***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,311,585 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GigEmMortis said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Jeremy Pena's post-season numbers extrapolated to a full 162 game season.

150 runs scored
249 hits
62 doubles
50 home runs
100 RBI
.345 BA
.367 OBP
.638 SLG
1.005 OPS

So those are my minimum expectations for him in 2022. You got this, JP!

Goodness. Really puts into perspective just how good he was this postseason.
He hit .391 for the LCS and WS.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
irish pete ag06
AG
It seems to me that while Cranr had the final day, Dusty's input had major sway on this.

Said he didn't want a guy who felt like he needed to play every day. Dusty was thinking about the clubhouse psyche and didn't want Contreras to be a malcontent if he was splitting with Maldy.
Farmer1906
AG
If you add the postseason to Pena & Yuli, their OPS jumps from .715 & .647 to .746 & 667.

For comparison, other SS with something close to .746:
Bobby Witt Jr - .722 (passes him for top rookie)
Willy Adames - .756
Corey Seager - .776 (not quote at the level of a 300 M player)

For comparison, other SS with something close to .667:
Jesus Aguilar - .661 (Yuli is no longer the lowest qualified 1B)
Carlos Santana - .692
Trey Mancini - .710 (closed the gap a little vs Boom Boom - even closer if you include Trey's postseason)

Yordan goes from a very good 37 to a very cool 40 dongs with playoffs added. He & Bregs also crossed the 100 mark for RBIs going from 97 to 111 & 93 to 104, but Tucker stays ahead of both going from 107 to 113.

n_touch
Good morning everyone. Everything is ready to go, email me or pm me for links.
Cromagnum
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This weakass retort. LOL. In a 60 game goofass covid season they are "WS champs"

AustinCountyAg
Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

Rizzo going to cost north of $20mm. pass.
agree, we have internal options for 1B, LF, CF and C. Hell our biggest problem is figuring out what to do with absurd amount of high end starting pitching we have.

Solidify the bullpen, resign JV and lets go get another one
ummm who are these internal options?

Brantley, Yuli, Trey M all are FA's....

Yes, Yordan can play LF, but not every game.

ETA: I'd be okay with yordan/brantley splitting time between LF/DH, however, Astros still need to solidify 1B. As much as I love yuli I think it is time for him to go, unless he agrees to a dirt cheap deal.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

It seems to me that while Cranr had the final day, Dustin's input had major sway on this.

Said he didn't want a guy who felt like he needed to play every day. Dusty was thinking about the clubhouse psyche and didn't want Contreras to be a malcontent if he was splitting with Maldy.
Right, but Dusty's job should be to put out the best lineup and keep guys from acting out. Especially knowing how injured Maldy was. We should have been giving him tons of time off. Between splitting time at catcher & DHing he should have had plenty of ABs to stay happy. One thing to factor in, we thought Brantley still had a chance to be back. We didn't know DH would be such a huge hole.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

agree, we have internal options for 1B, LF, CF and C. Hell our biggest problem is figuring out what to do with absurd amount of high end starting pitching we have.

Technically Trey isn't yet. His decision has been made public yet. I agree. The options would be move Chas (Meyers or Pedro in CF), JJ, move a catcher (both played 1B some), and... Not sure who else.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

Technically Trey isn't yet. His decision has been made public yet. I agree. The options would be move Chas (Meyers or Pedro in CF), JJ, move a catcher (both played 1B some), and... Not sure who else.
those options sound terrible. Hell, it could be argued that Chas is very replaceable and shouldn't be "given" a starting role on this team.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Happy Parade Day World Champions!

Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

those options sound terrible. Hell, it could be argued that Chas is very replaceable and shouldn't be "given" a starting role on this team.
I agree the options are not great, but Chas should a lock as a starter. He's earned it unless you're going and getting Bryan Reynolds, but that aint happening.
Buck Compton
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

OPS+ of 107 and 110 in his first two years with plus defense… at the league minimum salary. Please explain how many teams get that from their 7, 8, or 9 hitter. He hasn't been given anything.

