***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,319,966 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

texasaggie2015
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Last time we had walk offs 2 games in a row? Ever?

Funny... I was at both of those games in 2007.
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

Wait...People are upset that Odo's first start back after being carted off on a stretcher was a bit shaky?

Damn y'all set the bar high.

And I'm not all that surprised either.
Haha... had this same thought. The fact that we won his first start back is huge. Not everyone can be Justin Verlander and look like a Cy Young candidate first game back from injury.
The Porkchop Express
AG
New World Ag said:

Apparently all the Angels' uniforms just say "ANGELS". Likely because the official team name is "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", so just having LA or Anaheim wouldn't work.

Did i make these graphics on my Koala Pad in the 1980s?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How about some props for compiling the 2nd best record in the league with one of the toughest stretches, Buster.
Furlock Bones
AG
I truly can't stand Buster.
Eso si, Que es
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag_07 said:

Wait...People are upset that Odo's first start back after being carted off on a stretcher was a bit shaky?

Damn y'all set the bar high.

And I'm not all that surprised either.
Haha... had this same thought. The fact that we won his first start back is huge. Not everyone can be Justin Verlander and look like a Cy Young candidate first game back from injury.
I personally love when people talk bad about our players, because our players usually make them eat crow.

Odo was out of his mind before the injury. While I don't expect him back to that level, he will certainly locate his pitches better and be more effective. It's nice to have the luxury of waiting on him to find it. I think it will be worth the wait.
Ag_07
AG
That's the benefit of a 13.5 game lead in July.

We have the luxury of letting guys figure it out. See Bregman and Yuli at the plate and Odo on the mound.

If we were in a dog fight for the division I'd be doing more clamoring that we can't afford to let guys figure it out. But that's not the case.

At this point there's no reason to fret about a guy coming off a long IL stint being rusty.
Deluxe
AG
As we emerge with the best pitching staff in baseball once again, just want to give a shout out to James Click. Our pitching staff when he took over had just lost Cole, Miley, Osuna, Harris, Rondon and was on the verge of losing JV for two years. Now our problem is that we have too many good pitchers.

Under his regime, Framber has emerged as an ace, Javier has lived up to (if not exceeded) his potential and Luis Garcia came from no where to be a very good starter. We found Stanek in the free agency scrap-pile and Montero as a trade throw-in.

Obviously not ALL the credit goes to Click. Luhnow's nerds built the analytics infrastructure and Maldy's in-game perspective helps a ton. But Click has lived up to the hype in terms of translating that Tampa pitching success to Houston.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drurybr01.shtml

Wonder if this guy might be worth a look for a trade? 1 yr contract for $900k, seems to be a utility guy, might be good to replace Diaz and wouldn't have to give up much.
Harry Dunne
LonghornDub said:

Harry, that performance today was very bad against one of the worst teams in MLB. How many designated losses do you want if we are to try to catch the Yankees for home field?
Couldn't care less about the Yankees. We have the 2nd best record in baseball and are on pace to win 107 games. If we keep that up, we will be just fine.

Go look at Odorizzi's game log this season and then go look at his career before getting emotional and running a guy to the bullpen after one bad start.

Unrelated, but what about Seth Martinez? Low key MVP of yesterday's game.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne said:

LonghornDub said:

Harry, that performance today was very bad against one of the worst teams in MLB. How many designated losses do you want if we are to try to catch the Yankees for home field?
Couldn't care less about the Yankees. We have the 2nd best record in baseball and are on pace to win 107 games. If we keep that up, we will be just fine.

Go look at Odorizzi's game log this season and then go look at his career before getting emotional and running a guy to the bullpen after one bad start.

Unrelated, but what about Seth Martinez? Low key MVP of yesterday's game.
I really hope we don't trade him. He would be very useful in the post-season.
BCEDAg
AG
Astros pitching has been phenomenal so far this season. There were folks, including me, who were concerned with Strom leaving that the pitching would take a step back. But actually it appears to have taken a step forward without Strom. The pitching talent level has improved due to more maturity and experience would be my opinion.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
LonghornDub
ECA and Harry - so on a team with as good chemistry as the Astros you care not a whit about Odorizzi's whiny b**** factor? I do.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Prosperdick
AG
BCEDAg said:

Astros pitching has been phenomenal so far this season. There were folks, including me, who were concerned with Strom leaving that the pitching would take a step back. But actually it appears to have taken a step forward without Strom. The pitching talent level has improved due to more maturity and experience would be my opinion.
I wonder if perhaps Strom was starting to lose his fastball (for lack of a better term) and now we're building on what he left but improving it. The results certainly speak for themselves.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

BCEDAg said:

I wonder if perhaps Strom was starting to lose his fastball (for lack of a better term) and now we're building on what he left but improving it. The results certainly speak for themselves.
He's done pretty well in Arizona turning that staff around.
LonghornDub
I looked at Odorizzi's career stats and wondered what in the world you liked. Let me know. I thought compared to our other pitchers he sucked even if you don't care about his abysmal lack of maturity and team spirit.

Deluxe
AG
Prosperdick said:

BCEDAg said:

When MLB reigned in the sticky stuff, Strom's utility took a big hit. He served us well and I have no ill-will toward him whatsover. By almost all accounts, he's a great dude and was probably a nice resource in terms of identifying tips (on our guys and opponents). But the reason our staff was awesome under his tenure was much more because of our nerds/analytics than him. We know how to attack our opponents weaknesses/tendencies better than anyone else. That comes from upstairs.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

It is going to be close the remainder of the season.

I think if Pena wins it, it will be because of the team he's playing. Both have been really, really good and I wouldn't be upset if Julio won it.

