***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

4,961,823 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Good win last night. Framber is a machine.. I'm more and more impressed with him each start.
Get those 2023 Cy Young futures bets in now
texasaggie2015
AG
His composure is what really impresses me. His ability to get ground balls in big spots is uncanny.
Texaggie7nine
spadilly said:

I've seen vids of kids in Europe running out to players and as security it about to take them away the player like Messi stops them and lets the kid get a selfie with him.

I can only imagine that's going to make this kind of thing worse.
7nine
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

His composure is what really impresses me. His ability to get ground balls in big spots is uncanny.
Watching him in 2019, I never ever would have guessed "steely composure in big spots" would become one of his attributes
TREX01
A's released Elvis. Do we take a flyer here?
The Porkchop Express
bearkatag15 said:

The Yankees actually sucked in 1925, they finished 7th out of 8 teams in the AL.

Then they went to the World Series the next 3 years (1926-1928)
and again in 1932
Then four straight times from 1936-1939 (all wins)
Then three straight times from 1941-1943
Then in 1947
Then five straight times from 1949-1953 (all wins)
Then four straight times from 1955-1958.
Then five straight times from 1960-1964.

26 World Series trips in a 38-year period
19 titles.
Holy *****
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
All I do is Nguyen
The Porkchop Express said:

bearkatag15 said:

The Yankees actually sucked in 1925, they finished 7th out of 8 teams in the AL.

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

So you're saying that the bulk of the NYY titles came before hippies? That they havent really been relevant since?
No matter what
MAROON
AG
I was thinking that as well. Seems he's only played SS this season. So not a utility guy I assume.
CFTXAG10
AG
TREX01 said:

I was thinking it would be worth it as insurance, but if its true he was pissed about playing time I don't see it as a good fit. Pena, for better or worse, is gonna start.
texasaggie2015
AG
TREX01 said:

I don't see it. He's only played SS in his career (seriously, hasn't played an inning at any other position) so he doesn't solve our need for a utility guy. His complaint was also lack of playing time and I don't see him getting every day at-bats here.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a flyer on someone in a similar situation if they become available and are a better fit.
TREX01
I'd sign him and put him in the lineup over Pena. For the last 2 months, Pena, has been about the worst offensive SS in baseball. He is a rookie with no track record so it would be foolish to think it will get better at this point.
texasaggie2015
AG
Elvis hasn't been much better
astros4545
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

spadilly said:

I've seen vids of kids in Europe running out to players and as security it about to take them away the player like Messi stops them and lets the kid get a selfie with him.

Parents need a big fine
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Elvis hasn't been much better
Does have postseason experience. Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him.
wangus12
AG
astros4545 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

spadilly said:

Parents need a big fine
Pitch invasions (both kids and adults) has become a massive issue in Europe. Its gonna get worse here
chico
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Watching him in 2019, I never ever would have guessed "steely composure in big spots" would become one of his attributes

Framber? He credits getting together with a sports psychologist
Faustus

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

Have a better record than 7 other teams and you were in the World Series.
It wasn't until 1969 that you had to beat another team in the playoffs to get to the World Series (and 1961 when they expanded beyond 8 teams per conference).
bearkatag15
AG
TREX01 said:

Likely getting picked up by the White Sox
bearkatag15
AG

Did the Yankees win the World Series last night? Hard to tell by this
bearkatag15
AG

Lineup of death??
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Yup. I was pretty much done with him, thinking he needed the current josh james treatment.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Lineup of death??
If Diaz is healthy then he should be there over Yuli. But we're getting closer. Mancini is back to back days.
The Porkchop Express
Faustus said:

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

It wasn't until 1969 that you had to beat another team in the playoffs to get to the World Series (and 1961 when they expanded beyond 8 teams per conference).
But to flip that argument around, now you have 15 teams in the AL with 26 players each on their roster - That's 390 guys. The 1925 AL had 8 teams with 25 guys each, that's only 200 players total. Under those parameters, the bottom 48.7% of players in the game today, wouldn't even be in the league if there were only 8 teams, so those other 7 teams were much more stacked talent wise than a lot of the ones today so you could make the case that having the best record against much better talent (for the era) was equally difficult to winning a couple of playoff series now.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
3B Paul 97
AG
They are just trying to enjoy their win for the week.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
TREX01 said:

I'd sign him and put him in the lineup over Pena. For the last 2 months, Pena, has been about the worst offensive SS in baseball. He is a rookie with no track record so it would be foolish to think it will get better at this point.
And statistically one of the best defensively...you do not do that to your Rookie who you want to be a corner piece of your club for the future.

