*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,379,505 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GenXAg said:

I don't blame Wash for that so much as Cruz. From my recollection, that was a routine fly ball that Cruz either got lazy on or just let his nerves get to him and he didn't want it going by him so he didn't charge it as hard as he could.

Yeah that's about as bad a recollection as it gets.

Cruz was going back on the ball, not charging in.

And far from a routine fly ball -- it was a well hit ball that hit the bottom of the wall in-flight. To give you an idea of the trajectory, that ball if hit down the right field line in Globe Life might have actually snuck out of the stadium for a homerun.

You could make a decent case that Cruz should have simply played it off the wall which likely would have saved a run. Unfortunately him actually trying to catch it after being out of position compounded the misplay.
rbtexan
S
When men were men....

"Nolan Ryan once threw 235 pitches in a game and made his next start against the Yankees on just three days' rest.

In 1974, Ryan struck out 19 Red Sox hitters over 13 innings in the California Angels' 4-3, 15-inning victory at the Big A. But the most astonishing stat from Ryan's outing might be his pitch count: 235, according to accounts from the game.

This was the second of Ryan's three 19-strikeout performances in 1974, a season in which he finished with 367 strikeouts - 16 shy of the all-time record he set the year before. Ryan finished with a no-decision and didn't even log the most innings by any pitcher in Anaheim that day: His opponent, Luis Tiant, went 14 1/3 innings before surrendering Denny Doyle's walk-off double in the bottom of the 15th.

But Ryan's mammoth effort didn't do him any worse for wear. He made his next start against the Yankees (six scoreless innings) on just three days' rest and finished the season with 26 complete games."
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
Hungry Ojos said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I would think Ron Washington has that claim until Boch takes us to 2 WS or wins one at least.

Fair enough. My only real knock on him so far is his stubborn allegiance to Will Smith as his closer, but everything else has been rock solid.
Yesterday, CYoung indicated the use of Smith vs Chapman is completely situational. They have the analytics of every player and the analytics are dictating Boch's use of them.

A few weeks ago, Sandler (radio guy) said in a pre-game interview that both Smith and Chapman are willing to cede any role for the sake of winning. Neither has the expectation of Closing. They just want to win.
Proposition Joe
I'll believe that when I finally see Chapman come into a game in a high leverage situation rather than always to start an inning.
AggieRob93
AG
Know it was almost 12 years ago, and as I was sitting next to my wife at home, who is from MO and also happens to be a Cards fan, I recall Cruz baby-arming the catch attempt, which I have not watched since the game.
While catching it would have ended the game and the WS, there was a lot more to that game than just Cruz's failure to catch the ball, and with the way the Rangers folded AT HOME in game 7, it is a shame that Cruz receives as much flak as he does from me, much less anyone else. While he could have ended the series with a really good catch, it was the failing of a number of Rangers and the coaching staff to win it all.
Mr Gigem
AG
Game 7 was in STL
Proposition Joe
I still say the topic that does not get near enough attention in that series is that a phantom rain out to save FOX from having to hold television broadcasts for a potential delay.

Game 6 was supposed to be on Wednesday night. 2 hours before gametime it got postponed to Thursday due to weather. It didn't rain in St. Louis that night. In fact, it wound up being a beautiful night (I know, because due to the postponement our Wednesday night in St Louis turned from pre-gaming at a bar before heading to Busch to an all out ****-show).

That phantom rain out allowed Cardinals' ace Chris Carpenter to pitch Game 7. Otherwise it would have been Kyle Lohse or Edwin Jackson.

But TV dictates all, and thus Cardinals got to throw their ace 3 times.
GrapevineAg
AG
To me, it looks like Cruz lost track of where the wall was. Perhaps the weight of the circumstances factored in to that. We still took the lead in extra innings on a Hamilton HR but lost that lead too. Then game 7 was bad. Lots of blame to go around unfortunately.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Proposition Joe said:

I'll believe that when I finally see Chapman come into a game in a high leverage situation rather than always to start an inning.

