*****Official Texas Rangers 2022 Season Thread*****

260,329 Views | 4596 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Yukon Cornelius
Tksymm7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Martin Perez has pitched well around five walks, but he cannot be walking five guys like this.
Danny Vermin
First time all season. 4 was the most in a game all season.
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Michael Young and Ian Kinsler are "my" Rangers. Those guys were who I looked up to and who I enjoyed watching the most!
Rook.

Buddy Bell and Pete O'Brien.
WestTexasAg
AG
Damn. Lowe doesn't exactly help out his fielders at 1st base.
Danny Vermin
I was obsessed with Oddibe McDowell among many Rangers growing up.
WestTexasAg
AG
Danny Vermin said:

I was obsessed with Oddibe McDowell among many Rangers growing up.
Ha! Yep.
WestTexasAg
AG
rbtexan said:

Haven't seen it to confirm, but heard that Baseball America now has Evan Carter ranked as the Ranger's #1 prospect....ahead of Leiter, Jung, Rocker, etc.

Interesting if true. He's had a heck of a year in high A for a 19 yr old. Was 2 for 4 last night with a double & a stolen base.
Just looked up his stats. 10 HRs and 10 TRIPLES this season.
rbtexan
S
And 23 or so SBs. He's a legit 5-tool prospect.

Keep in mind he's doing it in high A as a 19 yr old. Tremendous potential.
Jimbo Franchione
AgBQ-00
AG
Hey. We won a series against the mariners!!
jtstanley4621
AG
I gotta say: I know we're not there yet by any means but I feel better about the coming years for this team than I have in a long time. We can absolutely cobble together a few decent players from the young guys we have up playing right now, and it feels like legitimate help is on the way in the next few years.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Let's go get ringworm, SD GM hates him...cheapest he'll ever be
(kidding...kind of)

WestTexasAg
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I gotta say: I know we're not there yet by any means but I feel better about the coming years for this team than I have in a long time. We can absolutely cobble together a few decent players from the young guys we have up playing right now, and it feels like legitimate help is on the way in the next few years.
Yep, I agree. Keys are continued development of the young talent, and acquiring some more starting pitching in free agency.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Haven't seen it to confirm, but heard that Baseball America now has Evan Carter ranked as the Ranger's #1 prospect....ahead of Leiter, Jung, Rocker, etc.

Interesting if true. He's had a heck of a year in high A for a 19 yr old. Was 2 for 4 last night with a double & a stolen base.
https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1021/texas-rangers/

1. Evan Carter (OF-A+ - 19): 90G, .282, .377 OBP, 10 HR, 10 3B, 23 SB, 11 CS, 69 SO, 51 BB
2. Josh Jung - 3B
3. Ezequiel Duran - 2B
4. Jack Leiter (RHP-AA-22): His last 4G - 4GS, 3.66 ERA, 1.220 WHIP, 19.2 IP, 13 H, 17 SO, 11 BB
5. Owen White (RHP-AA-22): His last 4G - 4GS, 2.49 ERA, 1.062 WHIP, 21.2 IP, 19 H, 23 SO, 4 BB

Put me in the camp that said the 2020 draft was a bust for the Rangers... a throw-away... and that drafting guys like Carter showed a lack of effort by the Rangers.

Also, I know people hate free-passes, but I'd rather a SP give up a BB than a HR. Both count equally in WHIP, but obviously a BB hurts less.
rbtexan
S

Quote:

Put me in the camp that said the 2020 draft was a bust for the Rangers... a throw-away... and that drafting guys like Carter showed a lack of effort by the Rangers.

Wait a minute....so drafting a player in the 2nd round - who literally no other teams had ranked that high - who is now the #1 prospect in your system showed a "lack of effort"?

I don't have words to articulate what a horrible take that is. I think they should've taken Jordan Walker in the 1st instead of Foscue, but criticizing the Carter pick looks incredibly foolish at this point. The kid is a stud.
Jimbo Franchione
DannyDuberstein
AG
He's confessing he was wrong about how he assessed their approach in 2020. Not doubling down
Jimmy McNulty
AG
He meant he criticized it at the time and he was wrong.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Quote:

Wait a minute....so drafting a player in the 2nd round - who literally no other teams had ranked that high - who is now the #1 prospect in your system showed a "lack of effort"?

