***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,306,987 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I hate Jeff as much as the next guy...but damn this is hilarious
EastCoastAgNc
AG

What in the wide world of sports is going on in the WhiteSox dugout?
agdaddy04
AG
Wabs said:

The Siri experiment is over
When comments are made like this, are you just looking at offensive production? He's in the top 15 in defensive runs saved, and that's with approximately 1/2 the innings of everyone else in the top 15.
n_touch
on a 1-2 count too lol
EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch said:

on a 1-2 count too lol
The combination of the announcers trying so hard not to rip Tony a new one with the guy screaming "TONY WHAT ARE YOU DOING IT'S TWO STRIKES!"

He might be drunk in the dugout
redline248
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

When comments are made like this, are you just looking at offensive production? He's in the top 15 in defensive runs saved, and that's with approximately 1/2 the innings of everyone else in the top 15.
which is why he should be relegated to late inning defensive replacement
redline248
AG
You have to fire the manager for something so stupid, right?
Mathguy64
AG
If I'm the GM I have a real hard conversation with my manager over what the hell he was doing. Given they are below .500 and in 3rd place, firing him would be on the table.
n_touch
Analytics bro

Ag_07
AG
And just for the record that's hardly an absolute bomb
Marvin
AG
LaRussa said the analytics told him to walk Turner once they got to two strikes. Mkkkay. I guess he was hoping to get him out before a two-strike count?!

Beats me. My own opinion is Tony's brain is pickled...
Harry Dunne
redline248 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

Which hopefully he will be when Meyers is back.

Hot take: Siri is a better overall ballplayer than Marisnick ever was. If everyone is healthy in the playoffs Siri will have the Marisnick role, which is pinch running defense and like 3 ABs per series… but don't forget that Jake played in 100 to 130 games for five seasons straight. You need guys for depth that don't make 35 million per year.

My only problem with Siri is it that he seems dewshy as a human. He's a more than decent 4th-5th outfielder. Certainly better than most of our recent ones.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

Hot take: Siri is a better overall ballplayer than Marisnick ever was. If everyone is healthy in the playoffs Siri will have the Marisnick role, which is pinch running defense and like 3 ABs per series… but don't forget that Jake played in 100 to 130 games for five seasons straight. You need guys for depth that don't make 35 million per year.

My only problem with Siri is it that he seems dewshy as a human. He's a more than decent 4th-5th outfielder. Certainly better than most of our recent ones.

Hey Siri over Jake from Rake Farm??!! Off days suck, man. People lose their minds…

Haha, seriously the data may prove you right, but Jake has some timely skins on the wall for the Astros. 9th inning to preserve a win- I'll take Jake in CF from April to October. Just my opinion.
Harry Dunne
I like Jake better, that's for sure. But Siri is more talented.

I don't want either of them seeing significant ABs in the playoffs. Jake had some great moments but we wouldn't remember him as fondly if he had been whiffing three times per game in the postseason. Luckily it never came to that.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I don't want either of them seeing significant ABs in the playoffs. Jake had some great moments but we wouldn't remember him as fondly if he had been whiffing three times per game in the postseason. Luckily it never came to that.

Yep, I was just referencing the comment on late-inning defensive replacement. I'll take Jake in that spot.
Marvin
AG
Now, if I needed a ride-or-die, Siri is my man.
MaxPower
redline248 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

Yeah, he really is Jake Marisnick. A good player to have on your team but don't want him starting in a regular basis. He tantalizes you with all the tools but ultimately just can't hit the baseball often enough.
bearkatag15
AG

best $324M ever spent
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

best $324M ever spent

Think the DBacks are keeping tabs?
spadilly
S
My favorite Lima story -
He was always signing for kids before and after games. I remember getting him to sign one of my hats one day. About two weeks later, I went to another game and was waiting on the first row hoping to get some more. He was signing again that day, and made his way down the line to me. He stopped, saw my hat, and said something along the lines of "I signed it once, and I'm going to sign it again."
And he did. Right under the first signature.
Hilarious.

Wish I could find that hat. No telling where it ended up.
Eso si, Que es
Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

Hey Siri over Jake from Rake Farm??!! Off days suck, man. People lose their minds…

Haha, seriously the data may prove you right, but Jake has some timely skins on the wall for the Astros. 9th inning to preserve a win- I'll take Jake in CF from April to October. Just my opinion.
Did we just start calling some new guy Jake from Rake farm? Is it possible people won't even notice that Myers isn't Merisnick?

Mathguy64
AG
So I looked and LaRussa is a complete moron. With a 1-2 count in his career, Turner is slashing .197/.204/.304. That's an OPS+ of 19 compared to his overall OPS. He claims analytics was the reason. He's drunk. Or suffering a stroke.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bulldog73
AG
We saw it earlier this year when tceh stole off the sips.
n_touch
Mathguy64 said:

So I looked and LaRussa is a complete moron. With a 1-2 count in his career, Turner is slashing .197/.204/.304. That's an OPS+ of 19 compared to his overall OPS. He claims analytics was the reason. He's drunk. Or suffering a stroke.
Is he really claiming analytics?
Mathguy64
AG
n_touch said:

Mathguy64 said:

Is he really claiming analytics?

This was what he said when asked why he did it.

"Is there some question about whether that was good move or not?…Do you know what [Turner] hits against left-handed pitching with 0-1 or two strikes? Do you know what Muncy hits with two strikes against a left-handed pitcher? Is that really a question? We had an open base and Muncy happened to be the guy behind him and that's a better matchup…Somebody disagrees, that's the beauty of this game, they're welcome to it. But that wasn't a tough call."
astros4545
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Siri may be more talented

But average Jake Marisnick during the Astros is better than what Siri has been this year
MaxPower
The premise of his argument made no sense. Muncy comes up with 0 strikes, not 2. And why would you pitch to Turner at all if you would rather face Muncy? He's certainly better with 0 or 1 strikes than with 2 so why roll the dice on those first 2 strikes? He should be fired on the spot because not only did he clearly have a moment of senility but even after the game he's convinced he made the right decision.
bearkatag15
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Quote:

Jose Lima was walking around before the game looking for kids to give T shirts to.
Jose Lima was amazing. My personal Lima story...

My dad would take me to Astros games several hours before the game and we would wait outside where the players entered. Some would stop and sign autographs. Lima would stop every single time.

I was probably 9 years old when he pulled up to sign and I said I liked his car. He asked my dad's permission and let me sit in the front seat and drove me around the block. One of the coolest things ever for a 9 year old.
Did he drive you to Taco Ole?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
wangus12
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

How dare they call themselves the Indians!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Anyone old enough to call Dusty Baker "young fella" shouldn't be managing a baseball team.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
n_touch
Casa Ole
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ole today!
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 377 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.