***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,031,621 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is how I imagine Chandler Rome during Yordan's Game 6 homer.

Oh well, now I have to work all night covering a championship.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I know we are in need of impactful position player acquisitions, but let's look at the moves made by James Click four non pitchers so far in free agency:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

Unless he has a sudden change of heart (or someone else is in charge), don't get your hopes up.
He signed Castro, signed Brantley, picked up Yuli's option, extended Alvarez, traded for Vazquez/Mancini/Dubon. If we're only looking at position player moves, there hasn't been a giant need to get them.

The 3 you listed were all back-end of the roster guys, not meant to be impact players. Dusty has regularly not platooned guys correctly and not played them in their normal position. Some of these moves might have been just fine if Dusty implemented them correctly. But he didn't and Click looks like an idiot.
Maybe it's just me but this seems silly.

I get it, Peepaw is an idiot. But the Astros aren't really a team that have back-end guys that aren't meant to be impact players. Our back end guys are guys we still want to contribute, especially considering how much rest we give our starters, and/or young guys we're trying to develop.

So what do you think using Niko correctly looks like? We may not have liked the moves made with Niko but Dusty put him in spots to see if he could contribute, he couldn't. So we moved on. Had we just let him ride the pine as a back-end guy not meant to contribute maybe we don't trade for Mancini or Vazquez and instead Niko is our backup first baseman option in the WS when Yuli goes down....
I am glad you asked.

Niko Goodrum vs LHP
2018 - 132 PA ,116 wRC+
2019 - 107 PA, 144 wRC+
2020 - 37 PA, 182 wRC+
2021 - 108 PA, 108 wRC+

Not only is he above avg vs lefties, he might actually be good? Career BA over .300.

Niko Goodrum vs RHP
2018 - 360 PA, 96 wRC+
2019 - 365 PA. 81 wRC+
2020 - 142 PA, 32 wRC+
2021 - 217 PA, 67 wRC+

Over the previous 2 seasons before signing, he was pretty much unplayable vs RHP.

Dusty gave Niko 45 plate appearances. 37 (over 82%) were vs RHP. Why?
cone
AG
Quote:

I've seen a lot of Rome defenders today on twitter among Astros fans.

that guy sucks
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Fringey arm is not a description I'd use for Peña…
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I know we are in need of impactful position player acquisitions, but let's look at the moves made by James Click four non pitchers so far in free agency:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

Unless he has a sudden change of heart (or someone else is in charge), don't get your hopes up.
He signed Castro, signed Brantley, picked up Yuli's option, extended Alvarez, traded for Vazquez/Mancini/Dubon. If we're only looking at position player moves, there hasn't been a giant need to get them.

The 3 you listed were all back-end of the roster guys, not meant to be impact players. Dusty has regularly not platooned guys correctly and not played them in their normal position. Some of these moves might have been just fine if Dusty implemented them correctly. But he didn't and Click looks like an idiot.
Maybe it's just me but this seems silly.

I get it, Peepaw is an idiot. But the Astros aren't really a team that have back-end guys that aren't meant to be impact players. Our back end guys are guys we still want to contribute, especially considering how much rest we give our starters, and/or young guys we're trying to develop.

So what do you think using Niko correctly looks like? We may not have liked the moves made with Niko but Dusty put him in spots to see if he could contribute, he couldn't. So we moved on. Had we just let him ride the pine as a back-end guy not meant to contribute maybe we don't trade for Mancini or Vazquez and instead Niko is our backup first baseman option in the WS when Yuli goes down....
I am glad you asked.

Niko Goodrum vs LHP
2018 - 132 PA ,116 wRC+
2019 - 107 PA, 144 wRC+
2020 - 37 PA, 182 wRC+
2021 - 108 PA, 108 wRC+

Not only is he above avg vs lefties, he might actually be good? Career BA over .300.

Niko Goodrum vs RHP
2018 - 360 PA, 96 wRC+
2019 - 365 PA. 81 wRC+
2020 - 142 PA, 32 wRC+
2021 - 217 PA, 67 wRC+

Over the previous 2 seasons before signing, he was pretty much unplayable vs RHP.

Because every thing you just said is fan stuff
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I agree. That is a little much, but Pena ranked 23rd out of SS with 100 throws. 27th if you only look at the hardest throw. He's an elite defender, no doubt, but it ain't due to his arm.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Signed Robel Garcia
Signed Stephen Souza
Signed Niko Goodrum

My god you are a miserable human being

I'm sorry I thought this was meant to be a discussion board. I'll be sure to run my opinions by you first before posting the next time.

The current front office just doesnt sign top of the line free agent position players. Even under Lunhow, Brantley and Reddick were the only two I can remember and they weren't big names, though Brantley proved to do well. Much like pitchers, they prefer to home grow them or trade for guys. Like Farmer said, the guys they sign are end of the roster guys.
htxag09
AG
Phillies, for example, have 3 LHP. So you think it's ok to have a roster spot for someone who can only hit LHP? In relation to 82% of Niko's plate appearance being against RHP, isn't it like 75-80% of pitchers in MLB are RHP, so doesn't seem all that surprising to me.

