***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,277,411 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Homer Genius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The pitcher spiked the 0-2 pitch allowing runner to go to 2nd. With an open base now, Tony seemed to have liked the lefty lefty matchup better than 1-2 matchup with Turner. I can see the analytics liking the IBB if it was even count or hitters count, but not 1-2. I hate to defend Tony, but it's not worse than Madden IBB a runner home.
Farmer1906
AG
But what if literally combined them as in added them together.

.222 / .406 / .373 / .779

That's about how well Brantley has been this year.
Mathguy64
AG
You planning on sending them to the plate at the same time?
Buck Compton
AG
Mathguy64 said:

You planning on sending them to the plate at the same time?
Now there's an idea. Lefty and righty both swinging at the same time. I would probably watch that baseball in an exhibition game.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Someone send that idea to the Savannah Bananas
The Beef01
AG
spadilly said:

My favorite Lima story -
He was always signing for kids before and after games. I remember getting him to sign one of my hats one day. About two weeks later, I went to another game and was waiting on the first row hoping to get some more. He was signing again that day, and made his way down the line to me. He stopped, saw my hat, and said something along the lines of "I signed it once, and I'm going to sign it again."
And he did. Right under the first signature.
Hilarious.

Wish I could find that hat. No telling where it ended up.
I think the best Lima story I've ever heard came a few weeks ago, actually, as I was listening to John & Lance one morning and they were reminiscing about him.

Lance told the story of running into Lima out at Sam's Boat on Richmond one night and mentioning something about his beer league softball game the next day and Jose going crazy and talking about how he is the greatest softball player of all time, etc. Lance invites him to come play as a joke (since it was like September and the middle of the pennant chase....he thought there was no way was happening) and sure enough, Jose shows up the next night all decked out and ready to play.

He is running his mouth to the other team and goes up his first AB and is all expressive (typical Lima) and swings out of his shoes on the 1st pitch and completely fans while everyone busts out laughing.

He apparently took this whole thing about as seriously as anyone could and was decked-out in gold chains, etc. the whole time....just amazing b/c I can completely see his mannerisms going through this routine.
texasaggie2015
AG
Incredible.
07ag
AG
spadilly said:

My favorite Lima story -
He was always signing for kids before and after games. I remember getting him to sign one of my hats one day. About two weeks later, I went to another game and was waiting on the first row hoping to get some more. He was signing again that day, and made his way down the line to me. He stopped, saw my hat, and said something along the lines of "I signed it once, and I'm going to sign it again."
And he did. Right under the first signature.
Hilarious.

Wish I could find that hat. No telling where it ended up.
Lima [story] time,, i was one of those kids back in the 90's that hung around after the game and got an autograph from Lima. gave him a pen to sign my baseball, then let him keep the pen to sign others. i remember walking away going up the steps and hearing Lima asking repeatedly "Hey who's pen is this?" "Who lent me this pen?" "Who needs their pen back?" etc. while he kept signing autographs for other kids. i wonder if he wound up keeping it or if another kid took it

good guy Jose Lima
https://ts.la/eric59704
Marvin
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

redline248 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Wabs said:

The Siri experiment is over
When comments are made like this, are you just looking at offensive production? He's in the top 15 in defensive runs saved, and that's with approximately 1/2 the innings of everyone else in the top 15.
which is why he should be relegated to late inning defensive replacement
Which hopefully he will be when Meyers is back.

Hot take: Siri is a better overall ballplayer than Marisnick ever was. If everyone is healthy in the playoffs Siri will have the Marisnick role, which is pinch running defense and like 3 ABs per series… but don't forget that Jake played in 100 to 130 games for five seasons straight. You need guys for depth that don't make 35 million per year.

My only problem with Siri is it that he seems dewshy as a human. He's a more than decent 4th-5th outfielder. Certainly better than most of our recent ones.

Hey Siri over Jake from Rake Farm??!! Off days suck, man. People lose their minds…

Haha, seriously the data may prove you right, but Jake has some timely skins on the wall for the Astros. 9th inning to preserve a win- I'll take Jake in CF from April to October. Just my opinion.
Did we just start calling some new guy Jake from Rake farm? Is it possible people won't even notice that Myers isn't Merisnick?

There is only one Jake from Rake Farm!
mAgnoliAg
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Skipping Javier

****ing a I bought tickets for Monday night in Arlington to watch verlander
Farmer1906
AG
Since 2020 TED Ranks

Advanced
WAR - 12th
wRC+ - 11th
wOBA - 12th

Standard
AVG - 23rd
OBP - 30th
SLG - 10th
OPS - 13th

Counting
AB - 53rd
RBI - 11th
HR - 25th
SB - 14th

Fielding
OAA - 24th
UZR - 40th
DRS - 6th

Now that Yordan is getting the shine he rightfully deserves nationally, its TED's turn. Extend him, Click & Crane.
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Since 2020 TED Ranks

Advanced
WAR - 12th
wRC+ - 11th
wOBA - 12th

Standard
AVG - 23rd
OBP - 30th
SLG - 10th
OPS - 13th

Counting
AB - 53rd
RBI - 11th
HR - 25th
SB - 14th

Fielding
OAA - 24th
UZR - 40th
DRS - 6th

Now that Yordan is getting the shine he rightfully deserves nationally, its TED's turn. Extend him, Click & Crane.

