***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,342,335 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really…..our pitching has been elite. Generally, good pitching beats good hitting. Combined with really good production for a handful of guys, it's not a wonder at all how we've made it this far.
JohnLA762
AG
The only thing last nights loss prevents is a sweep. Let's go win tonight and get back in this damn thing!

Edit: that was not supposed to be a reply, I am inept.
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

Ugh. Starting the playoffs Altuve is 4-37. After game 1 against Seattle Yordan has been 3-28. And the DH position which is supposed to be a hitter is a combined 2-34.

We have 9 hits in 99 ABs out of 3 positions that should be hitting .300 with production.

Makes you wonder how we got this far.
Near perfect pitching wins most games.
tjack16
AG
Gol***93 said:

tjack16 said:

If the series goes far enough I wouldnt mind if we didn't start him again.

Game 2: Framber
Game 3: Javier
Game 4: McCullers
Game 5: Urquidy/Garcia/Brown
Game 6: Framber
Game 7: Javier/McCullers

Look, I get your sentiment.. but this is about as dumb a take as they come. Don't give the ball to the probable Cy Young winner? Give me a break.

You're probably right. I posted this out of frustration.

When game 5 rolls around I hope he redeems himself.
Furlock Bones
AG
One of the worst parts about last night was Smoltz telling us it was about to get bad for JV. He could see it from the booth that JVs mechanics were falling apart. Pitching coach and manager have to recognize it as well.
Harry Dunne
Furlock Bones said:

One of the worst parts about last night was Smoltz telling us it was about to get bad for JV. He could see it from the booth that JVs mechanics were falling apart. Pitching coach and manager have to recognize it as well.
Agree, very frustrating.

BTW Smoltz was absolute nails his whole career in the postseason, but the only WS the Braves won in '95, he crapped the bed his only start.
tjack16
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I wonder if this broadcasting gig will parlay itself into a coaching job for him soon.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I've created/updated a spreadsheet for the Pickem game.

If you see something wrong on your entry, please let me know and point me to your original picks.

If you don't see your picks at all, please let me know. I might have you on ignore, but if I see you replying to me, I'll make sure to get you on the sheet.

Kudos to Funky Winkerbean being the only person with the balls to take Philly to win Game 1.

Life is better with a beagle
Ags #1
AG
Still cant believe diaz got the green light after almost being hit twice and a wp
McInnis
AG
How does such an accomplished, experienced pitcher like JV get so far off track with his mechanics from one inning to the next? I think the pressure of winning a WS game must be getting to him.
tjack16
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I've created/updated a spreadsheet for the Pickem game.

If you see something wrong on your entry, please let me know and point me to your original picks.

If you don't see your picks at all, please let me know. I might have you on ignore, but if I see you replying to me, I'll make sure to get you on the sheet.

Kudos to Funky Winkerbean being the only person with the balls to take Philly to win Game 1.

Dang I missed this yesterday. I wanted some Shrute bucks
Furlock Bones
AG
tjack16 said:

Furlock Bones said:

I wonder if this broadcasting gig will parlay itself into a coaching job for him soon.

If we just had him as advisor, we win game 1. He said, it starts to go bad for JV when he falls off towards first. Sure enough he gets into trouble in the 4th and his mechanics start breaking down.
Mathguy64
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ugh. Starting the playoffs Altuve is 4-37. After game 1 against Seattle Yordan has been 3-28. And the DH position which is supposed to be a hitter is a combined 2-34.

We have 9 hits in 99 ABs out of 3 positions that should be hitting .300 with production.

Makes you wonder how we got this far.
Near perfect pitching wins most games.

As last night demonstrates near perfect pitching is vapid. Those 3 spots need to contribute.
McInnis
AG
Ags #1 said:

Still cant believe diaz got the green light after almost being hit twice and a wp
Agree, and then for him to swing. He's always seemed like a pretty smart player to me.
Wheatables02
AG
fullback44 said:

This is a 7 game series .. we haven't lost in a while .. regroup and let's win some games…. We just need to get back in our grove .. I think We take 2 of 3 in Philly ..
Have you watched the postseason games in Philly? It's Kyle Field level intensity and the Phillies kill it at home in the postseason..
Furlock Bones
AG
McInnis said:

How does such an accomplished, experienced pitcher like JV get so far off track with his mechanics from one inning to the next? I think the pressure of winning a WS game must be getting to him.

Oh it's completely mental. He's one of the greatest pitchers of all time and prior to last night was 0-5 in 7 WS starts. There's zero chance that wasn't running through his head the second he dropped the liner.
KTAG05
AG
There is a difference in recognizing it and doing something about it. They have all the video in the world and have someone watching the broadcast.