In my unexpert opinion, Niko didn't belong on our roster. Sooner we figured that out and move on the better.
Farmer1906
AG
Yes, that is how you turn a guy making a few M a year into a valuable piece. Why do you think teams like the Rays compete with the Yankees yearly?

Just FYI, its more like 25-30% of pitches thrown are from lefties.
redline248
AG
heavens11 said:

Will add he (uncle Mike) also doesn't seem to have much pop in the bat. Professional hitter for sure but not much power anymore. Note: that's just my observation watching games. I haven't looke up the stats
42nd percentile in max exit velo, and below 50th percentile in Barrel %. He apparently didn't qualify for the Barrel %, so I don't know the exact percentile. His 6.0 barrel % is lower than the 50th percentile mark of 7.9%. (I used Adley Rutschman for comparison, since he was on the 50th percentile).
Beau Holder
AG
I've always loved Ji-Man Choi.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Did the exact same thing with Castro, and I have no doubt he'd do the exact same thing with Choi (although Choi's splits for '22 are pretty similar, albeit only 50 ABs vs LHP).
MAROON
AG
Pretty sure he played Chas against righties and Myers against lefties. Chas is much better against lefties
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Mathguy64
AG
And all of this is why Click and Dusty are at odds and why Click is the odd man out.

By all accounts Dusty is a great guy and the players love him to death. But frankly he gets away with some really bad decisions, mainly because the team was so good they made up and covered up for his bad decisions. And Click knows it and Dusty doesn't seem to care.

Fortunately he didn't make these kinds of bad choices in the playoffs. Who knows if he was listening by then or if he knew they were bad early and just didn't care.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
MAROON said:

Pretty sure he played Chas against righties and Myers against lefties. Chas is much better against lefties

They're both better against lefties. Chaz is better against righties that Jake however
SECcess12
Kind of find it ironic that we may replace Yuli with an Asian baseball player
Harry Dunne
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

He's on the lower end of arm strength for MLB shortstops. He's got elite range, a quick release and a high IQ… but definitely does not have a cannon.

I can see him finishing his career at 2b as he loses range into his 30s.
Blackbeard94
AG
PETE2019 said:

I made the mistake of opening that SI article but WTF?!? I know she wasn't around in 1919 but come on lady.

Agree, can think of a few. Shoeless Joe Jackson and the Blacksox. Pete Rose. Roids…
BMX Bandit
Ji-Man traded to pirates.
Farmer1906
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ji-Man traded to pirates.

Coming to post that.

Abreu, Rizzo, Bell, or Mancini then.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CkycblerSwy
Ag4life80
AG
Don't want Bell. He finally gets in a pennant race and sucks for 75% of it.
Abreau is a great solution for the DH/1B hole.
Love JV, but anything over 2 yrs @ 35M each is a hard pass.
Yordan has very little range in LF as he seems to get bad jumps. We need a durable guy to play on the road with in LF
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hmmmm…. That's interesting.

Bam!

I said we needed to focus on LHBs or righty killers.

There's some damn good and probably won't break the bank LHBs in this free agent class!

If Yuli re-signs, he could be other half of a first base platoon.
Ag_07
AG
Just my gut feel but at this point I'd be shocked if JV is back.

If we wanted to be here on a team friendly deal then it woulda happened during our exclusive negotiating window.

The fact that he's a FA and able to listen to others tells me he's off to the highest bidder and that won't be us.
AggieJ2002
AG
I'm all for Rizzo or Abreu. Want no part of Josh Bell and I'd much rather bring back Yuli as the full time first baseman in that case.
Beau Holder
AG
Just found out my parents got us one of the legacy bricks for a wedding gift.
irish pete ag06
AG
I don't know much about Josh Bell except for a stat line. Why would you not want him?
Farmer1906
AG
Very streaky. Was one of the best hitters in baseball in the first half. Absolutely terrible the 2nd half.

Reputation as a not great defender, but had made strikes to be good enough.
MaxPower
Keep in mind Rizzo got a QO. I find it hard to believe the Astros will give up a high draft pick for a solid if unspectacular 1B that isn't a long-term solution. Abreu makes much more sense for a similar price.
Marvin
AG
Beau Holder said:

Just found out my parents got us one of the legacy bricks for a wedding gift.

Awesome! They should send you one for your home in addition to the stadium. Our MMP brick is in the HOF alley just before the big mural.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Did I miss the discussion about Altuve and Alvarez winning Silver Slugger awards?
themissinglink
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just my gut feel but at this point I'd be shocked if JV is back.

If we wanted to be here on a team friendly deal then it woulda happened during our exclusive negotiating window.

The fact that he's a FA and able to listen to others tells me he's off to the highest bidder and that won't be us.
I think we offer a competitive contract and re-sign him. Crane loves JV. Something along the lines of 2/75 or 3/105.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Did I miss the discussion about Altuve and Alvarez winning Silver Slugger awards?

It was only announced 40 min ago.

They deserved it.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

It was only announced 40 min ago.

They deserved it.

But 40 minutes on the Astros thread is like dog years. I'm surprised someone hasn't already suggested trading one of them at peak value because of the award (lol).
Marvin
AG
Josh Bell won one, also.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.