***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,315,752 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once LMJ left the game Philly had one hit and one walk. Disappointing result tonight but this team is more than capable of a dominating win tomorrow night. Take game 4 and I think the Philly mojo fizzles fast.
BadAggie
AG
AggiEE said:

BadAggie said:

I think Javier and the bullpen give the Astros the pitching performance they need to win tomorrow. The question is if the offense will show up. The hope is the offense picked the right game tonight to lay its goose egg in the series. Unless Javier has some bad tells I think he will have a quality start. It's all on the offense tomorrow

Being aggressive helped G2 early, but I honestly wish our hitters would be more patient and allow the rest of the team to get good looks at their pitchers so we can adjust during the game

Getting quick outs just doesn't do the team any favors

Stros win 4-1 tomorrow. Javier with a great start and Yordan blasts a 3 run HR.
BadAggie
AG
Also Castellanos luck runs out in game 5.

BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I really hope he doesn't believe he wasn't tipping
He's not going to admit he is tipping

If by some miracle this makes a game 7, you just know Dusty is gonna have him start and leave him in until they have a 7 run lead. Lance better figure his crap out quick. He's been a massive disappointment these last two starts.

Just win it in 6. Unless Javier has obvious tells tomorrow is a nice matchup for him.

Then you have JV's redemption start/slaying the demons of WS past in game 5 with him pumping 80 high fastballs for the win, and Framber closes it out in game 6 and is named MVP.

Then Dusty can screw up the theoretical game 7 management all he wants on the beach.
92Ag95
AG
Really Stros? Really? It's the Phcking Phillies.

1. Started the year 22-29
2. Finished 14 games behind their division leader
3. Finished just 6 games above .500 (87-75)
4. LAST seed in NL playoffs

You swept the Mariners and Yankees and you're getting punked by the Phcking Philles.

Game 1 you were up by 5 and lost for only the 19th time (out of 608 games) in post season history where a team up by 5 runs lost the game.

Every time I see that wart below Harper's left eye I just want to pull out my exacto knife.
f1ghtintexasaggie
[gif]https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/71818883-4e7c-468b-8525-7fc7bd67452e[/gif]

Apologies to whomever normally posts that, but it's time to flush that ish for good. Let's go pick up Lance today! Goal has always been to take one. Two would be even better, and we have the pitching to do it. Just gotta execute. Extend the series and bring it back home.
All I do is Nguyen
IF the Astros can get a win tonight, I believe we go back to houston up 3-2 because Thor is pitching game 5. I think if we can get to Nola and not give up a lead tonight, we can win the next two.
tjack16
AG
I think tonight's game is very low scoring. One big hit will probably swing it either way
Wabs
AG
Welp boys, about as close to a must win tonight as you can get.

Here's to hoping our 1 through 5 get more than 1 hit. That would go a long way to making this a game tonight.
BayAg_14
New day. We find out what this team is made of tonight.
FrioAg 00
AG
Yup. Tonight is your series, IMO.
Wabs
AG
Don't like the idea of "we just need to win one and get it back to Houston". Even though that is technically true, it's the exact same thought as last year and we know how that ended. Let's win tonight, roll to tomorrow with momentum and go back home up 3-2.
Cromagnum
AG
Happy Hangover Humpday...oof

Let's get this **** headed the right direction tonight.
linkdude
AG
Work is gonna suck more today than the last two...
Deluxe
AG
92Ag95 said:

You swept the Mariners and Yankees and you're getting punked by the Phcking Philles.
They also dominated three really good teams (STL, ATL and SD) en route to the World Series. They're playing some great ball right now and their top hitters are seeing the ball very well. Not many teams make Justin Verlander and Lance McCullers look like AAA guys within the span of a few nights.
HarryRocket
Tonight is their second chance at a massive blow.

Don't let us win tonight. Everything is in this favor tonight, I would argue tonight is a must win for either side.
Cromagnum
AG
linkdude said:

Work is gonna suck more today than the last two...

Between the headache and knowing my Phillies coworker is gonna rip my ass today...haha.
htxag09
AG
To be clear, not saying the e Phillies were cheating.

But, can you imagine the *****ing that would be going on right now if our home/away splits looked like theirs and we came out in game one with 5 home runs in 5 innings….hell, they tried to make a national outcry for using pujols' bat….
Farmer1906
AG
Win tonight then all we have left is a 3 game series with home field advantage.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Let the invisible fastball eat tonight.

Bats have to do something. Time to break out the boom sticks.
yawny06
AG
92Ag95 said:

Game 1 you were up by 5 and lost for only the 19th time (out of 608 games) in post season history where a team up by 5 runs lost the game.

Every time I see that wart below Harper's left eye I just want to pull out my exacto knife.
If you guys had taken care of business at the end of the regular season and swept them, they wouldn't even be here...

But here we are...

I just find it crazy that NO ONE has made Ranger Suarez pay for putting people on base. Braves didn't do it, Padres didn't do it, and Astro's didn't do it last night. Something is going to have to give at some point.
Hwy30East
Settle down everyone.... They needed to lose one, so the series comes back to Houston to win it all at home.
astros4545
AG
yawny06 said:

92Ag95 said:

If you guys had taken care of business at the end of the regular season and swept them, they wouldn't even be here...

