*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,381,841 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Looking at the Top SPs at the Trade Deadline... based on this:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/top-50-deadline-trade-candidates-early-july-edition.html

1. Giolito (CWS): 19GS, 3.45 ERA, 112.1 IP, 117 SO. Could get and reject a QO
4. Montgomery (STL): 18GS, 3.23, 103.0, 96 SO. Could get and reject a QO
5. Flaherty (STL): 18GS, 4.29, 98.2, 96 SO. Not likely to get a QO, although possible
6. Stroman (CHC): 20GS, 2.88, 118.2, 101 SO. $21M Player Option in 2024s
8. Bieber (CLE): <could be facing TJ>. Arb3 in 2024.
9. Lorenzen (DET): 16GS, 3.75, 93.2, 73 SO. Pure rental
12. Rodriguez (DET): 13GS, 2.70, 76.2, 81 SO. Player option for 2024.
13. Lance Lynn (CWS): 19GS, 6.06, 108.1, 133 SO. $18M Team option for 2024

There really aren't any good options for controlled players.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
These Angels unis are pretty sweet.
PatriotAg02
AG
Agreed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They keep talking about Ohtani's off-field earning potential if he lands in a big market during the Astros/Angels game like he's not already in a big market. It's very odd to me.
investorAg83
AG
Try to sign Ohtani in the off-season? Yes. Don't care what the number is. He's worth it.

Trade for him? HELLLL no.
Coppell97
AG
Angels can't close it out.
KT 90
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Yeah, I like them better than ours. I feel like we tried to do too much with ours. But I fully acknowledge that I am not in the target market for these, so take that for what it's worth (i.e. not much...)

MrCoachEricTaylor
How in the hell do you not intentionally walk him with 1st base open!?
KT 90
AG
Coppell97 said:

Angels can't close it out.

Yep, they are collapsing. Just got home a bit ago and turned it on, but was checking the score a few times earlier waiting for dinner and on the way home. THought the Angels had another one for us tonight, but they are choking.
shack009
AG
It was obvious after two batters this guy was going to blow it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
KT 90 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Yeah, I like them better than ours. I feel like we tried to do too much with ours. But I fully acknowledge that I am not in the target market for, so take that for what it's worth (i.e. not much...)

The hat on ours is fine. The rest of the uniform is hot garbage. You're right about the target market though when they had all the models in the announcement dressed like they were homeless other than whatever city connect clothing they were wearing.
shack009
AG
Good lord.
Coppell97
AG
People have rallied around the Peagle though. People like it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Throwing their closer in the 8th sure panned out.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Doesn't mean anything now, but I would've contemplated walking both Bregman and Tucker. And make Abreu win it for them.
94chem
Quincey P. Morris said:

Throwing their closer in the 8th sure panned out.

They have an off day tomorrow, and he threw about 15 pitches. I guess they just wanted to trot some meat out there.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
shack009
AG
They had the lefty warmed up and Barria had been so sketchy. Walk Bregman then bring in Loup to face Tucker, at minimum.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
And now apparently Tucker hasn't taken another pitcher deep more times than he has Barria and they had a lefty ready. Good lord.
KT 90
AG
Now Ohtani goes yard. I guess the wind is blowing out tonight... lol

MrCoachEricTaylor
That ball just sounded so different coming off his bat haha
Ervin Burrell
AG
Last three innings of that HOU-LA game was nutso.
Grapesoda2525
Angels gave up 27 runs over 3 days. Team is a joke.
Tksymm7
AG
Really interesting position the Rangers and Astros are in. Both have great lineups most of days of the week but both in need of pitching help, and by the way some of my friends speak about it, they need pitching help in a bad way. Thing is, they have basically no assets outside of what's on their current roster, whereas as we have a very good system currently with expendable assets.
DallasAg 94
Framber left his last start with a calf issue.

As bad as most people think our SP is, I still challenge anyone to give me your top rotations that are better than the Rangers. While some players are returning, like Urias, many more are dropping.
DallasAg 94
Secretly, we probably want the Astros to keep winning.

Don't look know, but the Yankees are tied with Boston for Last in the ALEast.

I think the Astros are more desireable than the Yanks and Sox in the playoff.

I think the O's are the team to beat. They are likely the best team and have the most opportunity to win.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Framber left his last start with a calf issue.

As bad as most people think our SP is, I still challenge anyone to give me your top rotations that are better than the Rangers. While some players are returning, like Urias, many more are dropping.
Dude is obese. Constantly lots of weight putting a ton of pressure on his legs / feet. Being a pitcher probably doesn't help that either.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Secretly, we probably want the Astros to keep winning.

Don't look know, but the Yankees are tied with Boston for Last in the ALEast.