I don't have words to articulate what a horrible take that is. I think they should've taken Jordan Walker in the 1st instead of Foscue, but criticizing the Carter pick looks incredibly foolish at this point. The kid is a stud.
If you were in the camp that liked these picks when they were made, you were likely the only person:

1.14 Foscue... the 32nd rated player whom most saw as a Util guy
2.50 Carter... an unrated guy, unknown player whom most thought was an absurd pick
3.86 Roby... a guy rated 144
4.115 MacLean... a guy rated 195
5.145 Saggese... another unrated guy

If YOU didn't view that as a completely throw-away draft when it happened, you could be the one person who still had faith in the Rangers.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/prospects/texas-rangers-2020-mlb-draft-full-recap
Quote:

If you were watching the 2020 MLB Draft on MLB Network, there's a word you might have heard several times regarding the Texas Rangers 2020 draft class.

"Puzzling."
https://theathletic.com/3166169/2022/03/09/checking-in-with-the-texas-rangers-memorable-2020-draft-class/

Quote:

ESPN prospect guru Kiley McDaniel openly admitted he'd never heard of the Rangers' second-round pick, and the other reviews weren't much more optimistic: "… a draft class I'm trying to understand," "puzzling," and "… interesting, to say the least" were some of the ways others on the broadcast described the second day of picks.
Was I wrong? Yes. That was the point I made. Kudos to the Rangers if Carter becomes the hype he has become.
rbtexan
S
Here's my take on the '20 draft. You got a stud in Carter, a trade piece in Foscue, a bullpen arm in Roby (possibly starter), and Saggese who is raking in high A at age 20 (.308, 13HR, 55 RBI, 11 SB). MacLean is pitching OK but no way to project if he'll be a player yet or not.

The Rangers picked in the 14th slot, which isn't like they had a top 5 pick, so they weren't going to get one of the "can't miss" guys. As I said, I think the Foscue pick was a mistake. But Carter is poised to more than make up for that.

Also, if you follow player ratings at all, you know that they fluctuate wildly in regards to minor league prospects. So where players were ranked going into the draft isn't really a good barometer in many cases. Carter is now the #1 prospect in the system...Roby is around #12, Saggese around #25, and Foscue is #3 (totally overrated, IMO). That's getting some pretty good value in that draft. The only glaring miss (so far) is MacLean.

Lastly, and this is by far the most relevant point.....Chris Young was hired in December of 2020, after the draft that year. The past two drafts, under his watch, have been pretty solid IMO. JD stepping to the background is going to wind up being a big reason why I think they get it turned around.
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Foscue has been hitting a lot better since July, but I agree, we need to cash in on his value within the next 6 months or so. He's a top 50ish prospect in baseball, which is kinda wild considering how limited he is in the field. Go get some more outfielders and pitchers.
dave94
AG
bmac_aggie18
AG
Chris Woodward Fired
MSFC Aggie
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, was not expecting that.
gigem1223
Thank GOD!
Mr Gigem
AG
WOW
Proposition Joe
Not that it's any guarantee, but I'd say that means we're likely going to make a significant play during free agency and mgmt decided no reason to start what they expect to be a playoff season with a coach they likely don't see as their future manager.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Surprised it happened during the season, but he was never going to be here when this team started trying to compete.
Legal Custodian
AG
Very odd to do it during the season right after a weekend series win. Wonder if there was a disagreement behind the scenes that sparked this. Maybe about bringing up and playing young kids?
AgBQ-00
AG
Just got the notification. We fired Woody!!??!!!
alvtimes
roster has sucked and they lost on purpose.....sign 2 free agent names and get mad at manager for not winning now!!! O well guess you cant fire the owners!
hawk1689
AG
Fired after a series win. Must have refused to do something.
gigem1223
Now maybe we won't have to see Miller/ Culberson/ Calhoun every night.
gigem1223
Lots of rumors on the interwebs around Michael Young potentially being the new manager.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Wow! Was not expecting Woody to get fired mid-season. Who is the interim manager? Donnie Ecker?
Tksymm7
AG
Ultimately I think Woodward was just a guy, and that's probably what's getting him canned. Plus Chris Young likely wants to choose his own guy.
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 132

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.