***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,686 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
MosesHallRAB04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LB12Diamond said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

The narrative, it appears, is going ot be the constant reminders of losing to the Nats in 2019. It is all I ma hearing about this morning across all major sports news outlets.

This season has been about shutting down those kind of narratives. That's the last one on the list to shut down.

Phillies don't have Strasburg and Scherzer in the chamber.

Exactly

We have the pitching this time!

That said I'm still nervous. The hey just need to do what they can do. Win in Saturday and don't give them a chance.
LB12Diamond
AG
I have a random question. So the play at first. He was holding the runner on and just stayed there which helped him make the play. Is that what Yuli would have done prior to the hit? I am just used to 1st baseman bouncing off first a little more with the pitch.
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

We've barely used Stanek all postseason. Two reasons for that I'm assuming.

- What we're doing has worked

its worked but there have been multiple very very close calls against our pen including like 3 warning track catches.

There is no excuse for not pitching Stanek more.

1.15 ERA over 50+ innings is not up for debate.

if we win it will never be talked about again. but if we lose and its bc Stanek comes in and gets shelled after so much inactivity , or if he still doesnt pitch and the other guys get shelled for being seen too much, this will be one of the biggest reasons.
The Porkchop Express
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I have a random question. So the play at first. He was holding the runner on and just stayed there which helped him make the play. Is that what Yuli would have done prior to the hit? I am just used to 1st baseman bouncing off first a little more with the pitch.
Yuli might have moved a bit off the bag but probably still makes the play. But either way they would have been holding the runner on, and that made the difference between an inning-ending out and an RBI double.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Gordo14
gigemJTH12 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

its worked but there have been multiple very very close calls against our pen including like 3 warning track catches.

if we win it will never be talked about again. but if we lose and its bc Stanek comes in and gets shelled after so much inactivity , or if he still doesnt pitch and the other guys get shelled for being seen too much, this will be one of the biggest reasons.

I mean he pitched in game 3.
texasaggie2015
AG
LB12Diamond said:

In that situation, you'll almost always be playing on the line. Especially with Schwarber's ability to pull the ball hard.
Texas A&M
Does anyone else catch MLB Central in the mornings? I just discovered it during the ALCS. On days that I'm working from home I record it and try to watch the first 15-20 minutes. I'm not a big enough baseball fan to watch it during the regular season, but for the playoff it is a great show. Two interesting points from this morning....
- Many of y'all might know it, but I didn't realize that McCormick was such a good basketball player in HS (1000 pt scorer).
- The main guy on the show was talking how he really thinks that playing multiple sports in your youth (vs just specializing) really helps in baseball.
McInnis
AG
During the season people are always posting the percent probabilities of a defensive play being made but haven't seen that for Chas's catch. Has anyone seen it?
Red Five
AG
LB12Diamond said:

With Schwarber batting they would have had him shifted and the 1B would have hugged the line to take away the double.
LB12Diamond
AG
Thanks!

I love things going our way for once. This is a fun team to watch!
Wabs
AG
Texas A&M
gigemJTH12
AG
Gordo14 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I mean he pitched in game 3.
2 batters in a blowout.

if you dont realize that thats worlds different than high leverage spots idk what to tell you.

he hasnt pitched high leverage in either of the last two series.

cant remember his Seattle appearance. but the NYY and PHI appearances were meaningless and short.

3 innings pitched in a month for Stanek is managerial malpractice.
texasaggie2015
AG
And I really think it's his tendency to allow baserunners.
texasaggie2015
AG
Quote:

Don't think you can consider it malpractice when the bullpen is a huge part of the reason we have a 3-2 lead in the World Series.
The Porkchop Express
AG
My wife and both kids are all home sick witih a fever and a virus so I won't be getting to the Texans/Astros parlay results anytime soon BTW.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

our relievers have been dominant. malPRacTICe!!!!!!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Up 3-2 in the World Series with a combined no/no and 2 runs last night and you want to find something to complain about Dusty and his pitcher management
Panama Red
AG
Last I saw bullpen had playoff ERA of 0.88 and WHIP of 0.78.

And people still find a reason to complain and look for a reason to hate Dusty.