Dusty wasn't pulling him after the third so what does it matter if JV can't fix it on the fly.
W
AG
yep, even worse...Altuve & Yordan hit in the top 3 in the order

7-8-9 are rolling the order into automatic outs
Harry Dunne
BCSGrubber said:

There is a difference in recognizing it and doing something about it. They have all the video in the world and have someone watching the broadcast.

Dusty wasn't pulling him after the third so what does it matter if JV can't fix it on the fly.
True.

The long leash and belief is what makes Dusty great. Framber directly credits that for his emergence. At the same time I feel like a great manager knows when to flip the switch. We're not playing to build belief anymore, it's win at all costs.

But the same guy that played Yuli all year even though he was terrible (and obv. eventually had that belief pay off) isn't also going to turn on JV. Hundred percent chance m Yuli would still be in the lineup even if he was hitting .180. That's just Dusty. You live and die by the sword

I love both JV and Dusty, but they each have very, very little time left to rewrite their legacy as "Hall of Famers who couldn't get it done in the World Series".
Harry Dunne
McInnis said:

Ags #1 said:

Agree, and then for him to swing. He's always seemed like a pretty smart player to me.
Just put yourself in his shoes. Keeping the bat on the shoulder is the right thing to do but man it's got to be incredibly hard for a journeyman with a chance to become a legend to keep the bat on the shoulder when you know you're probably getting a fastball in the strike zone.

We all grow up dreaming of that moment, and none of us in that dream take ball 4 and smartly trot to first so the next guy can be the hero.
Ag_07
AG
I don't mind the Diaz green light at all.

I do have an issue with him swinging though. Green light doesn't mean swing at whatever comes.

He has to be smarter.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Harry Dunne said:

McInnis said:

Ags #1 said:

Just put yourself in his shoes. Keeping the bat on the shoulder is the right thing to do but man it's got to be incredibly hard for a journeyman with a chance to become a legend to keep the bat on the shoulder when you know you're probably getting a fastball in the strike zone.

We all grow up dreaming of that moment, and none of us in that dream take ball 4 and smartly trot to first so the next guy can be the hero.

Problem is strike 1 wasn't a fastball. It was a curve that was ball 4
Harry Dunne
Of course, and that's why he's a journeyman and not a Hall of Famer.

I didn't say he was right, I just said walk a mile in his shoes to understand the choice.
cone
AG
nice return to form for Dusty
Harry Dunne
cone said:

nice return to form for Dusty
Nice return to form for you. I still remember you crapping all over this thread in 2017. Well done if you're a troll. If you're not, I'm sad for you.
cone
AG
just a noticer, that's all
Ags #1
AG
Not like he is yordan or trout. He is exactly that, a journeyman. And he has seen 3 pitches nowhere close to the zone. You watch one till he shows he can throw in the zone
GarryowenAg
AG
My head hurts this morning…
jkag89
cone said:

just a noticer, that's all
Nope, just a whiner.
Harry Dunne
That's right. I think if you read what I'm writing you'll see that I agree.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Still upset….

Diaz swinging 3-0 on a curveball when he only hits the fastball. Swinging 3-1 on another ball and curveball, that he couldn't do anything with

Stanek not starting the inning when that's his role and he's the BEST out of our bullpen this season (ERA wise).

Mancini getting to hit in 7th/8th, after horrible ABs all game and postseason… I believe we had someone in scoring position too.
texasaggie2015
AG
Alright boys let's get it together. We're winning the series. It's not supposed to be easy and won't be easy but this is a resilient team and they're going to bounce back in a big way. I just cracked open a Miller Lite and I don't care that it's 9:45am. I'll have another when this one is gone. And then another. We're going hard today and we're going to rally. Someone post boobs. Whatever it takes to get the mood back up in this thread. Let's do this boys.
tjack16
AG
I dont think you can blame Dusty for last night.

Mancini and Diaz have both been putrid this whole postseason. Would I rather give Hensley a shot? Sure but that's not why we lost.

His one mistake was not pulling Verlander earlier but also JV has proven he can bounce back from a bad early start and settle in. So I don't mind sticking with him. I just don't get why he stopped throwing fastballs when they were hammering breaking pitches
Ags #1
AG
Oh my bad. To me its not hard to take a pitch after he has seen 3 pitches nowhere close to the zone. Hell he leaned into one just to try and keep the train moving. She he had no issue with trying to get on. Just stand there. If robertson was close then maybe can understand swinging but he was nowhere close
Harry Dunne
I think he lost command of it. It seems like as soon as the color guys were fluffing him for how good he is at locating that high fastball he started to go away from and lose control of it.

They were chasing it all night and it just doesn't make any sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 1964 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.