***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,316,939 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd wait. His market isn't going to be great. If he's playing well into summer than offer him the same deal he's on.
Bulldog73
AG
I love Yuli, but I'd tap the breaks on that one. I would try to get Yordan and especially Tucker locked in first.
W
AG
I think Yuli would just get a 1-year extension.

the front office sure doesn't seem in a hurry to develop another option at first base
spadilly
S
Here's to a great year, fellas!

gougler08
AG
Let's do this boys
Pahdz
Ready for baseball. You have any messages you want me to pass along to Carlos when I go to Twins games this year up here let me know.
wangus12
AG
Ask if the massage therapist there is any better than down in Houston
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Call me kitty kat

Pro athlete life is rough
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Enjoy Minnesota Carlos
Farmer1906
AG

Big move
Mathguy64
AG
Big indeed. It cuts off any midseason trade to a playoff team.

ETA he's 29.5 so this is his age 30 year. This gets him to 36 but it's "only" at $25 MM per.
Wabs
AG
MaxPower
Bulldog73 said:

I love Yuli, but I'd tap the breaks on that one. I would try to get Yordan and especially Tucker locked in first.
Agreed. He's 38 now. I'm addition to Tucker and Yordan, Altuve and Bregman will be a year from free agency this offseason as well. All 4 of those guys are higher priority than Yuli.
Harry Dunne
W said:

I think Yuli would just get a 1-year extension.

the front office sure doesn't seem in a hurry to develop another option at first base
No doubt, 1-years for Yuli until the wheels fall off. My guess is Yordan eventually ends up playing some first base. He was working out there some at the end of last season. Wouldn't be surprised they ease him in to it as Yuli starts needing more rest.
All I do is Nguyen
Wabs said:

Let's hope this whole team is hungry especially after the disappointing finish last year.
Ag_07
AG
Tweet must've been deleted.

Who said what?
The Porkchop Express
AG
When you guys are ready to start talking some serious baseball, I'm ready to go.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
This is the final of six parts of the countdown to Opening Day look at the previous 6 decades of Astros' Opening Days

April 6, 2012: Rockies 5, Astros 3: My first Opening Day as a father, which is probably why I have zero memories of it. Fifth straight Opening Day loss, and the first of a new record 107 losses that year. Silver lining? First Opening Day start for Jose Altuve, who went 0-for-3 with a run scored. The rest of the team included Jordan Schafer in CF, not-so-good version of JD Martinez in LF, Carlos Lee at 1B, Brian Bogusevic in RF, Jason Castro at C, Marwin at SS, Chris Johnson at 3B, and Wandy Rodriguez on the mound. How far we've come in 10 years. Rockies scored 1 each in the 8th and 9th for the win and got a homer from Troy Tulowitzki. Lee and Bogusevic homered for the good guys.

March 31, 2013: Astros 8, Rangers 2: How do you break a 5-year Opening Day losing streak? Play the Rangers. In their AL debut, the Astros clobbered those dummies thanks to big performances from … wow, Justin Maxwell and Rick Ankiel, who had a pinch-hit 3-run homer off Derek Lowe's rotting corpse. It's hard to imagine losing 111 games in a year until you look at this starting lineup that featured 13 strikeouts on the night, including 2 from Chris Carter on his way to 212 that year. Bud Norris got the start and the win. Kudos to the 41,307 who showed up after the two previous years. How bad were we that year? There were losing streaks of 6, 5, and 4 just in April.

April 1, 2014: Astros 6, Yankees 2: When you've lost 324 games in 3 years, a 92-loss season is pretty awesome. Not to mention beating the Yankees two in a row to star that year. Bo Porter got kicked the the curb late for Tom Lawless but the team was starting to look a little more familiar Altuve, Castro, Springer, Marwin, Marisnick, Keuchel, McHugh, and Peacock all contributed. The good guys lit up CC Sabathia for 6 runs in the first two innings. Jesus Guzman hit a two-run jack in the first, and LJ "Bros before" Hoes hit a solo shot in the second. Scott Feldman looked like a genius on the mount, throwing 6-2/3 scoreless innings and only allowing two hits. That was pretty much Hoes' season highlight, he hit .172 with 3 homers in 55 games. Ditto Guzman, who hit .188 and was out of baseball after that year.

April 6, 2015: Astros 2, Indians 0: Hire AJ Hinch, trust the process, bring up that 20-year-old shortstop you drafted, and amazing things happen. Back in the playoffs for the first time in 10 years, and a third straight Opening Day win. Not to mention a damn Cy Young award winner. Kuechel, Tony Sipp, and Luke Gregorson combined on a 3-hit shutout to outduel Texas Rangers' legend Corey Kluber. Springer and Marisnick provide the RBIs.

