***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,873 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gigemJTH12 said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

Up 3-2 in the World Series with a combined no/no and 2 runs last night and you want to find something to complain about Dusty and his pitcher management
series aint over.

again...I hope it doesnt matter.

this team will win the WS bc of General Managment, not in game management.

like how DH is a ZERO and it should be Vazquez. but we cant bc we carried Will Smith instead of a 3rd catcher.

very simple managerial decision.

Dusty could come out and give the exact reasons Stanek hasn't been used as much and you'd still call it mismanagement. It's been discussed over, and over, and over, and no answer seems acceptable.

I will say I do think his fastball will play, but it's the walks that are scary.

You also think management figured Mancini and Diaz would completely crater? You're looking at it on the backside now that it hasn't worked and Monday morning quarterbacking.
mwm
I love Mancini's humility. You don't see that very often in the world of sports.
Cromagnum
AG
Panama Red
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

like how DH is a ZERO and it should be Vazquez. but we cant bc we carried Will Smith instead of a 3rd catcher.

You think the manager sets the post season roster? How excited are you going to be if Astros lose and you can gloat about how much Dusty cost us the world series?
you think the manager doesnt have the biggest say in how he wants to manage the game?

I like how you avoided my question and then threw out a strawman. Well done.

Beat40
gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

You think the manager sets the post season roster? How excited are you going to be if Astros lose and you can gloat about how much Dusty cost us the world series?
you think the manager doesnt have the biggest say in how he wants to manage the game?

For this team, no, I don't think the manager has the biggest say. I do think they both agreed they didn't need a third catcher because they didn't believe both Mancini and Diaz would crater. Maybe one, but not both.
Wabs
AG
Said it last night - if that's all we get from Mancini, the trade was worth it. He's an incredibly good person and I'm happy to see him contribute somehow, some way.
3B Paul 97
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

LB12Diamond said:

I have a random question. So the play at first. He was holding the runner on and just stayed there which helped him make the play. Is that what Yuli would have done prior to the hit? I am just used to 1st baseman bouncing off first a little more with the pitch.
In that situation, you'll almost always be playing on the line. Especially with Schwarber's ability to pull the ball hard.

Mancini noted this. Said Schwarber pulls a lot and you have to defend the line with the lead run on first with 2 outs. He also said you are like a hockey goalie in that situation.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Carrabis' podcast discussing game 6 and if the Phillies will call for a foreign substance check on Framber
BMX Bandit
thinking dusty should use one reliever over another is all a great discussion. but when you break out the "managerial malpractice" line given the results so far, it shows you are just looking for things to complain about an really shouldn't be taken seriously
Big Al 1992
AG
spadilly said:

rgt99 said:

Verlander is fired up, lol

JV's postgame interview was some of the best baseball talk I've heard. I could listen to JV talk for hours.

He loves this team. And knows if he has any chance to get to 300 this is one of the only places that will help him get there. Can't see him not being here next year.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

For this team, no, I don't think the manager has the biggest say. I do think they both agreed they didn't need a third catcher because they didn't believe both Mancini and Diaz would crater. Maybe one, but not both.
That's part of it. The other part is that there's 0.00000% chance that Astros were going put themselves in position to have to roll Yanier Diaz behind the plate for a few innings in the biggest games of the year. Starting Vazquez at DH was never ever ever ever ever (etc) going to be an option.
gigemJTH12
AG
BMX Bandit said:

thinking dusty should use one reliever over another is all a great discussion. but when you break out the "managerial malpractice" line given the results so far, it shows you are just looking for things to complain about an really shouldn't be taken seriously
yeah it may have been the wrong phrase to use.

but we aren't talking about a borderline good reliever. the numbers speak for themselves. its just crazy.

I am done with the negative talk. I am not even a regular on this thread.

sorry yall.

GO STROS.
JohnnyTexAg1995
wmitchell said:

I love thinking about the difference between Chas being willing to run through the wall vs Nelson Cruz in the Rangers WS in 2011… and that would've won it for them.

One more win!!!!

Also we talk about defense, watch Chase's compared to Altuves triple. Obviously 1 inning compared to 9th inning but the ball was the same height up the wall, and marsh just let it hit off the wall and then fumbled the ball which leads to an infield in single to score a run.

Our guys sold out on Defense last night!
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Carrabis' podcast discussing game 6 and if the Phillies will call for a foreign substance check on Framber

I was thinking about that. I think if he's rolling they will to try and get in his head. I also think they could possibly ask the umps to make him stop switching gloves.

