***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,315,263 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Nino Brown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

Classic Philadelphia d-baggery, right up to, but not crossing the line.
Similar to the wearing jersey thing. I don't have a problem with HS or college kids talking smack to professional athletes.

IMHO, the line is crossed when it's a grown azz man with a job and a family talking smack to athletes. For me, it's cringe worthy and out of line regardless of what they say. At that point it's "get a life man" if a damn grownup is doing it.
AggieDub25
The way this series is going, jumping on the starter as quick as possible is the best way to go. Considering we can't do anything against their bullpen, going to have to score as much on the starter as possible.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Last thing I'm gonna say about the game last night and then I'm turning the page...

I would rather lose 7-0 then 5-4 in a close hard-fought game during a series like this. It's easier to go into the clubhouse and think "well damn we sucked and got beat but let's get them tomorrow" than "we fought our asses off and it wasn't enough".

This team knows what they're capable of and very few championship teams have a run with no adversity. They'll bounce back tonight.
We got smoked 7-0 in game 1 of the 2019 ALCS and bounced back.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Nino Brown said:

Cromagnum said:

Classic Philadelphia d-baggery, right up to, but not crossing the line.
Similar to the wearing jersey thing. I don't have a problem with HS or college kids talking smack to professional athletes.

IMHO, the line is crossed when it's a grown azz man with a job and a family talking smack to athletes. For me, it's cringe worthy and out of line regardless of what they say. At that point it's "get a life man" if a damn grownup is doing it.
So wat would be more offensive for smack talking - a college kid with a job and a family or an older man with no family and no formal education?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
KC_Ag14
AG
AgLA06 said:

Or maybe having a plan of attack at the plate as a team.

I'm sorry, but it's pathetic baseball to be facing a team with limited pitching and guys are getting out on the first or second pitch. It's just bad and whoever came up with that plan at the plate should be fire.
100%. I'm definitely a broken record on this topic... but be selectively aggressive. They have the latter part down, but not the former (right now). I have no issue with going after the first or second pitch if it's something they can do damage with. But a walk is a rally in the postseason too. Too many swings at pitches that Philly is hoping they swing at.
Nino Brown
Wabs said:

Deluxe said:

AgLA06 said:

I'm sorry, but it's pathetic baseball to be facing a team with limited pitching and guys are getting out on the first or second pitch. It's just bad and whoever came up with that plan at the plate should be fire.
It worked in game 2. It did not work last night.

Generally I agree though. Feel like Philly has done a much better job than us this series of working counts and spoiling good pitches.
It just feels like it's very difficult for our pitchers to "close the deal" when they have 2 strikes. Philly battles and battles, then walks or gets a hit, or at minimum works the pitcher and increases the pitch count. I don't see that when we're at the plate - not every one of our ABs, but it seems like most of them.

Well, here's the deal with that. Outside of possible tipping, or obvious tipping that isn't going to be admitted, a lot of our strikeouts come from balls outside of the zone. Philly isn't going to chase and neither LMJ or JV have been able to consistently get ahead in the count.

Javier has been our most consistent guy in terms of getting outs and K's on balls in the zone. As long as our bats come alive tonight and we're not jumping out of the zone swinging at crap, the series is evened up tonight.
Wabs
AG
Nino Brown said:

Wabs said:

Deluxe said:

AgLA06 said:

It worked in game 2. It did not work last night.

Generally I agree though. Feel like Philly has done a much better job than us this series of working counts and spoiling good pitches.
It just feels like it's very difficult for our pitchers to "close the deal" when they have 2 strikes. Philly battles and battles, then walks or gets a hit, or at minimum works the pitcher and increases the pitch count. I don't see that when we're at the plate - not every one of our ABs, but it seems like most of them.

Well, here's the deal with that. Outside of possible tipping, or obvious tipping that isn't going to be admitted, a lot of our strikeouts come from balls outside of the zone. Philly isn't going to chase and neither LMJ or JV have been able to consistently get ahead in the count.

Javier has been our most consistent guy in terms of getting outs and K's on balls in the zone. As long as are bats come alive tonight and we're not jumping out of the zone swinging at crap, the series is evened up tonight.
Totally agree. JV seems to have lost his swing and miss stuff late in the count (or Philly is just really good at making contact).
Marvin
AG
With the strike zone Suarez was getting last night, the Astros had to swing. He pitched a great game, but also was the beneficiary of many borderline calls. It doesn't help when the Astros have the same approach, every inning of every game- swing at anything close.

And that has nothing to do with how bad McCullers was. It just exacerbated the worst possible combination.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
maca1028
Wabs
AG
maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Beat40
Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Realistically, who else are you going to use in that situation?
Ags #1
AG
Who else would have started? Framber?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
maca1028 said:

Tonight is a MUST win
Sher Thing
AG
Ags #1 said:

I probably would have made a decision after tonight. If the Phillies go up 3-1, I'd probably pitch Framber game 5. Astros need to win tonight, obviously.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachRTM
AG
If you're giving up on Verlander vs the Phillies bullpen day.....

