***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,318,915 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which Pitcher is the Astros' Weak Link? (Spoiler: There is none)

BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Yeah, they had the numbers on the pants for only one (maybe two?) seasons in the 70s. 80s is when they started to transition to the stripes on the sleeves, rather than the midsection.

I remember when Yogi wore this one, people commented on his weight gain with: "Yogi, you look like the planet Saturn!"
Teddy Perkins
AG

Brings up an interesting question - do we continue to see Yordan in LF throughout the series with a rotation at DH until we find the hot bat?
Philip J Fry
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Stone said:

Farmer1906 said:

'stros in 7. We win games 2, 3, 4, & 7.

MVP - Altuve

McCullers & Valdez lead the way pitching with their curveballs.

you think JV loses both games?
That is kind of his thing, right?

He's pitched in 7 WS games. He's 0-6, the team is 1-6. In this case, I don't know if he does poorly, I just think Wheeler is a mutha ****er.

Being 0-6 means he's due for a win.
Farmer1906
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Brings up an interesting question - do we continue to see Yordan in LF throughout the series with a rotation at DH until we find the hot bat?
I would probably play Diaz over him in LF, but if Diaz isn't in than I don't have an issue with Yordan. Dusty will probably play him over the others.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Which Pitcher is the Astros' Weak Link? (Spoiler: There is none)
Strangely I don't think he's giving us enough credit. He calls Javier a No. 2 or No. 3 starter on other teams. He'd be an ace or strong No. 2. If you gross up his fWAR for 200 innings, he's in Framber territory (borderline top 10 in MLB).

Also, in Javier's matchup vs. Cole, we had the better pitcher by most metrics.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Espada misses another one...wonder why no one wants to hire him over and over (not complaining if he takes over for Dusty)
lil99chris
AG
Maybe he already has an agreement to be the next manager of a team when the spot opens?!?!?!?
CoachRTM
AG
I think if we win, Dusty could retire, and Espada then takes over.

Wouldn't surprise me if Espada was waiting for that.
CFTXAG10
AG
Id wager good money that Dusty is gone no matter what after this year and Espada gets named manager
Hulla Baller
AG
CoachRTM said:

That's music to my ears. Oh how sweet the sound.
MarathonAg12
Yordan! Bring us some cheer.
RC_57
AG
CoachRTM said:

Wasn't there a recent statement from Dusty along the lines of "Win one, why not come back and get another" or something like that.

Anyway I'm now on the fence whether I would want him back or not.
Cromagnum
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Id wager good money that Dusty is gone no matter what after this year and Espada gets named manager

Well first things first, let's get the old ball coach a ring so he can put it on his retirement mantle.
CFTXAG10
AG
Cromagnum said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Well first things first, let's get the old ball coach a ring so he can put it on his retirement mantle.
Agreed. As much as the old fart has irritated me at times I would love to see it. He has DONE a fantastic job managing this postseason. No complaints from me.
CoachRTM
AG
Dusty is awesome. I think we all get stuck on the analytics side of it where Dusty is..... well, he's not the best analytics coach out there.

What he is elite at is building relationships with his team, motivating them, and being able to look past analytics from time to time. Watch the ALCS trophy presentation - this team loves Dusty, as much as any team I've seen love their coach. The whole league likes Dusty, really. When he retires, baseball will lose one of the last of his generation.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Ive got to say, usty has grown on me a lot this year. Outside of sending verlander out for the 4th in game 1, and using hunter brown when he did, he has been nails in the playoffs.

Alot of nonsensical stuff in the regular season, but 100 wins is 100 wins.

Of course I will throw him under the bus if he doesnt do exactly what I want with relievers.
Ag_07
AG
RC_57 said:

CoachRTM said:

Wasn't there a recent statement from Dusty along the lines of "Win one, why not come back and get another" or something like that.

Anyway I'm now on the fence whether I would want him back or not.

