***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,317,505 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

Since I was 11 and 12 during that 2004-2005 run,
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Prosperdick said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

https://instagr.am/p/Cj6IufYvshX
Really hope I get to post her AOFA later tonight...I went back and checked and since I've posted her after wins since August 11th we are 38-15 for a .716 winning percentage. Not too shabby and better than our regular season winning percentage.
Updated to include the 4 wins against the Yankees...since I first posted her on August 11th we are now 42-15 for a .736 winning percentage. I really hope I get to post her AOFA later tomorrow night.
Beau Holder
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

tjack16 said:

I was 13.

Also, why does tomorrow feel further away now than it did on Monday?
Deluxe
AG
I wish we had better knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes. From a position player standpoint, our core is still pretty strongly linked to Luhnow IMO. From a pitching standpoint, given where Luhnow left our staff post 2019 and where it is today, I give alot of credit to Click.

Click built our pitching foundation with alot of Luhnow picks/signees, but those guys did most of their big league developing under Click's watch. Also worth remembering that Luhnow was on a pretty stanky run of pitching prospect performance at the big league level when he left (Corbin Martin, James, Cio, Framber struggled bad during his tenure).

I'm sure Click brought all his Rays pitching secrets over from Tampa, but those are largely integrated by now. He's got some baseball chops and has made some good moves to help us win, but does he have the organizational leadership/work ethic chops that Crane demands? That's what I'm not sure about.

I'm also not sure if Crane is starting to think he's got a handle on things and wants to run more of it himself. That could be good, as he's the constant behind the scenes in the Luhnow vs Click "debate". Something in our org is obviously working very well regardless of GM. Maybe he's a bigger part of our brainpower than we know.

The fear is that maybe Crane has some Jerry Jones in him. That he's starting to think he gets it more than he actually does, wants more input into baseball ops and more credit for our success. I don't think this is the case but ya never know I guess.

Regardless, I think we're going to learn alot about Crane this offseason.
Harry Dunne

Maldy!

I think this speaks more to the terrible hitting of catchers league-wide than anything else, but I still love it!!!
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-prospect-zach-daniels-home-run-goes-481-feet

Wow. I hadn't heard much about Zach Daniels since we drafted him in 2020 but looks like he had a really nice year in A ball and passes the look test with flying colors.

Bookmark this guy as a 2024 starting LF candidate.
Farmer1906
AG
Yordan & Altuve should win it.

Tucker will be behind Judge, Trout, & Rodriguez.
Bregman behind Ramirez.
Maldy behind all the other finalists.
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Maldy!
At the trade deadline, I still remember some fools on here thought Wilson Contreras would be a better offensive option than Maldy behind the plate. This silver slugger nomination affirmatively proves them wrong beyond any shadow of a doubt!
All I do is Nguyen

tjack16 said:

I know how you feel lol
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The roof open/closed tweets and everyone being upset about it is such an odd thing to me every playoffs
The Porkchop Express
AG
We'll want to see him fail, but you have to love Kyle Schwarber for being the guy who finally lost his **** and lit into Angel Hernandez and his BS.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Beau Holder said:

tjack16 said:

I was 13.

I turned 12 a week before spring training started in 1986.
JohnLA762
AG
Don't mind me. I'll just be sitting here waiting for 7:03 pm first pitch…

Post removed:
by user
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

Beau Holder said:

tjack16 said:

I was 13.

I turned 12 a week before spring training started in 1986.
I was born over the All Star break
Ags #1
AG
What is the twitter page that does those umpire scorecards after each game? Thanks!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bodaciousbood14
AG
Ags #1 said:

What is the twitter page that does those umpire scorecards after each game? Thanks!
Umpire Scorecards
Mathguy64
AG
Ags #1 said:

If you google "umpire scorecard twitter" it literally returns as the top hit a twitter site called "UmpScorecards" which is what you want.

ok. Sorry for being a dick.
All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc said:

Prosperdick
AG

We'll want to see him fail, but you have to love Kyle Schwarber for being the guy who finally lost his **** and lit into Angel Hernandez and his BS.

I know we hate Jomboy but this is a good breakdown.
Harry Dunne
I know you're kidding and when I saw Maldy on there, initially I thought it was a joke as well.

Catcher is by far the hardest position to evaluate, because they haven't come up with a way to quantify how much leadership and calling a game is worth (or they have and they're not sharing it yet). It's obviously worth a lot.

I'm not sure if it was ever a serious consideration, but that's why I was so in favor of trading Tucker for Realmuto. I have grown to love Tucker and his best baseball is ahead of him while Realmuto at almost 32 is probably headed for either a sharp decline or a position change...but imagine that this whole time instead of having a liability at the plate, we had a guy just as good as Maldy defensively who is nearly as good of a hitter as Tucker is.

Who knows who we'd have in RF at this point, but he'd be miles better offensively than Maldy. Would that have been enough to make a difference in 2019 or 2021 (we would have never picked up Chirinos)?

