without Seager. That kinda works against him.

The Rangers were a better team without A-Rod. He did everything on the field and certainly got media attention. But him turning in Ryan Braun and Manny for using PEDs, because he himself got caught, demonstrates why the Rangers were a better team without A-Rod.

I don't know how Ohtani is in the locker room or perceived by his teammates, but the media attention he and Trout got, IMO, seemed like a distraction. The fact the Angels would shift the rotation to accommodate Ohtani, could be perceived by the other guys in the rotation as an issue.

The Angels screwed themselves at the trade deadline. They were likely out, but at the urgency of Ohtani and a hope by the team they could turn it around to keep Ohtani was a failure. Now, they gave up prospects. They increased their Payroll Tax costing them 2 Rds in draft compensation for Ohtani.

I'm hopeful.

I laugh heartily at LAAA because of their arrogance and giving up prospects for players that one month later would be gone. I hate the Angels and hope nothing but the worst for them, much like everyone else in our division.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Just got a notification that Ohtani is out the rest of the season with an oblique strain. I think we all knew he wouldn't play again this season but it is now confirmed. Not sure it helps Seags but maybe.
If anything else, it definitely helps us in the 3 games out in Anaheim. We were due for a break anyways, because the mariners and Astros didn't have to play the guardians with all of their waiver pick ups.
DallasAg 94
The theatrics of this Ohtani situation is going to prove to be fun to watch.

If the video of him being in Japan are real, this was likely planned.

It is an 11.5 hr flight from SoCal to Narita. California is 2 hrs behind, so it is 11am.

If he left right after the game started, which I think may have been 6:30p Pac time. From the time he was in the locker room to the time he was seen in Japan was about 16.5 hrs.

16.5hrs to find an International flight (JohnWayne/Anaheim or LAX?, likely JW), get through Immigration, to your flight and then 11.5 hrs plus 30 mins to taxi... then go through Customs?!

I've been to both airports (JW and NRT)... that is incredibly fast even if you've booked your flight early.

I think we'll find he planned this trip to Japan days ago.

Angels have put him on the 10IL. I wonder if he planned to go on the IL and split, but the team was trying to get him back on the field... or at least use it for headlines.
DallasAg 94
I'm starting to think the video of him in Japan was a hoax, like the Tweets of him playing for the Jets.

SNA doesn't fly direct to Tokyo (HND nor NRT) and any flight originating from SNA is a 14+ hr flight time.
LAX to Tokyo doesn't appear to have a departure after midday.
agent-maroon
AG
What's Ohtani's relationship with the Angels front office like? He doesn't really communicate much with anybody that I've seen, but it feels like he's kind of standoffish and cold to the organization.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
All the recent Amarillo Sod Poodle talk reminded me of this shirt I have. Busting it out this weekend for sure. #SodSquad

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Dunning giving up lots of hits early.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I don't complain about our broadcast crew much but I hate how Dave Raymond says, "XX place hitter " in reference to their batting order. Just hate it and I'm not sure why. It doesn't sound right.

Anyone else?
Double Talkin' Jive...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Good ump!
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Dane can't throw strikes
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Dane can't throw strikes

He's worried about the guy on 2nd and he's nibbling trying to keep the ball from being put in play. He's inside his head too much.
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Not even close to hitting his targets. This won't end well
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Not even close to hitting his targets. This won't end well

Yep.

I can almost hear what he is thinking.
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Saved his best pitch for last. Reverse jinx worked
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Saved his best pitch for last. Reverse jinx worked

Phew!!

He had then right where he wanted them.
Double Talkin' Jive...
gigem1223
Guess we left the bats in Toronto
gigem1223
Dane has done a nice job rebounding from his first few innings
gigem1223
There we go Marcus! Carter runs the bases so well
gigem1223
Wow! What an incredible catch by Carter! That may be one of the best I've seen.
agent-maroon
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

All the recent Amarillo Sod Poodle talk reminded me of this shirt I have. Busting it out this weekend for sure. #SodSquad

They were the Gold Sox when I was growing up out there. Would love to have that mascot on a t-shirt but I couldn't ever find one:

DeangeloVickers
AG
gigem1223
Lowe has got to knock that down at least
94chem
gigem1223 said:

Lowe has got to knock that down at least

Don't know why we're bringing in a lefty when Perez has been getting grounders. Smith brings a massive fly ball pucker factor into the game.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
gigem1223
Yea I agree. Perez had been dealing. Just a little unfortunate there.
First Page Last Page
Page 575 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.