***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,299 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This means no 6 man rotation. Gotta feel for Javier a little. He's been pretty dang good as a starter.

In 19 starts he has a 3.42 ERA & 1.020 WHIP. Who wouldn't want that in their rotation?

As always, take anything Dusty says to the media with a grain of salt.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This means no 6 man rotation. Gotta feel for Javier a little. He's been pretty dang good as a starter.

In 19 starts he has a 3.42 ERA & 1.020 WHIP. Who wouldn't want that in their rotation?

Like we've discussed numerous times on this thread:

1) We're not going to a 6 man rotation so long as JV is here
2) Our "sixth starter" will likely be part of the rotation by May
3) We're going to need 8+ starters to get through the regular season
4) Our rotation in October will likely look a bit different than it looks to start the season
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

4) Our rotation in October will likely look a bit different than it looks to start the season
Fo sho.

We're going to need 810-972 innings from starts (162 starts * 5 or 6 IP per)

That's ~127 ea for 7 guys.

For reference here is how 2021 broke down:
ZG - 171.0
LMJ - 162.1
Garcia - 149.1 (6 in BP)
Valdez - 134.2
Urquidy - 108.0
Odorizzi 100.2 (4 in BP)
Javier - 48.2 (52.2 in BP)

Assuming JV is close to what he was before, you can slot him for the 171. LMJ will be way down, but I don't see why Framber, Urquidy, & Jake can't go up.
Ag_07
AG
If Javier is gonna be in the pen then use his ass. If he's not gonna be used keep him in Sugarland so he can get work and be stretched out of needed.

That's one thing I hated about how they used him last year. They put him in the pen and let him sit there.

Either use him or send him somewhere he can stay fresh.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

If Javier is gonna be in the pen then use his ass. If he's not gonna be used keep him in Sugarland so he can get work and be stretched out of needed.

That's one thing I hated about how they used him last year. They put him in the pen and let him sit there.

Either use him or send him somewhere he can stay fresh.
He was second to only Pressly and Stanek in IP out of the bullpen. He would have likely topped them if not for making 9 starts. He just needs more rest because in most outings he goes 2 innings or more.

Edit: I guess most of the guys we rode down the stretch got most of their innings on other teams (Yimi, Graveman, & Maton)
Deluxe
AG
Say JV gives us five strong on opening day and we carry a one run lead into the sixth. Who pitches 6-7-8-9?
Ag_07
AG
JV
3B Paul 97
AG
Dotel, Lidge, Wagner?
texasaggie2015
AG
Deluxe said:

Say JV gives us five strong on opening day and we carry a one run lead into the sixth. Who pitches 6-7-8-9?
Maton/Stanek/Neris/Pressley
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

JV
Would love to get his pitch count up in the 130s on opening day
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Deluxe said:

That's probably right
Deluxe
AG
Generally speaking, I feel like Click has done a really nice job restocking the pen. He didn't have much to work with when he got here, but now we've got ~6 guys I feel comfortable with in medium leverage (Javier, Taylor, Maton, Stanek, Neris and Pressly). Also got some upside wild cards with Baez and Montero.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Deluxe said:

That's probably right

Pretty much but also match ups. If there's a potential to get Ohtani & Walsh in an inning then Taylor likely gets an inning over on of the non Pressly arms.
Farmer1906
AG
Brantley goes yard. Wainwright has to hate us. We're ruining his spring.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer beat me to it
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Hahaha

Ok same situation...Who is more likely to make an appearance in the 6-9th JV or Baez?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Goodrum doing all he can to beat Bellingers spring training stats:

4 games, 7 AB, 0 BA, 0 OPS, 6 strikeouts
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

1) Agree
2) Potentially
3) Who exactly would those 7,8+ be...?
4) I sure as hell hope it doesn't or I think we will be in a world of hurt
All I do is Nguyen
Framber looking good today
Ag_07
AG
This Cardinal broadcast drooling over the Pujols signing like he's mid-2000s Pujols.

Jim Edmonds is such a tool
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Yordong to dead center

Farmer1906
AG
407'
.990 xBA
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

1) Agree
2) Potentially
3) Lance is 7 when he returns. At least 1-2 of Solomon, Bielak, Ivey, Whitley and/or H Brown will make a start this year. Also think there's a decent chance we snag a starter at the deadline. We used 12 starters in 2019, 10 in 2020 (in only 60 games), 9 last year. Alot happens over the course of 162. Injuries, transactions, guys outperforming/underperforming expectations, etc.

4) What if I told you at the beginning of last year that Luis Garcia would be a top 2-3 starter by playoff time? What if I told you in the beginning of 2020 that Framber Valdez would carry our staff in the playoffs? What if I told you in mid-2019 that Wade Miley would basically be unusable in the playoffs? Alot happens over the course of 162. Injuries, transactions, guys outperforming/underperforming expectations, etc.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't overreact yet, but that is a significant dip.

Farmer1906
AG

Looks down across the board. But this is his first appearance. I wouldn't freak out yet. (having to repeat this to reassure myself).
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

1) Agree
2) Potentially
3) Lance is 7 when he returns. At least 1-2 of Solomon, Bielak, Ivey, Whitley and/or H Brown will make a start this year. Also think there's a decent chance we snag a starter at the deadline. We used 12 starters in 2019, 10 in 2020 (in only 60 games), 9 last year. Alot happens over the course of 162. Injuries, transactions, guys outperforming/underperforming expectations, etc.

4) What if I told you at the beginning of last year that Luis Garcia would be a top 2-3 starter by playoff time? What if I told you in the beginning of 2020 that Framber Valdez would carry our staff in the playoffs? What if I told you in mid-2019 that Wade Miley would basically be unusable in the playoffs? Alot happens over the course of 162. Injuries, transactions, guys outperforming/underperforming expectations, etc.
"Will make a start" and "going to need 8+ to get through a season" are not the same statement in my opinion.

And what if I told you that if you expect new guys to have breakout magical seasons every season but that same guy not remain just as productive and stick the next year....that we wont be playing in late October. And what if I told you that theory didn't work last year when we probably lost because we just flat ran out of arms and the guy we were using couldn't do it for two series in a row.

Also what if I told you that when Lance comes back he isnt #7, in fact that would push Javier further away from starting not closer.
All I do is Nguyen
So when can we expect Lee to make it to the big leagues? Does Machete last all year or will Lee replace him?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Yordong to dead center

My favorite part is the fan who just goes "ohhhh" when he hits it. And the jack-wagon in the booth who was about to say he was lucky the wind wasn't blowing to stop it...piss rockets don't get stopped by the wind
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So when can we expect Lee to make it to the big leagues? Does Machete last all year or will Lee replace him?
I believe Lee will be Castro's replacement...not Machete
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Yordong to dead center

My favorite part is the fan who just goes "ohhhh" when he hits it. And the jack-wagon in the booth who was about to say he was lucky the wind wasn't blowing to stop it...piss rockets don't get stopped by the wind
I think the first voice was Dusty reacting...the Jackwagon is none other than Jim Edmonds
First Page Last Page
Page 177 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.