***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,318,342 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Do we want to play NY or CLE?

At first blush, we'd want Cleveland, right? Their offense leaves quite a bit to be desired. With our plus defense, we should negate any pros to "just putting in play". But they have a rather filthy bullpen. Starting-wise, I would say their 1-2 punch is strong, but after that, it trails off quite a bit. The Yankees have a much better offense and better starting pitching (a 1-2-3 punch if you will). They're much more prone to strike out and don't play as good of defense (screw you, DRS). Plus their bullpen is a very distant 3rd between us, Cleveland, and New York.

Outside of the on-the-field stuff, how sweet would it be to eliminate the Yankees for the 4th time?

I think we'd take Cleveland fairly easily if our pitching keeps up. We have enough timely hitting and depth.

New York scares me only because it's what the MLB wants, and it's 3 games at that flukey park. Just seems like a recipe for a "Astros got screwed" headline.

Also I dont think Cleveland is ready for the moment yet. Our experience would win out.

I don't think we have any business calling their park flukey.

The jet stream to RF is absolutely a fluke....our wall at the same distance is 20' tall and has no wind
And the Crawford Boxes turn routine fly balls into home runs. (See Correa's rainbow in 2017)

Every park is different, but we have a pretty fluky park ourselves.
Boiling Denim
Farmer1906 said:

At first blush, we'd want Cleveland, right? Their offense leaves quite a bit to be desired. With our plus defense, we should negate any pros to "just putting in play". But they have a rather filthy bullpen. Starting-wise, I would say their 1-2 punch is strong, but after that, it trails off quite a bit. The Yankees have a much better offense and better starting pitching (a 1-2-3 punch if you will). They're much more prone to strike out and don't play as good of defense (screw you, DRS). Plus their bullpen is a very distant 3rd between us, Cleveland, and New York.

Outside of the on-the-field stuff, how sweet would it be to eliminate the Yankees for the 4th time?
Cleveland feels like it will be a long drawn out series. Tampa Bay/Seattle like with a lot of sloppy frustrating at bats. If Verlander stinks it up it will go 7 guaranteed

NY should be a whirlwind. Lots of late inning shenanigans. Probably something very controversial. Astros can officially adopt the Yankees and claim fatherhood with another series win
Ag_07
AG
I just think it's a hard place to play in a playoff atmosphere.

Win the first 2 before you see Cole and less of a headache.

I'd just hate to lose one then go back to their place with a chance for them to close it out.

I hate the 2-3-2 format just for this reason.

In short...We match up better with NYY but CLE is easier to play on the road.
Bad Poster
Farmer1906 said:

I think one has to assume whatever game Mackenzie throws against the astros that Cleveland will win. Dude straight dominates us for some reason. Outside of him I dont think Cleveland has the talent to beat us in a 7 game series
CFTXAG10
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
For me I think it is as simple as...If we fail what would irritate me more?

I would be sick for weeks knowing the jankees beat us to go to their first WS in over a decade. That isnt being scared to play them or thinking that we would lose, I think we beat either of them.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My gut says NY. Their rotation is really messed up for the LCS. If Cleveland wins they just go Bieber first and he is on regular rest.

NY's is screwed for starters and their pen is really thin.

Plus Cleveland would be the hot team and I don't like the hot team.
HarryRocket
I never want the Yankees to win. Ever. Fck them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

If the game gets pushed, obviously, it hurts the winner because they have to turn around and play Houston on Wednesday. Who does it help more? Would CLE use Beiber on 3 days rest? Same for Nestor? The NY bullpen definitely needs the day off. Wandy has thrown 3 days in a row.

tjack16
AG
Is there any possible way they would push back the ALCS by a day?
spadilly
S
htxag09
AG
spadilly said:

lolz; I get why you want night games for ratings and revenue, but c'mon. That's ridiculous
The Porkchop Express
AG
The big networks won't let them eff with the LCS broadcast schedules unless the weather affects that actual game. A team playing a game in one town then flying to another town for a game the next night isn't exactly a rarity in baseball.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Bad Poster
The Porkchop Express said:

The big networks won't let them eff with the LCS broadcast schedules unless the weather affects that actual game. A team playing a game in one town then flying to another town for a game the next night isn't exactly a rarity in baseball.

Ah I can just hear the tears now. "Astros wouldnt have won if we hadnt had to play right after we won our alds series"…. Wah wah wah. Was listening to MLB radio this morning and there were a bunch of whiners whining that the top seeds dont get enough advantage in the playoffs and that we shouldnt have as many teams in. Bunch of pansies in the world today
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also, no Costas. Broadcast is Anderson, ron darling, and francoeur
KC_Ag14
AG

Regardless of how you feel about Barstool or Carrabis, this is just an all-time clip. Delicious pinstripe tears and hope we see some more tonight!
Cromagnum
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

Regardless of how you feel about Barstool or Carrabis, this is just an all-time clip. Delicious pinstripe tears and hope we see some more tonight!

