***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,676 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
AggieMD95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Ags #1 said:

So do we move bregman or yuli down? And move tucker and pena up? Or just hope bregs and yuli figure it out or alex finds a trash can?
Bregman absolutely has to be moved down. Can't put Tucker there though so it would be Pena

Seems obvious to me that Tucker and Peña should go 2-3. They're faster and hitting better than breg and uncle mike. Less pressure on bregs is a fringe benefit.
BadAggie
AG
Seattle takes the first game.

TRM
AG
Well that explains it. I didn't watch the weekend series.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BadAggie
AG
Dusty: pitches happen, people get mad because it's hot outside, now I gotta pitch crappy relievers because you tossed my closer
Memphis 7
Scott Servais is the Bill O'Brian of MLB.
heavens11
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Brantley is hitting .287 and just went 3 for 5 tonight and has the 2nd highest batting average on the team right now. Why move him down?

I have no opinion on where he belongs in the order but it sure would be nice if he had a little more pop. I think he has 3 HRs at the 1/3rd point of the season. Love that he's a professional hitter just personally would like to see more power
Teddy Perkins
AG
Until Bregman figures his **** out, I'd rather just swap Bregman for Pena and move Tucker up behind Alvarez.

Altuve
Brantley
Pena
Alvarez
Tucker
Yuli
Bregman
Chas/Siri
Machete
Farmer1906
AG
Do we agree the Siri trial run ends with New Jake is back?

I think Chas has proven he's been better and plenty good to be a starter.

Over the last 2 seasons, Chas ranks 41st in wRC+ for OFers (min 450 PA). He's above Jorge Soler, Robbie Grossman, Michael Conforto, and just behind Joc Pederson and Tyler Naquin.

Switch is over the WAR for the same group and he moves up to 39th. That helps since he plays such a strong OF. He's ahead of guys like Kris Bryant, Ian Happ, & Jesse Winkler. He's just behind Michael Brantley & Ketel Marte. Unlike wRC+, WAR is affected by volume and Chas has significantly less volume than most of these guys around him.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Over the last 2 seasons, Chas ranks 41st in wRC+ for OFers (min 450 PA). He's above Jorge Soler, Robbie Grossman, Michael Conforto, and just behind Joc Pederson and Tyler Naquin.

Switch is over the WAR for the same group and he moves up to 39th. That helps since he plays such a strong OF. He's ahead of guys like Kris Bryant, Ian Happ, & Jesse Winkler. He's just behind Michael Brantley & Ketel Marte. Unlike wRC+, WAR is affected by volume and Chas has significantly less volume than most of these guys around him.
I'll be really curious to see what they decide. The determining factor could be who we can get more for in a trade (probably Chas).

If we do deal Chas, I can see him being like Laureano, Grossman, etc. Leave Houston with a little chip on his shoulder and be a pest when we play him.
Bogey1996
Yuli and Bregman both approaching Mendoza line. For a former batting champ and what should be a regular all-star, that is pretty unacceptable at this point in the season. Bat them 7 and 8 till they get their junk together.
Deluxe
AG
I watch Bregman's YouTube stuff periodically. There's alot of content of him working with his hitting instructor that he's had since he was like 10. The stuff they talk about and get him to feel in his swing is very interesting from a technique nerd perspective.

It's hard not to watch him mash the ball in the cage and think he's got it all figured out. But it hasn't really translated on the field for a while now.

Part of me wonders if he's gotten too deep down the technique rabbit hole and just needs to go play. Maybe he needs a fresh set of eyes and get back to basics a little. I can't imagine trying to square up 95 cutters while I'm thinking about 3-4 different things in my swing.

To be fair, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just a theory.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Pettis
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I watch Bregman's YouTube stuff periodically. There's alot of content of him working with his hitting instructor that he's had since he was like 10. The stuff they talk about and get him to feel in his swing is very interesting from a technique nerd perspective.

It's hard not to watch him mash the ball in the cage and think he's got it all figured out. But it hasn't really translated on the field for a while now.

Part of me wonders if he's gotten too deep down the technique rabbit hole and just needs to go play. Maybe he needs a fresh set of eyes and get back to basics a little. I can't imagine trying to square up 95 cutters while I'm thinking about 3-4 different things in my swing.

It doesn't look like he's had much fun since 2019. He looks so dang tight out there. Don't see a ton of smiles.

I think the cheating scandal probably has effected him mentally more than he would admit. I can see him being a guy that wants to prove to everyone he can play just as well without the scandal and is therefore putting more pressure on himself than there really needs to be.
The Beef01
AG
Farmer1906 said:

100%....Siri would be fun if it felt like we were seeing him develop, but he feels like that die is cast.

I'd actually be alright with Siri if he would develop a true utility persona and could be used in the infield to spell guys when you have an injury to a middle infielder/bench guy.

Truly, he'd be a great utility guy to have on the bench if he could cover 6 or 7 positions on the field.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'll be really curious to see what they decide. The determining factor could be who we can get more for in a trade (probably Chas).

If we do deal Chas, I can see him being like Laureano, Grossman, etc. Leave Houston with a little chip on his shoulder and be a pest when we play him.

