*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,226,861 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Bush isn't on the 40.
How does that work? Does that mean there is no way to bring someone up who isn't on the 40? Why would we have signed Bush if not?
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Bush isn't on the 40.

Personally, I could care less about the 40. It's go time and we don't need to be making decisions based off that. This team's window is
open. I'd hope they didn't make all these trades and signings to stick with the current 40 just cuz.
So, your answer is to release a player currently on the 40, in order to add someone to the 40 and bring them up for the 1st time to the MLB level to handle the pressure of a pennant race in September?

Which minor leaguer do you suggest?
Bush. Won't be his first time.
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

Jackson Holliday (MLB #1 overall prospect) is also being promoted to AAA. He's 19 and this is his first full season in the minors. He's played at every level of their system this year.
He will likely be fun to watch.

For those unaware, Matt Holliday is his father and his uncle... Josh Holliday has been the HC at Oklahoma State for the past 13 years. Jackson and his younger brother went to HS in Stillwater.
aggietony2010
AG
WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Bush isn't on the 40.
How does that work? Does that mean there is no way to bring someone up who isn't on the 40? Why would we have signed Bush if not?

We could bring him up, but he wouldn't be postseason eligible unless someone on the 40 was hurt and he was the replacement (and I think it requires MLB approval/). He would've had to have been on the 40-man on 8/31.

Bush was essentially free (as far as the Rangers are concerned) to sign a minor league deal. I guess he wasn't impressive enough to warrant the big league roster spot.
WestTexasAg
AG
Seattle about to start playing a much tougher schedule, starting tomorrow.
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Bush isn't on the 40.
You have to remove someone from the 40, in order to add him.

If he wasn't on the 40 as of Sept 1... he is not eligible to play in the post-season.

As mentioned above, that means if someone on the 40 now is removed, you've shortened your options come playoff time.

Bush can still come up and play in September... just not post-season.

It gets a little more complicated. In years past, you could bring up anyone on your 40, after Sept 1 and have them available. The new CBA 2 years a go, limits September roster expansion to 28 (from 26) with no more than 14 P, IIRC.

When you look at the 14 Active players (pitchers) on the roster, you can juggle them to the minors. What I don't know is what that looks like. Can you just move daily, or is there a wait period when you send them down?!

Rangers signed him on July 7, 2023. Why would they do that? They may have wanted to see if they could get him to "click" or help them along the way. He had 7 weeks or so, until the deadline. The real question is what do they do with him, now? They can keep him for the rest of the Round Rock season. He could be developing relationships with players and/or coaches where he might find a role with the Rangers in 2024. Rangers may want to see about signing him for 2024 as a player. He may find his longevity as a player is nearing the end and takes an opportunity as a coach.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Yanks do us a solid and complete the sweep of the Stros
It's telling just how little we talked about the Yankees and the Mets helping us this week. We've been so damn frustrated and pissed off with our own team.

The rangers are still 4-12 since the middle of august.

The Twinkies mediocre offense wore this pitching staff out. Here's their output against us over the 7 games.

7, 12, 2, 7.5, 9, 5

In other words….. they scored 47 total runs on us in 7 games for an average of nearly 7 runs per game. They wore us the hell out.

I hope it's just a bad matchup because we handled the Mets much better than Seattle did. Probably should've swept the Mets actually.
Grapesoda2525
i'm starting to get pissed off at how good Cole Ragans has been.

7 starts, 1.9 fWAR, 33.9% Ks to 6.7% walks. Regress his home run rate and he's still pitched like a TORP
DallasAg 94
Just a reminder we won yesterday and are 1 game out.

Ragans had lots of potential. He has performed well against teams that are playing for 2024.
rbtexan
S
Noticed the Rangers have all of a sudden fast tracked some players. Wolcott is now at high A, Langford just got promoted to AA.

Also Leiter had another solid outing, maybe he's finally figuring something out.
Jimbo Franchione
vander54
S
rbtexan said:

Noticed the Rangers have all of a sudden fast tracked some players. Wolcott is now at high A, Langford just got promoted to AA.

Also Leiter had another solid outing, maybe he's finally figuring something out.

His two outings since coming off the developmental list

6.1 IP
6 Hits
2 ER
1 HR
1 BB
11 SO

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=leiter000jac&type=pgl&year=2023
World's worst proofreader
Tksymm7
AG
No doubt it helps who they are playing and he's not pitching in high leverage games, but pitching to the AL pitcher of the month is a real accomplishment!
PatriotAg02
AG
Just saw that Verlander and Scherzer are matching up Wednesday. Really need to win this series.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

I'll have to look into that... The Minor Leagues drastically changed after the recent CBA.

If I understand correctly, the AAA structure still has the International and Pacific Leagues. However, the Playoffs, which traditionally started already, doesn't start for another week, or two. The winner of the 1/2 H plays the winner of the 2nd H in a 3 game series for the LCS.

THEN, the Pacific LCS winner plays the International LCS winner in Vegas. So, a true AAA Champion.

