***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,315,359 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hopefully Vazquez is starting today.

Machete's magic touch for calling games, handling pitchers, (or whatever)...is not working too well against the Phillies
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Enjoy the fine Chas
Wabs
AG
Bats come alive tonight. Please.

jkag89
Take a closer look at the numbers. Yes JV has had some horrid starts in the World Series. He has also had very strong outings. Until this World Series his starts for the Astros have ranged from very good to competitive. It is lunacy IMO to shy away from starting him in Game 5. He certainly could **** the bed again but how do you not start likely Cy Young winner? .
amercer
AG
Got to dance with who bring ya.

Game 5 will either be an elimination game or a chance to go home up 3-2. Either way we should probably have our best available pitcher on the mound.
BMX Bandit
There's no real debate on whether to start JV or not.
spadilly
S
"When they talk bad about my boys, I go crazy, so that's just the way it is.
I'm a Houston Astro fan. I'm a Houston guy. To say that they beat us and rub that in, that's fine, but to talk about our guys character, that draws the line."

Texas A&M
You have to start JV. Now a shorter leash than normal would be ok too.
tjack16
AG
Here's how I think it'll go tonight

3-2 final score. A big homerun will win it.
gambochaman
AG
Can we get framber to teaCh JV the super saiyan meditation he was using in between innings a couple of years ago?
Deluxe
AG
W said:

I'm sure he will be. He's been catching Javier since we got him.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

W said:

I'm sure he will be. He's been catching Javier since we got him.
And he caught him in the ALCS. He will catch Javier tonight.
jkag89
BMX Bandit said:

I agree but there seems to be others on here that think otherwise or at least have already written off JV's start as a likely L.
Wabs
AG
jkag89 said:

BMX Bandit said:

I agree but there seems to be others on here that think otherwise or at least have already written off JV's start as a likely L.
Here's the deal. No doubt JV should start G5. However, Dusty has got to have shorter leash with him, ESPECIALLY if we're down 3-1.
Ag_07
AG
Dusty has had an awful WS. He's been nails so far but this WS has not been good for him.

He's managing like it's a weekday series against the Rangers in June.

It's the WS...No time to let guys work it out when they clearly don't have it.

We have the best BP in the entire league and he's not leveraging that strength.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Dusty has had an awful WS. He's been nails so far but this WS has not been good for him.

There's a reason he's never won a world series before...
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

True. This MUST change starting tonight.
Cheo
I don't feel very good at the moment but I know the light will break through the darkness. Astros winning tonight
bullard21k
AG
Dusty hasn't had to make hardly any tough decisions until the World Series bc his starters and bullpen guys were all throwing up goose eggs.

Not that hard to make decisions when you are just hitting the giant red button. When he has to start making tough decisions on the fly, mixing and matching players based upon poor outings, rainouts, spilts etc he has proven he's been poor at that his entire career and specifically his tenure here

Jaydoug
AG
Ag_07 said:

Mattered in Game 1. Wouldn't have mattered in Game 3
W
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Finished just 12 games above .500 (87-75)
2006 Cardinals won the World Series had a record of 83 - 78 and this is hardly the only team that won less than 90 games to win the Series.

yes, folks also have to remember that the Phillies played 38 games vs. the Braves (101-61) and Mets (101-61).

and went just 13-25 vs. those 2 teams. Philly was 74-50 against everybody else
Ag_07
AG
Hard to say

Who's to say that only being down 4 after 3 doesn't give our offense a bit more hope. Maybe they don't press as hard. Maybe Ranger doesn't attack as much and makes a mistake that get hit. Maybe new blood coming out of the pen invigorates the offense. Maybe a BP arm like Abreu stops the bleeding with some big pitches and take the crowd out.