The MLB is going to do all it can to help the Stankees.. I'm hoping Cleveland shows out enough to make it impossible though.
Silent For Too Long
Just checked the New York AccuWeather. They got a pretty big band of rain about to hit right at game time.
JABQ04
AG
****ed up schedule is to blame. Stupid play a game, day off, play a game, day off then 3 straight.
Prosperdick
AG
lurker76 said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

honestly, i didnt know yordon had a cannon until like a month ago.
Yordan is turning into Dave Parker. Big power hitter who also hits for average and has a cannon for an arm.

If you're too young to remember him, Parker was 6'5 230 lbs, Had not quite as much power as Yordan, but won two batting titles in the 70s back to back to back seasons (.338, .334, 3 seasons of 30+ homers and 9 seasons of 90+ RBI.

Here he is gunning down the Angels' Brian Downing in the All-Star Game in 1979 with the ball bouncing 9 feet in the air off the AstroTurf

And unable to find a pop up in the outfield, and then destroying Jim Rice trying to get to third in the same game. joe Morgan playing second, and Astro Craig Reynolds at shortstop!

Thanks for posting this with the links. I forgot how much I used to love watching the All Star game every year. Now, I don't pay any attention to it. Watching Gary Carter block the plate reminded me of Pete Rose taking out Ray Fosse. The players all cared, because they took pride in the game and played like it. Being a native Houstonian, I always rooted for the National League and enjoyed the wins.
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3282003/replies/62445956

I guess great minds think alike. I made the exact same comparison to Parker (with the same youtube link) back in July in this thread. Also pointed out another similar quirk...both Yordan and Parker throw right but bat left (although their stances are very different).

I hated those Pirate teams because they were so damn good. Whenever they brought in Kent Tekulve for a save (and his submarine delivery) I knew our goose was cooked.
Ag_07
AG
So we getting baseball tonight or what?
jkag89
The Damn Yankees are taking batting practice, so maybe?
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

ZG is the gift that keeps on giving

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjy7ud8pwkC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

So we getting baseball tonight or what?

It's delayed officially. They are reassessing the weather in 40 mins
The Porkchop Express
AG
They could play Game 5 at MInute Maid. WInner stays in town, loser goes home.
Prosperdick
AG

They could play Game 5 at MInute Maid. WInner stays in town, loser goes home.
Make 'em play in Arlington, they love hosting games that don't involve them.
MarathonAg12
Quad Dog said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He has a track record as a dirty player which is why a lot of folks don't like him
what kind of stuff?
Throwing bats at pitchers. Tried to fight a third baseman for tagging him out on the bases. While with the Dodgers, tried to break a first baseman's ankle by stepping on it rather than the base. Threw bats and threatened to fight an umpire for calling a bad strike. There's countless examples.

This dude is mentally unstable. Hope he gets some help for this over aggressive reactions simple baseball routine.
cap-n-jack
Both excellent points. Spot on actually.
bullard21k
AG
Machado has always been a dbag. People have such short memories
TRM
AG
Tarp on the field
MarathonAg12
MarathonAg12 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

So this brings up a good question: What happens if there is too much rain? Do they postpone the game to tomorrow, thusly postponing the start of the ALCS? Do they postpone the game to Tuesday and still play the next day in the ALCS? or do they just delay the game and play later?

They should have to play tomorrow and then play in the ALCS on Wednesday.

Sucks to suck
lurker76
Thanks, but credit goes to Porkchop for the comparison . I was just reminiscing about how much the All Star Game meant years ago, and how little it seems to mean now.

I really miss those days. And as was pointed out, having the players wear the team uniforms was really neat. So many years of the Colt .45s/Astros only getting one player on the team because the team was so bad, then getting multiple players and starters made the game even more exciting.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

that we shouldnt have as many teams in
Years ago, it was the AL/NL East vs AL/NL West for the World Series.
Prosperdick
AG
lurker76 said:

Thanks, but credit goes to Porkchop for the comparison . I was just reminiscing about how much the All Star Game meant years ago, and how little it seems to mean now.

I really miss those days. And as was pointed out, having the players wear the team uniforms was really neat. So many years of the Colt .45s/Astros only getting one player on the team because the team was so bad, then getting multiple players and starters made the game even more exciting.
I made the exact same comparison in July and included the all-star game throw. But whatever, who cares.

I miss those great all-star games too and loved seeing one of our own get in the game as we rarely received any national publicity. I guess we have to be careful what we wish for lol.

First Page Last Page
Page 1562 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.