These really are great times to be an Astro fan when that is what people complain about.
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

Don't think you can consider it malpractice when the bullpen is a huge part of the reason we have a 3-2 lead in the World Series.
the XBA in a lot of those innings would disagree. Seattle, NYY and PHI have all had warning track shots against the pen that were blistered and would have changed the complexion of the year.

Its baseball...these things happen.

but Stanek is very good and has pitched in bigger moments than a lot of these guys. Not using him is absurd.

I hope it doesnt matter.
cone
AG
just off the top of my head it's hard to remember someone being so completely locked in for so long as Schwarber is right now

maybe George in 2017

every at-bat it seems

he's incredible
gigemJTH12
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Up 3-2 in the World Series with a combined no/no and 2 runs last night and you want to find something to complain about Dusty and his pitcher management
series aint over.

again...I hope it doesnt matter.

this team will win the WS bc of General Managment, not in game management.

like how DH is a ZERO and it should be Vazquez. but we cant bc we carried Will Smith instead of a 3rd catcher.

very simple managerial decision.
Cromagnum
AG
OnlyForNow said:

You mean Green Sally up....

All the same, I don't want to hear it enough to know the correct lyrics.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

like how DH is a ZERO and it should be Vazquez. but we cant bc we carried Will Smith instead of a 3rd catcher.

You think the manager sets the post season roster? How excited are you going to be if Astros lose and you can gloat about how much Dusty cost us the world series?
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

And I really think it's his tendency to allow baserunners.

It absolutely is. And as we saw in the 8th last night, walks are a big freaking deal.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Panama Red said:

Last I saw bullpen had playoff ERA of 0.88 and WHIP of 0.78.

And people still find a reason to complain and look for a reason to hate Dusty.

These really are great times to be an Astro fan when that is what people complain about.

The bullpen is part of the reason the Stros couldn't get it done in the seasons after 2017. They've had good but not great bullpens. Props to the Astros for seeing the problem and putting together a truly elite and deep bullpen for this season.
mwm
Seems pretty simple but Pena, Pressley, Mancini & McCormick may very well have saved the entire season last night.
gigemJTH12
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

You think the manager sets the post season roster? How excited are you going to be if Astros lose and you can gloat about how much Dusty cost us the world series?
you think the manager doesnt have the biggest say in how he wants to manage the game?

Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Big Al 1992
AG
Great great article! So happy for Mancini!

" "That was an unbelievable play," said third baseman Alex Bregman as he named Mancini the player of the game amid raucous cheering. "To come in off the bench and do itit changed the game."

"Thank you for bearing with me," Mancini told them. "I wasn't exactly expecting to do it with the glove, but I'm glad to come through in some way."

And this is why we keep Espada at all costs

" In the dugout, Espada got Mancini's attention and motioned for him to move two steps closer to the bag. They needed to prevent a doubleSegura is fast enough to score from first and give the Phillies the leadand they knew Schwarber would try to pull a ball for a home run. "I saw the spin on Pressly," Espada said, "So I'm like, 'Dude, just stay on that line.'"
texasaggie2015
AG
We're up 3-2, the bullpen has been lights out, we won 2 of 3 on the road and we're still whining about Dusty?

Come on... it's worked so far. One win away. Finish them.
bearkatag15
AG

Big Al 1992
AG
Buck Compton
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

series aint over.

again...I hope it doesnt matter.

this team will win the WS bc of General Managment, not in game management.

Wait, you think Dusty chose the roster??

And I'm a huge Dusty critic, but he has been great this postseason. He left Montero in one batter too long yesterday, but thankfully Pressly came in and dragged his nuts to save the game.

My only caveat is I think it's time to no longer pitch Montero and Stanek/Brown could definitely be used in those situations.
AustinAg2K
Texas A&M said:

Does anyone else catch MLB Central in the mornings? I just discovered it during the ALCS. On days that I'm working from home I record it and try to watch the first 15-20 minutes. I'm not a big enough baseball fan to watch it during the regular season, but for the playoff it is a great show. Two interesting points from this morning....
- Many of y'all might know it, but I didn't realize that McCormick was such a good basketball player in HS (1000 pt scorer).
- The main guy on the show was talking how he really thinks that playing multiple sports in your youth (vs just specializing) really helps in baseball.

Nearly every pro athlete excelled at multiple sports as a youth. If you're a great athlete, you're probably going to be good at everything ok the HS level.
First Page Last Page
Page 2258 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.