Lot of what ifs but I do know for certain playing down by 4 is better than playing down by 7.
W
AG
and going further...the Phillies played 7 games vs. the Dodgers and 3 vs. the Astros.

so in total the Phillies played a whopping 48 games against 100-win teams.

they had a killer schedule in 2022
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I aint worried. stros roll. JFV shoves
Jet Black
Just win 1 out 2. How hard can it be?
htxag09
AG
I know I'm in the minority in general in regards to Dusty but have to disagree. It's easy as hell to manage in hindsight. But what y'all are doing is selectively choosing where Dusty was wrong and ignoring where he was right.

Game 1 against the Mariners. Most wanted JV out in the 2nd. He went 4.
Lots of questioning of who came in and when in Game 3 vs. the Mariners.
Lots of questioning of keeping JV in when he was 40+ pitches in in only the second inning of Game 1 vs. the Yankees. He went 6 and gave up 1 run.
Game 4 vs. the Yankees. Most of y'all would have pulled LMJ after 2. He went 5.
Game 1 vs. Phillies. Most here probably would have pulled him in the 4th; hindsight is that would have been the correct decision.

Yes we have the best bullpen in baseball. Part of that is because the depth our starters usually go.

LMJ had retired 6 in a row before the 5th. Yeah, I agree someone should have been warm and ready to come in a little earlier, but not like we were throwing him out there inning after inning of getting pounded, like most are implying. And most wanted him pulled in the second.

Again, look at the 5 scenarios above (ignoring game 3 vs. Mariners), including last night, Dusty sticking with his guys meant 12+ fewer innings the bullpen had to throw.....and up until the WS, every one of those were the right moves.

So, easy to criticize in hindsight. But comments like he's never had to manage until the WS are just wrong. There were decisions to be made, and this thread insulted Dusty at the time. You just forget about it when he's right.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Phillies are hot right now. That's the size of it. Maybe playing all those tough teams had them work out their problems and find their flow. Maybe it just took Harper this long to round into form and start mashing. Whatever it is, they're locked into what they're doing right now, which is being patient at the plate, playing good defense (mostly), and getting our guys to swing at the pitches that they want them swinging at.

Blaming the umps is stupid. We won 106 games, lost 56, and swept the ALDS and ALCS. The umps are against us?

The Astros are getting outplayed and outcoached. Dusty trusted Verlander and LMJ because of what they did in the regular season and they both got lit up.

The offense is the bigger problem. In the first two games, 5 runs each is great, but the bats went to sleep after the third inning in Game 1 and after the fifth inning in Game 2. In the 6th-9th (and the 10th in game 1) innings of the first 3 games (13 innings), the team has 0 runs.

If you pull that back to the 5th innings, the team has 2 runs total in 16 innings (5th-9th, 10th). For having such a ****ty bullpen, the Phillies' bullpen is dominating us.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Texas A&M
This explains a lot....

Beau Holder
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The offense is the bigger problem. In the first two games, 5 runs each is great, but the bats went to sleep after the third inning in Game 1 and after the fifth inning in Game 2. In the 6th-9th (and the 10th in game 1) innings of the first 3 games (13 innings), the team has 0 runs.

If you pull that back to the 5th innings, the team has 2 runs total in 16 innings (5th-9th, 10th). For having such a ****ty bullpen, the Phillies' bullpen is dominating us.
htxag09
AG
Deluxe
AG
Beau Holder said:

No. JV giving up a 5-0 lead and LMJ getting shelled for 7 =/= offense is the problem. I know you reeeeally want it to be though.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Deluxe said:

Beau Holder said:

No. JV giving up a 5-0 lead and LMJ getting shelled for 7 =/= offense is the problem. I know you reeeeally want it to be though.
What are you talking about?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Beau Holder
AG
No, I reaaallly want to win. Perhaps not as much as you want to sniff your own farts on a message board about how much better a fan you are.
Farmer1906
AG
Everyone knows I'm the best fan. I can show you the #s.
All I do is Nguyen
First Page Last Page
Page 2071 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.