***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,320,270 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Odo admittedly had some issues with attitude last year but he seemed to have found some new mojo in the 4-5 starts leading up to his injury. I'm happy to give him a few starts to regain his form. If he lays a few more eggs between now and the break, we can re-assess then.

Would be nice to see him find it again though. His presence gives us nice flexibility down the stretch.
Deluxe
AG
Just for fun:

Say Arte Moreno wakes up in a couple weeks and FINALLY decides to do the right thing and blow it up. Trout, Ohtani and Rendon hit the market. He'd likely never trade Trout in the division, but say he called Click and gave the following options. Would you do either?

1) Pena, Leon and Whitley
2) Tucker, Leon and H Brown
3) Leon, Lee, Urquidy, H Brown and Whitley

I'd say no to 1 and 2 but would have to think hard about 3. Trout is making $35/year through 2028 and he's 30 right now. His injury history is concerning and there may be some dead weight on the end of the deal, but it is fun to think about a lineup where Trout has Altuve/Tucker hitting in front of him and Alvarez/Bregman hitting behind him.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

Just for fun:

Say Arte Moreno weeks up in a couple weeks and FINALLY decides to do the right thing and blow it up. Trout, Ohtani and Rendon hit the market. He'd likely never trade Trout in the division, but say he called Click and gave the following options. Would you do either?

1) Pena, Leon and Whitley
2) Tucker, Leon and H Brown
3) Leon, Lee, Urquidy, H Brown and Whitley

I'd say no to 1 and 2 but would have to think hard about 3. Trout is making $35/year through 2028 and he's 30 right now. His injury history is concerning and there may be some dead weight on the end of the deal, but it is fun to think about a lineup where Trout has Altuve/Tucker hitting in front of him and Alvarez/Bregman hitting behind him.

Id rather have Ohtani than Trout.
Deluxe
AG
Fair take. He's a FA after next year tho.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
We have a DH part time LF already…where do you fit Ohtani in when he isn't pitching
W
AG
Trout is making $37 MM per year thru 2030 (according to baseball-reference).

that's a very hard pass.

it would be much, much smarter to wait until Ohtani hits free agency after 2023 or Vlad Jr. after 2025
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Jet Black
I wouldn't include anyone in the starting infield or Tucker.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
You know darn well those two won't be happening here. Might as well not start that lol
TexAg2001
AG
I don't recall a lineup where Yuli was DH and Diaz played 1st. Maybe that's backwards?
bearkatag15
AG
TexAg2001 said:

I don't recall a lineup where Yuli was DH and Diaz played 1st. Maybe that's backwards?
Diaz has played a lot of 1B for us. He is typically the primary backup for Yuli
TexAg2001
AG
I've seen him play plenty of 1B. I guess I just don't remember Yuli being the DH when he did.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
TexAg2001 said:

I've seen him play plenty of 1B. I guess I just don't remember Yuli being the DH when he did.

Curious JJ gets some big hits against the Yankees and then gets relegated to the bench when we need to sub someone in at his primary defensive positions. Dusty really thinks these rookies shouldn't play. It's what he did with both chas and Jake.
Farmer1906
AG

Rehab start in the next week or two? Be ready to
Go by the start of Aug?
Harry Dunne
I would not trade any of those combos for Trout. Franchise-crippling contract that he will not be worth in a couple of years. We have a chance to continue to be great for a long time by continuing to make the same kind of moves we have made and continuing to stay away from contracts like Trout's.
bearkatag15
AG
You think he is coming back as a starter for this year or multiple inning bullpen arm?
mwm
Trout just just stuck out upteen times against & you considering trading some studs for him? Pass.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG

This doesn't sound like he's preparing for a bullpen spot
redline248
AG
We are on vacation so i haven't been able to watch any games, lately, though I've followed them online. This team is on fire, right now.

Personal opinion no one asked for: Odorizzi's attitude last year is overblown. Dude may not pitch like Verlander, but he's every bit as competitive.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Probably talking about when they are available for a fantasy football draft
Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

LonghornDub said:

I looked at Odorizzi's career stats and wondered what in the world you liked. Let me know. I thought compared to our other pitchers he sucked even if you don't care about his abysmal lack of maturity and team spirit.
Now that sounds emotional.

He's not my favorite Astro, but anything he has said/done is entry level whiner garden variety that will be quickly forgiven with good pitching. Like Dallas Keuchel. I thought he was a huge dewsh which made it easier on me when we didn't keep him, but when he was at his peak his whiny comments didn't bother me a bit and we have enough solid guys in the clubhouse that I don't think whiny Odo is going to hurt anything.