But here we are...

I just find it crazy that NO ONE has made Ranger Suarez pay for putting people on base. Braves didn't do it, Padres didn't do it, and Astro's didn't do it last night. Something is going to have to give at some point.

He didn't put that many people on base

That's the main issue
MosesHallRAB04
AG
They had 2 on at least two of his 5 innings.
Deluxe
AG
A few thoughts:

1. Another tip of the cap to the Phillies. Their big time players have shown up in a big way so far.

2. I probably should have seen Lance's struggles coming. He's thrown mostly offspeed stuff since he returned in August and had alot of success. But the Phillies were clearly sitting on it and weren't missing. They weren't scared of his fastball at all. Maybe he was tipping, but I'm not sure it would have mattered if he wasn't.

3. The good news is I think Javier and JV can pound their lively fastballs up in the zone the next two nights and hopefully reset the Phillies comfort at the plate. Javier has one of the best fastballs in the game and JV's fastball was fine in g1. Those are the two guys we want from a matchup standpoint.

4. If the Phillies offense shows it can beat LMJ and JV's spin and then beat Javier and JV's fastballs, their strength will have outperformed our strength and they deserve to win. I think we've still got a shot though.

5. Was thinking back to some of the key moments from our run. Seems every year we have a game or two with our backs against the wall that are pretty damn close to "must win".

2017 WS G2 - Down 1-0, won an epic close game, won series
2018 ALCS G4 - Down 2-1, lost a heartbreaking game, lost series
2019 ALCS G2 - Down 1-0 at home, won an epic close game, won series
2019 WS G2 - Down 1-0 at home, got shut down by Strasburg, lost series
2021 ALCS G4 - Down 2-1, won thrilling game in Boston to tie series, won series
2021 WS G2 - Down 1-0 at home, won game, lost series
2021 WS G4 - Down 2-1, lost game and series
2022 WS G2 - Down 1-0 at home, dominated the Phillies, ...

Add the game tonight to that list. Our success in these types of games has varied through the years, but we've gotten the job done before.

6. From here forward, Dusty needs to be more proactive about getting pitchers out of the game when it's obvious the Phillies are seeing him well. I get wanting JV and LMJ to eat a few more innings in the midst of their struggles, but the time for that is over. We've got a maximum of four games left this year. No need to play "conserve the staff" anymore. Play the hot hand game and quick hooks when someone is struggling.
Farmer1906
AG
yawny06 said:

92Ag95 said:

But here we are...

Not true. They would have tied the Brewers but owned the tiebreaker.
astros4545
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

They had 2 on at least two of his 5 innings.

So a WHIP below 1?

Cy Young level right there
cone
AG
BMX Bandit
good post.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

6. From here forward, Dusty needs to be more proactive about getting pitchers out of the game when it's obvious the Phillies are seeing him well. I get wanting JV and LMJ to eat a few more innings in the midst of their struggles, but the time for that is over. We've got a maximum of four games left this year. No need to play "conserve the staff" anymore. Play the hot hand game and quick hooks when someone is struggling.
This.

Any signed of trouble, a move has to be made. Not enough tomorrow's left to see if someone can work their way out of it.
Cromagnum
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

This.

Any signed of trouble, a move has to be made. Not enough tomorrow's left to see if someone can work their way out of it.

Part of me would Iike to see JV redeem himself in game 5 and LMJ in game 7 (if it's required). The other part of me doesn't trust either of them with the car keys.
Wabs
AG
Deluxe said:

This X1000. We're at the end and so more ****ing around. We have an excellent bullpen, stacked with long arms. It's time to use them when necessary. One small bright spot from last night - Urquidy pitched for the first time in weeks. May need him in G6 and/or G7.
yawny06
AG
Quote:

He didn't put that many people on base

That's the main issue
Yea, but you have to take advantage of opportunities and Suarez has been able to get out unscathed all postseason. Credit to him, but it is an anomaly at this point. What was the stat, teams are 0-12 with RISP against him this post season?

If Altuve gets a hit instead of popping out, it would have changed the dynamic of the game, in my opinion.

I just knew he was going to park one in the bleachers because he is due, but it was not meant to be.
Deluxe
AG
Wabs said:

Deluxe said:

This X1000. We're at the end and so more ****ing around. We have an excellent bullpen, stacked with long arms. It's time to use them when necessary. One small bright spot from last night - Urquidy pitched for the first time in weeks. May need him in G6 and/or G7.
From a stuff standpoint, in terms of what they rely on to get guys out, Urquidy seems like a much better matchup against the Phillies than Lance. Urquidy goes to the fastball/change combo and drops in the spin occasionally to keep guys honest. Lance is all spin, which the Phillies are crushing rn.

I'd be tempted to give Urquidy the ball in g7 (if we get there). Ride him if he's got a hot hand, get him out asap for Hunter, Luis or Lance if he doesn't. Lance's stuff might be better if he piggy-backed Urquidy anyway. Let the Phillies decipher fastball/change for a few innings, then Lance's curve/slider combo might be more effective.
yawny06
AG
Quote:

Not true. They would have tied the Brewers but owned the tiebreaker.
Just joking...
First Page Last Page
Page 2067 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.