Yankee Stadium

6,797 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Marvin
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkag89 said:

Do you realize the fake little hill has been gone for seven or eight years now?
one less gimmick for a gimmicky ballpark.
AustinCountyAg
YokelRidesAgain said:

LSCSN said:

MMP is lame. Nobody outside of Houston thinks its great. Yankee stadium is a dud, too.
This is the correct answer.

The game atmosphere is made by the people in it, but neither the facility or the experience of either place is in the upper echelon. The west coast parks and, for some reason, Pittsburgh are just way better venues as an unbiased observer.

The tendency for Houston fans to come unhinged when you point out that their choo-choo train and fake little hill in the outfield are second rate is hilarious.
I don't believe any true Astros fan (besides the one guy in this thread) would argue that MMP is in the upper echelon of MLB parks(top 5 fields). The facility as a whole is very good by pro standards. Nice cages, large lockerooms, etc.

With that said, it has a roof and a/c, large concourses where the field is visible from basically anywhere, good food vendors. Players like playing there and for fans it is pretty dang good.

jkag89
LSCSN said:

jkag89 said:

one less gimmick for a gimmicky ballpark.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
jkag89 said:

Actually no. I spend as little time in Houston as possible.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Don't tell me they got rid of the choo-choo train, too??
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiederelict
I have been to Yankee Stadiums a few times. Nothing to ride home about. I would say their fanbase is terrible. Low baseball IQ fans who didn't play past little league. The older fans tend to know baseball stats and players but they can't analyze the game at any meaningful level.

I often tell Yankee fans they should stick to hockey and lacrosse. You know since they actually produce that talent rather than baseball.
jkag89
Do both of realize how ridiculous it makes you look in arguing the pluses and minuses of a ballpark when a feature that has long been removed is being used as a reason MM is a lame park?

I agree that it is not an upper echelon MLB ballpark but I do agree with AustinCountyAg's assessment.

Quote:

Don't tell me they got rid of the choo-choo train, too??
Not a big fan of the train either, but you who likes the train? Kids. I'm all for features of a ballpark that entertain younger kids which allow parents to actually sit in their seats and enjoy the game.
AustinAg2K
YokelRidesAgain said:

LSCSN said:

MMP is lame. Nobody outside of Houston thinks its great. Yankee stadium is a dud, too.
This is the correct answer.

The game atmosphere is made by the people in it, but neither the facility or the experience of either place is in the upper echelon. The west coast parks and, for some reason, Pittsburgh are just way better venues as an unbiased observer.

The tendency for Houston fans to come unhinged when you point out that their choo-choo train and fake little hill in the outfield are second rate is hilarious.
I wouldn't call MMP lame, but it is an average park. On a random Tuesday night in August, it doesn't do anything to detract from the game, nor enhance it. Some parks, like PNC or the one in SF are spectacular, and the park itself makes it fun even if the game isn't great. Some parks, like the Oakland Coliseum, are such garbage that even a WS game there would be awful. For an inconsequential regular season game, MMP is fine. For a CS or WS game, MMP is fabulous. MMP is never a bad park, though.

Note: Wrigley and Fenway are not comparable to any other park as they have an earned history no one can replicate.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
aggiederelict said:

I would say their fanbase is terrible. Low baseball IQ fans who didn't play past little league. The older fans tend to know baseball stats and players but they can't analyze the game at any meaningful level.
Tell me you've never sat in the right field bleachers at Yankee Stadium without telling me.

The basic statement is true of every fanbase at every ballpark. There's a few thousand people (or, in Oakland or Tampa Bay, like ten people) who understand every nuance of the game and can explain the infield fly rule without hesitation. Fifty percent are there because they were drug along by someone who likes baseball. The rest are casual fans.

The Yankee fanbase in general is large, loud and mean, and that defines the atmosphere. The Naylor kid from Cleveland gets it: 48 thousand people yelling "Who's your Daddy?" at you is what you ought to be hoping for as a baseball player. They know who you are and they hate you, because you were good enough to draw their attention.
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nino Brown said:

It's called typing while in a meeting and correcting typos, dip***** Are you 12?
No, but I learned how to type when I was 12. You should try it.

You should probably pay more attention to your job, too. Those burgers aren't going to flip themselves.

Are you sure you went to college? This has got to be an eleven year old. No way in hell this is real man.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nino Brown said:

Are you sure you went to college? This has got to be an eleven year old. No way in hell this is real man.
Whoa there, chief. Did you not see the plus sign by my name?

