Visiting Yankee Stadium/NYC

1,818 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rlcoker
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
most likely headed that way this summer. For those who've been where is the best location to stay in terms of seeing the sites and ease of getting to the field? Any tips for navigating the city and general advice on the trip?

ETA: will possibly hit up Citi field as well
DallasAg 94
The Porkchop Express
Taking the subway is a great experience. I went with friends in 2008 to see the old stadium before they knocked it over, and Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe was on the same car and talked with us the whole way there.

It's not a common attraction, but I would 100% recommend the Ground Zero Museum Workshop in the meatpacking district.

https://groundzeromuseumworkshop.org/index.html

it's run by the guy who was the official photographer of the 9/11 recovery project. His level of access was unparalleled and there are lots of artifacts in the museum that will impact you in ways you will not expect.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TXAggie2011
AG
I also was last at Yankee Stadium in 2008 at the old ballpark. I've not been to the new one yet so I can't help much on that. I know the new place is "different", but I'd still get there a little early so you can explore the park, go check out the monuments, etc. That stuff definitely got busy and crowded in the old park, not sure about the new one.

There's some good sports bars around the area. Stan's and some others.

Taking the subway to the game is definitely cool...the energy will start to build as more and more fans in Yankees gear fill up the cars. Beats the hell out of twiddling your thumbs sitting in traffic (and is a lot cheaper!) If you ever go to a game in D.C., take the subway down to the stadium, too.

As far as where to stay...Midtown is certainly a good, well, "middle" area that won't make it hard to get anywhere. I'd check out some food options in some of the ethnic enclaves on top of some of the fancy NYC dining options (Chinatown downtown, etc. If you're feeling moved, Little Ukraine is in the East Village area. A place called Veselka is good stuff without breaking the bank.)
The Lost
Def take the subway to the game. It's an experience, but old yankee stadium was cooler, it's more like Jerry world now to me.

Personally enjoyed citi field way more.
bigjag19
AG
Stay in Manhattan, put yourself near a station. From there just ride trains everywhere. I prefer east side myself closer to Grand Central.
Ag_07
AG
We went in 2016 to see the Stros and Yanks opening day.

There's a really cool Yankee museum somewhere in the upper levels that's free prior to game time. It's small but it's worth it. Some really cool stuff up there.
Ag4life80
AG
We went in'16. Our son was working in DC, so we flew there and drove up to Gettysburg, and then on to the Baseball HOF the next day. The following day we drove to Westchester County, where we commuted back and forth into NYC. We saw Kuechel pitch in Yankee Stadium. Honestly, the venue itself was nothing special, but it's still Yankee Stadium. The 9-11 museum is a must visit, ate at Carmine's one night off of Times Square, and a pizza place at the Brooklyn bridge.
WestTexasAg
AG
The Lost said:

Def take the subway to the game. It's an experience, but old yankee stadium was cooler, it's more like Jerry world now to me.

Personally enjoyed citi field way more.
Got to go to a game at old Yankee Stadium the last year it was open (2008). It was a fun experience. Took the subway from Manhattan. Everyone was chanting/singing, etc. Even the cops as we got off of the subway in the Bronx.

Didn't hurt that they happened to be playing the Red Sox.
BCSWguru
Yankee Stadium was underwhelming, but we still went because we were there. Take the train, it drops off basically right next to the stadium. Also keep the Mets in mind, it was a much more fun experience and also has a train drop off directly next to the stadium.
Coog97
same deal... stayed in Manhattan and took the train. Easy way to go.

We were there in '03 for the six-pitcher no-no...

Ihatefallscounty
AG
Trains pretty easy, or subway-My Father in law is from New York so he drove us. My experiences in New York are going to be way different anyways.

Citifields alot better experience imo. but it is cool to stand at the old plate though. Old Yankee stadiums home plate still stands across the streeet from new yankee stadium.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
AustinCountyAg
whats the best/easiest way to get from airport to hotel in Manhattan? Taxi I am assuming?
TAM85
taxi
The Milkman
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

whats the best/easiest way to get from airport to hotel in Manhattan? Taxi I am assuming?
Regardless of which airport, a cab will be the best bet. And in NYC they are typically cheaper than ubers
bluefire579
AG
It's a bit of a drive, but if you have a full day to spend, I highly recommend taking the trip up to Cooperstown. Lots of great scenery along the way, nice little town, and the Hall of Fame is just outstanding to visit
The Milkman
AG
I just booked an amtrak ticket up from baltimore for a June day game when the stros play the mets. Excited to see Citi
The Porkchop Express
bluefire579 said:

It's a bit of a drive, but if you have a full day to spend, I highly recommend taking the trip up to Cooperstown. Lots of great scenery along the way, nice little town, and the Hall of Fame is just outstanding to visit
Visited Cooperstown in '99 shortly after Nolan, Young, Fisk, and Brett were inducted. My best friend and I were in the museum for 8 hours straight. You cannot miss it.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Rlcoker
AG
A buddy and I are headed there in late June to watch the Astros play the Yankees and Mets. Also going to Cooperstown. I'm so excited.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.