Are we in a position to just ship him away? I like New Jake as much as anyone but he's not a sure thing. Brantley will be gone next year and you can bring Leon up, but he may not be better than Chas yet. At worst he's a plus plus 4th OFer on the cheap for years. Too valuable for me unless we go out and buy someone in FA next year.
n_touch
Just checking the temperature of the room today. Who are we trading? Bregman? Tucker? Siri? Everyone and start from scratch?
07ag
AG
n_touch said:

Just checking the temperature of the room today. Who are we trading? Bregman? Tucker? Siri? Everyone and start from scratch?
Yordan, definitely, i know the ink isn't dry on his contract yet, but, 0-4 yesterday? clearly on the decline
https://ts.la/eric59704
Beerosch
AG
Bregman is hitting in front of Yordan. If he can't hit there then he's in big trouble.
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Astros: OF Chas McCormick

The return of center fielder Jake Meyers later this month clutters the Astros' outfield situation, which has Jose Siri and McCormick splitting time in center and a pair of Triple-A outfielders having some success. With budding stars Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez entrenched in the outfield with Meyers, there are movable parts. That means McCormick and/or Siri could be pieces to be moved at the Trade Deadline. At Triple-A, Pedro Leon is producing runs while playing mostly center, and Corey Julks hit 10 homers in the month of May. There's no place for all of them. -- Brian McTaggart
Link

Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

Deluxe said:

It doesn't look like he's had much fun since 2019. He looks so dang tight out there. Don't see a ton of smiles.

I think the cheating scandal probably has effected him mentally more than he would admit. I can see him being a guy that wants to prove to everyone he can play just as well without the scandal and is therefore putting more pressure on himself than there really needs to be.
Fair point
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Are we in a position to just ship him away? I like New Jake as much as anyone but he's not a sure thing. Brantley will be gone next year and you can bring Leon up, but he may not be better than Chas yet. At worst he's a plus plus 4th OFer on the cheap for years. Too valuable for me unless we go out and buy someone in FA next year.
I kinda agree. I guess it partially depends on who we could net in a trade.

I just think there's something about Chas that the organization isn't sold on for whatever reason. We seem unwilling to give him an extended look despite the stats you mentioned above. Maybe it's a Dusty preference thing. Maybe a new managerial regime next year would favor Chas more. Not sure.

Without a crystal ball on New Jake and Leon, it would be tough to part with a cheap controllable guy who can lengthen the lineup.

I also wouldn't totally rule out Brantley being back next year. His days as a full time LF might be numbered and he'll likely spend a little more time DH next year (maybe some 1B too), but he can still eat quite a few LF innings, esp at MMP.
MaxPower
I joke about trading Alex but in all seriousness it's starting to get a vibe of the old change of scenery scenario. It may just be best for both parties. I could see him going to a team who hasn't had much success lately without much pressure and succeeding. A place like Colorado or Cincinnati with hitters parks would help build his confidence back up. For what it's worth, he has hit really well in Coors (shocking I know). He might also relish getting to pound on the Dodgers a few extra times a year.
Ag_07
AG
What about shipping Bregs to MIN for Carlos to come back and play 3B?
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

What about shipping Bregs to MIN for Carlos to come back and play 3B?
With Cash and a player to be named later of course
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

I kinda agree. I guess it partially depends on who we could net in a trade.

I just think there's something about Chas that the organization isn't sold on for whatever reason. We seem unwilling to give him an extended look despite the stats you mentioned above. Maybe it's a Dusty preference thing. Maybe a new managerial regime next year would favor Chas more. Not sure.

Without a crystal ball on New Jake and Leon, it would be tough to part with a cheap controllable guy who can lengthen the lineup.

I also wouldn't totally rule out Brantley being back next year. His days as a full time LF might be numbered and he'll likely spend a little more time DH next year (maybe some 1B too), but he can still eat quite a few LF innings, esp at MMP.
That is a good way to look at it.

Chas is New Jake and Pedro Leon insurance.
07ag
AG

fun bobbleheads later this year, dr smooth, king tuck, astrodome with removable roof
https://ts.la/eric59704
redline248
AG
It's such a weird thing with Bregman. It feels like he's never getting hits, but he still is 3rd on the team in RBI, and half of them came in May. His OPS+ and wRC+ are both still above average. I guess the lack of home runs and low-ish batting average are skewing perception? He actually has a lower BA than Yuli, but almost double the RBI.
tjack16
AG
that Astrodome one is DOPE
CFTXAG10
AG
I rarely get to a game early enough for a giveaway but might have to for King Tuck
Ag_07
AG
I'm not smart enough or know where to look but anyone know what the pitching probables are for the weekend series against MIA?

Headed to the park with the kids Sunday and curious who's pitching.
W
AG
MaxPower said:

I joke about trading Alex but in all seriousness it's starting to get a vibe of the old change of scenery scenario. It may just be best for both parties. I could see him going to a team who hasn't had much success lately without much pressure and succeeding. A place like Colorado or Cincinnati with hitters parks would help build his confidence back up. For what it's worth, he has hit really well in Coors (shocking I know). He might also relish getting to pound on the Dodgers a few extra times a year.
it would be really interesting to know what other teams think of Bregman...and if any would consider taking on the final 2 years of his contract

(or how much money the Astros would have to chip in to complete a deal)

redline248
AG
A little more about Bregman, if I did my math right, he's on pace for only 82 RBI this year, which puts him a significant chunk below '18 and '19. It would be right in line with 2017.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Memphis 7 said:

Scott Servais is the Bill O'Brian of MLB.
Scott Servais was the catcher the night I got to throw out the first pitch back in high school. He yelled "HURRY UP!" as I walked out to the mound.

A few years later I was at Wrigley Field for an Astros-Cubs game, sitting next to a kid who was there for his birthday. When I asked him who his favorite player was, and he said Servais (then with the Cubs), I told him he needed to pick someone else because Servais was a loser.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
First Page Last Page
Page 360 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.