You're talking about a guy who they limited PT in OAKLAND there was obviously a reason
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

Faustus said:

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

But to flip that argument around, now you have 15 teams in the AL with 26 players each on their roster - That's 390 guys. The 1925 AL had 8 teams with 25 guys each, that's only 200 players total. Under those parameters, the bottom 48.7% of players in the game today, wouldn't even be in the league if there were only 8 teams, so those other 7 teams were much more stacked talent wise than a lot of the ones today so you could make the case that having the best record against much better talent (for the era) was equally difficult to winning a couple of playoff series now.
No comparison can be made between then and now. Pitching styles were different, skill levels were different, heck Babe Ruth your talking about a guy who in the end of his career they allowed to be pinch ran for...on home runs
Faustus

Faustus said:

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

The Yankees also benefited by being able to pay more than their peers for players, and a superior roster will usually rise to the top over 154 games, rather than a crap shoot of a best of seven series, which they were able to avoid until 1969.

In 1930 the Yankees were paying Babe Ruth $80,000, which was 2.4 times greater than the second highest salary earned that year (Rogers Hornsby).

https://sabr.org/research/article/mlbs-annual-salary-leaders-since-1874/

Since baseball expanded and required teams to beat another team in the playoffs before getting to the World Series (1969) the Yankees have lost 17 series (before the WS). Being gifted a World Series birth by virtue of having a better record than 7 other teams is a better bet than having to roll the dice in a 7 game series after achieving a Top 1-2 finish.
The Porkchop Express
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Faustus said:

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

No comparison can be made between then and now. Pitching styles were different, skill levels were different, heck Babe Ruth your talking about a guy who in the end of his career they allowed to be pinch ran for...on home runs
I'm not comparing talent to talent in different eras. I'm saying that if you took the bottom 49% of talent out of the majors right now and just had 8 teams, it would be very difficult to finish first among those 8 teams. When there are fewer players, regardless of the era, there are less crappy players because of the smaller # of rosters, so the competition would inherently be stiffer.
Ag_07
AG
To be fair they were limiting his PT so he wouldn't reach his PA incentive and his option for next year would vest.

There's more to it than his PT was limited so he must suck.

Granted I don't know what his production was like so he could very well suck but just saying there was shenanigans going on in OAK regarding his PT.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Faustus said:

bearkatag15 said:

and again in 1932
Then in 1947

19 titles.
Holy *****

I'm not comparing talent to talent in different eras. I'm saying that if you took the bottom 49% of talent out of the majors right now and just had 8 teams, it would be very difficult to finish first among those 8 teams. When there are fewer players, regardless of the era, there are less crappy players because of the smaller # of rosters, so the competition would inherently be stiffer.
I get what you're saying and I do agree with the comparison however in those times the player choices just can not be compared to today. Especially when you add in the fact of how pitching worked
The Porkchop Express
Well I feel like this could go on forever, but just to reiterate, I'm in no way trying to compare the game 100 years ago to what it is today. If anything it's more of a comparative math problem.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The Porkchop Express
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I put this on the back of my daughter's math notebook last year. Her teacher was not amused.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TREX01 said:

And statistically one of the best defensively...you do not do that to your Rookie who you want to be a corner piece of your club for the future.

You're talking about a guy who they limited PT in OAKLAND there was obviously a reason
Who doesn't want to see some of this outstanding defensive play in the postseason...

The Beef01
AG
I'm going to guess that PT for a team deep into last place makes sense as you'd hate to spend good years on the bench watching lesser players play....I'm equally inclined to believe that he would take a different approach being a utility/bench guy for a team who has the potential to get him a ring.
First Page Last Page
Page 1005 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.