***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

959,246 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I think it has something to do with his "I'm the most badass dude on the planet" stance

I think you're way off here.

Regardless of his struggles in the clutch a top 5 Astro list without Bagwell is a joke.
The Porkchop Express
Ag_07 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

I think it has something to do with his "I'm the most badass dude on the planet" stance

I think you're way off here.

Regardless of his struggles in the clutch a top 5 Astro list without Bagwell is a joke.
I've mentioned before that the end of Baggy's career left me with some sour grapes on the subject of him, but he was a megastar during his playing days and impossible to leave off the list. Biggio and Bagwell's careers would have been significantly lessened without each other's presence, and Bagwell's 1994 season was one for the ages. He's not in my top 5 favorites, but definitely in the top best.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Breggy Popup
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Bregxit said:

Nolan never won more than 16 games as an Astro. He never approached the strikeout numbers he had in California. He struck out 327+ 5 times there, his high in Houston was 270. He had one season with 10 complete games, and two seasons with 3 shutouts.

From 1976-1979, JR was 20-15, 18-12, 18-11, 18-13. ERA: 2.75, 2.97, 3.11, 2.71. Strikeouts: 214, 214, 303, 313. he threw 62 complete games and 13 shutouts in those 4 years.

So because Nolan in Houston didn't approach Nolan in California's numbers, he is nowhere near JR? Wins don't make a hill of beans as to whether a pitcher is bad, good, great or whatever. Ryan never got run support in Houston. For example, in 1987 he became the first and only pitcher ever to not win the Cy Young when leading the league in both ERA and strikeouts...all because the lack of run support led to an 8-16 record. His workload was also managed drastically different in Houston than in California previously. The late 70s were the end of the "finish what you started" era. Nolan's inning count reflects that. The 80s was the beginning of managing pitch counts and heavier bullpen usage.

I am not diminishing JR by any stretch, but to say Ryan was nowhere near him in Astros history is absurd.
I didn't say he was nowhere near JR. I'm saying in my opinion JR was better. I'd put Nolan in the top 4 for sure of Astro pitchers, but not as good as JR. But it's difficult to believe he didn't get run support for an entire decade.
You are right, I misread the nowhere close comment. JR's run support averaged a half run higher both per start and R/27outs pitched than Nolan. 1985 and 1987 were particularly bad for Nolan while he was in a game at 2.9R/27 outs pitched.
The Porkchop Express
You're right. I went to plenty of Nolan games in the 80s where he would lose 2-0 or 3-1. He was our long-time favorite alongside Cheo Cruz, and when I saw Nolan at TCU in 1995 in person, I literally stopped walking and my friend went crashing into me. I was quite star struck
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Breggy Popup
AG

You're right. I went to plenty of Nolan games in the 80s where he would lose 2-0 or 3-1. He was our long-time favorite alongside Cheo Cruz, and when I saw Nolan at TCU in 1995 in person, I literally stopped walking and my friend went crashing into me. I was quite star struck

I was in a pitchers duel against Alvin when Reese was in the team. I went 8 2/3 and they walked it off on an error and a double. Nolan shook mine and the Alvin pitcher's hands after the game and said we did a heck of a job. Highlight of my baseball career.
bigjag19
AG
Clearly wasn't the 2nd best Alvin pitcher of all time you were facing.
The Porkchop Express
Bregxit said:

I was in a pitchers duel against Alvin when Reese was in the team. I went 8 2/3 and they walked it off on an error and a double. Nolan shook mine and the Alvin pitcher's hands after the game and said we did a heck of a job. Highlight of my baseball career.
When I was in HS with Cheo Jr., Bellaire played Alvin in the regional semifinals one year and Alvin walked Cruz Jr. intentionally with the bases loaded in the top of the first inning so they didn't have to pitch to him. He hit .600 his senior year.
Breggy Popup
AG

Bregxit said:

When I was in HS with Cheo Jr., Bellaire played Alvin in the regional semifinals one year and Alvin walked Cruz Jr. intentionally with the bases loaded in the top of the first inning so they didn't have to pitch to him. He hit .600 his senior year.
Pretty sure I have told this here before, but we played a preseason game against Bellaire. I struck Cheito out the first time up. Second time he hit a ball about 550' off of me. My neck still hurts from the whiplash.
The Porkchop Express
Bregxit said:

Bregxit said:

Pretty sure I have told this here before, but we played a preseason game against Bellaire. I struck Cheito out the first time up. Second time he hit a ball about 550' off of me. My neck still hurts from the whiplash.
Bellaire was cheating its ass off in baseball throughout the 80s and 90s. There were some sleazeball apartments on Bissonet and Bellaire Blvd. what cost about $250/month, so parents would rent one, pretend it was their home address, and enroll their kids at BHS. My sophomore year, Bellaire had 3 future MLBers on its roster, but only 1 of them, Kelly Wunsch (Gigem) was zoned there. Cruz lived in Friendswood but came to Bellaire on a foreign language transfer, and Jeff Devanon's parents had the phony apartment, he lived literally across the street from Westbury HS.
Breggy Popup
AG
Yeah I remember hearing about Devanon. I remember Schreiber was a d-bag. Did he weasel his way in as well?
The Porkchop Express
Bregxit said:

Yeah I remember hearing about Devanon. I remember Schreiber was a d-bag. Did he weasel his way in as well?
I don't remember him. I was too busy helping our basketball team go 8-22 to get to know too many of the baseball players
Taxman90
AG
…I guess Bellaire got tired of losing to Sharpstown in the 70's and early 80's.
The Porkchop Express
Taxman90 said:

…I guess Bellaire got tired of losing to Sharpstown in the 70's and early 80's.
No idea! I was in elementary school then.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think all of these things are reasonable. Unfortunately the MLB commissioner is not a reasonable man.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Japan... Wow
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I really enjoy Japanese baseball. It's very pure
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Who the hell is Bill Hall
wildmen09
AG
Couldn't agree more. It's a mix of old with bunting, power, and speed. Beautiful baseball
gambochaman
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I really enjoy Japanese baseball. It's very pure

100%
wildmen09
AG
I'd say this is even true with the Little Leaguers as well.
Texaggie7nine
They should have kept Urquity in for another 2 innings at least. They would have won easily.
7nine
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I was telling my wife it's so "weird" to me how every Japanese player looks/swings/plays the same and how it is so specifically non American.

Weird isn't really the right word but not sure how to describe it. Just funny
bearkatag15
AG

Just take my money already
spadilly
S
bearkatag15
AG

This dude is having a mental breakdown over the WBC and Altuve getting hurt... His timeline is an interesting read of *****ing and complaining about the WBC
The Porkchop Express
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Who the hell is Bill Hall
I think he played for the Brewers for a long time. The 2011 Astros were not exactly a team to write home about. BR.com says we signed him as a free agent in December 2010 and released him on June 4 2011 so he must have been pretty spectacular.

That was the 56-106 season, Here's your opening day lineup.

CF Michael Bourn
SS Angel Sanchez - I really have no clue who this is
RF Hunter Pence
LF Carlos Lee
2B Bill Hall
3B Chris Johnson
1B Brett Wallace
C Humberto Quintero
P Brett Myers

and here is your last day of the season lineup - please use the bag in the seatback pocket in front of you if you are feeling nauseous

CF JB Shuck
2B Jose Altuve
LF JD Martinez
1B Carlos Lee
RF Brian Bogusevic
3B Jimmy Paredes
SS Clint Barmes
C Humberto Quintero
P Brett Myers

agproducer
AG
He's gone off the deep end, but he's a good follow because he does have decent insider info.
agproducer
AG
God, both lineups are complete ass.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

On ATTSSW
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggieLong
AG
I had to unfollow. He is too much sometimes. I figured someone would retweet the good info he has, if any.
texasaggie2015
AG
AggieLong said:

I had to unfollow. He is too much sometimes. I figured someone would retweet the good info he has, if any.
Yeah, I can't stand the guy. Also I would take his "inside info" with a grain of salt. He mentions having "friends" on the team way too often for someone to actually have friends on the team lol
agproducer
AG
Always take any insider info with a grain of salt.
First Page Last Page
Page 335 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.