Jimmy Rollins did a really good sit down interview with Dusty that aired on one of the pregame shows.

He said if he wins one he wants to come back and prove to everyone that it wasn't a fluke. So by no means does winning one mean it's time for him to retire.

As a manager I'm not a big Dusty fan but the players really seem to love him and love playing for him.

To elaborate...It was really cool to see him up there with Pena kinda protecting him a bit while he was being interviewed when receiving his hardware. You could tell Pena isn't the most extrovert and seemed like Dusty was there with him as kind of a father figure and not leaving him out there on his own.
CoachRTM
AG
I didn't see the interview, but it could be coach speak. Who knows.

He has coached the Astros for 3 years. He has made the ALCS each year and the World Series twice.

He has made the playoffs 12 times in total and has gone at least once with each of the 5 teams he has managed.

The last 7 seasons he has been a manager, he has made the playoffs. This also applies to 8 of the past 9 seasons.

If he wins this year, I don't see how anyone could think it was a fluke.
Bad Poster
Teddy Perkins said:

Wish we would try hensely at dh. Ive seen enough if diaz and mancini.
The Porkchop Express
AG
There's only one thing that comes from Philly that will make me sad about stomping them.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It is time for Dusty to get a ring!

And I say this as someone who has traditionally been extremely harsh on him and not his biggest fan. His postseason moves have been pretty damn good and I think the team does really like him where I wasn't so sure in 2020/21… get him a ring and I won't care if he stays or goes, we'll be in good shape!
Prosperdick
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Ive got to say, usty has grown on me a lot this year. Outside of sending verlander out for the 4th in game 1, and using hunter brown when he did, he has been nails in the playoffs.

Alot of nonsensical stuff in the regular season, but 100 wins is 100 wins.

Of course I will throw him under the bus if he doesnt do exactly what I want with relievers.
At the time I was worried but you have to give Hunter a high leverage situation to see how he handles it. He didn't handle it very well so it's a data point Dusty can use going forward and it gives Hunter invaluable experience.

Now if we were down 0-2 or 1-1 in game 3 I'm not sure Dusty uses him in that situation but we were in control of the series at that point so why not roll the dice and see how the kid responds.
tjack16
AG
For 3 straight playoffs, Dusty has made really good decisions and I'd say he puts our guys (especially bullpen) in the best position to win
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If you want a good ripping of Philly, go look up "bill burr rant philly" on youtube...it's very nsfw, let them have it for 10+ minutes.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Greatest TV comedy of all time
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

a real homerun
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

For 3 straight playoffs, Dusty has made really good decisions and I'd say he puts our guys (especially bullpen) in the best position to win
I agree. 2020 is kind of fuzzy, but 2021 was very tough with all the bullpen moves. However, 2022 has been pretty simple in comparision.
MarathonAg12
ScapeGOAT said:

The Porkchop Express
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

ScapeGOAT said:

I love the office, but it cratered after Michael Scarn hung it up.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Kashchei
AG
I know almost nothing about the Phillies outside of Harper and Schwarber. How good is their starting pitching, particularly Wheeler and Nola? Are they better than anyone we've faced so far?
MarathonAg12
First time I didn't like Will Ferrel. It got better after he left
texasaggie2015
AG
Kashchei said:

I know almost nothing about the Phillies outside of Harper and Schwarber. How good is their starting pitching, particularly Wheeler and Nola? Are they better than anyone we've faced so far?
They are extremely good
McInnis
AG
Anyone need a reason to work up some Phillies hate?

You can see Rose could clearly see the ball was loose and had no good reason to elbow Bochy. Good to see Bochy still making a good living at baseball (in spite of his current job) while Rose is still in excommunication.
MAROON
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

A-level photobomb
that's the smile of a guy who spent 701 games in the baseball purgatory that is Baltimore. I wish he could have been better once he got here, but he has a few more games to make a big impact.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
First Page Last Page
Page 1856 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.