***** Official 2022 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

5,312,022 Views | 83072 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So delighted we are not gearing up for a game 7 right now. My heart, nerves, brain, liver could not take that kind of pressure. It feels so good to win in six and be preparing for a parade instead.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The Astros saved the American economy.
BadAggie
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yordan hit .192 for the playoffs. With the two biggest 3 run HRs all season. Most important. Longest. Timeliest. Biggest game impact. Fantastic bookends to the playoffs.

And if ESPN is correct here he's the first with more than two. In a an entire career. He had three this single postseason.

Not just clutch but crushed. Cluschted
McInnis
AG
W said:

so updating the list...and the list keeps getting longer...

the Astros have now won playoff series against 12 different franchises going back to their days in the National League:

Yankees 3x
Red Sox 2x
Rays
Indians
White Sox
Twins
A's
Mariners
Cardinals
Braves 2x
Dodgers
Phillies

How about Joe Musgrove?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

yes indeed -- it's fun to keep track of the Astros' playoff victims.

lots of variety on the list
Who's the best team we've beaten?

I'm leaning 2017 Dodgers.

Yep. They were the better team and we just outslugged them. It helped Yu was tipping and it helped that Roberts overused his pen. Specifically Fields.

We were the better team throughout 2021 and ran into two pitchers. I have no clue how to judge 2020. We were the better team in 2021 up until Atlanta and they were better I think. Or equal at least.

This year the Dodgers were a better team during the season and crapped the bed in the playoffs. Their pitching was pretty decimated at the end as well. But we were better than everyone we played.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Well that was random
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MarathonAg12
Test
MAT
AG
What was the deal with Schwarber fooling around with his balls last night on those 2 hits to left field? Seemed very distracted, probably thinking about his next at bat to swing for the fences (or attempt a bunt?).
Ag_07
AG
I think he's just not too good of an OFer.

The Phillies defense was playing way over their heads early in the series but the last 2 games they showed their true colors.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957984/2022-world-series-how-dusty-baker-astros-beat-phillies

There's a story in here on how Brantley tore every hitter a new one after game 3 and returned things around. Even though he didn't play he had a huge impact. Also we had a deal for Wilson Contreras and dusty said no. Worked out well in the end

Quote:

AS THE AUG. 2 trade deadline approached this year, Astros general manager James Click -- who was hired shortly after Baker and replaced Jeff Luhnow, the polarizing figure who oversaw the construction of the group that has reached the ALCS six consecutive seasons -- was canvassing the landscape in search of a bat. Since taking over in 2020, Click hadn't pulled off the sort of headline-grabbing deal Luhnow made annually toward the end of his tenure. But now was the time.

The Astros and Chicago Cubs were in agreement on a trade to send star catcher Willson Contreras to the Astros for starter Jose Urquidy, four sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. The straight-up trade was agreed upon, pending owner approval. That approval never came.

During the 2022 season, as the Astros churned toward a regular-season win total one shy of their franchise record, relationships outside the clubhouse soured, according to sources. Owner Jim Crane, who paid a record $5 million fine levied by commissioner Rob Manfred for the cheating scandal, took a more hands-on role in baseball operations. New voices, such as Astros Hall of Fame first baseman Jeff Bagwell, grew in prominence. And when Click tried to execute the trade for Contreras -- a pending free agent who is not regarded as a good defensive catcher but would've ably filled the hole at designated hitter that plagued the Astros during the postseason -- another prominent name let his opposition be known: Dusty Baker.

"Much as I like Willson Contreras, Urquidy was one of our best pitchers then," Baker said. "I needed a guy that wasn't going to complain about not playing every day. And this is his [free agent] year. See, that's tough. When you trade for a player in his [free agent] year. Everybody's about numbers and stuff, and I can't blame them, no doubt. But that's not what we needed."
Bert315
AG
n_touch said:

agdaddy04 said:

agproducer said:

n_touch, I hope your are planning some 2022 Champions Yetis! Take my money now!
hes already posted that he is along with plaques.

Decided to stay with the same layout. This way those that had one from before can have a matching set. I will also be running 2017 plaques if you missed out.

Probably missed it but how do we order?
Prosperdick
AG
We gave up a total of 3 runs over the last 3 games to the hottest hitting team in the playoffs including a no no. Unbelievable.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Quote:

Bregman in the clubhouse had disclosed that he had broken a finger on an eighth-inning slide into second, adding to a list of injuries that include Gurriel's knee and Altuve's hamstring. "Me, Yuli and Altuve all would've been out of the lineup tomorrow," Bregman said to Brantley after the game.