That's a big advantage for us - JV bounced back in a big way for his second start in the ALCS.
CoachRTM
AG
Sher Thing said:

Ags #1 said:

I probably would have made a decision after tonight. If the Phillies go up 3-1, I'd probably pitch Framber game 5. Astros need to win tonight, obviously.
I don't know why. You're going to have to win a JV start regardless if you go down 3-1. Even if you're incredibly down on the Cy Young winner, pitching him against the Phillies bullpen day makes sense.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachRTM said:

If you're giving up on Verlander vs the Phillies bullpen day.....

That's a big advantage for us - JV bounced back in a big way for his second start in the ALCS.
Oh right because we've done so well offensively against the Phillies bullpen so far...

Have to win tonight to have a buffer for the inevitable JV cratering
Sher Thing
AG
I just think the Astros are going to give their pitchers some more offense at home as compared to on the road so I would go with your best pitcher in an elimination game in that scenario. But yeah, the Astros are going to need quality starts from both if they want to win this series, obviously.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bad Poster
htxag09 said:

To be clear, not saying the e Phillies were cheating.

But, can you imagine the *****ing that would be going on right now if our home/away splits looked like theirs and we came out in game one with 5 home runs in 5 innings….hell, they tried to make a national outcry for using pujols' bat….

Not even the home/away splits. Look at the day/night splits. Something is up
MAROON
AG
Ags #1 said:

possibly Garcia?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Nino Brown
Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Realistic, I know JV has been more than great his entire career but....this one game will define a lot about him and his future considering his playoff struggles in the past, especially the WS struggles. Call me crazy but I think being down in the series actually helps the Stros. MLB/Fox want a 6-7 game series and believe Javier and JV get a more favorable strike zone the next two games. But, if JV is hanging stuff over the plate and not getting ahead in the count, gonna be a long off season.
jkag89
Quote:

Finished just 12 games above .500 (87-75)
2006 Cardinals won the World Series had a record of 83 - 78 and this is hardly the only team that won less than 90 games to win the Series.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Realistically, who else are you going to use in that situation?
Wabs
AG
Nino Brown said:

Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Realistic, I know JV has been more than great his entire career but....this one game will define a lot about him and his future considering his playoff struggles in the past, especially the WS struggles. Call me crazy but I think being down in the series actually helps the Stros. MLB/Fox want a 6-7 game series and believe Javier and JV get a more favorable strike zone the next two games. But, if JV is hanging stuff over the plate and not getting ahead in the count, gonna be a long off season.
Obviously gotta have a really short leash if we're down 3-1. It's all hands on deck and I hope Dusty treats it that way, and early.
Beat40
Bad Poster said:

htxag09 said:

To be clear, not saying the e Phillies were cheating.

But, can you imagine the *****ing that would be going on right now if our home/away splits looked like theirs and we came out in game one with 5 home runs in 5 innings….hell, they tried to make a national outcry for using pujols' bat….

Not even the home/away splits. Look at the day/night splits. Something is up
What are the splits?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Nino Brown said:

Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
Have Kate tell Justin if he wins Game 5, Amy Cole will come help the 2 of them celebrate.

Chef Elko
AG
The bottom of the lineup has been great working counts and getting on base. The top of our lineup has looked like trash and it's costing the team Ws.
jkag89
Nino Brown said:

Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
It is fair to say JV has struggled in many of his World Series appearances His overall record in the postseason is more than solid IMO.

spadilly
S
The Phillies are wearing their powder blues in game 5 too, so we have to overcome the baseball gods giving them the nod for that uni matchup.
Nino Brown
jkag89 said:

Nino Brown said:

Wabs said:

maca1028 said:

Oh boy......
It is fair to say JV has struggled in many of his World Series appearances His overall record in the postseason is more than solid IMO.

Well, it's pretty obvious that something is up with the playoffs with the longer he has to pitch in a short window and teams being able to catch some of his current tale signs or if he's tipping in the playoffs and not catching it as well. There has to be more to it other than facing "hotter" teams in the WS when you're ERA is basically doubled in the WS. Don't know if his velocity or command has been down in WS's but something's obviously been there because the numbers don't lie.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG

For Mattress Mack
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

unfortunately this is what usually happens to the losing team in a playoff series.

one or more of their star hitters goes ice cold.

(see Judge in the ALCS)
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
W said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

unfortunately this is what usually happens to the losing team in a playoff series.

one or more of their star hitters goes ice cold.

(see Judge in the ALCS)
it keeps happening
First Page Last Page
Page 2070 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.