I do think the pressure Pena has been under is greater than Julio for sure though.
LonghornDub
Deluxe - Agree

Harry - you're the first in a long time to accuse me of being emotional. I don't know the man personally. I freely admit I don't like him as a player for the reasons previously stated, and for the same reasons I didn't like acquiring him. They got rid of him for the same reasons.

Do you actually like him or are you trying to defend Click's decision? I think Click's been okay other than wasting a place on Odorizzi, and no one is 100% in his position.

W
AG
BCEDAg said:

yes, it's one of those things...that when change occurs...new things are learned.

Strom was an excellent pitching coach, but the Astros' staff is doing just fine without him
Silent For Too Long
We are having a pretty good season when the only things we have to ***** about are our 6th best starter and our catchers not hitting great...
Ag_07
AG
Odorizzi was acquired when Framber went down for what was initially thought as a year long injury.

Yeah it was a bit of a stretch and a bit of a panic move but his acquisition hasn't crippled the ability to build the roster and resign guys. It's far from a boat anchor.

Odorizzi is a solid back end rotation depth guy. He had his issues last year but after a rough start this year seemed to have figured something out and was performing exceptionally well.

I don't think anyone is saying he's an ace and needs to be given every chance to prove himself. But given his recent success prior to the injury he does deserve more than one start after the long layoff before we send him packing or to the BP.

And not sure where the whiny bltch comment came from. He had one issue awhile ago about being upset but when he's been bad he's done anything but bltch. I actually think his attitude is a breath of fresh air when most of the time we get canned coach speak.
Harry Dunne
LonghornDub said:

Deluxe - Agree

Harry - you're the first in a long time to accuse me of being emotional. I don't know the man personally. I freely admit I don't like him as a player for the reasons previously stated, and for the same reasons I didn't like acquiring him. They got rid of him for the same reasons.

Do you actually like him or are you trying to defend Click's decision? I think Click's been okay other than wasting a place on Odorizzi, and no one is 100% in his position.
I meant emotional as in overreacting to one bad outing.

I don't really have any feelings about him personally. I'm really just looking at the numbers and thinking about the big picture.

I think the jury is still out on whether the Odo move was "wasted". I think Click did the best he could based on the information he had at the time. I don't think anyone could have imagined the pitching playing out the way it has. Certainly no one thought it was a bad move when Odo was mowing them down before the injury and like I said, I predict we are going to be down to 5 healthy starters at some point this season and move might end up looking pretty solid depending on how the guy pitches.
Prosperdick
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

We are having a pretty good season when the only things we have to ***** about are our 6th best starter and our catchers not hitting great...
Don't forget *****ing about when Dusty (or the analytics nerds) tells a hot hitter "hey, you're getting a rest tomorrow. Yes, I know you've been on a tear lately. Yes, I know we have an off day afterwards. Don't argue, it's science."
Cromagnum
AG
Oof. Glad we are getting this performance out the way today so we will kick ass tomorrow when I can attend in person.
Beau Holder
AG
Odorizzi makes me nervous every time he's on the mound but I don't hate him. I think everyone has a valid position on it, no matter which side you're on. I was turned off by his commentary last year; I'm also impressed by his candor and taking of responsibility this year. When he's locating and his cutter is working, he's pretty good. More often than we'd like, he's not, and it isn't.

But more significantly, imo: early in the year my issues were entirely with the offense, its lack of clutch, and its lack of fire. If we got down early, we lost. Yesterday they reversed all of that, and it was probably an important comeback for this team. So in a sense, I'm glad he gave them a chance to do that by performing poorly but not utter-meltdown poorly (still gave you 4.0 despite getting hit every inning).

We'll see how he does next time up. I am willing to give a tiny bit of grace based on how he was performing when he got hurt, how quickly he came back from what we thought was a far worse injury, and it being his first time back out.
bearkatag15
AG
Cromagnum said:

Oof. Glad we are getting this performance out the way today so we will kick ass tomorrow when I can attend in person.

Watching the replay?
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Cromagnum
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Cromagnum said:

Watching the replay?

Maybe so. LOL. I was not in front of a TV at all yesterday.
E
AG
What's Pena's contract situation?

I look on baseballreference and he's not listed under the Astros contracts and sprotrac has a 1 yr $700K deal. Is he really on a 1 year deal? I thought he was on a rookie contract with future arbitration years
linkdude
AG
The rookie/pre-arb deals are year to year renewals with slight raises.
E
AG
Ok, thats what I figured but I saw all the other players future arbitration years listed but not his.

Also just noticed JJ Matijevic and Korey Lee's not listed which makes sense with being rookies.
Harry Dunne
LonghornDub said:

I looked at Odorizzi's career stats and wondered what in the world you liked. Let me know. I thought compared to our other pitchers he sucked even if you don't care about his abysmal lack of maturity and team spirit.
Now that sounds emotional.

He's not my favorite Astro, but anything he has said/done is entry level whiner garden variety that will be quickly forgiven with good pitching. Like Dallas Keuchel. I thought he was a huge dewsh which made it easier on me when we didn't keep him, but when he was at his peak his whiny comments didn't bother me a bit and we have enough solid guys in the clubhouse that I don't think whiny Odo is going to hurt anything.

Again, it's $8M. It's hard to get a guy only a couple of years removed from being an All-Star who has been a 30+ start guy most of his career and had a 3+ WAR 3x in a 4-year span for that money. If you're comparing everyone to Justin Verlander, you're not going to like anyone...but for $8M you get Hector Neris. So if you're telling me you can pick up a solid back end of the rotation guy for the same price as a 6th-7th inning guy then I like it.

As a point of reference, his most similar statistical comps are:

• Danny Duffy who was on a 4-yr $60M through last season (15 per)
  • Tanner Roark 2 yr $24M (12)
  • Kevin Gausman 5 yr $110M (22!)
First Page Last Page
Page 548 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.