April 5, 2016: Astros 5, Yankees 3: First road opener in forever. Astros score three unearned runs in the top of the eighth to break a 2-2 tie and Ken Giles only gives up one home run in the ninth to secure the save. Kuechel is brilliant for a second straight year on opening day 7 innings, 3 hits, 5 K.

April 3, 2017: Astros 3, Mariners 0: The beginning of the greatest season in franchise history. 101 wins, the AL title, World Series champions. Keuchel is almost unhittable for his third straight Opening Day win, 7 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 4 K to beat King Felix. Springer starts the bottom of the first with a solo home run and Correa adds one in the fourth. The opening day lineup: Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Beltran, Reddick, Gurriel, McCann, everyone's favorite LF Nori Aoki, and Jake Marisnick.

March 29, 2018: Astros 4, Rangers 1: Defending world champions take on the JV to start the year, and what a year it is, 103 wins a new franchise record, and a 20-10 start. Justin Verlander gets the start and throws 6 innings of shutout baseball. For a second straight year, Springer leads off the season with a solo home run and Jake Marisnick adds one in the fourth. Joey Gallo contributes 1 strikeout and 3 outs.

March 28, 2019: Astros 5, Rays 1: Another year, another record for wins 107 this time. Verlander gets the road start and goes 7 innings with 3 hits allowed, 1 run, and 9 strikeouts. Springer waits until the third inning for his Opening Day home run, and is joined by Michael Brantley and Jose Altuve.

July 24, 2020: Astros 8, Mariners 2: The weirdest year in baseball history has a familiar start, the Astros' eighth straight Opening Day win, albeit four months later than expected. Verlander goes 6 innings, 3 hits, strikes out 7, and is then done for the year. Brantley goes 2-for-3 with 3 RBI and Martin Maldonado is 2-for-4 with 2 RBI.

April 1, 2021: Astros 8, A's 1: A ninth straight Opening Day win, courtesy of beating the piss out of the A's. Part of a four-game sweep that saw the good guys outscore the dummies 35-9. Zach Greinke got the call and went 6 scoreless innings, striking out 4 without a walk allowed. Yordan goes 1-for-3 with 3 RBI, Brantley 3-for-4 with 2 runs scored and Bregman 2-for-4.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Big indeed. It cuts off any midseason trade to a playoff team.

ETA he's 29.5 so this is his age 30 year. This gets him to 36 but it's "only" at $25 MM per.

So they keep the super cheap this in 2022 and the cheap 2023 option. 25 per is for ages 32, 33, 34, 35, & 36. I guess this is fair. It's less than what Freddie and Semien got. But I thought they got too much.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Robert Flores was on the locked on astros podcast today, he mentioned Yordan is likely the long term first base play. I think Yuli will likely get another year, pretty cheap year to year option.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Big move
Damn. Takes away an option if Pena isn't ready.

But. Pena will be ready. So I guess it's a moot point.
Farmer1906
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Robert Flores was on the locked on astros podcast today, he mentioned Yordan is likely the long term first base play. I think Yuli will likely get another year, pretty cheap year to year option.
As long as get production out of Yuli there is no reason to not keep Yordan as LF/DH. Now if multiple guys out of Siri, Chas, New Jake, and Leon hit then you need to make room for Yordan somewhere else. That's a year or two down the road and a very good situation to be in.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
paying the reigning batting champ and gold glove 1st baseman something like $7M/year is unbeleivable bargain. would love to see those savings show up elsewhere.
Farmer1906
AG
Remember how good Cleveland was back 2017. I think they were #1 in the AL that year. We destroyed them, but that team should have been better for longer.

Brantley
Lindor
Ramirez
Encarnacion
Santana
Bruce

Cy Kluber
Carrasco
Tyler Bauer
Sunshine Clev
Andrew Miller
All I do is Nguyen
Posting these for use this season

Also

And

EABC_AG
I am personally not very optimistic that Yordan will ever be a capable defensive first baseman, but I think he can be an okay left fielder, which should be good enough.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
loma_vista78 said:

I am personally not very optimistic that Yordan will ever be a capable defensive first baseman, but I think he can be an okay left fielder, which should be good enough.
shano0603
AG
So surprised everyone let an amateur post the season thread.
wangus12
AG
Personally haven't forgiven Jobu for the ice cold bats in the playoffs last year
All I do is Nguyen
It is a new year, and hopefully Jobu blesses us once again like in 2017
dshedd41
S
Hey……..I was going to start this….

Thanks for asking….
All I do is Nguyen
dshedd41 said:

Hey……..I was going to start this….

Thanks for asking….
So, I was informed that my initial thread start, which emulated yours exactly, wasn't good enough and the TA council got it deleted for not enough gifs, AOFA and TOFA.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I just work here
dshedd41
S
No what I'm saying is usually the person who starts the thread from last year continues with it through the next year lol
dshedd41
S
Well I was going to start one but oh well…. I have a son now so I guess that's higher priority
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.