***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,318,373 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wonder if there will be a delay tonight in New York.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I'm rooting for mother nature tonight. Torrential downpours and lightning like crazy all night. Make them play tomorrow, then fly to Houston and play Wednesday.
Ag_07
AG
Doubt it

Chances are high for rain but it looks like it's only gonna be 1/10 to 1/4".

May make things interesting on the field but wouldn't think that's enough to delay or postpone.

But jeez...a postponement until tomorrow would really make it interesting for the GM 1 Wednesday.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
There could be the risk of MLB pushing game 1 to Thursday if that happens.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

There could be the risk of MLB pushing game 1 to Thursday if that happens.
Only if it's the Yankees…

/sort of kidding
Eso si, Que es
Ag_07 said:

Doubt it

Chances are high for rain but it looks like it's only gonna be 1/10 to 1/4".

May make things interesting on the field but wouldn't think that's enough to delay or postpone.

Or….

(Bull Durham sprinkler scene gif that won't insert)

We can have an F53 reunion for lunch today!
TRM
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

I'm rooting for mother nature tonight. Torrential downpours and lightning like crazy all night. Make them play tomorrow, then fly to Houston and play Wednesday.
I was rooting for this a couple pages ago.
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3282003/replies/63288469
Quote:

Weather delay pushes game 5 to Tuesday and they go 27 innings.
All I do is Nguyen
So this brings up a good question: What happens if there is too much rain? Do they postpone the game to tomorrow, thusly postponing the start of the ALCS? Do they postpone the game to Tuesday and still play the next day in the ALCS? or do they just delay the game and play later?
MarathonAg12
All I do is Nguyen said:

So this brings up a good question: What happens if there is too much rain? Do they postpone the game to tomorrow, thusly postponing the start of the ALCS? Do they postpone the game to Tuesday and still play the next day in the ALCS? or do they just delay the game and play later?

They should have to play tomorrow and then play in the ALCS on Wednesday.

Sucks to suck
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

They do whatever favors the Yankees most
MosesHallRAB04
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

They do whatever favors the Yankees most

Both ALDS series had a plan to play game 5 with no travel day. But it wouldn't be slightly surprising to see them do that for the Yankees.
OKCAg2002
AG
If the Yankees win tonight, we 100% see Cole in game 2 on 3 days rest. If they wait to game 3, he wouldn't be available until game 7 on 3 days rest. I can't see them doing that. Either way, we have an advantage.
Ag_07
AG
I can't foresee them bumping the start of the ALCS because that then shifts every game of the series. Especially since it would result in them missing out on a primetime game Saturday since that would become the travel day.

That's a lot of shuffling that I'm not sure MLB wants to do.
AustinCountyAg
From what I've been told if it rains out tonight the game would be tomm around lunch time.
All I do is Nguyen
Agreed, but given the situation I wouldn't be surprised if they shuffle things around.

I agree with what one poster said, if they do end up postponing tonight's game and the winner of tomorrow's (theoretical) game will havbe to play back to back days while traveling.
OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah. TV wins even over the Yankees. ALCS starts on Wednesday. They could play a day game on Tuesday if absolutely necessary.
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

If the Yankees win, to make it fair for the Yankees, Games 1 and 2 of the ALCS will be played in NYC so the don't have to travel. Also games 3-7 (if necessary).
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Frok
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

If the Yankees win tonight, we 100% see Cole in game 2 on 3 days rest. If they wait to game 3, he wouldn't be available until game 7 on 3 days rest. I can't see them doing that. Either way, we have an advantage.

Depends on how the series goes IMO. They got Cortez for game 1 and Severino would be available for game 2. Not sure they would rush to get Cole in there earlier.
All I do is Nguyen
The Porkchop Express said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

If the Yankees win, to make it fair for the Yankees, Games 1 and 2 of the ALCS will be played in NYC so the don't have to travel. Also games 3-7 (if necessary).
Given your track record of predicting the future, you better quit with those shenanigans
Panama Red
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

I don't think we see Cole until Game 3.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
dumb question:

After the go ahead run why did we put Dubon in CF? Does anyone think he's a better defender than Meyers? Was Meyers hurt?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

dumb question:

After the go ahead run why did we put Dubon in CF? Does anyone think he's a better defender than Meyers? Was Meyers hurt?
Have you seen Jake throw a ball recently? He's got a longer windup than Tim Tebow, and somehow less accurate.
KC_Ag14
AG

dumb question:

Not a dumb question. Believe Jake has more range, but Dubon has the better arm. Don't hate the decision
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

dumb question:

Have you seen Jake throw a ball recently? He's got a longer windup than Tim Tebow, and somehow less accurate.
I guess I've missed his throwing struggles?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc said:

dumb question:

I guess I've missed his throwing struggles?
I think it all comes back to the fact that he never really got full strength back in his shoulder after the surgery. I think given a full healthy offseason to strengthen it, he might be able to return to form.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Makes sense. I didnt know Dubon had a cannon, isnt he a SS normally?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

He's a utility guy. Can play pretty much any middle infield or outfield position.
The Porkchop Express
AG
It all started 62 years ago today!