I've been to college AND to more than one baseball stadium, too.
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

jkag89 said:

Actually no. I spend as little time in Houston as possible.

Thank God. You'd get your ass licked around here with all the **** you talk.

Once again, this topic was about stadiums, not about your ex boyfriend in Houston that broke your heart. Yeah I'm an Astros fan but you act like you're actually on the team with Bryce Harper. Not one person was on here like a little kid talking **** about actual teams they don't play for until you decided you needed some attention today.
Nino Brown
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nino Brown said:

Whoa there, chief. Did you not see the plus sign by my name?

I've been to college AND to more than one baseball stadium, too.

There's many ways for you to get that sign. Still doesn't make you less of a dbag for trying to derail a conversation about stadiums but bringing up unrelated **** just because you need attention.
AustinCountyAg
YokelRidesAgain said:

aggiederelict said:

I would say their fanbase is terrible. Low baseball IQ fans who didn't play past little league. The older fans tend to know baseball stats and players but they can't analyze the game at any meaningful level.
Tell me you've never sat in the right field bleachers at Yankee Stadium without telling me.

The basic statement is true of every fanbase at every ballpark. There's a few thousand people (or, in Oakland or Tampa Bay, like ten people) who understand every nuance of the game and can explain the infield fly rule without hesitation. Fifty percent are there because they were drug along by someone who likes baseball. The rest are casual fans.

The Yankee fanbase in general is large, loud and mean, and that defines the atmosphere. The Naylor kid from Cleveland gets it: 48 thousand people yelling "Who's your Daddy?" at you is what you ought to be hoping for as a baseball player. They know who you are and they hate you, because you were good enough to draw their attention.
refer to my first post in this thread. Yankd/Sox series this year I went to in yankee stadium was completely dull until they went into extra innings. Zero atmosphere for what was at stake that series.

I can compare that to the yanks/sox series I went to last summer at Fenway and then fans there were loud and into the entire game from the first pitch even when they were losing.

Of course this is only my opinion. Judging from your posts in this thread I can tell your opinion is worth way more than mine.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Nino Brown said:

There's many ways for you to get that sign. Still doesn't make you less of a dbag for trying to derail a conversation about stadiums but bringing up unrelated **** just because you need attention.
No, there's only one way.

And the only person on here throwing around insults and trying to convince us you're a Real Big Billy Badass is you. Sorry you got your panties in a wad because I pointed out that your stadium is average and that your team cheated. None of that is controversial, at all.
aggiederelict
The difference is the Yankees tout themselves as being knowledgeable baseball fans. But even the "knowledgeable" Yankee fans can't tell the difference between a sinker or a circle change. They couldn't setup a proper relay in the outfield.

And it largely because they didn't play baseball at even a moderate level. They use little league baseball knowledge to discuss approaches to hitting. It's like me talking the details of football when I didn't even play the game. They don't produce baseball talent and it shows in their understanding of the game. Of course every fans base has their casual fans.

And yes I have sat in right at Yankee stadium. A bunch of guidos who don't know baseball.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
aggiederelict said:

The difference is the Yankees tout themselves as being knowledgeable baseball fans. But even the "knowledgeable" Yankee fans can't tell the difference between a sinker or a circle change. They couldn't setup a proper relay in the outfield.
I'll take "Stuff I just completely made up" for $400, Alex. Do you really sit next to people at baseball games and quiz them on their knowledge of grips for various pitches?
Marvin
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

monarch said:

MMP is one of the best, if not the best ball park in MLB.
LOL no.

Nice team, even without the beating on the trash cans, but MMP is a slightly above average facility, at best.

PNC Park is the best stadium in baseball, although it would be way better if the Pirates wouldn't insist on appearing at every game.

The Mariners, Padres, Giants, and Twins facilities are much nicer than Enron Field. Don't even compare it to Wrigley or Fenway.

100% disagree with T-Mobile Park. I just spent 18 innings there and while the view of the bay and city is spectacular from the upper deck on the first base side, the concourses were small and the traffic flow to/from the light rail made for incredibly congested bottlenecks. I found nothing special about it when compared to a number of other retractable roof stadiums.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
Mrs. Marvin and I went to NYC this summer and watched baseball both in the Bronx and Queens. I did not see the old Yankee Stadium, but the new one was disappointing. The Mets stadium was far nicer, in my opinion.