Didn't know about altuve
Dice
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I was feeling really good every time he was in, but I did not realize, looking back, how absolutely dominant he was!
75AG
Gordo14
EastCoastAgNc said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957984/2022-world-series-how-dusty-baker-astros-beat-phillies

There's a story in here on how Brantley tore every hitter a new one after game 3 and returned things around. Even though he didn't play he had a huge impact. Also we had a deal for Wilson Contreras and dusty said no. Worked out well in the end

Quote:

AS THE AUG. 2 trade deadline approached this year, Astros general manager James Click -- who was hired shortly after Baker and replaced Jeff Luhnow, the polarizing figure who oversaw the construction of the group that has reached the ALCS six consecutive seasons -- was canvassing the landscape in search of a bat. Since taking over in 2020, Click hadn't pulled off the sort of headline-grabbing deal Luhnow made annually toward the end of his tenure. But now was the time.

The Astros and Chicago Cubs were in agreement on a trade to send star catcher Willson Contreras to the Astros for starter Jose Urquidy, four sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. The straight-up trade was agreed upon, pending owner approval. That approval never came.

During the 2022 season, as the Astros churned toward a regular-season win total one shy of their franchise record, relationships outside the clubhouse soured, according to sources. Owner Jim Crane, who paid a record $5 million fine levied by commissioner Rob Manfred for the cheating scandal, took a more hands-on role in baseball operations. New voices, such as Astros Hall of Fame first baseman Jeff Bagwell, grew in prominence. And when Click tried to execute the trade for Contreras -- a pending free agent who is not regarded as a good defensive catcher but would've ably filled the hole at designated hitter that plagued the Astros during the postseason -- another prominent name let his opposition be known: Dusty Baker.

"Much as I like Willson Contreras, Urquidy was one of our best pitchers then," Baker said. "I needed a guy that wasn't going to complain about not playing every day. And this is his [free agent] year. See, that's tough. When you trade for a player in his [free agent] year. Everybody's about numbers and stuff, and I can't blame them, no doubt. But that's not what we needed."

Glad we didn't make that trade (obviously now that we won). Still having Urquidy is a big deal.
Mathguy64
AG
MAT said:

What was the deal with Schwarber fooling around with his balls last night on those 2 hits to left field? Seemed very distracted, probably thinking about his next at bat to swing for the fences (or attempt a bunt?).
He's not that good?
tremble
AG
n_touch said:

agdaddy04 said:

agproducer said:

n_touch, I hope your are planning some 2022 Champions Yetis! Take my money now!
hes already posted that he is along with plaques.

Decided to stay with the same layout. This way those that had one from before can have a matching set. I will also be running 2017 plaques if you missed out.

I'm in for both! Missed out last time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Hopefully they can get the GM contract worked out quick, can't wait very long with free agency. Bring back click.
AstroAggie15
AG

n_touch
Working on that now, hopefully by the end of day or tomorrow.
YNWA_AG
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hopefully they can get the GM contract worked out quick, can't wait very long with free agency. Bring back click.
Verlander seemed like a done deal from the crane video last night
Mathguy64
AG
Take my money. I beg you.
Silian Rail
Hope we get Verlander, Mancini, Montero and Diaz. Think the rest are probably gone
MAT
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'd love to see a graph of the Phillies hopes when McCormick made that catch Thursday night.
n_touch
Rewatching the game on MLB and the only reason that I can see Schwarber bunting there was to beat the shift, but why on 2 strikes? Did they move around more when he had 2 strikes?
MAROON
AG
Silian Rail said:

Hope we get Verlander, Mancini, Montero and Diaz. Think the rest are probably gone
I can't see signing Diaz. Both Hensley and Dubon do exactly what he can do for cheaper.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
BMX Bandit
Montero is gone. He's going to get a boatload in free agency from someone.
AgLA06
AG
We need bats.
OKCAg2002
AG
So when do we start a new thread? I'm ready for another run. This year was one to remember.
Bert315
AG
Will be interesting to see what happens with Vasquez. I see Castro not resigning in that case which is ok.

Only see 1 of Diaz and Mancini coming back.
thann07
AG
I wonder how much Crane is willing to spend after the Championship. Seems like season ticket sales should be very strong next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 2347 of 2374

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.