OR is Maldy so good calling a game that he makes up for it?

I always go back to the fact that Evan Gattis was a pretty consistent high .700s OPS guy with lots of pop who wasn't good defensively but also didn't rate atrociously and no teams even gave him a shot. He's Johnny Bench at the plate compared to Maldy. Seems like a good dude and the only thing I can come up with is that he's absolutely vile at calling a game.

Anyway, those are my off-day catchers musings.

Congrats to Maldy for sucking less than many other catchers.
spadilly
S

Postseason off days…

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
should just start leaving the world series decorations up so they dont have to put em up every year. Like christmas lights in east texas.
Ags #1
AG
Thanks
bigjag19
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

should just start leaving the world series decorations up so they dont have to put em up every year. Like christmas lights in east texas.

4 straight years game 1 is in Texas.
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I know you're kidding and when I saw Maldy on there, initially I thought it was a joke as well.

Catcher is by far the hardest position to evaluate, because they haven't come up with a way to quantify how much leadership and calling a game is worth (or they have and they're not sharing it yet). It's obviously worth a lot.

I'm not sure if it was ever a serious consideration, but that's why I was so in favor of trading Tucker for Realmuto. I have grown to love Tucker and his best baseball is ahead of him while Realmuto at almost 32 is probably headed for either a sharp decline or a position change...but imagine that this whole time instead of having a liability at the plate, we had a guy just as good as Maldy defensively who is nearly as good of a hitter as Tucker is.

Who knows who we'd have in RF at this point, but he'd be miles better offensively than Maldy. Would that have been enough to make a difference in 2019 or 2021 (we would have never picked up Chirinos)?

OR is Maldy so good calling a game that he makes up for it?

I always go back to the fact that Evan Gattis was a pretty consistent high .700s OPS guy with lots of pop who wasn't good defensively but also didn't rate atrociously and no teams even gave him a shot. He's Johnny Bench at the plate compared to Maldy. Seems like a good dude and the only thing I can come up with is that he's absolutely vile at calling a game.

Anyway, those are my off-day catchers musings.

Congrats to Maldy for sucking less than many other catchers.

Fair post. You're right, I was definitely kidding and making fun of myself more than anything.

Agree with your comment about catcher in general. With every other position on the field, you can look at offense/defense metrics and be able to tell in most circumstances who should be playing. Catcher is a little more difficult.

My personal perception is that Maldy's ability to make reads in-game/in-at bat, make the right calls and give our pitchers (especially young pitchers) confidence that he's got things under control is a value-add that more than makes up for his offensive limitations. IMO, part of our pitching staff secret sauce is that they can outsource real-time decision making to Maldy and are freed up to just focus on execution.

That ability takes a time and trust to develop (in both directions). The pitchers have to trust Maldy and Maldy has to 1) know exactly what the pitcher is capable of throwing and 2) trust that the pitcher can execute in a certain spot. But when it's synced up, it can be beautiful.

Also think Vazzy was a perfect add because I think he's got the right pedigree to pick that stuff up quicker than 98% of catchers out there. I really hope we find a way to bring him back next year and let Maldy transition 1A duties to him.

Lots of room for reasonable minds to disagree here though. You're a good poster Harry and I respect your takes.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I guess you give the kid a chance and see what he can do. he's on a decent hot streak since August 2017.
iamtheglove

I mean that pitch was only a couple inches off the plate. Imagine how he would react to an Angel special that is a foot off.
W
AG
it will be interesting to see how hard the Astros or Crane try to keep the band together in the offseason.

JV, Yuli, and Brantley

analytics and/or whatever value formula Click uses...may be telling him to let all three walk
Deluxe
AG
W said:

it will be interesting to see how hard the Astros or Crane try to keep the band together in the offseason.

JV, Yuli, and Brantley

analytics and/or whatever value formula Click uses...may be telling him to let all three walk
Possibly. My two cents:

JV will be back on a 2/$80 million deal (Crane will get this done)
Brantley on a 1/$6 million deal and play some 1B next year (great value/low risk assuming he's recovered)
Yuil will retire
Farmer1906
AG
One thing to keep in mind. If the JT trade happens in 2019. You get JT for 2 seasons and he's a FA. I would take 19-20 JT over 19-20 Tucker. But Tucker is gunna be here for 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25.

Does he make the difference in 19? Maybe. He can't make the difference in 21. Who's to say we even make it in 21 without Tucker's .935 OPS and 15 RBI in the DS+CS.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

W said:

JV, Yuli, and Brantley

Possibly. My two cents:

JV will be back on a 2/$80 million deal
Brantley on a 1/$6 million deal and play some 1B next year
Yuil will retire
I don't get retirement vibes from Yuli unless he doesn't have any suitors, especially after this great postseason from him.

I think Brantley will be cheaper than before (16 M for multi-years), but I don't think we get that big of a discount.

I think the analytics is going to say let JV walk and upgrade in LF & 1B as much as possible.
First Page Last Page
Page 1870 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.