Stros Draft Primer

1,083 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Marvin
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given our team is in the midst of a playoff run, the draft may not elicit much excitement. However, I wanted to provide a primer for those who have interest. The 1st and 2nd round are tomorrow and the Stros have 3 picks. In general, the draft is thought of as weak at pitcher and strong with bats (college and HS). Below are some of the guys I've found in the rumor mill as being fits for the local 9 with some scouting info. Please feel free to add in any others you're seeing / hearing in the rumor mill as potential picks.

Peyton Graham (Oklahoma, SS/3B): Shows average to plus tools across the board. Weird swing and very lanky body, kind of reminds me of the SS version of Hunter Pence. Right now can stick at SS, but the main question is whether he fills out and, if so, does he have to move to 3B. His power is fine for a SS but may be light for a 3B. Seems like a safe pick with a high floor and low ceiling.

Jacob Melton (Oregon St, CF): More upside but more downside than Graham. Has near elite speed and will stick in CF. Also has a solid power profile. The main question is on his swing and pitch recognition as he struggles against good breaking balls. If he figures that out could be a star.

Cade Horton (Oklahoma, RHP): A late riser due to his performances in May and June, Horton sits in the mid 90's with a high spin fastball and a high 80's slider that is plus to plus plus. His curve and change have some potential but floor is that of a dominant RP. Only red flag is the small number of innings (only 53 this year and missed 2021 due to injury) and the fact he wasn't that good before June but he is on the younger side having not yet turned 21. The fit seems obvious with traits we covet (high spin rates) combined with this being a poor pitching draft so we may want to knock that out early. If he makes it to us then I'd bet on him being the pick.

Landon Sims (Miss St, RHP): Like Horton, he has great spin with a great secondary pitch, though candidly the scout grades were even higher and he has a better track record. He was thought of as a top 10 pick before going down with TJ. Might be more of a round 2 target or an under slot round 1 guy if we want to save money for later in the draft.

Owen Murphy (HS IL, RHP): The only HS prospect I could find mocked to the Stros, though I don't see us using a 1st on him and I doubt he lasts to our 2nd. Highly competitive pitcher who fills up the strike zone with a high spin fastball that our brass seems to covet. Given the picks we have lost the past few years, I think its more likely we go strictly college the first 4 or 5 rounds.

Max Wagner (Clemson, 3B): Draft eligible sophomore came out of nowhere to crush 27 HR this year. He also draws plenty of walks and seems likely to stick at 3B with a solid arm and hands. Still has some swing and miss in his swing. Makes the most sense as an underslot 1st or 2nd rounder.

Spencer Jones (Vanderbilt, OF/1B): Big tools that finally started to show this season. Huge player at 6-7 who generates consistent high exit velocities. Solid speed in spite of size, but likely limited to a corner OF spot. The main concerns are that he just started to produce and it still wasn't necessarily elite. Strikes out way too much as well while displaying just good in game power. Pick would be more about tools and projection than production and advanced metrics.
Marvin
AG
Who is the last great... maybe even good... pitcher the Astros drafted out of college?

Here's the list I made after some research (starting in '96):

Brad Lidge
Billy Wagner
Chad Qualls
Scott Feldman
Bud Norris
Dallas Keuchel
Josh James
Daniel Mengden (traded)
Corbin Martin (traded)

An Astros legend, a great and a couple of very goods. That's not much of a track record for college pitching drafted by the Astros in the past 25+ years.

12thMan9
AG
Marvin said:

Who is the last great... maybe even good... pitcher the Astros drafted out of college?

Brad Lidge
Billy Wagner
Chad Qualls
Scott Feldman
Bud Norris
Dallas Keuchel
Josh James
Daniel Mengden (traded)
Corbin Martin (traded)

An Astros legend, a great and a couple of very goods. That's not much of a track record for college pitching drafted by the Astros in the past 25+ years.

Mark Appel.
Ronnie '88
Marvin
AG
12thMan9 said:

Marvin said:

Brad Lidge
Billy Wagner
Chad Qualls
Scott Feldman
Bud Norris
Dallas Keuchel
Josh James
Daniel Mengden (traded)
Corbin Martin (traded)

Mark Appel.

Did you miss the first 8 words of my comment?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.