Some of you need to face the reality that not every hitter on the team is going to be an all star
aTm2004
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

How does this one rank for yall compared to 2017? I am not nearly as emotional, this one was more based on spite and shutting people up for me. We were clearly the best team, and proved it. 2017 was something I thought would absolutely never happen.
I'll be the first to admit I don't follow the Astros or baseball like many of you. Aggie/College Football is my #1 team/sport and I don't see that changing. When we finally win a National Championship, I'll probably breakdown and have a good ugly cry. But I do love this team and always have. There's just something about baseball. For our first anniversary, my wife checked off a bucket list item of mine, which was going to watch the Astros in Wrigley. We lost, as we usually did in 2012, but I will never forget that game.

That said, 2017 will always be the best for me because the Astros have been my favorite professional team my whole life. I remember going to the dome with my parents and sitting in the rainbow seats to watch the Astros, and the day I went with my Cub Scout den and we got to sit about 10 rows up from the outfield wall, it felt like we were a part of the rich folks being so close. I remember being in Dirty's (RIP) and seeing that we had traded Glen Davis to the Orioles and being sad because of it. Watching the classic matchups with the Braves in the 90's with my football coaches during school is something I'll never forget. We got so close in '05 only to do what Houston sports does when it matters. So finally being able to have a championship after so long and so many years of just not quite having it will never be topped. Couple that with the city rallying around the franchise after Harvey, and it couldn't have been written any better.

For me, 2022 was about shutting the ignorant fans up, and doing so in dominant fashion. For Bregman, Yuli, Verlander, LMJ, and most of all, Altuve, to give a "**** you" to those same fans by just winning is everything this franchise and city is now. The **** they went through the past few seasons brought that team as close as they can be and rallied an entire city around them. 2017 was a WS Championship for the city. 2022 was a WS Championship for themselves.
Beat40
Buck Compton said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

OPS+ of 107 and 110 in his first two years with plus defense… at the league minimum salary. Please explain how many teams get that from their 7, 8, or 9 hitter. He hasn't been given anything.

Some of you need to face the reality that not every hitter on the team is going to be an all star

And he's growing as a player. If he can work this offseason and the next couple of years to cut down the strikeouts, I think we'll really like what the Astros have on him.
AustinCountyAg
Buck Compton said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

hence the words "could be argued"....I never said I don't like him playing in the outfield.

What I would like to see is an outfield of Alvarez, Chas/Meyer/someone else?, and Tucker in RF......then Josh Bell at 1B
All I do is Nguyen
Doyers getting rid of errbody
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
FrioAg 00
AG
The 2022 team was dominant, due mainly to a combination of clutch hitting and record breaking pitching.

I think we need to be pretty serious about making the offense better, because if we add some real batting strength at 1b, OF and Catcher we could get a lot better as a team. Like one of the all time greatest teams.

I don't want us the break the bank because we will want to keep guys like Pena for a long time, but I sure hope we're locked in to get better at a few key positions.
concac
AG
Have any of you Google'd "Houston Astros" yet?

Should do it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I wouldnt be shocked to see Korey move to first with Yanier coming into his own
Wabs
AG
Assuming a local station will stream the parade for us out-of-towners?
Bag
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

ETA: I'd be okay with yordan/brantley splitting time between LF/DH, however, Astros still need to solidify 1B. As much as I love yuli I think it is time for him to go, unless he agrees to a dirt cheap deal.
CF: Drew Gilbert
LF: Pedro Leon
1B: Yainer Diaz
C: Korey Lee / Maldy

IMO Gilbert is already a better option than Chas, dont get me wrong I love Chas but he is a 4th OF at best
Quad Dog
AG
Great article about Alex Cintron and Aledmys Diaz saw a problem with Alvarez's hand position before game 6 and called him into the cage to make the adjustment.
Quote:

Early on Saturday, before Game 6, Cintrn scoured video from June, when lvarez hit .418 with a 1.346 OPS, and he realized that the player's hands had dropped, making it harder for him to get to the fastball. He called in Daz, whose eye he trusts on such things and who sometimes helps him communicate with other players.
"You know what?" Daz said. "You're right."
Cintrn texted Alvarez: I found something. Come to the cage.
Initially, Alvarez was unsure. He believed the problem still resided in his lower half.
"Yordan, do you trust me?" Cintrn asked.
"Yes," Alvarez said.
"Then give me five swings in the cage and see how you feel. If you don't like it, then you change it."
It didn't take five swings. Alvarez felt the change immediately. Daz and Cintrn saw it. They all knew what it meant: "Game over," said Cintrn later, dripping with an unholy brew of Bud Heavy, Michelob Ultra and Korbel. "I was so pumped," he said. "I told the front-office guys, the player of the game is going to be Yordan Alvarez."

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/06/yordan-alvarez-world-series-home-run-batting-cage-session
BayAg_14
Wabs said:

Assuming a local station will stream the parade for us out-of-towners?
Yes, ABC13 will have a live stream.
MarathonAg12
RealTalk said:

Should do it.

gambochaman
AG
n_touch said:

Good morning everyone. Everything is ready to go, email me or pm me for links.
N touch, how do we email you good sir?

thanks!
agdaddy04
AG
RealTalk said:

Should do it.

That's pretty cool. My head went straight for cheating articles, so didn't expect that.
Beat40
All I do is Nguyen said:

Trea Turner is going to cost so. much. money.
Buck Compton
AG
Buck Compton said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bag said:

BMX Bandit said:

Further, Diaz is gone next year. We have Dubon for the utility role, and he's also your 5th OF. Chas, Tucker, Dubon, Meyers (healthy hopefully), Alvarez are likely your 5 OF.

IF goes to 1B (unknown), Altuve, Peña, Bregman, Maldy, backup catcher (likely one of the rookies). Add Hensley to the mix, and there's really only one spot left for potential OF support, because that's already 12 guys. And you have to remember Leon is still in AAA, so if they think he's the real deal, then you're looking at a 1 year deal. Unless you find a trade partner for Meyers (which I think is a mistake).

You get your regular season bat upgrade from 1B this year. I would be down to get Brantley back for a 1-year deal if he would take it to be that last roster spot.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Yes.. Wearing a Astros hat.
McInnis
AG
Beat40 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Kershaw? That's not misprint. Wow
agdaddy04
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Yes.. Wearing a Astros hat.

We still had no idea what was going on with this post. Guessing you're talking about work zoom/teams calls and you're wearing the hat?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
McInnis said:

Beat40 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Kershaw? That's not misprint. Wow
A lot of those guys aren't released, they're free agents. "released" is a term used loosely there.
Prosperdick
AG

If you'd like to see how jomboy and company called the 6th inning this is their entire live watch. To go to the start of the bottom half of the 6th inning go almost right at 2 hours. If you just want their dejected reaction to Yordan go to 2:12:00.

Couple of notes. During the 6th Jomboy is trying to order ice cream online for everyone. What a dork.

On Maldy getting hit they were mostly fair. I expected for them to bellyache but they mostly gave him props.

Back to the ice cream, Jomboy thinks him checking out online for the ice cream order caused Yordan's bomb. OK buddy, I hope every time you eat ice cream for the rest of your life it tastes like ashes in your mouth (the ashes from the ball Yordan ****ING SMOKED!!!)
BMX Bandit
Quote:

IMO Gilbert is already a better option than Chas,
spadilly
S
You should be set!

https://www.khou.com/article/sports/mlb/world-series/how-to-watch-the-astros-parade/285-282bd233-ee76-462a-875b-874c6b7fbc54
First Page Last Page
Page 2355 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.