Why is that important? Well, Callups have Huff and Bradford joining the MLB team. Normally you could bring up more.

Round Rock is currently leading the 2H of the Pacific League, and they look well positioned to make the Playoffs.
Same with Hickory. Frisco (AA) and Down East (A) are out.

Not sure why you'd promote Langford and not give him some playoff experience. Maybe they plan to start him in Frisco in 2024, and this gives him a chance to find a place where he can spend the offseason near Arlington and get ready for his future? Seems odd. Two weeks is 2 weeks, I suppose. Maybe the proximity to Arlington gives the higher-ups a chance to see him live.
DallasAg 94
Just a reminder.

With 26 Games to go, Corey Seager is your currently Qualified Batting Average leader.
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Bush isn't on the 40.
You have to remove someone from the 40, in order to add him.

If he wasn't on the 40 as of Sept 1... he is not eligible to play in the post-season.

As mentioned above, that means if someone on the 40 now is removed, you've shortened your options come playoff time.

Bush can still come up and play in September... just not post-season.

It gets a little more complicated. In years past, you could bring up anyone on your 40, after Sept 1 and have them available. The new CBA 2 years a go, limits September roster expansion to 28 (from 26) with no more than 14 P, IIRC.

When you look at the 14 Active players (pitchers) on the roster, you can juggle them to the minors. What I don't know is what that looks like. Can you just move daily, or is there a wait period when you send them down?!

Rangers signed him on July 7, 2023. Why would they do that? They may have wanted to see if they could get him to "click" or help them along the way. He had 7 weeks or so, until the deadline. The real question is what do they do with him, now? They can keep him for the rest of the Round Rock season. He could be developing relationships with players and/or coaches where he might find a role with the Rangers in 2024. Rangers may want to see about signing him for 2024 as a player. He may find his longevity as a player is nearing the end and takes an opportunity as a coach.
Thanks for the info.
Tksymm7
AG
That is absolutely the reason that Langford is being called up to Frisco to end the year, and he's that good.

Additionally, I think the MLB is changing and trying to get younger. There's still your old wily vets like Scherzer etc., but teams are trusting the talent that they have and "fast tracking" them through their system to get them to the show faster. It's working too. There's now a laundry list of awesome young talent in the league that is 25 or younger, and in a lot of instances 21-23 years old (Bobby Witt Jr., Adley Rutschman, Michael Harris II, Corbin Carroll, Gunner Henderson, Jordan Walker, the list goes on). Teams are trusting the talent and no longer suppressing it for an extra year or control or playing shuttle from AAA to the MLB with their young stars.

Now obviously this doesn't work with everyone, but it's playing out that it does work and works more than most thought it would. Last thing I'll add is this; it makes a whole lot more sense to call up your 20-21 year old STUD and have them play, and pay them for their prime years of 23-30, than to wait for them to hit 28 and then pay for the decline of their career. Again, I know this doesn't and won't always work, but it's better than the alternative imo.
gigem1223
Josh Smith with the start again today in the 8 hole
TexasAggiesWin
S
Hoping we beat the Asteroids today!!! LOL

gigem1223
Tuesday's starter is not set according to Bochy. Will this be the much anticipated return of Eovaldi?

Could be a big boost to the bullpen to be able to get an arm like Heaney or Dunning back there.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

Tuesday's starter is not set according to Bochy. Will this be the much anticipated return of Eovaldi?

Could be a big boost to the bullpen to be able to get an arm like Heaney or Dunning back there.
Dunning is scheduled. He has given up 10ER in his last 3 GS and only gone 13.0 IP.

Dunning could probably use a skip.
gigem1223
Who are you sending to the bullpen when Eovaldi returns? To me it's Dunning. He's already proven he's valuable there and we need another RH pitcher. Heaney just came off his best month of the season as a starter. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Tksymm7
AG
It's a no brainer Dunning for me. We need another RHP there in the worst way.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

CBS Sports app has Eovaldi listed. Not sure their source if Bochy is saying TBD.
KT 90
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

Hoping we beat the Asteroids today!!! LOL

WTH did I just listen to?
gigem1223
gigem1223
We may be looking back at that Chapman trade, like the Clase trade. Ragans is pitching 1 hit shutout baseball today thru 5.
fc2112
Nothing wrong with walking fat boy with 2 out.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I could have done without the excitement, but he got out of it so no harm no foul.
fc2112
gigem1223 said:

We may be looking back at that Chapman trade, like the Clase trade. Ragans is pitching 1 hit shutout baseball today thru 5.

No. Ragans was a player of value in order to get a position of need in a pennant chase. Clase was JD being an idiot.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
gigem1223 said:

Ragans had established pretty well who he was going to be with us. Even if he turns it around elsewhere I've got no reason to believe it would have happened here.
fc2112
Ned Flanders looking a bit wild for the Oxys.
vander54
S
Nice!
World's worst proofreader
Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90
AG
Seager!
First Page Last Page
Page 535 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.