I think the Astros are more desireable than the Yanks and Sox in the playoff.

I think the O's are the team to beat. They are likely the best team and have the most opportunity to win.
The strength of the AL east and wildcard makes me want the #2 seed in the playoffs over the #1 seed if we can get it. Even as #1 or #2 seeds, you still have to get thru the division series. I'd rather take my chances against the AL central winner and the weakest wild card team then deal with TB later / hope they lose. #4 or #5 in the playoff bracket will be 2 teams from the AL east. Likely one of TB, Baltimore, or Toronto. Pick your damn poison.

The division series is weird in that it's only 5 games. A lot of flukes **** can and does happen. I'd rather face a weaker opponent in the divisional round then take our chances later in the 7 game format with whose left after the first few rounds of the post season.

DallasAg 94
I wasn't necessarily talking about whom I wanted to FACE in the playoffs as much as I was talking about whom I actually want to BE in the playoffs.

Right now we have:
ALEast: Tampa
ALCentral: Minn
ALWest: Rangers

WC1: Balt
WC2: Toronto
WC3: Houston

Sox and NYY are both 2GB

II'd rather Houston be the 3rd WC team instead of Boston or NYY because I think both teams have the ability to add more to their team along the way than Houston can.
MrCoachEricTaylor
So who think we should start having tandem starts with Bradford and Perez? Or even swap Bradford and Perez in the rotation.
gigem1223
Water Boy said:

How many times have they made estimates of what day they'll have that division lead? Remember like 6 weeks ago when that dork from the trastros thread came here claiming they would get the division lead by Sunday after their 6 game stretch with Oakland?

Now they're predicting we're tied entering the Matchup in a week.
Tksymm7
AG
I think they're basically the same pitcher, and Perez has more experience. I'd lean on that until/if Perez completely falls off a cliff.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about whom I wanted to FACE in the playoffs as much as I was talking about whom I actually want to BE in the playoffs.

Right now we have:
ALEast: Tampa
ALCentral: Minn
ALWest: Rangers

WC1: Balt
WC2: Toronto
WC3: Houston

Sox and NYY are both 2GB

II'd rather Houston be the 3rd WC team instead of Boston or NYY because I think both teams have the ability to add more to their team along the way than Houston can.
I wouldn't discount Houston making move(s). They have to realize their core players are getting older, I would think they would be especially willing to take a salary dump player or two with expiring or short-term contracts to make another push.

Yankees will be interesting to watch. I think it's either NYY or LAD for Ohtani. I think the Yankees may for the most part play this season out and hang onto whatever tradable assets they have. Basically start looking to next year. But most "experts" seem to think Ohtani is going to the Dodgers... so who knows.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Water Boy said:

How many times have they made estimates of what day they'll have that division lead? Remember like 6 weeks ago when that dork from the trastros thread came here claiming they would get the division lead by Sunday after their 6 game stretch with Oakland?

Now they're predicting we're tied entering the Matchup in a week.

We do have the Rays and Dodgers coming up while they get the Rockies and the A's. I'd probably be predicting the same if the situations were reversed. Rangers need to find a way to win 2 of 3 against the Rays and then do the same against the Dodgers. At least the sweep against Cleveland helped keep us in a good position (and too bad the Angels choked last night against the Stros or we would be up by 4 games).
Tksymm7
AG
Ohtani in pinstripes would be DISGUSTING.

On the Astros, I think you're right about the salary dump type of guys because they would naturally be cheaper in terms of assets given up. The Astros have one of if not the worst farm system in baseball, so making trades is going to be very difficult from that perspective.

The Rangers are set up very well to make whatever moves they would like, and tbh they need to make some moves. Not only because the big club needs to continue to get better, but because we really need to cash in on some of these prospects that are blocked while we can. I don't want to hold onto guys like Foscue, Acuña, Harris, Zavala, Ornelas etc. if they can bring someone here now. Some of these guys are also having very good seasons so their value could be up.
DallasAg 94
I really like what I've seen (statistically) from Bradford. However, I think if you put him as a SP, he'll never make 5 IP. 3rd time through he'll start to get over-exposed and will be shelled. As a SP, the other team will prepare more for him .

Ask yourself... with all the need for SP among contenders...would you be willing to trade Perez, if you could get a return for him. What would that be? A Top10 Prospect? A RP?

I disagree they are the same. I think they are significantly different. Bradford throws more 4Seam FB and has more swing-and-miss while Perez is more of a sinker baller and will pitch-to-contact.

If the rotation remains, Perez will get 2 more GS before the Trade Deadline, with his last GS on the 28th.

I've said, if by some miracle we get a ToTR guy (i'm fine with a rental) I'd be fine trading Heaney/Perez before the deadline.
First Page Last Page
Page 290 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.