And no, we did not sit in the outfield bleachers. Yankee team personnel warned us to stay away to avoid confrontation. That tells you all you need to know about the fans that sit there. We enjoyed the fans in line and that sat around us. They were interactive and friendly, and some gave us the business- I would have been disappointed to not get the Bronx experience. The area around the stadium was dead or dilapidated... hopefully the Yankees develop it for some much needed atmosphere.

I was totally unimpressed by the museum at Yankee Stadium. I expected an organization that's been around for 200 years to have a more impressive display of memorabilia. I think the Cardinals kick their ass in this area. I'd even say the same about the Royals museum at Kaufmann.

I'd go see another game in New York because I love baseball, but the new Yankee Stadium is way down the list of must-see structures. It's maybe top 15, at best, because of the name.
AustinCountyAg
Marvin said:

Mrs. Marvin and I went to NYC this summer and watched baseball both in the Bronx and Queens. I did not see the old Yankee Stadium, but the new one was disappointing. The Mets stadium was far nicer, in my opinion.

And no, we did not sit in the outfield bleachers. Yankee team personnel warned us to stay away to avoid confrontation. That tells you all you need to know about the fans that sit there. We enjoyed the fans in line and that sat around us. They were interactive and friendly, and some gave us the business- I would have been disappointed to not get the Bronx experience. The area around the stadium was dead or dilapidated... hopefully the Yankees develop it for some much needed atmosphere.

I was totally unimpressed by the museum at Yankee Stadium. I expected an organization that's been around for 200 years to have a more impressive display of memorabilia. I think the Cardinals kick their ass in this area. I'd even say the same about the Royals museum at Kaufmann.

I'd go see another game in New York because I love baseball, but the new Yankee Stadium is way down the list of must-see structures. It's maybe top 15, at best, because of the name.

Basically our exact feelings of yankee stadium. I was really shocked at how crappy it is around the stadium. I expected more bars, and nicer ones, but then again it's location makes it tough I'm sure to have anything nice before it gets destroyed by its residents.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I expected more bars, and nicer ones, but then again it's location makes it tough I'm sure to have anything nice before it gets destroyed by its residents.
Yeah, the atmosphere around Yankee Stadium is the pits. They don't so much as mark the location of home plate on the weed strewn vacant lot where the old stadium used to be. The Yankee bars are all terrible, too. If you're expecting Wrigleyville or Fenway you're going to be real disappointed.
aggiederelict
I go with my wife's family and friends. Some of them are 'diehard' Yankee fans. They just kept yelling bunt when the shift was on like it was a U12 baseball game. They are loud. I will give them that. What they lack in baseball knowledge they make up for in yelling and screaming. And they way they treat opposing fans is downright criminal from the stuff i have seen there.

But compared to St. Louis and Boston they don't know much about the actual game of baseball. Again, they don't produce baseball players at a very meaningful level so it is to be expected.
OKCAg2002
AG
MMP is a good venue and fits the needs of Houston. The retractable roof is a necessity, and because of that the stadium will naturally be limited in its architecture. My biggest gripe with MMP is the cheesy eye candy. I can tolerate the train, but the excessive signage and advertising has always been obnoxious to me. Everything has a corny brand like the "Chick-Fil-A Foul Poles" or the "Astros Community Leaders." The community leaders just forked over $$ to Jim Crane for their signage.

But that's all pretty trivial to the stuff that really matters in a fan's experience. The concourses, views, stadium quirks like the Crawford Boxes, etc. make it a better than average MLB stadium.
AGAZ03
AG
I love MMP. Very intimate and good sight lines.

But the Petco field is beyond awesome and the beer selection is second to none. Get the .397 IPA.

Also, giants and mariners parks are great for food and scenery.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't like it either, but that is true everywhere.

OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah, that's true. But it just feels excessive to me at MMP.
Farmer1906
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

Yeah, that's true. But it just feels excessive to me at MMP.
Just because it used to be so much better in LF.

OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah, it's a huge difference from when the park first opened. I think the excessive signage started with McLane pimping out every possible sight angle. At least Crane has gotten some of the "Astros Community Leaders" signs off the outfield light posts in order to give more visibility to the skyline.
AGAZ03
AG
Here is a article I actually agree with.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/best-mlb-stadiums-ranked-2022-edition-baseball-ballparks

Also, Petco is the best.
Marvin
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Here is a article I actually agree with.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/best-mlb-stadiums-ranked-2022-edition-baseball-ballparks

Also, Petco is the best.

I already commented on T-Mobile. I'd also say Nationals Park is rated too high on this list.

I do like the love they show Kaufmann Stadium. One of my favorites.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.