Again, it's $8M. It's hard to get a guy only a couple of years removed from being an All-Star who has been a 30+ start guy most of his career and had a 3+ WAR 3x in a 4-year span for that money. If you're comparing everyone to Justin Verlander, you're not going to like anyone...but for $8M you get Hector Neris. So if you're telling me you can pick up a solid back end of the rotation guy for the same price as a 6th-7th inning guy then I like it.

As a point of reference, his most similar statistical comps are:

• Danny Duffy who was on a 4-yr $60M through last season (15 per)
  • Tanner Roark 2 yr $24M (12)
  • Kevin Gausman 5 yr $110M (22!)

I'll always have a soft spot for Keuchel because he's the one who started the Yankee misery tour way back in 2015. Boy it's been a fun ride, especially kicking dirt in their faces just about every other postseason!
Faustus
EastCoastAgNc said:

If Peña finishes 1st or 2nd in AL rookie of the year, the Astros lose a year of service time but get a draft pick, right? It seems like the team might get some additional bonus money too.

We should probably have this down since it seems likely at this point. Does anyone know the particulars? Google wasn't very friendly as to the details when I did a quick search.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

You think he is coming back as a starter for this year or multiple inning bullpen arm?

I 110% expect they're doing everything they can to get him ready to start like normal.

I actually think throwing out of the bullpen outs more stress on an arm in a lot of ways. I don't understand why so many just expect him to be able to flip the switch.
Ag_07
AG
Um...We watched the 2017 ALCS GM 7
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

That was a piggyback start. He can be a reliever that that throws 4-6 innings every 5th day.

The only time he was anything but a starter was the 2018 playoffs when he pitched with a ****ed up elbow. He knew he had to get surgery so he gave what he had to make a Another title run.
mwm
I wonder if Zach will tell Jose what kind of pitch he's about to throw?
Farmer1906
AG
I was thinking that. Watch him dust Jose off or something ridiculous.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Then he started 2 games in the WS.

I agree with Farmer though - I'm not really sure how his arm would handle back-to-back outings multiple times when he hasn't geared for that all season.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
mwm said:

I wonder if Zach will tell Jose what kind of pitch he's about to throw?
Eephus...you know Altuve is coming out of his shoes.
Ag_07
AG
I'm just bustin balls

I'm not a pitching coach by trade so I don't know shlt but just from a workload aspect is why I would like to see him become a BP guy. Especially this season because I'm not sure how long he can get stretched out.

I really think he could translate to an elite late inning BP arm and even possibly a closer.

But if they think he can be healthy enough to be a productive starter than hell yeah let's do it.

It's not a hill I'm willing to die on.
TREX01
Hate to be the debbie downer of the group but I just dont think we see Lance throw this year. Its been 9 months now, he is just throwing live BP. Seems to me there will be something that sets him back or slows him down and any little hiccup will be 4-6 weeks at least.
McInnis
AG
Prosperdick said:

I'll always have a soft spot for Keuchel because he's the one who started the Yankee misery tour way back in 2015. Boy it's been a fun ride, especially kicking dirt in their faces just about every other postseason!
I hadn't given Keuchel much thought this year until now so I just looked him up. I see the Dbacks picked him up after the White Sox released him. In 41 innings this year he has an 8.27 era and 2.10 whip - yikes, He got shelled in his first start with Arizona. Sounds like his baseball career is hanging by a pretty thin thread.

Astros caught a break when he didn't accept that insulting offer they made him. He would still be making about $25MM this year wouldn't he?
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

TexAg2001 said:

Curious JJ gets some big hits against the Yankees and then gets relegated to the bench when we need to sub someone in at his primary defensive positions. Dusty really thinks these rookies shouldn't play. It's what he did with both chas and Jake.
I think Dusty is pretty old school about vets and rookies. Rookies earn their time with Dusty not so much with doing well on the field but by being part of the team environment. Pena is different because he earned the starting job in spring training. Other guys need to be around the clubhouse, see how the culture works, see how to fit in and be excited about your teammates performing well instead of being me-firsters, all that good stuff that makes the Astros a unique, winning team, even though they have changed enormously in the last 5-6 years.

I know Dusty gets a lot of **** on here, but a manager who rewards his veterans with lots of playing time is a popular manager.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
First Page Last Page
Page 549 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.