I kinda think he should go to the umps before he pitches each inning and show his hands and glove to them. Haha.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

That's part of it. The other part is that there's 0.00000% chance that Astros were going put themselves in position to have to roll Yanier Diaz behind the plate for a few innings in the biggest games of the year. Starting Vazquez at DH was never ever ever ever ever (etc) going to be an option.

Exactly. You said it better than me.
fatdad84ag
AG
Can we get "El Oso Blanco" to DH Saturday??
iamtheglove
Aston 91 said:

tjack16 said:

Had to pick up a copy of the Chronicle today! What a cover

As impressive as that catch was watching it live, it just gets better every time I watch it. The distance he had to cover, the timing of the jump, and the awareness of the fence - all in the most pressure-packed situation imaginable.
Agree, and add in the fact that it was a backhand catch. If Chas is a righty that play is a fair bit easier with the glove on the left hand. In a series filled with great moments, this one may reign supreme.
gigemJTH12
AG
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

if thats true then fine.

I completely disagree with the risk management there but nothing I will get upset about.
cone
AG
Deluxe
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

if thats true then fine.

I completely disagree with the risk management there but nothing I will get upset about.
Fair enough. We're all friends here. Go Stros.
JohnnyTexAg1995
AustinAg2K said:

BCSGrubber said:

maca1028 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This is a good one to watch, even if you've never watched Ben before

My allergies are killing me

All his talk about his daughter and perspective makes me think that he may hang it up after the season. Look at how he lights up talking about his family. Compare that to Brady trying to hang on and losing his family.

1. He has said multiple times, very recently, that he plans on pitching until they take his glove away from him.

2. Baseball is much less dangerous than football. You don't really have to worry about CTE and stuff from baseball.

3. (And this is probably the most important one) Kate doesn't seem to be as big of a ***** as Gisele.

For real! Kate was sitting behind the dugout going nuts for her hubby with the crazy ass phillie fans! You think Gisele would ever lower herself to come lower than the suites haha
amercer
AG
Clearly need to plunk him next time up
MAROON
AG
cone said:

game is over

I'm lying in bed trying to sleep

adrenaline is still way up, heart rate is probably 110 bpm, chest pounding

I didn't do anything at all other than watch

I'd likely piss down my leg if I was where Pressly was

Zero chance I can fall asleep after a game like that. I had two stiff bourbons and a bowl of warm apple crumble with vanilla ice cream. That did the trick.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
htxag09
AG
iamtheglove said:

Aston 91 said:

tjack16 said:

As impressive as that catch was watching it live, it just gets better every time I watch it. The distance he had to cover, the timing of the jump, and the awareness of the fence - all in the most pressure-packed situation imaginable.
Agree, and add in the fact that it was a backhand catch. If Chas is a righty that play is a fair bit easier with the glove on the left hand. In a series filled with great moments, this one may reign supreme.
Also take note of lollygagging Tucker....he busted ass and was actually in pretty good position to back the play up
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

I had two stiff bourbons and a bowl of warm apple crumble with vanilla ice cream. That did the trick
You sound like me. Countless whiskies and eating everything in sight. We all have our vices.
The Porkchop Express
AG
This faux Twitter generator is my new favorite time waster.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
3 Toed Pete
AG
bearkatag15 said:

That's a long way from the days of Club Astro. I guess that died with Springer leaving.
jetch17
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
htxag09
AG
3 Toed Pete said:

bearkatag15 said:

That's a long way from the days of Club Astro. I guess that died with Springer leaving.

I just want to see video of them treating JV like a rookie and running him through the showers…..
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Wabs said:

Said it last night - if that's all we get from Mancini, the trade was worth it. He's an incredibly good person and I'm happy to see him contribute somehow, some way.

It's crazy how that happens. As a fan you are frustrated watching it and complaining about the management making a decision to bring a guy in. That is until that player makes a single huge play in a huge moment. The most unlikely player to make that huge play. Then it's all worth it.
iamtheglove
htxag09 said:

iamtheglove said:

Aston 91 said:

tjack16 said:

Also take note of lollygagging Tucker....he busted ass and was actually in pretty good position to back the play up
Indeed I did. I was the dumbass that originally called him a lollygagger which amazingly has become a meme on this thread. So every time Tuck does something great (or even pretty good) I reflect on my misdeed.
PhatMack19
AG
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

Vazquez could move from DH to catch if Maldy got hurt. It would just burn the DH and turn into old school National League baseball with double switches and all that fun stuff.
htxag09
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

Vazquez could move from DH to catch if Maldy got hurt. It would just burn the DH and turn into old school National League baseball with double switches and all that fun stuff.

With our awesome pool of pinch hitters….
First Page Last Page
Page 2259 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.