Or just flip him for a rental lefty reliever.
n_touch
Save some videos from Sunday to your phone and watch those in the bottom half of the innings
baseballaficionado
Farmer1906 said:

Since 2020 TED Ranks

Advanced
WAR - 12th
wRC+ - 11th
wOBA - 12th

Standard
AVG - 23rd
OBP - 30th
SLG - 10th
OPS - 13th

Counting
AB - 53rd
RBI - 11th
HR - 25th
SB - 14th

Fielding
OAA - 24th
UZR - 40th
DRS - 6th

Yordan is one of the nicest, most humble people you will ever meet. That dude is a beast and deserves every dollar he is getting. His BA has actually gone up since the contract and I think he will continue to prove he was worth the money. The Astros tried to jack him around by keeping him with the Express longer for arbitration reasons, so I am glad they came to their senses.

From the first time we saw him in RR, you could tell he was going to be a special hitter.

I know he isn't the only 44, but before he was known you never saw kids wearing 44. Now, you see a ton of 44's at PG and USSSA tournaments.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Texaggie7nine
EastCoastAgNc said:

7nine
The Porkchop Express
AG
n_touch said:

Casa Ole
Thanks for the pick me up.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
3B Paul 97
AG
Jose Lima Jr. coaches a 14u team that was playing against my son's team. I was chatting with him and said I couldn't pass a Casa Ole without thinking about his dad. Got a good laugh out of him.
maca1028
Lima was one of a kind.
iamtheglove
Farmer1906 said:

Since 2020 TED Ranks

Advanced
WAR - 12th
wRC+ - 11th
wOBA - 12th

Standard
AVG - 23rd
OBP - 30th
SLG - 10th
OPS - 13th

Counting
AB - 53rd
RBI - 11th
HR - 25th
SB - 14th

Fielding
OAA - 24th
UZR - 40th
DRS - 6th

I thought I read somewhere that they tried to extend him but Tucker rejected the offer. Does anyone know if that is accurate?
Farmer1906
AG
iamtheglove said:

Farmer1906 said:

Since 2020 TED Ranks

Advanced
WAR - 12th
wRC+ - 11th
wOBA - 12th

Standard
AVG - 23rd
OBP - 30th
SLG - 10th
OPS - 13th

Counting
AB - 53rd
RBI - 11th
HR - 25th
SB - 14th

Fielding
OAA - 24th
UZR - 40th
DRS - 6th

I thought I read somewhere that they tried to extend him but Tucker rejected the offer. Does anyone know if that is accurate?
That is correct. They tried. it didn't work out yet.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Kyle-Tucker-have-discussed-long-term-17180065.php

Quote:

The Astros and Kyle Tucker engaged in negotiations on a contract extension earlier this season, the outfielder confirmed Tuesday.

The two sides did not reach an agreement, but Tucker did not rule out the possibility of more in-season discussions.

"Regardless, I'm here for this year and the next three," Tucker said Tuesday. "There's plenty of time before my free-agent year comes. I'm always open to talking. Obviously, I'd like to get it out of the way if something does happen just to not prolong it over a long period of time."

Asked if the two sides got close to an agreement, Tucker said: "I kind of want to keep those numbers and everything just between us." Tucker is represented by Excel Sports Management.

Some players set a deadline for the end of spring training to reach extension agreements so their regular seasons are not interrupted. Tucker did not seem fazed by the possibility of more in-season discussions.
"When I'm at the field, I focus on what I need to for the game," Tucker said. "I don't really try to focus too much outside of what's going on here at the field. It didn't really affect me too much."

07ag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

good thing i have 2 tv's setup,, ag baseball on one on silent and astros with bagwell on the other
https://ts.la/eric59704
BTKAG97
AG
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/yordan-alvarez-might-just-be-baseballs-best-hitter-look-out-mike-trout/

Quote:

Yordan lvarez has been every bit as advertised since his major league debut with the Houston Astros in 2019. The Cuban-born outfielder and designated hitter is an intimidating presence in the batter's box he's listed at 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, but it would be reasonable to take the over on both of those figures. lvarez did nothing but hit as a minor leaguer, despite being younger than his competition at every level.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Sucks even more because that means I get Urquidy night
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Im going to guess there wont be much on this thread tonight...
The Porkchop Express
AG
Pretty great This Day in Astros History moment today.

1974 - Philadelphia's Mike Schmidt hits arguably the longest ball in Astrodome history although it is only a single. The ball strikes a speaker that hung from the roof of the Dome, 117 feet above centerfield and 300 feet from home plate, only to bounce back into play as a live ball. Although the bases are full, confused Phillies only move up one base. It hardly matters as the Phils crush the Astros, 12-0. Schmidt's blast, if unimpeded, was estimated to travel 600 feet.

Site includes the actual radio call!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SquirrellyDan
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

1974 - Philadelphia's Mike Schmidt hits arguably the longest ball in Astrodome history although it is only a single. The ball strikes a speaker that hung from the roof of the Dome, 117 feet above centerfield and 300 feet from home plate, only to bounce back into play as a live ball. Although the bases are full, confused Phillies only move up one base. It hardly matters as the Phils crush the Astros, 12-0. Schmidt's blast, if unimpeded, was estimated to travel 600 feet.

Milo Hamilton on the call right? I met him once when I was a kid, one of the radio greats.

Edit: I guess the predates Milo's time in Houston. Anyone have a guess on who that was on the call?
The Porkchop Express
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Milo Hamilton on the call right? I met him once when I was a kid, one of the radio greats.

Edit: I guess the predates Milo's time in Houston. Anyone have a guess on who that was on the call?
I think it's Gene Elston. He and Milo really sound a lot alike though. I thought they were the same person throughout most of my childhood.
jkag89
Gene Elson. Fell asleep many a summer night listening to Gene when I was a kid.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Beef01
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

I saw the same thing happen in '96 (I think) when Rob Deer did it with the Padres…I was absolutely amazed at how someone could hit it that far. Also got flipped off by Ricky Henderson for calling him a has-been and talking **** to him from the CF GA seats.
First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.