October 17, 1960 - The Houston Sports Association secures a National League franchise for the City of Houston in Chicago. R.E. "Bob" Smith and Judge Roy Hofheinz spearhead the effort along with Craig Cullinan and George Kirksey. Giddy civic leaders welcome the victorious men back to Houston, dreaming of one day watching a World Series in their hometown. In Washington, Sen. Lyndon Johnson also expresses joy. Baseball fans have these men to thank for the team they follow today.

Original AP story follows. I had no idea the HSA had tried to buy a few other franchise, including the Cardinals! and move them to Houston.

Chicago (AP) A 2 1/2 year struggle to get major league baseball into the City of Houston ended Monday when the National League formally awarded the fast growing Texas metropolis a franchise.
The Houston Sports Association, headed by Craig Cullinan, Jr., oilman and investment broker, is geared for the monumental task of building a new stadium and putting together an organization which can compete on a major league level.
George Kirksey, a spokesman for the Houston group, said he expects it will take four to five months to clear up various details and begin work what will be the first addition to the eight-team National League in 60 years.
"Well break ground around February or March," said Kirksey. "And we should have the stadium completed a year after that and up and ready to go in 1962.We have two advantages and those are terrain and climate."
The stadium will seat 43,581 and will have parking facilities for 22,000 automobiles. It will be located five miles (south) from downtown Houston. All parking concessions and sub-leasing rights will be maintained by the franchise owners.
Kirksey said his organization doesn't anticipate any trouble settling with the Houston Buffs of the American Association on the matters of indemnities (that have resulted from the latter's loss of their AAA minor league territorial exclusivity to operate in the Houston area beyond the 1961 season).
The American League had its sights on the Houston territory, but lost out. Kirksey said his group decided to cast its lot with the "more aggressive" National League.
Before the Association joined the Continental League in an effort to bring major league baseball to the Southwest, attempts had been made to buy the various major league teams for the purposes of transferring a major league franchise to Houston.
Involved were such teams as the Philadelphia A's, who since have moved to Kansas City, the Cleveland Indians, the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Cincinnati Redlegs.
No actual details involving players, pensions, etc., have as yet been settled and probably will not be until the National League meeting in December.
In other (AP) news from the same published page, several prominent Houstonians offered their reactions to Houston (along with New York) getting new NL franchises. The reactions, of course, were all about Houston and nothing to do with New York beyond the unstated recognition that everyone who recalls those times remembers also that it took "two towns to tango" the first NL expansion in 60 years.
"Wonderful, wonderful …. that's just not official. But I certainly want to say that I believe Houston will strongly support first class major league baseball." ~ Houston City Council Member Louie Welch ( when asked to comment due to the unavailability of Houston Mayor Lewis Cutrer.
"It represents another milestone in the sports life of Houston. It is an honor that Houston, as the sixth largest city, certainly deserves." ~ Leon Jaworski, President of the Houston Chamber of Commerce and prominent local, but nationally known attorney.
"I feel Houston is entitled to a major league baseball team. It's a big city in every way, shape and form." ~ Solly Hemus, St. Louis Cardinals Manager, former MLB player, Houston Buff, and Houston resident of several years.
"It's great! Now it's up to the fans to come out and prove we're big league. ~ I'm glad to see Houston in the National League because it looks like the National is the stronger of the two leagues. ~ We won't have to watch television now to see major league baseball." ~ Dickie Kerr, the famous honest pitcher who won two games for the fix-tainted Chicago White Sox in the 1919 World Series. Kerr was also a former head coach of the Rice Owls baseball team briefly in the late 1920s and later the Cardinal farm system manager who mentored Stan Musial through his transition from pitcher to future HOF great hitting outfielder-first baseman. Kerr also was a Houston resident and he and his wife lived in a house that Stan Musial bought for them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is the yankees version of "if we don't win they should just cancel the postseason and give us the trophy"
cone
AG
Jon Heyman is just the worst
Ag_07
AG

He doesn't...It's just better than the CFer who has limited use of his throwing shoulder.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
honestly, i didnt know yordon had a cannon until like a month ago.
The Porkchop Express
AG

honestly, i didnt know yordon had a cannon until like a month ago.
Yordan is turning into Dave Parker. Big power hitter who also hits for average and has a cannon for an arm.

If you're too young to remember him, Parker was 6'5 230 lbs, Had not quite as much power as Yordan, but won two batting titles in the 70s back to back to back seasons (.338, .334, 3 seasons of 30+ homers and 9 seasons of 90+ RBI.

Here he is gunning down the Angels' Brian Downing in the All-Star Game in 1979 with the ball bouncing 9 feet in the air off the AstroTurf

And unable to find a pop up in the outfield, and then destroying Jim Rice trying to get to third in the same game. joe Morgan playing second, and Astro Craig Reynolds at shortstop!

Ag_07
AG
ZG is the gift that keeps on giving

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjy7ud8pwkC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Panama Red
AG
Their friends should gift them some Astros gear.
First Page Last Page
Page 1559 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.