I feel like part of it though is Chap is kind of notorious for losing his control when he gets guys on base.
AggieRob93
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Game 7 was in STL
Well I'll be, goes to show what bad memories will do to recollection. I appreciate the correction!
Yellerjacket
GrapevineAg said:

To me, it looks like Cruz lost track of where the wall was. Perhaps the weight of the circumstances factored in to that. We still took the lead in extra innings on a Hamilton HR but lost that lead too. Then game 7 was bad. Lots of blame to go around unfortunately.
I only saw the Cruz play in real time. Never could bring myself to watch the replay.
I also didn't watch a second of Game 7. I knew with all my heart we were going to lose and I couldn't do it.
DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

I feel like part of it though is Chap is kind of notorious for losing his control when he gets guys on base.
I think it is more than him losing control... He has had plenty of WPs with nobody on.

I think the point is and the concern is... a WP with a man on base creates a big problem.

The Analytics probably say, "regardless of how temping it may be to pitch him in the 9th... pitch him in the 8th."

He also generally goes 1.0 IP. He has pitched in the 9th in tied games, but I would NOT want Chapman in extra innings.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I haven't even had lunch on Monday

Game 6
Game 7

Tooo soon

Toooooooooo soon
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Josh Harrison to a minor league deal. Let's hope that we never have to actually use him.
Jerry-Ag
DeangeloVickers said:

I haven't even had lunch on Monday

Game 6
Game 7

Tooo soon

Toooooooooo soon
It's Tuesday my friend. Eat yourself some lunch.
Get back or get Jerry’d
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

I think it is more than him losing control... He has had plenty of WPs with nobody on.

I think the point is and the concern is... a WP with a man on base creates a big problem.

The Analytics probably say, "regardless of how temping it may be to pitch him in the 9th... pitch him in the 9th."

He also generally goes 1.0 IP. He has pitched in the 9th in tied games, but I would NOT want Chapman in extra innings.

I for one don't fully understand the hate for Smith as our closer. He's been one of the top 3 best pitchers on our team this season outside of Eovaldi and Dunning. He's not the prototypical closer that throws gas and strikes out the side. But he induces a high amount of soft contact, which is aided by our pretty good infield. He's averaging just over 9 Ks/9, has a WHIP of .87 and only has 2 or 3 blown saves on the year. I would've rather acquired another closer at the deadline, but with what we have, he's probably our best option.
South Platte
I didn't understand replacing Feliz with Oliver in the 10th inning. He only threw 22 pitches in the 9th. There was no double-switch, it was just pitcher for pitcher.

It's actually comforting to hear that I'm not alone in sadly reminiscing about the 2011 World Series. As time passes, I'm able to reflect on how that was possibly the greatest baseball game I've ever seen.

Cubs-Indians Game 7
Red Sox - Yankees Game 4
Red Sox - Mets, Game 6

It's a pretty short list of company for 2011 Game 6. Still proud of that team, Daniels, and Washington. Josh Hamilton in his prime - what an absolute badass.
Daveintx
A game that was won TWICE and slipped away.....

Thought for sure when Hamilton injured and all took them deep that was gonna be the end.....
fc2112
I really do not sweat the 2011 World Series. But then again, I was pretty indifferent about the Cowboy's Super Bowl wins within a week of all three of them.
dave94
AG
Y'all this is way too traumatizing...
JoCoAg09
AG
South Platte said:

I didn't understand replacing Feliz with Oliver in the 10th inning. He only threw 22 pitches in the 9th. There was no double-switch, it was just pitcher for pitcher.
Wash essentially said that he wanted him to go back out there but Nefty couldn't mentally do it.
South Platte
JoCoAg09 said:

South Platte said:

Wash essentially said that he wanted him to go back out there but Nefty couldn't mentally do it.
I've heard that. Might have checked again with Feliz after we went up 9-7. But to bring in Darren Oliver? There was a time when that slow curve was pretty filthy, but in the 10th inning of Game 6?

Cruz gets a bad rap on this game. His arms flailing, not appearing to even be looking at the ball makes his effort look worse than it was. Freese was in the zone and that was a laser to the RF wall. 2 outs, so playing it off the wall wasn't an option either.
fc2112
To all those who complain about balls outside the zone being called strikes against us - we actually benefit from missed balls called strikes more than almost anyone in baseball.

Of course, robots would fix all of it though.

Kinda funny the Oxys are dead last.

South Platte
Brutal stretch for Astros over the next 24 games. Only the 3 @ Detroit are vs a team that is out of a race. We play 23 over that stretch, 10 vs. teams out of a race. Even just taking 1 in our last series vs. Houston should put us at least 5 games up come September 10.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

Brutal stretch for Astros over the next 24 games. Only the 3 @ Detroit are vs a team that is out of a race. We play 23 over that stretch, 10 vs. teams out of a race. Even just taking 1 in our last series vs. Houston should put us at least 5 games up come September 10.
I can't imagine what the dusty / maldy teeth gnashing will look like over there if our division lead stretches over 5 games.
investorAg83
AG
fc2112 said:

To all those who complain about balls outside the zone being called strikes against us - we actually benefit from missed balls called strikes more than almost anyone in baseball.

Of course, robots would fix all of it though.

Kinda funny the Oxys are dead last.

Heim's framing ability has a lot to do with that. Notice that Hedge's old team is just in front of us. That video is insane though…catcher helping them a lot.
Proposition Joe
South Platte said:

JoCoAg09 said:

South Platte said:

I've heard that. Might have checked again with Feliz after we went up 9-7. But to bring in Darren Oliver? There was a time when that slow curve was pretty filthy, but in the 10th inning of Game 6?

Cruz gets a bad rap on this game. His arms flailing, not appearing to even be looking at the ball makes his effort look worse than it was. Freese was in the zone and that was a laser to the RF wall. 2 outs, so playing it off the wall wasn't an option either.

Playing it off the wall was an option had Cruz realized his early alignment/misplay meant he wasn't going to catch it -- but I understand that is difficult to do in heat of the moment. Lance Berkman was the runner on 1st -- if Cruz plays it off the wall and throws it in, you've got 2nd and 3rd (possibly 1st and 3rd) with 2 outs and Rangers still up 1.

Hell, from the "knowing what you know now"... you could possibly make the case that if the centerfielder (Hamilton? Gentry?) is running over to support the play that they get to the carom a few seconds earlier and prevent Berkman from scoring.

The ball falling for a hit didn't give up the lead -- it was the 5+ seconds that Cruz had to chase the carom down that gave up the lead.
MrCoachEricTaylor
JP playing CF and batting 7th tonight
Hungry Ojos
fc2112 said:

I really do not sweat the 2011 World Series. But then again, I was pretty indifferent about the Cowboy's Super Bowl wins within a week of all three of them.

That was the worst sports moment of my life. By far. Just reading this thread is traumatic. And I'm a grown ass man. That game killed a part of me.
Coppell97
AG
Leody getting a day off today.
ChoppinDs40
AG
South Platte said:

JoCoAg09 said:

South Platte said:

I could have swore we brought in Mark Lowe who then threw a nice meatball to end it.
South Platte
In the 11th, yes, we brought in Lowe who was overmatched in that situation. In the 10th, after we went up 9-7, we asked 57 year old Darren Oliver to bring us the title.
PatriotAg02
AG
Glad to see Leody get a day off. I love this lineup.
dvldog
AG
Grapesoda2525
dvldog said:

Looks filthy. Bochy going for that series win. He owes Montgomery one anyway after the lineup he trotted out in his previous start.
First Page Last Page
Page 449 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.